Free Will or Determinism
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-03-15 02:34:37
Link | Citer | R

Wow there are some major science misconceptions in this post :|

QM is a deterministic theory: you won't find any stochastic DEs in any of its equations and every wavefunction (or field configuration, in QFT) evolves uniquely in time under a given Hamiltonian. The probability comes in solely from measurements due to entanglement with the environment and decoherence. It's silly to point to QM as proof that "the universe isn't deterministic," because, well, the theory doesn't say that at all.

Dark matter has not been detected (although a facility in Minnesota maybe came close) and that's because WIMPs -- which is what we think dark matter is made of -- only interact through the weak nuclear force (well, aside from gravity)...which is pretty weak.

I'm not sure what *any* of this has to do with free-will, determinism or consciousness. There's some major confusion floating around here.
 Unicorn.Marrs
Serveur: Unicorn
user: Marrs
By Unicorn.Marrs 2011-03-15 02:35:25
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Eorphere said:
Unicorn.Marrs said:
Cerberus.Ethics said:
Unicorn.Marrs said:
Cerberus.Ethics said:
Leviathan.Narrubia said:
Also, consciousness is a bit of a wild card. The seat of consciousness is completely unknown (although it is somehow made to happen by the brain), and it could be at the sub-atomic level, for all we know!

Consciousness occurs at the cellular level, certainly doesn't explain consciousness in-itself, but not the point.

Is this your assumption based on your own reasoning or you have a test/experiment you can show us? Rhetorical

Neuroscience. Rhetorical.

Correlation is not causation.

At least someone still believes that

"Believes" Eh? Guns make a "bang" a big "bang" started the evolution of the universe, the big bang was started by a big gun!

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Eorphere
Serveur: Bahamut
user: eorphere
By Bahamut.Eorphere 2011-03-15 02:38:57
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou said:

QM is a deterministic theory: you won't find any stochastic DEs in any of its equations and every wavefunction evolves uniquely in time under a given Hamiltonian. The probability comes in solely from measurements due to entanglement with the environment and decoherence. It's silly to point to QM as proof that "the universe isn't deterministic," because, well, the theory doesn't say that at all.

Dark matter has not been detected (although a facility in Minnesota maybe came close) and that's because WIMPs -- which is what we think dark matter is made of -- only interact through the weak nuclear force...which is pretty weak.

I'm not sure what *any* of this has to do with free-will, determinism or consciousness. There's some major confusion floating around here.

Well I haven't made any claims about QM because frankly, I know very little about it. But, if QM can prove (not that it has) that particles can act randomly, then determinism is at risk. Now, of course, proving that they act randomly and not knowing why they are acting how they are are two very different things. However, I would say that QM COULD affect our beliefs on determinism. Not saying it does at this point... but I think that there is a real potential that it could.
 Bahamut.Eorphere
By Bahamut.Eorphere 2011-03-15 02:40:56
Link | Citer | R

Unicorn.Marrs said:
Bahamut.Eorphere said:
Unicorn.Marrs said:
Cerberus.Ethics said:
Unicorn.Marrs said:
Cerberus.Ethics said:
Leviathan.Narrubia said:
Also, consciousness is a bit of a wild card. The seat of consciousness is completely unknown (although it is somehow made to happen by the brain), and it could be at the sub-atomic level, for all we know!

Consciousness occurs at the cellular level, certainly doesn't explain consciousness in-itself, but not the point.

Is this your assumption based on your own reasoning or you have a test/experiment you can show us? Rhetorical

"Believes" Eh? Guns make a "bang" a big "bang" started the evolution of the universe, the big bang was started by a big gun!

Lol, well I was talking more about an actual correlation than an analogy, which is what that is... guns have no actual correlation to the big bang. Not to mention that even if you could draw a correlation, that argument falls victim to the false analogy.

I was just appreciating your understanding that because X and Y have a correlation, it doesn't mean that X causes Y or vice versa.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-03-15 02:43:26
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Eorphere said:

QM is a deterministic theory: you won't find any stochastic DEs in any of its equations and every wavefunction evolves uniquely in time under a given Hamiltonian. The probability comes in solely from measurements due to entanglement with the environment and decoherence. It's silly to point to QM as proof that "the universe isn't deterministic," because, well, the theory doesn't say that at all.

Dark matter has not been detected (although a facility in Minnesota maybe came close) and that's because WIMPs -- which is what we think dark matter is made of -- only interact through the weak nuclear force...which is pretty weak.

Well I haven't made any claims about QM because frankly, I know very little about it. But, if QM can prove (not that it has) that particles can act randomly, then determinism is at risk. Now, of course, proving that they act randomly and not knowing why they are acting how they are are two very different things. However, I would say that QM COULD affect our beliefs on determinism. Not saying it does at this point... but I think that there is a real potential that it could.

Particles don't exist: matter exists. Particles are a misnomer carried over from our classical understanding. But, given that, QM doesn't say matter acts non-deterministically. On the contrary, every single thing you do in QM is based around *deterministic* differential equations.

In general, it's kind of impossible to do science (which is in the business of investigating events and postulating causes for those events) when things happen for no reason without cause. And quantum theory is a very, very successful theory.

Even if, however, quantum theory did somehow undermine a strict causal determinism at the most basic levels of physics (again, it doesn't), the whole point of the quantum-classical divide is that physics is pretty different up at the level where things like neurons operate: any quantum effects would have been drowned out through decoherence long, long below the temperature at which a brain operates. So it's fundamentally impossible for QM to have any relevance at all to this issue, even granting a completely materialist understanding of consciousness, free-will and determinism.

It's just one great big giant category mistake.
 Leviathan.Narrubia
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Narrubia
By Leviathan.Narrubia 2011-03-15 02:43:46
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Eorphere said:
Unicorn.Marrs said:
Bahamut.Eorphere said:
Unicorn.Marrs said:
Cerberus.Ethics said:
Unicorn.Marrs said:
Cerberus.Ethics said:
Leviathan.Narrubia said:

Lol, well I was talking more about an actual correlation than an analogy, which is what that is... guns have no actual correlation to the big bang.
Other than, in our sample of one universe, presence of guns predicted a big bang happened every time.
 Bahamut.Eorphere
By Bahamut.Eorphere 2011-03-15 02:48:03
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Eorphere said:

Particles don't exist: matter exists. Particles are a misnomer carried over from our classical understanding. But, given that, QM doesn't say matter acts non-deterministically. On the contrary, every single thing you do in QM is based around *deterministic* differential equations.

In general, it's kind of impossible to do science (which is in the business of investigating events and postulating causes for those events) when things happen for no reason without cause. And quantum theory is a very, very successful theory.

Even if, however, quantum theory did somehow undermine a strict causal determinism at the most basic levels of physics (again, it doesn't), the whole point of the quantum-classical divide is that physics is pretty different up at the level where things like neurons operate: any quantum effects would have been drowned out through decoherence long, long below the temperature at which a brain operates. So it's fundamentally impossible for QM to have any relevance at all to this issue, even granting a completely materialist understanding of consciousness, free-will and determinism.

Clearly you know more than me on the subject, but what you are saying, then, is that every theory or idea in QM can be determined or is consistent with determinism?
 Bahamut.Eorphere
By Bahamut.Eorphere 2011-03-15 02:49:33
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Narrubia said:
Bahamut.Eorphere said:
Unicorn.Marrs said:
Bahamut.Eorphere said:
Unicorn.Marrs said:
Cerberus.Ethics said:
Unicorn.Marrs said:
Cerberus.Ethics said:
Leviathan.Narrubia said:

Lol, well I was talking more about an actual correlation than an analogy, which is what that is... guns have no actual correlation to the big bang.
Other than, in our sample of one universe, presence of guns predicted a big bang happened every time.

Sure, that could be true, but doesn't mean that it entails a valid analogy in THIS universe. Would be unrelated, really.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-03-15 02:50:08
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Eorphere said:
Bahamut.Eorphere said:

Clearly you know more than me on the subject, but what you are saying, then, is that every theory or idea in QM can be determined or is consistent with determinism?

Pretty much. There's no conflict, here. You point to a probability in QM and I'll explain what determines it.
 Bahamut.Eorphere
By Bahamut.Eorphere 2011-03-15 02:54:02
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Eorphere said:
Bahamut.Eorphere said:

Pretty much. There's no conflict, here. You point to a probability in QM and I'll explain what determines it.

Lol, I can't and won't do that. Really, you could be tossing a bunch of BS at me and I wouldn't know the difference. QM is far beyond my scope. I like to analyze determinism more in terms of logical possibility than QM. I am not saying that the bit I have looked into isn't interesting. I am just saying that I don't yet (and may never) understand it enough to appeal to it in arguments.

On a different note, I do want to ask a question about a bit I did read on it. Do anti-particles help explain the 11 (or at least 4+) dimensions?
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-03-15 02:56:04
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Eorphere said:
On a different note, I do want to ask a question about a bit I did read on it. Do anti-particles help explain the 11 (or at least 4+) dimensions?

Well, I don't know jack-squat about string theory, but anti-particles are already understood pretty well in a regular QFT framework. I can't imagine how their existence would support theories with more than 4 dimensions. But don't quote me on that, I really just don't know.
 Bahamut.Eorphere
By Bahamut.Eorphere 2011-03-15 02:58:22
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Eorphere said:

Well, I don't know jack-squat about string theory, but anti-particles are already understood pretty well in a regular QFT framework. I can't imagine how their existence would be crucial to any theory that uses more than 4 dimensions. But don't quote me on that, I could be spouting nonsense there.

Well, I remember reading (I think) that they seemingly come in and out of existence, and that the explanation to that is that they are traveling through the different dimensions.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-03-15 03:02:04
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Eorphere said:
Bahamut.Eorphere said:

Well, I don't know jack-squat about string theory, but anti-particles are already understood pretty well in a regular QFT framework. I can't imagine how their existence would be crucial to any theory that uses more than 4 dimensions. But don't quote me on that, I could be spouting nonsense there.

Well, I remember reading (I think) that they seemingly come in and out of existence, and that the explanation to that is that they are traveling through the different dimensions.

That sounds like gibberish to me :3
 Bahamut.Eorphere
By Bahamut.Eorphere 2011-03-15 03:04:27
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Eorphere said:
Bahamut.Eorphere said:

That sounds like gibberish to me :3

lol, might be. Like I said, I don't hold many beliefs when it comes to this. Just thought I would toss it out there since you seem to at least understand it to some degree. But yea, pretty sure I read that somewhere.

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Narrubia
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Narrubia
By Leviathan.Narrubia 2011-03-15 03:11:00
Link | Citer | R

Not like H. J. Morowitz is a quantum physicist, but he does provide an essay on the subject of quantum physics and free will. Seems like he might be pretty much wrong, but it still might be worth a read.

Also, I should stop joking around! Big bangs and guns are not areas of expertise for me!