Republican Leader: "Fuck Japan, Fuck NOAA"

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Republican Leader: "Fuck Japan, Fuck NOAA"
Republican Leader: "Fuck Japan, Fuck NOAA"
 Phoenix.Mogue
Serveur: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Mogue
By Phoenix.Mogue 2011-03-14 20:30:47
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
Eric Cantor (R-VA) pushed aside criticism on Monday that GOP budget cuts would compromise America's ability to detect a Japan-style tsunami and help allies like Japan with their own disasters.

The president of the National Weather Service Employees Organization warned last week that the Republican House's spending plan would cut funding for NOAA by $450 million from President Obama's proposed budget, potentially requiring furloughs at tsunami watch centers. Cantor was asked at his weekly press briefing about the funding as well as cuts to USAID, which provides relief to disaster areas.

"I mean, essentially what you're saying is go borrow from the Japanese so we can go and spend it to help the Japanese," Cantor told reporters.

link

because money > human lives

Oh, and our budget problems have nothing to do with the wars we continue to fight with a negligible level of benefit to the American people. Wars in which, by the way, Japan is one of our closest allies.

So yea, I'd really like to know what type of catastrophe it would take to wake the Republicans up from their dream that all our problems stem from the invented "budget crisis" that gives me flashbacks to 1995.

That, and I'd really like to know why the media refuses to call them out on the abject hypocrisy that they talk this way now but their enormous concerns always seems to disappear whenever a no-bid defense contract needs approval.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-03-14 20:44:39
Link | Citer | R

Republican's will be republican's
Douche bags will be douche bags.
Republican's will always be douche bags.

Too far to the right, or too far to the left is dangerous. What we need for decisions like this is balance. I'd personally never weigh money over human lives. Also most of the media itself is heavily republican or conservative so I'm sure it would filter out such comments.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-03-15 14:18:43
Link | Citer | R

Surprised no comments but this means at least 12 NOAA centers would shut down. Those help put out warnings to millions of Americans.

Also funding for the national weather service and geological survey would be cut. Can we really afford those cuts with what just happened in Japan? Also since spring is coming along with tornado season (Late March-July) soon after, Then hurricane season. Sounds pretty stupid saving a few bucks in exchange for possible human lives.
 Bismarck.Angeleus
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Munky
By Bismarck.Angeleus 2011-03-15 14:19:48
Link | Citer | R

It has begun!

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Silvaria
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Silvaria 2011-03-16 00:14:25
Link | Citer | R

As someone who lives on the Oregon coast, i.e., a serious tsunami danger zone, I can only say that this is, by far, one of the most anti-life things the Republicans have come up with in recent memory. To hell with those of us who rely on those warning centers...we're not fetuses, which seem to be the only ones Repubs care about, so tough *** crap! >,<
 Quetzalcoatl.Soube
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Soube
By Quetzalcoatl.Soube 2011-03-17 03:06:11
Link | Citer | R

Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
Fenrir.Skarwind said:
Republican's will be republican's
Douche bags will be douche bags.
Republican's will always be douche bags.

Too far to the right, or too far to the left is dangerous. What we need for decisions like this is balance. I'd personally never weigh money over human lives. Also most of the media itself is heavily republican or conservative so I'm sure it would filter out such comments.

I almost want to argue just because spicy agreed with it, but Skar is absolutely right. Extreme opinions (whether conservative or liberal) are extremely dangerous.