Bahamut.Dasva
Serveur: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-02 23:59:53
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Lolserj said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
My answer is that those "choices" we make were actually predermined as well. Including our attempts to change them. I also like it because it offers credible explanation for things like deja vu and people seeming to have some kind of future knowledge sometimes
i think this except more of a there's multiple dimensions going on at the same time for every little choice

essentially an infinite amount of dimensions
A distinct possibility. I always liked Sliders
 Bahamut.Lolserj
user: Andras
By Bahamut.Lolserj 2011-03-03 00:00:58
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Luces said:
Considering athiesm is a religion what's happening to force them to change religions.

does it matter
 Bahamut.Eorphere
user: eorphere
By Bahamut.Eorphere 2011-03-03 00:03:06
Link | Citer | R

Well, a lot of determinists believe that even if there are multiple universes, or worlds, or whatever you want to call it, then they would all be the same or that they started differently or had other variables thrown in.

For example, if determinism is real, then you cannot have a world in which everything is the same except me logging onto this site tonight.

Now, there are some loose determinists who might allow for this, but strict determinists I do not think would.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Serveur: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2011-03-03 00:03:25
Link | Citer | R

State Shinto.

All hail the emperor.
 Valefor.Pewpeww
Serveur: Valefor
user: Enygma3
By Valefor.Pewpeww 2011-03-03 00:04:06
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Daemun said:
Valefor.Pewpeww said:
Sylph.Oddin said:
Valefor.Pewpeww said:
Ragnarok.Nemesio said:
Valefor.Pewpeww said:
Ramuh.Lorzy said:
pastafarianism
No seriously, all religions are trash. Morals do not come from god, or tablets. You do not need religion to find morals, in fact you'd have better luck finding morals in the book of rick james than the holy bible.
I would also call this complete ***. To call religion trash is completely obscure and just shows a lack of intelligence. Almost all religions have a good general purpose.
Name one thing that religion offers that cannot be done by purely secular means, and is also based in proven fact and not fairytale afterlife unsubstanciated claims. Just one, i'll wait.
And you think secular means don't tell the same fictional stories to teach morals? The only difference between a religion and secular means is the religion uses their stories to bolster a supreme being in a specific theology. As I have said before, you can't prove or disprove a God or Gods exists. So what if people utilize religion as a means to try and stay within their God's or Gods' good graces and stay on a moral path? Atheists just hold morals to their own standards instead of fearing a God or Gods.
Still waiting...
If it were based on proven fact then it wouldn't be classified as religion, it would be fact. Therefore, you're awaiting an impossible example to a paradoxial question...
I wasn't waiting for an answer, i was proving a point. He made the claim that religion has positive values, and my response was the very few that it does have can be achieved by purely secular means, he was the one acting like it can't.
 Bahamut.Lolserj
user: Andras
By Bahamut.Lolserj 2011-03-03 00:05:08
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Pewpeww said:
Ifrit.Daemun said:
Valefor.Pewpeww said:
Sylph.Oddin said:
Valefor.Pewpeww said:
Ragnarok.Nemesio said:
Valefor.Pewpeww said:
Ramuh.Lorzy said:
pastafarianism
No seriously, all religions are trash. Morals do not come from god, or tablets. You do not need religion to find morals, in fact you'd have better luck finding morals in the book of rick james than the holy bible.
I would also call this complete ***. To call religion trash is completely obscure and just shows a lack of intelligence. Almost all religions have a good general purpose.
Name one thing that religion offers that cannot be done by purely secular means, and is also based in proven fact and not fairytale afterlife unsubstanciated claims. Just one, i'll wait.
And you think secular means don't tell the same fictional stories to teach morals? The only difference between a religion and secular means is the religion uses their stories to bolster a supreme being in a specific theology. As I have said before, you can't prove or disprove a God or Gods exists. So what if people utilize religion as a means to try and stay within their God's or Gods' good graces and stay on a moral path? Atheists just hold morals to their own standards instead of fearing a God or Gods.
Still waiting...
If it were based on proven fact then it wouldn't be classified as religion, it would be fact. Therefore, you're awaiting an impossible example to a paradoxial question...
I wasn't waiting for an answer, i was proving a point. He made the claim that religion has positive values, and my response was the very few that it does have can be achieved by purely secular means, he was the one acting like it can't.

i like how religion has positive values

yet throughout time

it has cause so many deaths
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-03 00:05:19
Link | Citer | R

Basically yeah. Since everything is strict cause and effect the same exact starting conditions would always have the same results...

However there could only be 1 main noticable difference. Like theoretically just 1 electron could've spun a different way when things started and it bumped around a little differently and somehow that caused you to log onto ffxiah and nothing else noticable at least till now happened. Things are too complex yo
By Alikat 2011-03-03 00:05:37
Link | Citer | R

i believe everyone has a right to believe what they will, myself i used to be christian but had a falling out of sorts and lost faith but then i took a bigger look and became a spiritual person as well as a religion i believe in. but you also shouldnt bash someone for believing in one thing or another. it lessens who you are as a whole.
 Phoenix.Ingraham
Serveur: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Ingraham 2011-03-03 00:07:57
Link | Citer | R

My only problem with the Norse is the whole neckbeardish white power thing they got going on. Let's hope they changed the requirements for Valhalla over the years. Plus, the hardcore ones are not too fond of ranged fighters; how often do people die in melee war combat these days?

Oh, and the whole "let's rape a slave girl to honor our dead grandpa". Ouch.

[+]
 Bahamut.Eorphere
By Bahamut.Eorphere 2011-03-03 00:08:48
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Basically yeah. Since everything is strict cause and effect the same exact starting conditions would always have the same results...

However there could only be 1 main noticable difference. Like theoretically just 1 electron could've spun a different way when things started and it bumped around a little differently and somehow that caused you to log onto ffxiah and nothing else noticable at least till now happened. Things are too complex yo

Well, if the starting conditions are exactly the same, but that one electron acted differently in another instance, then I would say that the world isn't 100% deterministic. I have heard some arguments about how some molecules or atoms or particles or something can actually act randomly. I am not a physicist and don't really know much in that area, so I don't know. But if atoms could react differently then I think that that disproves determinism.

But yea, I agree, it is complex lol. I have spent years on it, and still not 100% on any belief.
 Fenrir.Schutz
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2011-03-03 00:10:34
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Ingraham said:
My only problem with the Norse is the whole neckbeardish white power thing they got going on. Let's hope they changed the requirements for Valhalla over the years. Plus, the hardcore ones are not too fond of ranged fighters; how often do people die in melee war combat these days?

Oh, and the whole "let's rape a slave girl to honor our dead grandpa".

Plus look at all this ridiculous religious propaganda they've been releasing into the mass media...

It's shameless.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-03 00:15:46
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Eorphere said:
Well, if the starting conditions are exactly the same, but that one electron acted differently in another instance, then I would say that the world isn't 100% deterministic. I have heard some arguments about how some molecules or atoms or particles or something can actually act randomly. I am not a physicist and don't really know much in that area, so I don't know. But if atoms could react differently then I think that that disproves determinism.

But yea, I agree, it is complex lol. I have spent years on it, and still not 100% on any belief.
Sure it could be. It's a different world it's assumed that the starting conditions could be different. It would be the only way for different parralell worlds to be different if things are 100% deterministic since other wise things would just turn out the same. But yeah that initial cause is kinda the kicker. But aint it always in any belief system?

I think random is just synonmous with we don't full understand how something works. I actually more or less came to the believe over years on my own... then I stumbled upon it somehow... I think when I was looking up stuff about the themes and philosophies of the Sword of truth series and was like omg I totally already knwo that lol
By Artemicion 2011-03-03 00:18:15
Link | Citer | R

Buddhism
 Shiva.Flionheart
Serveur: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-03-03 00:20:27
Link | Citer | R

I think I get the thread of the day award.

Also I'm warning you people now, don't troll this thread or there'll be repercussions, just because it's a religion thread doesn't mean you can be twits.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-03 00:20:49
Link | Citer | R

Also there are various forms of determinism. Personally I'm for the strictest form since most the others are more less getting away from it and picking and chosing (which is what I hate about religion)
 Bahamut.Eorphere
By Bahamut.Eorphere 2011-03-03 00:22:03
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Bahamut.Eorphere said:

Sure it could be. It's a different world it's assumed that the starting conditions could be different. It would be the only way for different parralell worlds to be different if things are 100% deterministic since other wise things would just turn out the same. But yeah that initial cause is kinda the kicker. But aint it always in any belief system?

I think random is just synonmous with we don't full understand how something works. I actually more or less came to the believe over years on my own... then I stumbled upon it somehow... I think when I was looking up stuff about the themes and philosophies of the Sword of truth series and was like omg I totally already knwo that lol

yea, that is what I meant. That electron would have to be "different" in some way than in this world. But yea, I kind of believe that as well about "randomness." The second that the technology is developed to answer the why's or fix the anomalies, then the theory that it is random is thrown out. I know that it is certainly an area that could affect my belief on determinism that I know nothing about, lol.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-03 00:24:09
Link | Citer | R

Yeah it's much easier to see the interelations on the macroscopic lvl but not quiet as accurate.
 Cerberus.Finalvegeta
Serveur: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Finalvegeta 2011-03-03 00:30:28
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Flionheart said:
If you had to follow one religion, which religion would it be? And why?

I'd follow Christianity personally because I think the morales of the book are a really good thing to take in even if you don't believe in god.
Imo the morales have nothing to do with christinaty. Like, be nice to your family etc. That is normal to me. I'd follow Buddhism because of the reasons that were already mentioned
 Phoenix.Kirana
Serveur: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-03-03 00:33:27
Link | Citer | R

Agnosticism for me.

The only religion that I agree with in almost every aspect is Buddhism, but I could never devote myself to it.
 Odin.Gosuapple
Serveur: Odin
user: gosuapple
By Odin.Gosuapple 2011-03-03 00:33:48
Link | Citer | R

Lots of people keep saying Buddhism...
That does not seem adequately specific. Joudoushinshuu? Nichirenshuu? What kind of Buddhism? Real Buddhism wherein you can't eat meat or drink alcohol or half assed apostate Japanese Buddhism where you don't really believe or do anything?
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2011-03-03 00:39:39
Link | Citer | R

Atheism is a religion the same way that bald is a hair color.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-03 00:42:48
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Ihina said:
Atheism is a religion the same way that bald is a hair color.
Invisible color?

Actually atheism shouldn't even exist as a word. Do we have terms for people that DON'T beleive that elvis is still alive or that santa claus exists (besides grownup lol)? Same thing really
[+]
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-03 02:04:47
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Gosuapple said:
Lots of people keep saying Buddhism...
That does not seem adequately specific. Joudoushinshuu? Nichirenshuu? What kind of Buddhism? Real Buddhism wherein you can't eat meat or drink alcohol or half assed apostate Japanese Buddhism where you don't really believe or do anything?
Don't really have a specific to give you. Although I can tell you any religion that denies me Meat or Bacon, I will not be a part of. I love both far too much to give them up.
 Valefor.Endlesspath
By Valefor.Endlesspath 2011-03-03 02:22:55
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Pewpeww said:
Ragnarok.Nemesio said:
Valefor.Pewpeww said:
Ramuh.Lorzy said:
pastafarianism

A proven fact? By what standard are you attributing "fact" to - the one only you accept? Is it by a standard set by a specific scientific community? A standard set by the community of humans? Is it possible there are facts that are known not to humans, such as other non-human/earth civilizations?
 Asura.Alymorel
Serveur: Asura
user: Alimorel
By Asura.Alymorel 2011-03-03 02:40:44
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Lorzy said:
pastafarianism
Bob Rosstafarianism

Everyone loves those happy little trees.
 Cerberus.Irohuro
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Irohuro
By Cerberus.Irohuro 2011-03-03 02:57:43
Link | Citer | R

cant believe no ones said greek pantheon

<-greek pantheon (even though im agnostic not atheist)
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2011-03-03 03:27:54
Link | Citer | R

I would join Ishtar's cult (Assyrian and Babylonian goddess of fertility, love, war, and sex)

or Norse Gods/goddesses, because Thor and Freya rock.
 Ragnarok.Arcalimo
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: arcalimo
By Ragnarok.Arcalimo 2011-03-03 04:25:00
Link | Citer | R

Indeed all religions are completely trash, they all born with the same finality, control people using the fear as their weapon, and explode their money.
I can talk for cristhianism since once i was one of them, but at the end they all follow the same paterns.
If someone practice a religion is because they want to go to the heaven, or the salvation, redemption, or how w/e its called for each religion, at the end what moves the person to follow a religion is the fear, the fear of go to hell, or the fear to condemnation.
Religions are just the bigger sects of the world just they aren't recogniced as that, but they follow the same patterns.
Plus they are a lie (the base of bible is a book based on greek mitholgy but with other names, and they even negate the mithology when its just the same lol)

So well, if i had to follow one religion i choose hide or die for not following any, like a lot of people did on the history.
I'm glad that religion its losing power actually, at least here in Spain, new generation pass so hopefully it disapears forever lol

Also, Atheism isn't a religion, we don't need to believe in nothing to live, and we aren't afraid of hell or w/e, and no one steals our money.

Also, i wouln't think that call religion trash shows lack of intelligence, but the inverse, if you can really see what religion is, it shows you have really intelligence, you believe your own feeling, not what others tell you to believe, like a puppet.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Serveur: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-03-03 04:30:41
Link | Citer | R

I choose Darwinism

Leviathan.Niniann
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Ninian