DNC Decent Tank?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dancer » DNC decent tank?
DNC decent tank?
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 8 9 10
 Bismarck.Angeleus
Serveur: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Munky
By Bismarck.Angeleus 2011-02-23 16:46:45
Link | Citer | R

Yunaa! I want to be your dnc apprentice.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-02-23 16:47:46
Link | Citer | R

Minimum is 75% TP fed reduction, before things that give the "Inhibit TP" status like the Ninjutsu.

TP fed with 0 Subtle Blow and dAGI = 0 is the TP you would get before Store TP + 3.

This essentially works out to low delay jobs feeding a lot more TP, which is why low delay jobs tend to get Subtle blow traits. Because Dancer hits more often than Ninja (and lacks their Inhibit TP Ninjutsu whose name escapes me at the moment), they feed more TP.

When I was originally going around testing things post-patch I was seeing 0-1 TP move per fight from old-area NMs and was attributing it to me getting hit, not having quite capped Subtle blow, etc. This is because monsters don't always TP when they get 100TP. My general guideline is:
75-100% HP : Monster TPs if it has 300TP and the stars align properly
25-75% HP : Monster TPs whenever it hits 300TP
0-25% HP : Monster TPs whenever it gets 100 TP

So I'd feed little enough TP for the damage I was doing that the monsters would die before they WSed a third time.
 Ramuh.Lorzy
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-02-23 16:48:37
Link | Citer | R

what's agi to sb ratio? 2:1 or?
 Asura.Yunalaysca
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-02-23 16:48:46
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Sake said:
Asura.Eeek said:
But AGI Kila +2 isn't a damage dagger, at least I don't use it as such. I use one/two AGI Kilas to increase survivability, decrease the amount of time I spend recasting shadows, and decrease the amount of TP I use curing myself (I can't break the habit of curing myself after a big hit/nuke even with support around). I go with other daggers for damage. EDIT: And by the way (directed more at Dasva), my default TP set has 44% Subtle Blow: 20% from JT, 7% from Charis Casaque +1, 7% from Heed Ring, 5% from Charis Necklace, and 5% from Rajas Ring.

Bit off topic but.. What daggers do you typically use for a DD setup? I'm usually using AGI Kila +2 and Twilight offhand as thats about the best I have until I get a STR Kila +2. I also have Angr and Phurba but.. they don't see much use. Anything solo and I'm pretty much using 2x AGI Kila +2.
i personally use Daka +2 (until i finish my pie cutter) and fire kila +2

having the ability to use rudra every 2 minutes is kind of an addiction for me, and with abyssea not lasting forever rudra is quite nice outside abyssea.
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-02-23 16:50:09
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Angeleus said:
lol idk if you want to be mine, im more or less a loud mouth spouting things off in a tangent, byrth is a much more reliable person with these things ^^

@byrth inc inbox over flow
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-02-23 16:52:19
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Byrth said:
Minimum is 75% TP fed reduction, before things that give the "Inhibit TP" status like the Ninjutsu.

TP fed with 0 Subtle Blow and dAGI = 0 is the TP you would get before Store TP + 3.

This essentially works out to low delay jobs feeding a lot more TP, which is why low delay jobs tend to get Subtle blow traits. Because Dancer hits more often than Ninja (and lacks their Inhibit TP Ninjutsu whose name escapes me at the moment), they feed more TP.

When I was originally going around testing things post-patch I was seeing 0-1 TP move per fight from old-area NMs and was attributing it to me getting hit, not having quite capped Subtle blow, etc. This is because monsters don't always TP when they get 100TP. My general guideline is:
75-100% HP : Monster TPs if it has 300TP and the stars align properly
25-75% HP : Monster TPs whenever it hits 300TP
0-25% HP : Monster TPs whenever it gets 100 TP

So I'd feed little enough TP for the damage I was doing that the monsters would die before they WSed a third time.
now you got me thinking about Herculies
 Bahamut.Dasva
Serveur: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-23 16:53:02
Link | Citer | R

Speaking of agilities effects... um does it work for spells too? Specifically blu spells since blu is probably the best at giving and taking tp.
 Bismarck.Angeleus
By Bismarck.Angeleus 2011-02-23 16:53:29
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Yunalaysca said:
Bismarck.Angeleus said:
lol idk if you want to be mine, im more or less a loud mouth spouting things off in a tangent, byrth is a much more reliable person with these things ^^

I'm a taru looking to ascend.
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-02-23 16:55:10
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Angeleus said:
Asura.Yunalaysca said:
Bismarck.Angeleus said:

I'm a taru looking to ascend.
o, my neko has a fetish for kicking taru field goals :]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-23 16:57:26
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Lorzy said:
what's agi to sb ratio? 2:1 or?
iirc it's Dagi technically and is factored in some weird way not sure how much testing has gone on at each point though think you reached the 50% reduction cap at like 70ish Dagi?
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-02-23 16:57:33
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Speaking of agilities effects... um does it work for spells too? Specifically blu spells since blu is probably the best at giving and taking tp.
isnt uhhhhhhhhhh delta attack? pretty much all that matters for blu concerning tp?
 Lakshmi.Sake
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Sekaran
By Lakshmi.Sake 2011-02-23 16:58:22
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Yunalaysca said:
Lakshmi.Sake said:
Asura.Eeek said:
But AGI Kila +2 isn't a damage dagger, at least I don't use it as such. I use one/two AGI Kilas to increase survivability, decrease the amount of time I spend recasting shadows, and decrease the amount of TP I use curing myself (I can't break the habit of curing myself after a big hit/nuke even with support around). I go with other daggers for damage. EDIT: And by the way (directed more at Dasva), my default TP set has 44% Subtle Blow: 20% from JT, 7% from Charis Casaque +1, 7% from Heed Ring, 5% from Charis Necklace, and 5% from Rajas Ring.
Bit off topic but.. What daggers do you typically use for a DD setup? I'm usually using AGI Kila +2 and Twilight offhand as thats about the best I have until I get a STR Kila +2. I also have Angr and Phurba but.. they don't see much use. Anything solo and I'm pretty much using 2x AGI Kila +2.
i personally use Daka +2 (until i finish my pie cutter) and fire kila +2 having the ability to use rudra every 2 minutes is kind of an addiction for me, and with abyssea not lasting forever rudra is quite nice outside abyssea.

Ah.. Daka +2 is quite a ways off for me (1/30 on coins), the pie cutter even more so. Currently working on Verethragna and I do not see how I'll have the motivation for another.
By seiri 2011-02-23 17:02:01
Link | Citer | R

Right well, as for twilight vs auric, i persnally find the tp drain to be too low to be worthwhile. The subtle blow/dual wield on auric can be useful for tanking and DD when you dont need a second magian dagger - less tp feed, and higher tp gain. As Yuna said, Auric can allow dnc to hit delay cap without a brd, and the OP was requesting advice about lowman situations i believe - many of which may lack a brd or have a blm/brd for stagger ***, meaning no worthwhile marches.

I use kila+2/auric to DD, i know theres better but as a basic combo it isnt bad.

RR/VV/GH as a DD setup is fine. Cant remember the dex/haste major atma name yet~, but can replace RR nicely (although dont bother if you're already hitting haste cap, the DA/regain will outdo it).

I *usually* tank in RR/VV/GH also, simply because i can cap eva on 90% of NMs with just a little gear, 1 eva/agi kila and cruor buffs. As was said earlier, keep RR/GH as static atma (get RR asap), and aim for a selection of third option atma - eva/acc, -dmg, resistance atmas, etc.

Oh and whoever said about MDT builds, its a godsend. Fairly easy to get a decent build too, mermans rings/earrings puts you at 12% cheaply, merman's armour bumps that to 25%, total cost on my server would be around 600k~ or so. 9 pieces, just make a couple of quick hit macros to tab between regular gear/MDT gear as needed.

Make sure you get all, ALL the NI tier nin nukes, this covers an entire job's worth of yellow staggers, as well as being your default sub.

My gear isnt the best, but with halfway decent setups can duo or trio most NMs, including many NMs for +2 items like Bennu in altep, (or the NQ cerby for my dnc body seals~).
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-23 17:02:10
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Yunalaysca said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
isnt uhhhhhhhhhh delta attack? pretty much all that matters for blu concerning tp?
Depends on what you mean by concerning tp... and kinda depends on how often you want to do stuff. I mean blu spells give base 10 tp per hit. Would take 18 seconds just for the tp from delta thrust to get eaten without tp reduction...

Also I like it for fun and to help out but not to rely on since you have 0 way of knowing if you got the additional effect... lowing works decently and well there is 3 moves that straight up lower it... granted 2 of them suck but meh.

But yeah I've been playing around with the idea of evasion soloing on blu. With a few atmas and alot of gear can get comparable evasion to say a thf. Then just debuff, stun agas and smack it with a couple of spells while stealing tp... gunna require a bit of timing and making some new gear sets but sounds like fun times. And omg finally a use for macc swds (yeah right still not making them)
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-02-23 17:04:57
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Yes.

Asura.Yunalaysca said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Aside from the fact that the effect won't stick on some NMs, BLU multihits feed a lot of TP - 10/hit before Subtle Blow and dAGI. It's entirely possible to feed TP much faster than the Plague effect removes it, not to mention Delta Thrust itself is 3 hits. There's also Reaving Wind though.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-02-23 17:06:12
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Depends on what you mean by concerning tp... and kinda depends on how often you want to do stuff. I mean blu spells give base 10 tp per hit. Would take 18 seconds just for the tp from delta thrust to get eaten without tp reduction...
It's 10 TP/tic iirc, not 5.
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-02-23 17:09:06
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Asura.Yunalaysca said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:

Also I like it for fun and to help out but not to rely on since you have 0 way of knowing if you got the additional effect... lowing works decently and well there is 3 moves that straight up lower it... granted 2 of them suck but meh.

But yeah I've been playing around with the idea of evasion soloing on blu. With a few atmas and alot of gear can get comparable evasion to say a thf. Then just debuff, stun agas and smack it with a couple of spells while stealing tp... gunna require a bit of timing and making some new gear sets but sounds like fun times. And omg finally a use for macc swds (yeah right still not making them)
lol we have like 5 people in my shell that has blu and they almost convinced me to level it, until i started paying more attention and realised that they need an evasion set or they topple over like dominoes D:
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Serveur: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-02-23 17:14:17
Link | Citer | R

Dnc will work fine if you're holding the monster off some mages trying to proc Amber weakness or something, as soon as you put something that deals good damage on the mob, that job because the new tank.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-23 17:15:04
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Yunalaysca said:
lol we have like 5 people in my shell that has blu and they almost convinced me to level it, until i started paying more attention and realised that they need an evasion set or they topple over like dominoes D:
But you already have 5!!!

And I wouldn't say that. I mean until semi recently tanks didn't evade the mob occasionally missed unless it was like flashed lol. I mean ***rdm tanked :)

But yeah most nms would eat a blu that didn't go into it knowing and planning to tank. Ie spell and gear sets and actually knowing what they are doing and not panicing... and um the healers actually knowing to cure/buff them.

I think that last part is the kicker since I've yet to find a healer that actually does that. It's more like oh the actual tank isn't taking dmg!?! No need to heal!

Anyways /end derail since question was answered
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-02-23 17:16:59
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Dnc will work fine if you're holding the monster off some mages trying to proc Amber weakness or something, as soon as you put something that deals good damage on the mob, that job because the new tank.
BIEBER?!?!?!?!? WHAT THE *** IS WRONG WITH YOU?

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Asura.Yunalaysca said:
But you already have 5!!!

And I wouldn't say that. I mean until semi recently tanks didn't evade the mob occasionally missed unless it was like flashed lol. I mean ***rdm tanked :)

But yeah most nms would eat a blu that didn't go into it knowing and planning to tank. Ie spell and gear sets and actually knowing what they are doing and not panicing... and um the healers actually knowing to cure/buff them.

I think that last part is the kicker since I've yet to find a healer that actually does that. It's more like oh the actual tank isn't taking dmg!?! No need to heal!
yeah uh..... their reason was i needed to learn how to play a complicated job for once.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-23 17:20:09
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Yunalaysca said:
yeah uh..... their reason was i needed to learn how to play a complicated job for once.
Tell them you'll lvl cor then :)
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-02-23 17:20:19
Link | Citer | R

his songs are dope!
 Bismarck.Angeleus
By Bismarck.Angeleus 2011-02-23 17:31:57
Link | Citer | R

What's a Bieber?
 Bismarck.Maxse
user: maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2011-02-23 17:34:18
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-02-23 17:36:47
Link | Citer | R

BLU is really a very sturdy job if you know what you're doing but it's nowhere near as easy as DNC/NIN/THF/MNK tanking.
 Bismarck.Angeleus
By Bismarck.Angeleus 2011-02-23 17:38:24
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Maxse said:

Bismarck.Maxse
user: maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2011-02-23 17:41:10
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Angeleus said:
Bismarck.Maxse said:

Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-02-23 17:43:53
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-23 17:48:16
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
It's 10 TP/tic iirc, not 5.
Hmmm wiki used to say 5 but now 10 but needs verification. Idk 10 just seems kinda high given when I've used it how much it's helped than again there is that problem of knowing when it proc'd. Lowing is only 5 and cost over twice as much mp and doesn't do anything else lol

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
BLU is really a very sturdy job if you know what you're doing but it's nowhere near as easy as DNC/NIN/THF/MNK tanking.
Yeah there is no down time you are pretty much always casting something or another in order to keep yourself alive
 Bismarck.Angeleus
By Bismarck.Angeleus 2011-02-23 17:51:53
Link | Citer | R

First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 8 9 10