Should Prisoners Be Given The Right To Vote?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Should prisoners be given the right to vote?
Should prisoners be given the right to vote?
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Serveur: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-02-21 19:41:14
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Maxse said:
Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Wow some people are completely oblivious to the huge flaws in the criminal justice system.

Take this for example:
Two people can commit the exact same "crime" but depending on how much money you have can determine which one actually goes to jail and which one doesn't.

Do the rights of the person who got set free get removed? No.
Usually those who have never had to deal with the criminal justice system are oblivious to it's countless flaws. I've been *** over by it on BOTH sides, as a victim and as a 'criminal/suspect'.

So because the system is flawed prisoners should therefor be given the same rights as every other citizen?
Did I say that? No.. I was commenting on his comment of how people are oblivious to the flawed criminal justice system.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2011-02-21 19:42:14
Link | Citer | R

Different crimes should have different classifications. Some classifications can vote on certain types of issues (or all, depending on the classification of the crime) and some may not.

That's the only way I can see this working out. If you're, say, in jail for possessing heroin you can't vote on a law to get drugs legalized. But if you're in jail for being in an illegal money ring thing (I forget what they're called) then you can vote on the drug stuff, but not economic. You in for the big one (slaughter) and you can't vote on anything.

Maybe?
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Serveur: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2011-02-21 19:42:42
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Maxse said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Wow some people are completely oblivious to the huge flaws in the criminal justice system.

Take this for example:
Two people can commit the exact same "crime" but depending on how much money you have can determine which one actually goes to jail and which one doesn't.

Usually those who have never had to deal with the criminal justice system are oblivious to it's countless flaws. I've been *** over by it on BOTH sides, as a victim and as a 'criminal/suspect'.

So because the system is flawed prisoners should therefor be given the same rights as every other citizen?
They are already being forcefully removed from their home and put in small cell 24/7. Why not let them vote?
 Bismarck.Maxse
Serveur: Bismarck
user: maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2011-02-21 19:43:18
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Maxse said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:

Take this for example:

Did I say that? No.. I was commenting on his comment of how people are oblivious to the flawed criminal justice system.

I am just putting words into your mouth because you made no point. So you were agreeing with him I see but both of you are just complaining without offering any type of solutions.
 Bismarck.Maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2011-02-21 19:45:23
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Bismarck.Maxse said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:

Take this for example:

They are already being forcefully removed from their home and put in small cell 24/7. Why not let them vote?

Because they already proved they cannot abide by the laws imposed on them therefor they shouldn't be afforded all the rights others have.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2011-02-21 19:45:58
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:
Different crimes should have different classifications. Some classifications can vote on certain types of issues (or all, depending on the classification of the crime) and some may not.

That's the only way I can see this working out. If you're, say, in jail for possessing heroin you can't vote on a law to get drugs legalized. But if you're in jail for being in an illegal money ring thing (I forget what they're called) then you can vote on the drug stuff, but not economic. You in for the big one (slaughter) and you can't vote on anything.

Maybe?
On the other side of argument, you know how much time, effort, and money doing something would cost?

That why I said let people who have been sentenced to county jail time vote and let people sentenced to state prison earn that privilege back.

I agree people serving life sentence(s) really shouldn't get this privilege.

Valefor.Slipispsycho
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-02-21 19:46:47
Link | Citer | R

Wtf do you want me to do? You know how long it would take for me to come up with suggestions to fix the criminal justice system? The entire damned thing needs to be redone from the ground up. It would take me months, if not a year of solid work just to START to get something together that resembles a JUSTice system.

I can comment on what he said without needing to have a point, now get off my ***.
[+]
 Bismarck.Maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2011-02-21 19:50:39
Link | Citer | R

Wtf do you want me to do? You know how long it would take for me to come up with suggestions to fix the criminal justice system? The entire damned thing needs to be redone from the ground up. It would take me months, if not a year of solid work just to START to get something together that resembles a JUSTice system.

I can comment on what he said without needing to have a point, now get off my ***.

Oh ok well I guess I wont be voting for you if that's the platform you are running on.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2011-02-21 19:51:13
Link | Citer | R

I'll vote for you slip!
[+]
 Bahamut.Lolserj
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Andras
By Bahamut.Lolserj 2011-02-21 19:52:30
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Maxse said:

Oh ok well I guess I wont be voting for you if that's the platform you are running on.

if any politician talked like that they would have my vote
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2011-02-21 20:02:00
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:

Maybe?
On the other side of argument, you know how much time, effort, and money doing something would cost?

That why I said let people who have been sentenced to county jail time vote and let people sentenced to state prison earn that privilege back.

I agree people serving life sentence(s) really shouldn't get this privilege.

Dunno why you think it would take so much time and effort, unless you're thinking of rolling back to every prisoner too.

In that case, you do it generally.

Rape, Child Beating, Category x
Petty Theft, Category Y
Etc, etc, etc.

Just one more field in the SQL table, as they say.
 Fenrir.Eneas
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Eneas
By Fenrir.Eneas 2011-02-21 21:23:09
Link | Citer | R

The core of this matter is: Would you like to pay more taxes in order to get every single case assessed?

But then again even so it would not be possible to do that due to the numbers of convict (also remember that we are just in the post crisis).

And then the only way would be to create categories. that would be quickly destroyed by again Human rights group that will say rightly: why some prisoners are different from the others?

well, you see where is gonna end up already...
 Asura.Karbuncle
Serveur: Asura
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2011-02-21 21:31:49
Link | Citer | R

Giving them the right to vote doesn't mean they will. a lot of people who have the right to vote generally don't.

Somehow i feel someone whos going to spend their 5-life in Prison is going to care whos running the country unless their campaign is to Help prisoners.

Which would be over before it began judging by the general comments in this thread alone.

Now, Do i feel like Prisoners should be given the right to vote? Sure. Its not like It'd matter, AT ALL. Just because a Prisoner voted for someone doesn't mean the man they voted for is suddenly going to start killing people. Rather you vote for him, or a prisoner votes for him, it'll be the same guy voted to office.

Edit: And i mean, My grandpa was murdered before i was born, And the man who did it is rotting in Jail. Do i care if he gets to vote?? no. All i care is that he's paying for his crime. I respect our rights to vote, but really this is way down the list on "Things i care about for the people who have been sent to jail".