Random Thoughts.....What Are You Thinking?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Undead » Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
First Page 2 3 ... 22618 22619 22620 ... 22635 22636 22637
By Afania 2024-06-09 07:48:27
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Negan said: »
I'm a total believer in non-ASUS/MSI/Acer laptops now

Laptop brand is just a myth these days.... almost all major laptop brands are manufactured from the same handful of company from the same supply chains. 80%-90% of the laptops in the world are all made by same 6-8 manufacturing companies.

There is a high chance that your non-ASUS/MSI/Acer laptop is made by the same manufacturer as Asus/MSI/Acer too....

Personally I had the worst experience with Dell(sent to repair 4 times within 2 years) and HP(motherboard died in 1.5 years). My MSI was also quite a disappointment because of minor keyboard issues. I had the best experience with Acer because they are cheap and don't die even after 5+ years.

But some people told me my experience with Acer is just luck so whatever...
[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
Serveur: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-06-09 08:46:19
Link | Citer | R

Without RMA numbers, which no company has an incentive to share, I don't think there's any reason to assume we can fairly quantify which laptops are most reliable or best. I think there is a trend that when a few consecutive models are well received and builds reputation for a company, they cut corners on next model to coast on their reputation.

Ultimately, it's not in their best interest to provide a laptop that lasts much longer than warranty period.. first world consumers enjoy an excuse to buy new better tech. If it lasts for 10 years without issue, and you aren't using anything that requires more capability, they make no more profit for those 10 yrs. Same reason both apple and samsung got caught and fined for intentionally slowing phones down via updates.

Personally, I stay away from anything marketed as slim or ultra slim. Simple physics dictate that if you're heating up a GPU and spinning fans in an enclosed space, reducing that space is going to increase the amount of heat and vibration applied to other components. I'd love to see a modern laptop built like the Lenovo T430, especially the 2.1mm chiclet keyboard and mouse 'nipple'. Couple more pounds and an extra inch of thickness never hurt anyone.
By jubes 2024-06-09 08:52:59
Link | Citer | R

planned obsolescence is definitely part of it, but I have had computers that lasted 5+ years too, so it's not unheard of. my biggest gripe was how poorly the gaming laptop ran for what it cost.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
Serveur: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-06-09 09:00:20
Link | Citer | R

You fell for the oldest con in the book. Slapping "gaming" on it.

Difference between a "laptop" and a "gaming laptop" is just idiot tax. And unicorn puke, maybe.
 Shiva.Thorny
Serveur: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-06-09 09:09:56
Link | Citer | R

I don't think gaming laptops on the whole cost more than non-gaming laptops, often they are cheaper. If you go on lenovo or apple website and customize their work line with a decent gpu and good screen.. you're often looking at 50%+ what any of the mainline gaming laptops cost with similar specs.

If all you're looking at is the naming, typically a work laptop has higher build quality, costs more relative to components, and doesn't trend toward high end displays or gpu. A gaming laptop is usually lower build quality with a high end display and gpu.
[+]
By jubes 2024-06-09 09:19:49
Link | Citer | R

yes, I stopped keeping up with the latest PC specs quite some time ago. the only other laptop I bought that was billed as gaming was an alienware nearly 15 years ago. oh well, am happy with what I got now so lesson learned.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2024-06-09 15:09:37
Link | Citer | R

Now Youtube is recommending me full movies to buy/rent.

First time it happened to me.

Somehow it recommended that movie from Sidney Sweeney. I thought she was really gorgeous in that cover.

But i dont really like to watch those kind of movies. Boring imo
By Draylo 2024-06-09 20:15:57
Link | Citer | R

My laptop broke only a year and a half after getting it, been sitting there 5 months now because I haven't had time to take it to get fixed. Damn things don't last.. I did keep it on all the time but I did that with my last laptop and it lasted over 5 years
By Pantafernando 2024-06-09 21:04:44
Link | Citer | R

Well, thats the problem with statistics.

While maybe we will have 90% of our products living their entire designed life, there will be always those 10% that will fail early.

Try thinking like gamblers falacy: you had bad luck with yoir current notebook, that means the next one will have a long life
By Pantafernando 2024-06-09 21:06:27
Link | Citer | R

I had a 3h nap today, now i cant get to sleep.

Gonna try studying a bit to see if the boredness will kick in my sleep
 Asura.Eiryl
Serveur: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-06-09 23:42:59
Link | Citer | R

6 months later the january windows 10 update remains unfixed, how sad
 Bahamut.Zedoma
Serveur: Bahamut
user: zedoma
By Bahamut.Zedoma 2024-06-09 23:58:32
Link | Citer | R

The WinRE issue update?
By Pantafernando 2024-06-10 01:32:39
Link | Citer | R

Good morning FFXIAH data miners.

Know that Im protected by data privacy laws, and hereby I can demand you to delete my data.
By RadialArcana 2024-06-10 08:12:17
Link | Citer | R

The modern western video game industry is utterly insufferable and up its own ***.

Watching these video game shows really brings home how far removed western game developers are from their customers. The industry is full of annoying hipsters being babied and making far more money than they deserve, and the higher ups are all suits fluffing investors within an inch of their lives.

If it wasn't for Japan still making good games the industry would have crashed by now, it's held up in the west with sticky tape and addicts buying CoD and Fifa over and over again.

Now that the western companies are floundering investors are moving into Japan more, and that will wreck those companies too.
By Afania 2024-06-10 08:38:09
Link | Citer | R

Idk, I was watching new Xbox games showcase and I feel it it far more interesting than Sony one.....

Civ 7, perfect dark and Clair Obscur: Expedition 33 got my attention. I especially love the art style and mood of Clair Obscur. It feels like a modern take of traditional jrpg with higher production values, something I've wanted for years... I hope it doesn't flop.
By Viciouss 2024-06-10 08:47:57
Link | Citer | R

Wake me up when Take Two starts "floundering," then maybe I can take that conspiracy theory seriously. Until then, massive /eyeroll.
[+]
By Afania 2024-06-10 08:49:02
Link | Citer | R

YouTube Video Placeholder

Seems pretty cool. Not sure what's up with western game hate....
By RadialArcana 2024-06-10 09:18:31
Link | Citer | R

Afania said: »
Idk, I was watching new Xbox games showcase and I feel it it far more interesting than Sony one.....

Civ 7, perfect dark and Clair Obscur: Expedition 33 got my attention. I especially love the art style and mood of Clair Obscur. It feels like a modern take of traditional jrpg with higher production values, something I've wanted for years... I hope it doesn't flop.

There were some exceptions (Doom game looked ok, even though it's the same thing over again), but the majority of games made these days are garbage and the people making them don't even know they are cringe and out of touch incompetents. Dragon Age game will flop, and Bioware rightly being closed down inc.

Viciouss said: »
Wake me up when Take Two starts "floundering," then maybe I can take that conspiracy theory seriously. Until then, massive /eyeroll.

That's a good example actually. Borderlands 3 was embarrassing garbage that has damaged the brand beyond repair. Borderlands 2 was already borderline cringe, 3 just jumped headfirst into the concrete. Xcom as it was can't be made today, and the last attempt to was nonsense where everyone is friends!

GTa5 became insanely popular because it was edgy and made by guys in iron maiden tshirts who were in touch with the audience. GTA6 will not be these things cause most of the key devs have left and it's 2024!, so although GTA6 will make billions based off people loving GTA5, the outrage at the state of 6 will also kill the profitability of that franchise going forward too.

What western studios are even still competent and have proven it lately?
By Afania 2024-06-10 09:26:48
Link | Citer | R

RadialArcana said: »
even though it's the same thing over again

Right, because Japanese never make same thing over and over again right? /S

I was playing some Falcom games recently, it felt like the same Falcom game that I've played since 90s. The general vibe, story beat and design philosophy is the same thing that I've played for 30 years too.

You just didn't play Japanese games for long enough if you think they are way more creative than western dev, lol. Didn't you say you only play 2-3 games per year in another post? If you play 20+ Japanese games per year you'd start noticing the same tropes over and over too: that's exactly how I feel about Japanese games.

Biased opinion is biased.
[+]
By Viciouss 2024-06-10 09:28:08
Link | Citer | R

Making ***up so early in the morning.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-06-10 09:28:21
Link | Citer | R

RadialArcana said: »
Doom game looked ok, even though it's the same thing over again)
I'm not understanding why this is a bad thing.

FF transitions from turn based to ARPG: "this is horrible I hate it FF needs to be turn based"
Doom Dark Age doesnt deviate from its two predecessors: "its the same thing over again"
[+]
By RadialArcana 2024-06-10 09:32:36
Link | Citer | R

The first doom game was great (2016), the 2nd one ruined the formula with stupid restrictions and started to get boring, it's too hard to tell if the 3rd one will great or not but if they keep pushing out the same game over and over it gets stale.

The setting is cool but I doubt the story will be all that good.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-06-10 09:35:10
Link | Citer | R

The "restrictions" were added to Eternal were because everyone stuck to the meta weapons in Doom. Forcing people to use every weapon in the arsenal isnt a bad thing.
By RadialArcana 2024-06-10 09:38:28
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
The "restrictions" were added to Eternal were because everyone stuck to the meta weapons in Doom. Forcing people to use every weapon in the arsenal isnt a bad thing.

That's what made it fun, I know what you're saying but the devs lost track of the point of the game. To feel like a badass and have fun.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-06-10 09:39:32
Link | Citer | R

My concern with Doom will be the severed relations between Bethesda and Mick Gordon.
[+]
By Afania 2024-06-10 09:42:00
Link | Citer | R

Majority of those games will be on game pass on the first day. Which is good for customers. The kind of game DOOM is in my mind is log on to my game pass account and shoot stuff, have quick entertainment with good graphics and move on with life.

I don't need a mind shattering creative game for this kind of junk food experience. If I want some mind shattering creative artistic game I would be searching for indie games on steam.

Variety is spice of life.
By RadialArcana 2024-06-10 09:42:11
Link | Citer | R

Utterly braindead move to alienate him over money.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2024-06-10 09:43:34
Link | Citer | R

Gamepass is unsustainable, that's a trap to try bring customers back to the brand for future Microsoft consoles.
By Viciouss 2024-06-10 09:46:01
Link | Citer | R

Gamepass launched 7 years ago, it's fine.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-06-10 09:58:52
Link | Citer | R

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/business/microsoft-gaming-studios-shut-down-xbox-bethesda

Thats not a sign that "its fine".
First Page 2 3 ... 22618 22619 22620 ... 22635 22636 22637