Random Thoughts.....What Are You Thinking?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Undead » Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
First Page 2 3 ... 22483 22484 22485 ... 22707 22708 22709
By Pantafernando 2023-10-18 09:00:02
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Eiryl said: »
If the choice is 3 minutes of preroll, midroll, invideo sponsor and end ad plus patreon list and pandering for even more donos, then *** youtube.

So far, very few ads actually force me to watch till the end.

Majority of 1m30s ads generally are skippable after 5 secs.

In video ads are also skippable.

Adds during the play sure are more annoying than at the start, but i still never felt like pulling my hair from ads
 Asura.Eiryl
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-10-18 09:05:47
Link | Citer | R

It's just another layer of annoyance that I (we) don't need.

Skippable or not, irritating me is the one absolutely certain way to get me to not buy your product.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2023-10-18 09:12:35
Link | Citer | R

I actually find it freeing. Even if it isn't social media in the same vein as Facebook, it still feels like when I uninstalled Facebook from my phone. I realize I probably wasn't even enjoying most of what I was watching, I was just consuming it.

Someone pointed out that only about 0.7% people who use YouTube (2.7 billion) even use an adblocker (20 million). So they're willing to completely screw all of us over for less than a percent increase in revenue.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-10-18 09:15:57
Link | Citer | R

Lions share of the money is from boomers and their grandkids watching ryans unboxing toys on their smart tv that "can't" install adblockers.

Money fountain

Knowing that, they could just concede that some percentage is never going to watch ads, and just let it be instead of participating in the arms race to block the blocker that blocks the blocker.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2023-10-18 09:32:12
Link | Citer | R

Lions share of the money is from boomers and their grandkids watching ryans unboxing toys on their smart tv that "can't" install adblockers.

Money fountain

Knowing that, they could just concede that some percentage is never going to watch ads, and just let it be instead of participating in the arms race to block the blocker that blocks the blocker.
The problem is it's a literal monopoly. No other web site offers the service YouTube does, so there's nowhere else to go. I'm sure of the 20 million people being required to (finally) pay their dues, probably 19 million of those people will. At least until the adblocker software figures out how to bypass it, as you said.

It doesn't matter how poorly corporations treat their customers when they have nowhere else to go.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-10-18 09:36:19
Link | Citer | R

If only there was this law, like an anti-trust law that was used to stop things like that....
[+]
MSPaint Winner
Serveur: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Leonkasai
By Leon Kasai 2023-10-18 10:53:17
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
Opening youtube in a private window gets around the block anyway. It's not particularly effective.
By Shichishito 2023-10-18 11:09:01
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
The problem is it's a literal monopoly. No other web site offers the service YouTube does, so there's nowhere else to go.
Crackdown on add blockers certainly blows but there are lots of social media that offer video hosting nowadays and there are also youtube alternatives.

What i'm more worried about is that google chrome aparently proposed a trust token API. They claim it's to combat fraud and distinguish bots from real humans, critics describe it basically as DRM for the internet.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-10-18 11:12:24
Link | Citer | R

If only there was this law, like an anti-trust law that was used to stop things like that....

You don't understand how antitrust works. Youtube providing the best service in its field doesn't break any laws. For Google to be subject to antitrust for YouTube, they would have to be found to be intentionally doing something to prevent other services from becoming a competitor.

YouTube isn't a monopoly, there is no evidence of a concerted effort to keep other sites from competing. Other sites can't compete because no one else has tried hard enough or secured enough funding.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-10-18 11:14:56
Link | Citer | R

Anti-trust doesn't work. That's the issue.

We all know google breaks said anti-trust, there is just no reason to go after them for it. They just pay the fines as a cost of doing business like everyone else.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-10-18 11:18:29
Link | Citer | R

Realistically only other Alphabet companies like Amazon or Microsoft could afford to make something comparable to YouTube and I'm sure you'd complain about those too. So it's irrelevant really. The infrastructure required to keep something like that going is outrageously expensive and doesn't conform to a free for everyone model. Either you pay a subscription or you have ads (or in the case of something like Hulu, you pay for the privilege to watch slightly less ads).
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-10-18 11:23:01
Link | Citer | R

Google sets the cost of operation, then runs it's operation.

They determine the value of ads then get paid to run the ads pricing everyone else out of competition. Also own all the servers and all the access to searching.

It's anti-trust all the way down.

Not saying there's a solution to it (burn it all down), but call it what it is.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-10-18 11:31:15
Link | Citer | R

Ignoring how wrong your first sentence is, that is not anti trust. Once again, youtube (Google) offering the best and only good service in its class doesn't break a law. Putting ads on videos doesnt break a law. None of it is foul play. It isn't a monopoly. Nothing is being done to prevent someone else from making a competitor to YouTube. For Google to be violating any kind of antitrust or actually be guilty of making a monopoly, you'd need proof that they're removing competing services from search engines as well as limiting Google ads to only YouTube, in addition to making Google ads the only source of ads on the internet. Before that, you'd need someone to actually make a product that can compete.

YouTube isn't responsible for getting someone else to make a new youtube. Spoiler alert, there'll be ads there too. Closest thing to a new video sharing platform will be Elon's lulzy attempt at making multimedia more prominent on Twitter.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-10-18 11:33:40
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
Google Loses Appeal of $2.8 Billion EU Shopping-Ads Fine
EU court upholds 2017 decision that Google’s conduct was anticompetitive

Quote:
Antitrust: Commission fines Google €2.42 billion for abusing dominance as search engine by giving illegal advantage to own comparison shopping service

Quote:
Attorney General Merrick B. Garland Delivers Remarks on Lawsuit Against Google for Monopolizing Digital Advertising Technologies

You literally can't start a "better youtube" without defeating the google search gatekeepers.
 Shiva.Cerderic
Serveur: Shiva
user: Cerderic
By Shiva.Cerderic 2023-10-18 11:33:44
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
YouTube isn't a monopoly, there is no evidence of a concerted effort to keep other sites from competing. Other sites can't compete because no one else has tried hard enough or secured enough funding.
Google has been caught many times for stifling search results and 'hiding' competitor's results several pages down into their algorithm. The fact that you can search a video by it's exact name on Rumble and the first 6 results are unrelated videos on YouTube. This is not hidden or new information. But good luck suing Google.
[+]
 Fenrir.Richybear
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2023-10-18 11:39:45
Link | Citer | R

That's when I'll join in the wait for the blocker to block the blocker.
The ads at the start that you know are there are one thing. But random popups mid video (and not even timestamped so you know "hey, at 13:08 is when an ad or 2 will pop up") are *** annoying. Plus as per everything else media related, ads are always like 50% louder than whatever you're watching, so it's a mini annoying jump scare like "Cool, just checking out this new video lalala HEY *** BUY SOME TIDE"
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-10-18 11:39:47
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
Google Loses Appeal of $2.8 Billion EU Shopping-Ads Fine
EU court upholds 2017 decision that Google’s conduct was anticompetitive

Quote:
Antitrust: Commission fines Google €2.42 billion for abusing dominance as search engine by giving illegal advantage to own comparison shopping service

Both irrelevant to youtube. it isn't a shopping service. This is specifically for shopping aggregate and sale tracking in the Shopping tab on Google.

Shiva.Cerderic said: »
Google has been caught many times for stifling search results and 'hiding' competitor's results several pages down into their algorithm. The fact that you can search a video by it's exact name on Rumble and the first 6 results are unrelated videos on YouTube. This is not hidden or new information. But good luck suing Google.

Google can absolutely be fined if there's actual evidence of this happening. Rumble is a niche service with a small user base whose SEO would be tiny. Do the same search on Bing and see if you get better results.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-10-18 11:41:01
Link | Citer | R

"fines"
Make a billion. Pay a million. Fines are meaningless.
They just pay the fines as a cost of doing business like everyone else.

"irrelevant"

If they do it there, they do it everywhere. No secret, no conspiracy, everyone knows.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-10-18 11:51:03
Link | Citer | R

Fines are all they're ever going to be able to do. Since we don't live under the CCP or DPRK, the government doesn't have the power to outright end or destroy something that they themselves dont maintain. Again, if you want some new magical YouTube equivalent that doesn't have ads and lets you work on it entirely for free, go find a way to cross dimensions. Otherwise pray for amazon or Microsoft to make a new one for you to complain about for the same exact things.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-10-18 11:53:45
Link | Citer | R

Gov can break the company (stranglehold company has) but won't because money.

Merely acknowledging that it's doing whatever the *** it wants because they have the money to buy that power. And it's a broken system that could be better (but won't, obviously)
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Serveur: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2023-10-18 12:03:20
Link | Citer | R

I'd be a lot less inclined to block ads on YouTube if they didn't put ads in the MIDDLE of some longer works. If I'm listening to Mahler's "Titan", and I get a 20 second commercial for Diabetes Medicine just as the Adagio ends before the 4th movement, I start breaking things in my home^^

I'm still crazy enough to actually buy recordings in physical form, though.
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Serveur: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2023-10-18 12:04:31
Link | Citer | R

"fines"
Make a billion. Pay a million. Fines are meaningless.
They just pay the fines as a cost of doing business like everyone else.

"irrelevant"

If they do it there, they do it everywhere. No secret, no conspiracy, everyone knows.

oh- and any law who's only punishment is a fine is designed to only be a punishment for the lower class.
By Wordspoken 2023-10-18 12:09:16
Link | Citer | R

Well, managed to reach rank 30 in Warframe today. The mr test for it can suck it, hated it with a passion.

Otherwise it would be ok, but you can fall off so easily. Most infuriating way to fall off was... your own attack animation making you to take the dive. It can be hard to tell what's going on too... I ended up cheesing it with spamming engergy pods and spamming four (as Styanax). It got the job done, don't care.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-10-18 12:15:06
Link | Citer | R

Haven't played since they released Duviri, how's the new frame
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2023-10-18 12:44:12
Link | Citer | R

Wordspoken said: »
Well, managed to reach rank 30 in Warframe today. The mr test for it can suck it, hated it with a passion.

Otherwise it would be ok, but you can fall off so easily. Most infuriating way to fall off was... your own attack animation making you to take the dive. It can be hard to tell what's going on too... I ended up cheesing it with spamming engergy pods and spamming four (as Styanax). It got the job done, don't care.
Warframe looks like something I could legitimately enjoy, but I just can't get past its character designs. And I know there's "lore reasons" for how ugly they are, but that isn't enough for the shallowest part of my brain.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-10-18 12:51:19
Link | Citer | R

Idk most of the frames look awesome
 Shiva.Cerderic
By Shiva.Cerderic 2023-10-18 12:56:43
Link | Citer | R

I love Warframe. it's one of the few exceptions-to-the-rule for me on shooting games. It's fast-paced and chaotic--things that would immediately turn me off from a game. whether you just want to run around feeling over-powered and annihilating everything in your path, or you want to fully nerd-out on spreadsheets and experimenting with weird builds, it really has a lot going for it. on the surface, it's a really well-designed game, especially for being free. there's certainly a lot of flaws and poor dev choices made along the way, but you can easily spend 5-6,000 hours before you hit those walls.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2023-10-18 13:03:22
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Cerderic said: »
It's fast-paced and chaotic--things that would immediately turn me off from a game. whether you just want to run around feeling over-powered and annihilating everything in your path, or you want to fully nerd-out on spreadsheets and experimenting with weird builds
That's why I like Armored Core. Come for the spectacular fun action, stay for the tinkering.
[+]
 Fenrir.Jinxs
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Jinxs
By Fenrir.Jinxs 2023-10-18 13:04:01
Link | Citer | R

I hate the lack of continuity in the development process
They seem to have yet another new method as of late.
However playing through I hit a lot of unfinished sidewalk that lead to more unfinished sidewalk or idea after idea. Sometimes missions would feel cookie cutter and then I would enter completely new sections of content only to find them abandoned for a new type of content, repeat.

It is a interesting sandbox to play in and easy to get lost in trying builds
 Shiva.Cerderic
By Shiva.Cerderic 2023-10-18 13:19:26
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Jinxs said: »
I hate the lack of continuity in the development process

Absolutely no doubt. You'd be hard-pressed to find any long-time Warframe player who hasn't felt that way about a lot of the content. Pretty much every major Warframe content creator has expressed their distaste for the content rollout. They don't even brush it under the carpet, they just buy a new carpet and pretend there are no lumps underneath. Thankfully the game is fun as hell. Just don't look too closely at it and just keep shooting lol
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 22483 22484 22485 ... 22707 22708 22709