Random Thoughts.....What Are You Thinking?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Undead » Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
First Page 2 3 ... 20521 20522 20523 ... 22635 22636 22637
By Bloodrose 2017-01-08 20:04:50
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Liela said: »
Are any of you cosmetologists? I need some advice. (Don't click this unless you have ALL DANG DAY to read a long and boring story. Not even joking. It's long. It's boring. It's a story.)

Whatever, the point is, cosmetology. Advice. Smush them together, and that's what I need.
I recently got a new barber (in the capacity that I see him rather regularly, compared to getting my hair cut once every year or two, or three...

He doesn't post his politics as a business owner, and while it's also something I'd rather not discuss, while I get my hair cut by a beefy dude who's rather quick with a pair of scissors and a straight razor, it comes up, and being so far on the opposite end of the spectrum can be completely intimidating.

The better question is, while his political leanings make you uncomfortable, does his skill and professionalism as a cosmetologist leave anything to be desired, or would lead you to believe his chatter about politics trumps his business ethics. Chances are, he's looking for someone who's against what he's talking about, just to pass the time, until things pass by.

Personally, in the few visits, and conversations I've had with my barber, Frank, as much as we're on opposite sides of the political spectrum or how we view things, he's a good guy, and I trust him to be professional while he's at work.

And while some topics are not what I'd call customer friendly, given how your cosmetologist is speaking, I think you also need to let him know that there is a time, a place, and an audience for his banter.
[+]
Forum Moderator
Serveur: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2017-01-08 20:06:24
Link | Citer | R

The problem is that during and since the 2016 US presidential election, he wants to talk politics.
Mom was until her heart attack-retirement a few years back, I spent a lot of my childhood in a salon after elementary school. I read this far.

First rule of working in a salon, "beauty shop", barber shop, etc. as my mom told me was that you never discuss politics. It's terrible for business. The ladies will (and trust me, always did) have their gossip and whatnot but the salon employees would never really get engaged in any political conversation.

What do? Cosmetologists, what do you think from the other side of the chair? Would you want a client who was uncomfortable with you in any capacity? If a client did leave you, what reasons would be acceptable reasons to you? Other peeps, have you ever had to break up with a cosmetologist? How did you do it? Why did you do it? And does my even considering it make me a terrible, intolerant person?
The idea from the other side of the chair is you don't engage in politics; it's bad for business.

EDIT: And yeah, it can make clientele uncomfortable.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Serveur: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2017-01-08 20:08:14
Link | Citer | R

I would ask him, politely of course, to not talk about politics. You could mention that you disagree on several topics and to not cause your relationship to sour (the friendly-ish acquaintance one you have) it would be better if you didn't talk about these issues. If he doesn't want to or breaks the agreement just find somewhere else that doesn't make you uncomfortable each time.
[+]
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2017-01-08 20:10:46
Link | Citer | R

My usual go-to is that I just prefer not to discuss those subjects, religion included.
[+]
 Odin.Liela
Serveur: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2017-01-08 20:15:11
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
A wild Liela appears!

[+]
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2017-01-08 20:18:57
Link | Citer | R

One day at work, our hammer drill broke down so we had to go buy a new one. As we were paying, the guy at the counter made some political comment, he was a 'Ned Flanders-sounding ***' as I later described him, we did buy the drill but we haven't gone back since. Next one we get will probably come from Harbor Freight.

My dad and brother have never watched the Simpsons but when I say "Ned Flanders" they know who I mean, that guy.

Moral of the story is, you make little political comments and your customers end up at Harbor Freight. >.>
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2017-01-08 20:26:22
Link | Citer | R

But when it came up, my hair guy went off about how the police should go in and kick them out, they are only homeless because they are lazy or drug addicts, etc.
If I were in your place I wouldn't have been able to put up with that BS.

Easy, get a new hair guy. Right? But it's over politics, and that's not very tolerant of me to NOT tolerate his politics. Right?
Wrong. You don't have to put up with anyone's BS. He's entitled to think whatever he wishes to think, but if it annoys you then why the heck would you force yourself to put up with it? That's not what tolerance is about or why we need it in our societies.

Bloodrose said: »
and I told him that his politics don't affect his ability to cut hair
I wonder if this was the exact same wording you used. Because he seems to have inferred more from those words than he should.
Being a horrible husband won't necessarily stop someone from being the virtuoso pianist he is.

And does my even considering it make me a terrible, intolerant person?
No.

The way you presented this made me think you owed him something >.> you're his freaking customer, paying him money. He should be the one to be wary of annoying you.

So yea, just get a new hair guy.
[+]
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2017-01-08 20:28:19
Link | Citer | R

Yeah, you don't owe him your business, he's trying to earn your business and through that, your money.
[+]
By Yomisha 2017-01-08 20:37:05
Link | Citer | R

Being tolerant doesn't mean you have to deal with someone's ideas being shoved down your throat. Just tell him you respect his opinions but you'd really rather not discuss those subjects while in his chair. If he throws a fit, move on. If he's understanding, let him chop away!

Politics can be such a downer, who wants that when getting their hair did?!
[+]
 Odin.Liela
Serveur: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2017-01-08 20:37:11
Link | Citer | R

Thanks, guys. <3
[+]
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2017-01-08 20:37:51
Link | Citer | R

When I was 18, I got my first car and since I now had a reason to, I got my license (late).

Sitting at the DMV and there's this guy who won't shut the *** up, dude had that hateful look on his face, you know the look; receding hairline, male equivalent of resting *** face, glasses on a lanyard. Coupled with the look was the hateful voice. That nasally man voice that's usually spouting unwanted opinions.

So, you could hear him bitching about this and that. This was a week day. Woman and her teenage son get up, walk to the back out of earshot. "Why isn't that boy in school? It's a Tuesday!"

They walk out with an instructor, walk out the door. ***-man is closely watching as the boy gets in the mom's car and at the instructor's instruction honks the horn, flips the signals and presses the break. "Look, third tail light is out. A day out of school, wasted. If I was the instructor, I'd have told him to come back one a day when he didn't have school." he keeps going on and on, one of the women he was ear-violating acts like her phone vibrated and she gets up and walks outside. Everyone else has the same look in their eyes "please, please make him shut the *** up."

I dunno why this came to mind but it did. >.>
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
Serveur: Asura
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2017-01-08 20:41:25
Link | Citer | R

To me it sounds like he's kind of like your friend, in a way? I'd go with something similar to what Drac said. Just tell him you don't want to discuss politics, and if he keeps bringing it up, then find a new hair place and don't feel too bad about it. I mean, imo, it sounds like he feels like you're a good listener and non-judgmental, and that you can hear differing viewpoints without being bothered. But you are bothered, so you should let him know. He might be a little crestfallen, he might even get a little defensive, but either he'll respect you as he should, or you will get a new hair guy or gal.

I don't expect the political talk will be disappearing this month though, due to the inauguration.

But really, either way it goes, don't feel bad Liela.
[+]
MSPaint Winner
By Skjalfeirdotter 2017-01-08 21:00:06
Link | Citer | R

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ3kV3Icm28
MSPaint Winner
By Skjalfeirdotter 2017-01-08 21:02:31
Link | Citer | R

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO6HZZHYYI4
By Bloodrose 2017-01-08 21:09:08
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Zeig said: »
But when it came up, my hair guy went off about how the police should go in and kick them out, they are only homeless because they are lazy or drug addicts, etc.
If I were in your place I wouldn't have been able to put up with that BS.

Easy, get a new hair guy. Right? But it's over politics, and that's not very tolerant of me to NOT tolerate his politics. Right?
Wrong. You don't have to put up with anyone's BS. He's entitled to think whatever he wishes to think, but if it annoys you then why the heck would you force yourself to put up with it? That's not what tolerance is about or why we need it in our societies.

and I told him that his politics don't affect his ability to cut hair

I wonder if this was the exact same wording you used. Because he seems to have inferred more from those words than he should.
Being a horrible husband won't necessarily stop someone from being the virtuoso pianist he is.

And does my even considering it make me a terrible, intolerant person?
No.

The way you presented this made me think you owed him something >.> you're his freaking customer, paying him money. He should be the one to be wary of annoying you.

So yea, just get a new hair guy.
Quoted the wrong person in the bolded.
By fonewear 2017-01-08 21:16:45
Link | Citer | R

This is pure art:

You know what I'm saying:

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2017-01-08 21:27:36
Link | Citer | R

Bloodrose said:
Take off your top and get killed by Greg Kinnear.
Troof.
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
By Asura.Vyre 2017-01-08 21:34:11
Link | Citer | R

Did someone say Dr. Tran?
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2017-01-08 21:36:49
Link | Citer | R

EVERYTHING IS F*CKING WONDERFUL!!
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
By Asura.Vyre 2017-01-08 21:39:36
Link | Citer | R

Shouldn't you be sucking kite string out of your mom's birthday wig?

That's not ***, that's some corn in a frisbee paired with a copy of old hudson hawk... YOU'VE GOT THE RIGHT IDEA!
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2017-01-08 21:44:21
Link | Citer | R

This is by far my favorite Dr. Tran vid:

[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2017-01-08 21:51:50
Link | Citer | R

[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2017-01-08 21:53:20
Link | Citer | R

Made me think of Kali

[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2017-01-08 22:01:11
Link | Citer | R

Lina
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zeig
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2017-01-08 22:08:39
Link | Citer | R

Quoted the wrong person in the bolded.
I quoted Liela's quote from your post...somehow I expected that to work lol
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Serveur: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2017-01-08 23:25:48
Link | Citer | R

So I ended up qutting FFXIV only after a week. It wasnt like FFXI. I really wanted to like this MMORPG.

Did anyone else have this same sentiment?
[+]
 Shiva.Spathaian
Serveur: Shiva
user: Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2017-01-08 23:37:01
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »
So I ended up qutting FFXIV only after a week. It wasnt like FFXI. I really wanted to like this MMORPG.

Did anyone else have this same sentiment?
Many did.

They're very different games. Going in with the mindset that it will be in any way like FFXI will get you burned.

Sadly, FFXI style games aren't something that happen often if at all anymore. The entire system was rather unique not just for its time but in general.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Hevans
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2017-01-08 23:46:14
Link | Citer | R

i think a big part of it has to do with the fact that many of us started xi in a world with no walkthroughs and alt-tab crashed your game. you had to print off, write down, or have an extra computer to look stuff up. you didn't have a smart phone or tablet back then. nothing in 2017 is likely to be released without a full blown wiki with leaks on everything within 4 seconds. that experience plus, what were honestly some weird as hell, but ultimately surprisingly intuitive controls that will never be used in any other game ever, make it a rare gem.

can you imagine if ffxi was released today in it's original release state? no one would stand for having to learn the system. you should be able to beat it on day one! no one could take dying to wild rabbits and orcs for 5 hours.
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Serveur: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2017-01-08 23:52:06
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Hevans said: »
i think a big part of it has to do with the fact that many of us started xi in a world with no walkthroughs and alt-tab crashed your game. you had to print off, write down, or have an extra computer to look stuff up. you didn't have a smart phone or tablet back then. nothing in 2017 is likely to be released without a full blown wiki with leaks on everything within 4 seconds. that experience plus, what were honestly some weird as hell, but ultimately surprisingly intuitive controls that will never be used in any other game ever, make it a rare gem.

can you imagine if ffxi was released today in it's original release state? no one would stand for having to learn the system. you should be able to beat it on day one! no one could take dying to wild rabbits and orcs for 5 hours.

My biggest thing with FFXIV is the dungeon system and the duration. They are so long I find myself falling asleep by the end of a dungeon.
MSPaint Winner
By Ohji Lunartail 2017-01-09 00:01:21
Link | Citer | R

constatine is coming back~
well ablitly animated, but will be helmmed by the same team as the tv series, and will have Matt Ryan return ~ i loved the show and NBC basically throwing it under the bus despite how well it did and the number of fans was kinda slap in the face. its a win for its fans <tho i would of loved a continuation> but its a win none the less. <also Matt Ryan has stated he will be returning to the DC shows next season on the CW, to what extent who knows>

if anyone gets the chance to watch the original 13 episodes, do it <they are free on CWs streaming service as well as places online.

[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 20521 20522 20523 ... 22635 22636 22637