Random Thoughts.....What Are You Thinking?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Undead » Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
First Page 2 3 ... 20500 20501 20502 ... 22715 22716 22717
 Asura.Vienner
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Vienner 2017-01-05 03:27:07
Link | Citer | R

For those who made newyear resolutions on weight loss, they came up with a new word "overfat" and according to this cake/pie chart almost everyone is overfat or worse.
 Ragnarok.Hevans
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2017-01-05 03:56:52
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Vienner said: »
For those who made newyear resolutions on weight loss, they came up with a new word "overfat" and according to this cake/pie chart almost everyone is overfat or worse.

lol and they put it on a pie chart XD
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2017-01-05 04:35:03
Link | Citer | R

YouTube Video Placeholder

lmao
By Faelar 2017-01-05 04:49:52
Link | Citer | R

[+]
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
Serveur: Sylph
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2017-01-05 06:32:41
Link | Citer | R

My brothers got this cold i have as well. He's been at his friends for the last two days, and has come home like "Is lina ill too?"
They've been nursing him in bristol
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2017-01-05 06:57:48
Link | Citer | R

Happens when making out with someone who has a cold to catch it too!
By Ramyrez 2017-01-05 07:15:29
Link | Citer | R

What the hell is this even from?

Putting "overweight and obese" together is problematic in and of itself. BMI 25-30 is significantly different from 30-35. 25-30 isn't ideal* but it's also not incredibly awful, whereas 30+ actually does significantly increase your risk of metabolic and joint-related disorders.

No to mention it doesn't even include BMIs or body fat percentages for these ranges?

*using BMI as it applies to most people. The "BMI is bad because athletes and bodybuilders" is idiotic as most people aren't even close to approaching the type of muscle mass and low body fat needed to make that apply.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2017-01-05 07:26:43
Link | Citer | R

Ramyrez said: »
The "BMI is bad because athletes and bodybuilders" is idiotic as most people aren't even close to approaching the type of muscle mass and low body fat needed to make that apply.

Citation needed as it's a stupid scale.
By Ramyrez 2017-01-05 07:34:42
Link | Citer | R

Jetackuu said: »
The "BMI is bad because athletes and bodybuilders" is idiotic as most people aren't even close to approaching the type of muscle mass and low body fat needed to make that apply.

No, it's not stupid. It's imperfect and can't be used optimally without other input and individual considerations, but it's not stupid.

Edit: also, pedantry aside, the point I was actually making remains. The graph is decidedly lacking in any solid information.
[+]
 Asura.Ina
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2017-01-05 07:43:46
Link | Citer | R

Putting "overweight and obese" together is problematic in and of itself. BMI 25-30 is significantly different from 30-35. 25-30 isn't ideal* but it's also not incredibly awful, whereas 30+ actually does significantly increase your risk of metabolic and joint-related disorders.

No to mention it doesn't even include BMIs or body fat percentages for these ranges?
I would think the biggest red flag should be the implication that 90% of the worlds population is fed at least adequately.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2017-01-05 07:46:51
Link | Citer | R

Another good point.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2017-01-05 08:00:28
Link | Citer | R

No, it's not stupid. It's imperfect and can't be used optimally without other input and individual considerations, but it's not stupid.

Edit: also, pedantry aside, the point I was actually making remains. The graph is decidedly lacking in any solid information.

Yet it is. It was never intended to be used to measure what it's used to measure, even the creator of the formula said it's flawed and why. At the least it's unscientific and there's better methods to be used.
By Ramyrez 2017-01-05 08:05:39
Link | Citer | R

It's one measurement. No one single measurement can gauge your overall health or fitness. It's a starting point and that's all. There are better methods that can be employed, yes, but none that are as readily available without additional measurements and (potentially) equipment.

And all of this is irrelevant because (I'm estimating) 90% of the people who cry about BMI being "inaccurate representations of health" are really fat people who don't want to admit that their obesity is a huge health problem.
 Asura.Vienner
By Asura.Vienner 2017-01-05 08:07:14
Link | Citer | R

*using BMI as it applies to most people. The "BMI is bad because athletes and bodybuilders" is idiotic as most people aren't even close to approaching the type of muscle mass and low body fat needed to make that apply.
its from frontiers in public health
its quite an intresting article, and they do say that only taking BMI into concideration is very vague and doesnt apply to everyone.
 Asura.Vienner
By Asura.Vienner 2017-01-05 08:09:24
Link | Citer | R

It's one measurement. No one single measurement can gauge your overall health or fitness. It's a starting point and that's all. There are better methods that can be employed, yes, but none that are as readily available without additional measurements and (potentially) equipment.

And all of this is irrelevant because (I'm estimating) 90% of the people who cry about BMI being "inaccurate representations of health" are really fat people who don't want to admit that their obesity is a huge health problem.
I always think its funny people talk about people with high BMI as a health risk while vice versa with low BMI (underweight) there are other health risks which are as dangerous.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2017-01-05 08:10:16
Link | Citer | R

So is this graph trying to tell me that India and China, the sources of over half of the world's population, have at least a third of their combined population as overweight/obese?

Hahaha
[+]
By Ramyrez 2017-01-05 08:12:28
Link | Citer | R

I always think its funny people talk about people with high BMI as a health risk while vice versa with low BMI (underweight) there are other health risks which are as dangerous.

This is a social issue, though. It's more socially acceptable to be "too skinny."

Also a problem, just not the one I'm highlighting at the moment.

BMI isn't awesome. But it isn't the boogeyman a lot of people seem to think it is, either. It is imperfect, it is not entirely useless. I don't want to defend it to stalwartly, as it does have major flaws and shouldn't be used alone for anything, especially not for determining costs of treatment nor insurance premiums.

But people who complain that it misrepresents them are -- in the U.S. at least -- frequently people who are using this as a bit of dodge to excuse their obesity.
By Jetackuu 2017-01-05 08:13:32
Link | Citer | R

It's utter crap and that's all.
ftfy

Again: citation needed.
By Ramyrez 2017-01-05 08:16:18
Link | Citer | R

Okay, wizard and knower of everything.

What's a better starting point that's as easily calculable?
 Asura.Vienner
By Asura.Vienner 2017-01-05 08:16:18
Link | Citer | R

This is a social issue, though. It's more socially acceptable to be "too skinny."
Its not socially accepted, should see the looks I get daily when people find out I have two children, they look up and down and ic them think anorexia. Plus the remarks of people asking how I can keep my figure like this.
It gets kinda weird at times when you get asked daily about it.
By Ramyrez 2017-01-05 08:18:09
Link | Citer | R

I didn't say 90% of the scientific criticism leveled at it. I said "people crying." Talking about the internet here. Not rational discussion in peer-reviewed articles.
By Jetackuu 2017-01-05 08:18:48
Link | Citer | R

Okay, wizard and knower of everything.

That's the thing it's not an easy calculation. Hence why it's utter garbage and should be treated as such.

There's different measurements for different things, you want a single scale for overall fitness? HA!

But for the lulz:

http://www.thecalculatorsite.com/articles/health/alternatives-to-bmi.php
By Jetackuu 2017-01-05 08:19:11
Link | Citer | R

I didn't say 90% of the scientific criticism leveled at it. I said "people crying." Talking about the internet here. Not rational discussion in peer-reviewed articles.

Again, citation needed.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-01-05 08:20:07
Link | Citer | R

How well a person bleeds.

Fat people bleed pretty well, from my experience.

/takes a few more samples.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-01-05 08:21:08
Link | Citer | R

Also: My need to create an ocean of blood is rising.

/brings out the machete.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2017-01-05 08:22:11
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

/brings out the machete.

Start with Chicago
[+]
By Ramyrez 2017-01-05 08:23:35
Link | Citer | R

Its not socially accepted,

Maybe not in Belgium then, I guess? I'm sorry the people you run into daily are shitty.

I don't know what to tell you. I can tell you that, here in the States at least, we do not have an epidemic of skinniness. Yes, we have people with eating disorders and people going hungry, and both are problems that need addressed.

But not nearly on the scale of the obesity problem.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-01-05 08:23:44
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »

/brings out the machete.

Start with Chicago
Already have
By Ramyrez 2017-01-05 08:24:41
Link | Citer | R

There's different measurements for different things, you want a single scale for overall fitness? HA!

No one single measurement can gauge your overall health or fitness.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2017-01-05 08:27:11
Link | Citer | R

Then stop promoting BMI, as it's utter garbage. It's not even good for what it was designed for.
First Page 2 3 ... 20500 20501 20502 ... 22715 22716 22717