Random Thoughts.....What Are You Thinking?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Undead » Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
First Page 2 3 ... 19452 19453 19454 ... 22708 22709 22710
By Jetackuu 2016-06-03 15:39:18
Link | Citer | R

Grumpy Cat said: »
I asked her after the kids left, why, why would you do this? "That is how you are supposed to type, it is how I learned." Okay lady, sure, 40 years ago, on a typewriter you had to do that, because typewriters put characters too close sometimes or something, you don't do that with MS Word. If you teach these kids to do this, they are going to have their *** blown out when they get to college.

Also no, they still teach this and still mark it wrong if you don't do it in college. Also you still do it in word.

Unrelated:

https://www.arturogoga.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/letters1.jpg
By Jetackuu 2016-06-03 15:40:23
Link | Citer | R

I don't know what browser you use, but firefox is actively pointing out how wrong you are
Yet I'm not wrong, but continue to believe so with whatever justification you need.
Serveur: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2016-06-03 15:41:17
Link | Citer | R

Jetackuu said: »
Also no, they still teach this and still mark it wrong if you don't do it in college. Also you still do it in word.

I never double spaced after a sentence in college. If a professor had marked me for doing that, I would have punched them.

Also, Microsoft Word auto-corrects it if you try and do it, so yeah, no.
By Jetackuu 2016-06-03 15:45:38
Link | Citer | R

I never double spaced after a sentence in college. If a professor had marked me for doing that, I would have punched them.

Also, Microsoft Word auto-corrects it if you try and do it, so yeah, no.
Then you have problems.

I just tried it in Word, let me double space just fine.

*shrugs*
By Grumpy Cat 2016-06-03 15:49:36
Link | Citer | R

Waitaminute Jet, are you like 50 and learned to type on a typewriter? Is that why your jigglies are so puffled?

[+]
By Jetackuu 2016-06-03 15:50:36
Link | Citer | R

Waitaminute Jet, are you like 50 and learned to type on a typewriter? Is that why your jigglies are so puffled?

lolno, and that picture is hilarious.
By Grumpy Cat 2016-06-03 15:52:08
Link | Citer | R

Yeah, I'm bored talking about it now!

We need more people to do MS Paint or it is gunna get extended again. Or maybe we should let it die again for a while.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2016-06-03 15:55:57
Link | Citer | R

20 minutes left of work. Woo!
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Serveur: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2016-06-03 16:00:45
Link | Citer | R

There's the prescriptive way to grammar and the descriptive way to grammar, and this applies to typing styles as well. Prescriptive says that there are rules that we must follow and these are rules set up by panels of experts and linguists. This is the way that we would use grammar to introduce to people. That being said, the descriptive approach identifies that language and technology changes and that the rules need to change with it. Think of it as prescriptive = Oxford dictionary and descriptive = Merriam-Webster. Oxford is staunch and rigid; unflappable. Merriam-Webster on the other hand in 1998 adopted the word "jiggy" after Will Smith's song was popularized.

I for one side with the descriptive approach. Language changes. So does technology. Lill is right about the typewriter to word processor adaptation. That being said, technically you're both right. As to professors getting aggressive about it, you'll find that they change from professor to professor just as teachers' approaches will change. Jet, the professor who was aggressive towards you in ensuring double spacing between sentences is probably a staunch prescriptivist. That's his/her preference, no matter how much they drone on about what's right and what's wrong. I had a professor who wanted me to use footnotes even though before that point I had never used them in my entire life. Professors are weird and they want what they think is right, even though it varies from person to person.

If it were me, I'd care less about the format and focus on what is actually important: the content. If it follows MLA procedure, great. That just means paragraph spacing is double, the font is Times New Roman 12 point font, it has a header with the last name and page number and a heading with the full name, teacher's name, class and date. Beyond that, one space or two... who gives a flying ducky.
[+]
By Grumpy Cat 2016-06-03 16:02:04
Link | Citer | R

20 minutes left of work. Woo!

slither.io

How almost every last 20 minutes of work goes for me.
By Grumpy Cat 2016-06-03 16:03:40
Link | Citer | R

OF COURSE THE WORD NERD HAD TO NERD IT UP.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2016-06-03 16:06:51
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Magnuss said: »
There's the prescriptive way to grammar and the descriptive way to grammar, and this applies to typing styles as well. Prescriptive says that there are rules that we must follow and these are rules set up by panels of experts and linguists. This is the way that we would use grammar to introduce to people. That being said, the descriptive approach identifies that language and technology changes and that the rules need to change with it. Think of it as prescriptive = Oxford dictionary and descriptive = Merriam-Webster. Oxford is staunch and rigid; unflappable. Merriam-Webster on the other hand in 1998 adopted the word "jiggy" after Will Smith's song was popularized.

I for one side with the descriptive approach. Language changes. So does technology. Lill is right about the typewriter to word processor adaptation. That being said, technically you're both right. As to professors getting aggressive about it, you'll find that they change from professor to professor just as teachers' approaches will change. Jet, the professor who was aggressive towards you in ensuring double spacing between sentences is probably a staunch prescriptivist. That's his/her preference, no matter how much they drone on about what's right and what's wrong. I had a professor who wanted me to use footnotes even though before that point I had never used them in my entire life. Professors are weird and they want what they think is right, even though it varies from person to person.

If it were me, I'd care less about the format and focus on what is actually important: the content. If it follows MLA procedure, great. That just means paragraph spacing is double, the font is Times New Roman 12 point font, it has a header with the last name and page number and a heading with the full name, teacher's name, class and date. Beyond that, one space or two... who gives a flying ducky.

I concur on both approaches really.

As for the dictionaries:

I find the real purpose of a dictionary is to evolve with language, but some say that words are set in stone, but hey, who am I?

I just am aware of that it was and is still taught, in fact I wasn't even aware that single-spacing was allowed anywhere until just when I read it.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2016-06-03 16:07:09
Link | Citer | R

Get back to being on break!
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2016-06-03 16:08:42
Link | Citer | R

OF COURSE THE WORD NERD HAD TO NERD IT UP.
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2016-06-03 16:09:38
Link | Citer | R

I NEED MINDS TO TEACH!!!!!
By Jetackuu 2016-06-03 16:12:13
Link | Citer | R

I NEED MINDS TO TEACH!!!!!

On the real here:

I've considered finishing college (I'm a slacker) and also going and getting a certification so I could teach math or computer stuff. I enjoy showing others how to do things, and well my current career path is "meh."
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2016-06-03 16:14:52
Link | Citer | R

Real talk: we need maths teachers! That being said, kids can... be a handful. Have you done any internships?
[+]
By Jetackuu 2016-06-03 16:16:32
Link | Citer | R

Real talk: we need maths teachers! That being said, kids can... be a handful. Have you done any internships?

As like teaching? No.

I was thinking teenagers and up.

My kid is a handful on her own, a whole room of them would be interesting. I may just do something like get licensed and do math tutoring or something though.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-06-03 16:44:58
Link | Citer | R

Oh you Canadian.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Serveur: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2016-06-03 16:54:24
Link | Citer | R

Stray observation, I've noticed when quoting people in P&R that double space after a period is much more common amongst the vocal conservative posters.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-06-03 16:54:38
Link | Citer | R

You are right, that's what you are going to look like after I'm done with you.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Calatilla
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2016-06-03 16:58:29
Link | Citer | R

I concur on both approaches really.

As for the dictionaries:

I find the real purpose of a dictionary is to evolve with language, but some say that words are set in stone, but hey, who am I?

I just am aware of that it was and is still taught, in fact I wasn't even aware that single-spacing was allowed anywhere until just when I read it.

I dread the day Bae gets recognized as an actual word.
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2016-06-03 17:00:36
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Calatilla said: »
I dread the day Bae gets recognized as an actual word.
Too late.
 Asura.Calatilla
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2016-06-03 17:03:37
Link | Citer | R

That isn't the definition I'm referring to lol

Kids over here in the Uk are using it to refer to their girl/boyfriend, as some sort of short for babe, Before Anyone Else. It's stupid because it doesn't mean anything close to that, but it's common among kids.

This
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2016-06-03 17:09:39
Link | Citer | R

Oh, I know. I'm just a smartass. My students used to use it all the time until I started using it while teaching them Romeo and Juliet. They stopped using it shortly thereafter.

The key to getting teenagers to stop doing something is to do that very same thing. Adults are uncool, ergo that thing is no longer cool. That's how I stopped bae, yolo and psych (the last one was personal because they were using it all wrong and were spelling it as "sike".
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-06-03 17:35:14
Link | Citer | R

Gardening in rooms/inside

PVP stuff

Nightmare fuel

Flying Fenrir

Hair

Emote

Some gear

Mounts

Minions

/mogdance →Perform the moogle dance.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2016-06-03 17:38:55
Link | Citer | R

It's not so much as it will be recognized as a word but more so that it will be acknowledged that it is used and how.

Which is really a dictionary's entire purpose, no?
First Page 2 3 ... 19452 19453 19454 ... 22708 22709 22710