Random Thoughts.....What Are You Thinking?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Undead » Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
First Page 2 3 ... 18634 18635 18636 ... 22715 22716 22717
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Serveur: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-02-01 09:22:31
Link | Citer | R

They keep delivering packages to my place and I get excited thinking it's my FFE copy...but they're all stuff for my brother .-.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-02-01 09:22:41
Link | Citer | R

Candlejack said: »
[melee rdm] 7 different kinds of worthless unless you know what you're doing with it.

Fixed.
By Ramyrez 2016-02-01 09:24:33
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Candlejack said: »
Melee-only RDM in FFXI is like a pure Eyelander DemoKnight:
7 different kinds of worthless unless you know what you're doing with it
Again, that doesn't matter at all. Red mage is a class whose concept is to be a mage that can melee with swords. It's based on the fact that it's a swordsman, a nuker and a support caster at the same time.
Whether it's worth it in FFXI meta or not is not relevant to what I initially said.

You're getting awfully fired up over something that was just me trying to stir the pot a little with the melee-insistent mages that may be lurking. >.<

Fine, I'll grant you your "red mages historically speaking should melee even if it's poorly implemented in XI."

Yeesh. Seha so srs bizness today.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-02-01 09:30:28
Link | Citer | R

I already answered.
By Ackeron 2016-02-01 09:31:40
Link | Citer | R

RDMs with attacking with swords is as good as BLMs attacking with bows.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-02-01 09:33:40
Link | Citer | R

Black mage uses bows as a mean to attack fodder without wasting mp; but the stats are not tailored around balance(which is why they are weak when attacking with a staff or rod).

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
By Ackeron 2016-02-01 09:36:12
Link | Citer | R

Wait I thought we weren't talking FFXI? Cause if we are then lets just replace bows with scythes.

Anyhoot going to sleep.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-02-01 09:37:32
Link | Citer | R

I wasn't. Not only that at least, XI obviously is part of the history of the classes.
By Ramyrez 2016-02-01 09:39:30
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
Nah, RDM is a serious melee DD nowdays after serious preparation,

In fodder/sub-level content, yes, pretty much anything can be geared to a quality DD level, and if people find fulfillment playing as such, cool on them.

Hell, even I finally picked up blue mage, having to admit it is fun despite not being thematically in-line at all with how I've always envisioned the game (though admittedly, with a bit of mental acrobatics, it's more believable retconned/assimilated into my character than the storylines a lot of mainstream popular television shows manage.) And my own mule melees on red mage on wee content because it's helpful at times.

Sometimes you just want to have fun.

But putting a job with B-grade skills and questionable melee traits into a melee situation against top-tier content simply isn't going to get you anywhere without massive accommodations that make it practically -- if not entirely literally -- not worth your time.
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2016-02-01 09:41:17
Link | Citer | R

RDM, as my friend used to put it, is a "Swordmage".

There, problem solved.

But wait, what does that make BLU?
By Ramyrez 2016-02-01 09:43:54
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Zeig said: »

There, problem solved.

BLU is a swordmage.

RDM is a mage whose presence on swords intended for others has confused entirely too many people and made them try to jam the job into roles it's simply not fit to fill.

Again, not to say it can't be made to work with a lot of tweeking and accommodation, but unless you're really good friends with the red mage in question it's hardly ever worth your time.
 Bismarck.Misao
Serveur: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2016-02-01 09:44:26
Link | Citer | R

back in the day, a friend of mine mained RDM, but she was stubborn and never went with the meta.
asides from the casual Refresh, she would barely do any supporting. all her gear and stats where directed for combat DD, and frankly she did very decent, and at times, managed to evens steal hate from tanks.
while not high numbers as an endgame-geared DD she was way up the average damage.
usually see her as /war or /drk lol
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-02-01 09:49:42
Link | Citer | R

Blue mage is much harder to categorize because throughout its history it's been all over the place. From weapons selection, to proficiencies, although on average spells are its strongest suit. But it's so different everytime it appears that you can't really be sure until you try it.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2016-02-01 09:51:28
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Misao said: »
back in the day, a friend of mine mained RDM, but she was stubborn and never went with the meta.
asides from the casual Refresh, she would barely do any supporting. all her gear and stats where directed for combat DD, and frankly she did very decent, and at times, managed to evens steal hate from tanks.
while not high numbers as an endgame-geared DD she was way up the average damage.
usually see her as /war or /drk lol
That's beautiful. Always nice to see people enjoy playing the game the way they like (in a smart way ofc), and not be bound by societal restrictions. Yes, the parallel was intended.

Ramyrez said: »

There, problem solved.

BLU is a swordmage.

RDM is a mage whose presence on swords intended for others has confused entirely too many people and made them try to jam the job into roles it's simply not fit to fill.

Again, not to say it can't be made to work with a lot of tweeking and accommodation, but unless you're really good friends with the red mage in question it's hardly ever worth your time.
I just intended to lighten the mood a little bit, not go into any kind of deep analysis concerning the accuracy of my friend's description.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-02-01 09:52:48
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Blue mage is much harder to categorize because throughout its history it's been all over the place. From weapons selection, to proficiencies, although on average spells are its strongest suit. But it's so different everytime it appears that you can't really be sure until you try it.

In XI at least it's the bee's knees right now, that's for sure. Just stupid powerful.

Of course, now that I've leveled it and am mostly finished collecting spells (Delve/Vagary and a few SoA elementals to go), it will get nerfed in the next month.
By Ramyrez 2016-02-01 09:53:41
Link | Citer | R

I just intended to lighten the mood a little bit, not go into any kind of deep analysis concerning the accuracy of my friend's description.

[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-02-01 09:56:05
Link | Citer | R

Reiterating points irrelavant to my stance does not strengthen your position, it only annoys me.
 Bismarck.Misao
Serveur: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2016-02-01 09:56:22
Link | Citer | R

she is a pretty cool person, but ask her to rdm/whm or /blm and she'd tell you to *** off. and still show up as melee rdm or drk lol

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
Serveur: Sylph
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2016-02-01 09:58:11
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
Lets save the categorizing for lolFFXIV. Since that clearly defines everything with three little colored picture icons and identical setups.

XI is great because you can't define everything.

One year DWing an axe and sword was the best for WAR, the next it was using a GA, the next it was zerging with a relic GS, the now it is about fencer builds with either cloudsplitter or using the trust ole sword.
Variety is the spice of life.

Calling things swordsman, swordsmage, swordsword. Is just silly and nerdy.

Look at white mage, Look at me!
Does this look like a taru who farms salvage on a "Practical" job.You literally cannot categorize FFXI jobs at all.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-02-01 09:59:02
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Misao said: »
she is a pretty cool person, but ask her to rdm/whm or /blm and she'd tell you to *** off. and still show up as melee rdm or drk lol

/partycmd kick exists for a reason!

My old social LS was full of people I liked a lot as people, but didn't actually *play* with unless they needed help with an AF question or something.

People who did things like...melee smn/drg. And then couldn't understand why people didn't want to play with them.

Morbo says: "XI does not work that way! Good night!"
By Ramyrez 2016-02-01 09:59:52
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Shadowlina said: »
Does this look like a taru who farms salvage on a "Practical" job.

It's probably important to point out I'm a hypocrite of the highest caliber, as I have well-geared DD jobs out the wazoo and still occasionally do things like Salvage and Nyzul on paladin and rune fencer because I feel like they might be more fun that day.

I've always been of the mindset: "solo on whatever you want, it's your time, have a blast. But don't bring that ***to group content and waste our time."
[+]
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2016-02-01 10:01:34
Link | Citer | R

Does this look like a taru who farms salvage on a "Practical" job.

It's probably important to point out I'm a hypocrite of the highest caliber, as I have well-geared DD jobs out the wazoo and still occasionally do things like Salvage and Nyzul on paladin and rune fencer because I feel like they might be more fun that day.

I've always been of the mindset: "solo on whatever you want, it's your time, have a blast. But don't bring that ***to group content and waste our time."
I'm of a very similar mindset myself, if you enjoy that job, play it how you damm well please.
But don't be salty when we ask you to change sub and be "Useful"
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-02-01 10:02:43
Link | Citer | R

Or you could be like me, be salty as *** to the point where your linkshell considers it part of your charm.

If we're doing an event and I'm not griping about the shortcomings of whatever job I'm on, people start asking me what's wrong.

Literally had a conversation the other day where I said I was enjoying XI more than I have in a long time (which is true), and that I've even been having fun getting my mage jobs up to snuff and playing them.

I got asked who I was and what I did with Rammie. ._.;
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2016-02-01 10:03:43
Link | Citer | R

Or you could be like me, be salty as *** to the point where your linkshell considers it part of your charm.

If we're doing an event and I'm not griping about the shortcomings of whatever job I'm on, people start asking me what's wrong.
It's only a part of my charm if i don't like you to begin with. Which tends to be most people.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-02-01 10:04:27
Link | Citer | R

It's only a part of my charm if i don't like you to begin with. Which tends to be most people

I hate everyone.

They all know this.
First Page 2 3 ... 18634 18635 18636 ... 22715 22716 22717