Random Thoughts.....What Are You Thinking?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Undead » Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
First Page 2 3 ... 16 17 18 ... 22715 22716 22717

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
Serveur: Gilgamesh
Game: FFXI
user: Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-02-10 17:14:51
Link | Citer | R

I don't even need a High School diploma to know I'm more intelligent than a majority of the *** idiots on this site.

..that's your cue (the masses) to rate down
[+]
 Bismarck.Angeleus
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Munky
By Bismarck.Angeleus 2011-02-10 17:23:58
Link | Citer | R

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
I don't even need a High School diploma to know I'm more intelligent than a majority of the *** idiots on this site.

[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
Serveur: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-10 17:26:46
Link | Citer | R

Getting a diploma or GED is so easy I don't think I can really think anyone that doesn't have one is either mentally HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE or is lazy as *** or is still a kid. Though really if you were motivated you could just graudate early or get your GED and not deal with HS and such
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-02-10 17:36:13
Link | Citer | R

Perhaps my point was unclear Dasva.

My point was people were asking to provide a degree, or a transcript etc to prove to the forums community that they are some how intelligently superior, I was saying anything over a diploma would be overkill on the evidence required to prove to a majority of this community. Angeleus is pretty much a perfect example of this, I thank them for stepping up first to help prove my point.

Without contradicting myself too much.. I laugh at the thought that people here think a college degree (outside post-grad accomplishments) or transcripts with excellent marks would be considered proof of intelligence.
[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Serveur: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-02-10 17:36:28
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Getting a diploma or GED is so easy I don't think I can really think anyone that doesn't have one is either mentally HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE or is lazy as *** or is still a kid. Though really if you were motivated you could just graudate early or get your GED and not deal with HS and such
I think not having your diploma is just an example of bad decision making/bad school sytem in the US today.

But you know what is just as bad: blanketed assumptions.

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-10 17:42:02
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
I think not having your diploma is just an example of bad decision making/bad school sytem in the US today.

Meh I've seen people who probably actually medically HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE pushed thru and got there diplomas. Bad decision or bad breaks in life sure they happen. But you go out and make up for it after. I know plenty of people that for one reason or another didn't graduate but got there GED if only so they could take the college course they were going for.

Also I don't consider any schooling really a sign of intelligence. A sign of your ability to memorize some ***that was hand fed to you sure.
 Bahamut.Lolserj
user: Andras
By Bahamut.Lolserj 2011-02-10 17:43:56
Link | Citer | R

wow i've gone to class and came back and ate some dinner and elana still hasn't replied to any of this
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-02-10 17:45:36
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Dasva said:

Also I don't consider any schooling really a sign of intelligence. A sign of your ability to memorize some ***that was hand fed to you sure.

^This. (outside postgraduate masters/doctorates)
 Cerberus.Irishlass
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Irishlass
By Cerberus.Irishlass 2011-02-10 17:47:23
Link | Citer | R

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
I don't even need a High School diploma to know I'm more intelligent than a majority of the *** idiots on this site. ..that's your cue (the masses) to rate down

Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-02-10 17:47:46
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:

Meh I've seen people who probably actually medically HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE pushed thru and got there diplomas. Bad decision or bad breaks in life sure they happen. But you go out and make up for it after. I know plenty of people that for one reason or another didn't graduate but got there GED if only so they could take the college course they were going for.

Which is the exact reason Americans are stereotyped as having short attention spans and a lacking ability to retain information.
I wasn't saying that people who got their diplomas are genius's or that people that don't are HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.
But if you don't at least get your diploma or the equivalent you are lacking somewhere obviously.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-10 17:49:03
Link | Citer | R

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
^This. (outside postgraduate masters/doctorates)
I wouldn't really make an exception for most of that. Doctorate depends on what field but yeah what is required for that usually is abit more. But if you plug away at anything long enough you will get it done.

Now if you are actually doing some nifty new work and getting published and such perhaps.

I beleive intelligence is more of a state of being. The ability to learn and synthesis new material and see how it connects with other things or even make up new ***. Not how much knowledge you can regurgitate. Otherwise my computer would be the more intelligent than anyone in the world.

Understanding >> facts
 Leviathan.Niniann
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-02-10 17:50:07
Link | Citer | R

SEGA HAD SOME REALLY WEIRD JP COMMERCIALS
[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-02-10 17:50:40
Link | Citer | R

But you can't just factor out the ability to retain information.
That's an important factor in well...being intelligent at all just due to the fact that if you don't retain the info..well you don't really know it anymore at that point do ya?
But I agree.
The ability to comprehend the information retained is a must.
You need balance when it comes to those things.
Or you get pegged as a book-learned/street-smart, emotionally intelligent...and a lot of other terms that are exemplifying the quality you succeed in while overshadowing the rest.
 Fenrir.Stiklelf
Serveur: Fenrir
user: stikle
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2011-02-10 17:50:44
Link | Citer | R

I want to go downstairs and get some food, I want to be sleeping right now.

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-02-10 17:52:57
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
But you can't just factor out the ability to retain information.
That's an important factor in well...being intelligent at all just due to the fact that if you don't retain the info..well you don't really know it anymore at that point do ya?
wat? : p
damn joo!
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-10 17:54:11
Link | Citer | R

Depends on what you mean by retain. If you have the understanding of it and retain that the actual info often is irrelvant as you can just make it up as you go.

Did I memorize a bajillion formulas thru my education process? No. But I certainly could solve all the problems and come up with my own better ones
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-02-10 17:58:55
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Depends on what you mean by retain. If you have the understanding of it and retain that the actual info often is irrelvant as you can just make it up as you go.

Did I memorize a bajillion formulas thru my education process? No. But I certainly could solve all the problems and come up with my own better ones
With some research maybe, yes.

The ability to retain information such as formulas is just one piece of the puzzle.
Let's say your brain is a harddrive, over time the information on this hard drive decays and non-essential information is deleted.
Being able to retain and effectively use what you know is pretty essential for intellectual development rather than stagnation.
You can't depend on your ability to "go with it" as you were expressing in the bold all the time.
It's best to use all the tools in your toolbox if you can.
TL;DR
Comprehension and memory retention are completely hand in hand.
You can try depending on one part more than the other, but you are just crippling yourself if you do.
Both help each other lol.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-02-10 18:00:19
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Dasva said:

I wouldn't really make an exception for most of that. Doctorate depends on what field but yeah what is required for that usually is abit more. But if you plug away at anything long enough you will get it done.

How many people do you know with a Masters or Doctorate that you would consider unintelligent?

I agree with you completely when speaking on a High School diploma, Associates degree and even a Bachelors degree but disagree when it comes to someone who has proven themselves to earn a Masters and even more so a Doctorate, I feel as though you are selling those accomplishments a bit short.

You literally said:
Quote:
Doctorate depends on what field but yeah what is required for that usually is abit more.
If I had earned a Doctorate myself I would be feeling pretty insulted by that statement, jus sayin.

Keep in mind I am not saying it's proof that someone with such is more intelligent than someone without or that it should be used as a scale to determine levels of intelligence, what I am simply saying is in my opinion it is credentials worthy enough to respect their intelligence.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-02-10 18:03:28
Link | Citer | R

I'd honestly say it is situational.
Having a Masters in English won't really say much for ya when you are discussing Global Warming or something that's not english necessarily.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-10 18:04:19
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Depends on what you mean by retain. If you have the understanding of it and retain that the actual info often is irrelvant as you can just make it up as you go. Did I memorize a bajillion formulas thru my education process? No. But I certainly could solve all the problems and come up with my own better ones
What is this research you speak of?

And maybe we are misunderstanding each other. I'm not saying I don't retain anything. Just that I'm often not retaining what was put out so much as my understanding of it. It only really cripples me when it's less about understanding and more about straight memorization. Like setpoints or early on in a language. Or birthdays (yeah turns out remembering its around the end of june isn't good enough :( )
[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-02-10 18:10:23
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Depends on what you mean by retain. If you have the understanding of it and retain that the actual info often is irrelvant as you can just make it up as you go. Did I memorize a bajillion formulas thru my education process? No. But I certainly could solve all the problems and come up with my own better ones
What is this research you speak of?

And maybe we are misunderstanding each other. I'm not saying I don't retain anything. Just that I'm often not retaining what was put out so much as my understanding of it. It only really cripples me when it's less about understanding and more about straight memorization. Like setpoints or early on in a language. Or birthdays (yeah turns out remembering its around the end of june isn't good enough :( )
I think we were just misunderstanding.
I was meaning more like retaining stuff like scientific and historical and sociopolitical...etc knowledge.
 Cerberus.Starr
user: Starr
By Cerberus.Starr 2011-02-10 18:22:52
Link | Citer | R

tl;dr the rage that's going on for me please
 Odin.Liela
Serveur: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2011-02-10 18:26:22
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
I'd honestly say it is situational.
Having a Masters in English won't really say much for ya when you are discussing Global Warming or something that's not english necessarily.

True story: I am an English major and I went to the University Career Fair on Wednesday because I'm graduating in May. This is one of the conversations I had:

Me: What would an English major do within your company?

Booth lady: Oh, we don't discriminate on majors at all! We take all majors! English? You could stock shelves!

And at the Navy booth (all branches of the military were also there recruiting) this was the conversation:

Navy guy: Have you had a year of calculus-based physics?

Me: No, only one semester of calculus and one semester of physics.

Navy guy: I'd take you on as fleet!

I swear to you, English majors are useless. /wrist lol
 Cerberus.Starr
user: Starr
By Cerberus.Starr 2011-02-10 18:28:03
Link | Citer | R

Could be worse, you could have studied Media or Philosophy
 Odin.Liela
Serveur: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2011-02-10 18:31:07
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Starr said:
Could be worse, you could have studied Media or Philosophy

Lol! True enough. Hopefully someone lets me be a librarian somewhere, that would rock my socks.
 Fairy.Spence
Serveur: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2011-02-10 18:34:54
Link | Citer | R

English majors may be useless, but Liela's are awesome!
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 16 17 18 ... 22715 22716 22717