Random Thoughts.....What Are You Thinking?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Undead » Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
First Page 2 3 ... 16508 16509 16510 ... 22716 22717 22718
 Bismarck.Patrik
Serveur: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2015-02-12 08:46:53
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Ackeronll said: »
Anyone here do the Zodiac quest? Need to know if I can just get all the mats now or do I have to progress to that part of the quest first?
Everything except for the sacred water (soldiery item) and the dungeon items.

So the company seal item, the 100k gil items, and the crafted items you can get any time.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-02-12 08:50:13
Link | Citer | R

leo said: »
Artemicion said: »
Someone please deliver me from this terrible, terrible temptation...

If you have spare money to burn, sure... Why not ? Make Intel richer and make the economy wheels spin.

You happen to know what CPUs are made of, right ?

Sand. (Si) And by what I know sand is one of the most common things on the world...

well there's also the gold, and the really expensive processes it goes through to turn the silicon into the wafers, but yeah...
By Artemicion 2015-02-12 08:51:14
Link | Citer | R

Gonna take a gamble and go for the RGB M65 mouse in white. I'm a sucker for shiny things with bright colors, and I think the white plastic covering the aluminum chassis looks pretty cool when contrasted to the common black keyboard.

Plus it'll look awesome to match up with my next build which is going to be color themed around this sexy lady~

Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Serveur: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-02-12 08:51:25
Link | Citer | R

Jetackuu said: »
turn the silicon into the wafers
Yum

where do I find this magical item
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-02-12 08:51:54
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Studying today is impossible.
Valefor.Sapphire said: »
working today is impossible
why not both?
You silly, Seha's work is study. Then basically it's the same thing.
I was referencing the fact that I not only didn't get any work orders to do today, but I also don't have to go to class tonight for lab, although I do still have to do my assignment, which I don't want to do.
By Darkalenia 2015-02-12 08:54:51
Link | Citer | R

Not enough Mega Man has been posted here today.

Let's fix that, shall we?
[+]
By Artemicion 2015-02-12 08:55:02
Link | Citer | R

Interesting, looks like the K70 RGB is only in red and brown. No clickiness allowed :(
By Jetackuu 2015-02-12 09:00:21
Link | Citer | R

[+]
 leo
By leo 2015-02-12 09:06:15
Link | Citer | R

well there's also the gold, and the really expensive processes it goes through to turn the silicon into the wafers, but yeah...

Aha got you where I want. The point is, the price of making silicon wafers of computer chips in large volumes is not really "that much" compared to the profit. Why is that ?

Copyright and intellectual property. That's what make these chips so expensive.

Only Intel know how to make them. As Art commented what AMD makes doesn't even get close to the Intel ones. We got to my point, finally.

Monopoly.
MSPaint Winner
Serveur: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Leonkasai
By Leon Kasai 2015-02-12 09:07:25
Link | Citer | R

[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-02-12 09:09:31
Link | Citer | R

Pretty much. 2/3 of every DBZ episode is a sequence of closeups of people expressing banal thoughts on the situation.

"I'm gonna beat you"
"You're never gonna win"
"They're so powerful"
"Such strong, very aura"
[+]
 leo
By leo 2015-02-12 09:14:08
Link | Citer | R

Pretty much. 2/3 of every DBZ episode is a sequence of closeups of people expressing banal thoughts on the situation.

"I'm gonna beat you"
"You're never gonna win"
"They're so powerful"
"Such strong, very aura"

Simply because they can reuse them to exhaustion without the crowds who watch the show noticing. Very economical (lazy actually).
By Jetackuu 2015-02-12 09:28:26
Link | Citer | R

Aha got you where I want. The point is, the price of making silicon wafers of computer chips in large volumes is not really "that much" compared to the profit. Why is that ?

Copyright and intellectual property. That's what make these chips so expensive.

Only Intel know how to make them. As Art commented what AMD makes doesn't even get close to the Intel ones. We got to my point, finally.

Monopoly.

If AMD wants to make better chips then let them develop a better chip.

I'm not saying that their superiority isn't a driving factor, but the price of the raw materials isn't just in the silicon, and it's intellectually dishonest to write it off as such.

There's the silicon, the gold, the chemicals and machinery used to refine them, test them, and even then there's still apparently a low yield rate on the higher quality chips, not to mention R&D costs.

Both companies have that issue though, but for some time now Intel has been kicking AMD's ***, and it's not like they're the only chip makers in the world either, there is no monopoly, so you'll have to forgive me for not hoping on the hate Intel train.
By Jetackuu 2015-02-12 09:29:58
Link | Citer | R

"I'm gonna beat you"
"You're never gonna win"
"They're so powerful"
"Such strong, very aura"

Simply because they can reuse them to exhaustion without the crowds who watch the show noticing. Very economical (lazy actually).
Yet it made bank.
By Artemicion 2015-02-12 09:30:44
Link | Citer | R

Would be weird if Via industries came back as a third contender to the chip market.
 leo
By leo 2015-02-12 09:35:52
Link | Citer | R

Would be weird if Via industries came back as a third contender to the chip market.

At this point in time, Intel is so far ahead on the arms race for silicon based computer chips, the only way to screw this is completely new technology. (like for example computing elements which use photons instead of electrons as active means of storing and transmission of information)

Funny enough the *original* product Intel sold was silicon RAM chips. And at the time the de-facto standard was magnetic core memory.

Intel came in and rocked the market with their revolutionary products (early 70s).

Seems that all of the people who ended making Intel and AMD came from Fairchild semiconductor.

Another funny one is Texas Instruments which originally was a maker of geological analysis and oil prospection instruments (hence their name).
By Artemicion 2015-02-12 09:38:18
Link | Citer | R

Well, if things go well, quantum processors could be a thing, which would throw out the whole megahertz and squeezing cores on a die war.
By Jetackuu 2015-02-12 09:38:21
Link | Citer | R

Pretty sure via still makes chips, there's over a dozen cpu manufacturers, just not all produce them for x86/x64 computers.
By Jetackuu 2015-02-12 09:39:51
Link | Citer | R

Well, if things go well, quantum processors could be a thing, which would throw out the whole megahertz and squeezing cores on a die war.
not to mention would reduce heat by a ridiculous amount.
By Jetackuu 2015-02-12 09:40:49
Link | Citer | R

Verda said: »

"I'm gonna beat you"
"You're never gonna win"
"They're so powerful"
"Such strong, very aura"

Yet it made bank.
That's just b/c Goku is such an infectious character. I will sit through 10 hours of grunting and posing to see Goku smile like a happy idiot just once.

[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-02-12 09:42:15
Link | Citer | R

Honestly I think the original DB story was much better, it just didn't have the super battles of Z. But it was a completely different mood and much more interesting under that point of view.
The Tenkaichi tournaments are easily some of the best anime moments ever.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-02-12 09:44:20
Link | Citer | R

Honestly I think the original DB story was much better, it just didn't have the super battles of Z. But it was a completely different mood and much more interesting under that point of view.
The Tenkaichi tournaments are easily some of the best anime moments ever.
I wouldn't say "much more interesting" but it was different and I enjoyed them both for different reasons, hell I probably even enjoyed DB more.

But Jackie Chun, ha.
[+]
 leo
By leo 2015-02-12 09:45:50
Link | Citer | R

Pretty sure via still makes chips, there's over a dozen cpu manufacturers, just not all produce them for x86/x64 computers.

Let's see the ones I know of:

ARM, you know what ARM meant originally ? I believe it was "Acorn RISC Machine". (This one is so common now it might rival x86 someday on "grown ups computers" instead of being cell phone and toy devices CPUs)

MIPS (Rxxx series) (until the PS3 all PlayStation things had MIPS based chips as CPUs. Meaning the PS1, the PS2 and the PSP are MIPS based)
I think MIPS cores are currently common on cheap Chinese gaming devices (Dingoo) and some Broadcom SoC chips used on routers are MIPS based as well.

Super Hitachi (SH-xx)
(Currently Hitachi's CPU business is under control of a company called Renesas which is a joint venture of Hitachi and Mitsubishi)
Super Hitachi big in Japan but that's it. Very popular with Japanese robotics enthusiast(robotics otaku?) people.

IBM Power PC
Apparently this is what everyone and their DOG used on the last videogame generation as CPU for their stuff. Currently the only system using it as CPU is the Wii U.
By Jetackuu 2015-02-12 09:50:45
Link | Citer | R

I know 3/4 off the top of my head, but to be fair: as you said, the last one it's big in Japan.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-02-12 09:51:24
Link | Citer | R

it's big in Japan
Sounds like an oxymoron ifyouknowwhatimean.
[+]
By Artemicion 2015-02-12 09:51:41
Link | Citer | R

Admittedly the whole Red Ribbon Army saga had a lot more charm and entertainment value than these arbitrary interstellar contenders of decreasing relevance to the core story, even though they constantly escalate scales of power to the point where more than planets are at sake.

Guess that's Spectacle Creep for you.
By Jetackuu 2015-02-12 09:52:23
Link | Citer | R

it's big in Japan
Sounds like an oxymoron ifyouknowwhatimean.

Bazinga!
 leo
By leo 2015-02-12 09:59:40
Link | Citer | R

I know 3/4 off the top of my head, but to be fair: as you said, the last one it's big in Japan.

Chips of the SH series were CPU on the following gaming consoles:

SH-2
Sega 32X (Mega Drive/SEGA Genesis add on expansion)
Sega Saturn (Saturn also used a SH-1 as security controller for the CD drive)

SH-4
Dreamcast and it's derivatives:
SEGA Naomi and Naomi 2
SEGA Hikaru (arcade board)
SAMMY Atomswave (it's a Dreamcast. SAMMY owns SEGA currently)
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-02-12 10:01:05
Link | Citer | R

Lmao just found an old drawing notebook of mine I used when I was trying to learn how to draw...the pictures inside, ohmagod. There's this cat who looks like a fat sausage with paws and a weird face..random attempts at manga-like drawings and an entire page with "I SUCK AT THIS" written in giant characters lol.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 16508 16509 16510 ... 22716 22717 22718