Random Thoughts.....What Are You Thinking?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Undead » Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
First Page 2 3 ... 15778 15779 15780 ... 22717 22718 22719
 Ragnarok.Raenil
Serveur: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2014-11-13 16:58:27
Link | Citer | R

Admittedly, swords didn't dominate the medieval battle field like movies show them to. Spears were cheaper to buy (soldiers were outfitted with whatever they could afford, armies weren't equipped at the expense of the ruler they served) and maintain. They gave you a lot more reach then nearly any sword of the time. Pike blocks were stupidly efficient killing machines.

Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-11-13 16:59:46
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Raenil said: »
Medieval swords were actually quite sharp. There wouldn't have been a need to develop chain/plate armor if they weren't. Padded leather jerkins would've sufficed as armor given chain and plate are still quite susceptible to stabbings.
Chain/plate armor were to combat arrows more than swords.

Swords were still sharp, but, like volk said, not razor sharp. Unless you cared for your sword, it would take several strikes to whack off an arm or leg, even without armor to protect it.

Axes were the same way. It almost never took one swing to decapitate a person.
 Ragnarok.Raenil
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2014-11-13 17:01:19
Link | Citer | R

Of course they didn't, they were rarely even 3 lbs. Razor sharp or not, that isn't nearly enough mass to lop body parts off.

EDIT: Hell, even the massive Zweihanders only tended to weigh 7 lbs.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-11-13 17:04:32
Link | Citer | R

Of course they didn't, they were rarely even 3 lbs. Razor sharp or not, that isn't nearly enough mass to lop body parts off.

Considering the quality of metal and the quality of smithing uses to make these weapons, you have a point there.

Now, Japanese katanas, those suckers don't need much to take off somebody's arm/head.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-11-13 17:07:14
Link | Citer | R

also let's not ignore that

=

not

Additionally, PLD swords are decidedly slashing weapons rather than thrusting ones. Only attack that can be considered a thrust is Spirits Within unless we count Circle of Scorn which is aiming at the ground rather than the enemy

edit: riot blade too I guess, nvm. in any case there's no reason for a sword to be this fat and disgusting looking. it doesnt need to be an airplane wing
By volkom 2014-11-13 17:08:58
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

Considering the quality of metal and the quality of smithing uses to make these weapons, you have a point there.

Now, Japanese katanas, those suckers don't need much to take off somebody's arm/head.

i'd say a different level of craftsmanship and maintenance on the weapon but still comes down to hacking people down.
 Ragnarok.Raenil
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2014-11-13 17:11:13
Link | Citer | R

Yeah, but if the blade take any major damage when going through the bone, you'd have ruined the sword entirely.

Katana's are obscenely good cutting swords, but they're a *** to maintain and the way they're formed makes re-grinding the edge risky as ***. Grind too deep and you replace the super hardened metal edge with super soft core metal that doesn't hold an edge at all.
[+]
By volkom 2014-11-13 17:12:05
Link | Citer | R

FF9?

FF4?

Shiva.Spathaian
Serveur: Shiva
user: Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2014-11-13 17:12:42
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

I wouldn't say that. The strength of katanas are widely exaggerated and often no where near as amazing at cutting as people make them out to be, at least not when compared to other blade designs.
[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2014-11-13 17:14:40
Link | Citer | R

I find it hard to believe that a Zweihander would only weigh 7 pounds.
VIP
By Kalila 2014-11-13 17:16:19
Link | Citer | R

Also, Assassin's Creed Unity

[+]
By volkom 2014-11-13 17:16:42
Link | Citer | R

Kalila said: »

its really bendy/flexible ~ it wobbles
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-11-13 17:19:37
Link | Citer | R

Sometimes I wonder if they put bugs into games on purpose, just to *** with people.
[+]
 Shiva.Spathaian
user: Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2014-11-13 17:19:53
Link | Citer | R

It's actually true. The blades are relatively thin and light weight and while it is a two-handed blade they evolved from long swords and are meant to be wieldable with 1 as well. The heaviest a Zweihander should be is maybe 10lbs and that's really pushing it and probably more ceremonial than practical.

Edit: Rae makes me want to find my old books and reclaim lost knowledge.

I've gotta stop lazing around and do something.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Raenil
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2014-11-13 17:20:22
Link | Citer | R

Crazy, right?

They tended to have a fuller, which is a section along the middle of the blade that is ground down to reduce weight (a lot of people mistaken refer to them as 'blood grooves') without sacrificing the durability of the blade.

They also tapered the blades to achieve this as well, the blade being decently thick near the hilt and being hammered thinner and thinner as it moves to the point. And also flattening towards the edge. Refereed to as Distal and Profile Tapering respectively.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Raenil
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2014-11-13 17:23:11
Link | Citer | R

Also, you'd be surprised how heavy 7 lbs feels to swing around though. Especially with that length, them physics.

I have a 13 lbs wall hanger and it's extremely difficult to stop the blade mid swing and change direction in a timely manner. If I were to get into a duel with it, I'd get my *** killed unless they just stood still.
VIP
By Kalila 2014-11-13 17:24:46
Link | Citer | R

I guess that makes sense, they just seem to look really heavy :x
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-11-13 17:29:31
Link | Citer | R

Mine obsidian blade shall split atwain the threads of thy future... whilst its crimson fuller shalt channel the lifeblood of thy past.

Now wail as thy soul is bestrewn across the plains of Valhalla!
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2014-11-13 17:30:45
Link | Citer | R

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-11-13 17:32:03
Link | Citer | R

What are we talking about here lol.

Anyways, I'm really considering downloading and starting FF14, this winter has been one big letdown in terms of games.
Forum Moderator
Serveur: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2014-11-13 17:33:39
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
I've watched a few of this guy's vids, he explains flaws in video game weaponry and on occasion will redesign them for real-world use.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2014-11-13 17:35:13
Link | Citer | R

Pretty sure a lot of the weight in a big sword is in the handle-thingy area anyway so you can swing it pretty fast. You don't fight like in movies anyway lol (he has a video showing how you'd swing it)
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2014-11-13 17:43:07
Link | Citer | R

[+]
 Ragnarok.Raenil
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2014-11-13 17:47:14
Link | Citer | R

I'm a fan of Matt Easton personally, but Skallagrim is pretty cool.
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2014-11-13 17:59:23
Link | Citer | R

Made some ghetto pepperjack quesadillas tonight.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
Forum Moderator
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2014-11-13 18:43:32
Link | Citer | R

eslim said: »
character has to be created for longer than 45 days to trade the goblin the special key for campaign chest >_>

wrrrretrrhhhhhyyyyy u give me free content id for??? ?
It won't be SE's *** that'll be sore in the morning. They worked you over real good, huh?
 Sylph.Chrisstreb
Serveur: Sylph
By Sylph.Chrisstreb 2014-11-13 19:03:12
Link | Citer | R

just think, the next campaign then, you can stockpile keys!
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2014-11-13 19:23:28
Link | Citer | R

So I am video card novice. I have a friend who wants to sell me a second video card of the one I have now. I understand I can do something called "SLI" to hook them together.

My friend is also a little rusty on the 2 cards thing and what he told me makes me feel like it is kinda pointless.

What I asked him: When I set this up with 2 monitors should I plug 1 monitor into each card, or do they act as 1 so it doesn't matter?

What he said: You put the primary monitor in the primary card, because when you switch to SLI mode, you will lose the second monitor and everything goes to just the primary.

Uhm... please tell me that is not accurate?

I like to play windowless bordered on my left screen, with my browsers/chat/etc in my right screen. If this is the setup I rock when gaming am I really not going to get any benefit from having the second card and/or will I not be able to use the second monitor?
Serveur: Ultros
user: Serj
By Ciri Zireael 2014-11-13 19:39:05
Link | Citer | R

[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 15778 15779 15780 ... 22717 22718 22719