users online
Treason~!
 Leviathan.Snakeslice
Serveur: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: neavep
By Leviathan.Snakeslice 2011-02-08 11:41:14
Link | Citer | R

"China is producing 3-5 plants a week where America isn't allowed to produce 3 in one year"
Jesus... where can we get construction workers that build that fast? I say we have the Chinese do all of our construction jobs! Roads remodeled in a day, new buildings and corp corporations torn down and built back up in a week. There has been construction on a road I use to and from work that's been slow traffic over the past 6 months, I wouldn't mind them coming in and finishing it a week.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2011-02-08 12:16:14
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Terminus said:
Is the video a little crazy? Yeah, for sure. But it's so easy to point and laugh and think everything's ok and forget about it. Or, you could take a couple things from it:

1. Everyone shares the same planet. Allowing one group of people to rape and destroy it while forcing another to tiptoe softly makes absolutely zero sense from an environmental perspective.

2. We do actually import oil that we could extract ourselves. Not only could we extract it ourselves, we could do so in a much more ecologically conscious way. Just not having to ship it in from the other side of the globe is a big deal. This makes no sense from an environmental perspective.

3. There are several recent laws and hundreds (thousands?) of accompanying exemptions issued. A law ought to be a law. Yet, AAA can't isn't allowed to do what BBB does. Within the US. That makes no sense, period.

4. It actually snowed quite a bit where I am last night. I did in fact see a car pulled over across the street and down a bit from a car that had run off the road. I can relate to the absurd priorities that the police sometimes have.

Or yeah, make some jokes, re-affirm whatever hipster political attitude you've been working on, and just ignore ***like that. It's all good.

The video is a lot crazy.

1. The US industrial revolution began in the 1820/30's (when railroads really began taking off). China (who I'm assuming you are referring to) really started industrializing in the 1980's. The US and Europe have contributed highly to the state of the world (in terms of environmental pollution) and should be reforming. The up-in-coming nations will benefit from this (hopefully) and have more options when making energy policy. China is already taking steps to limit their effects because of environmental problems that have already started (they are having serious problems with their water supply).

What I see you are saying is that the current industrialized nations should just continue with how they have been doing business for the last 200 years.

2. Depends on what oil reserves you are talking about. Part of the point of having reserves is for when a crisis comes along. The US produces 7,196 barrels a day and consumes 18,686 barrels a day. Proved reserves in the US 28.4 thousand million barrels.

From an environmental stand point it may not make sense (I don't know all the facts) but from an economic standpoint it makes perfect sense. Get what you need the cheapest possible way. However, while the US is doing this they could also be working diligently on creating more sustainable energy which in the long run would benefit both the environment and business/people. Long-term sustainability should always be the goal.

3. I agree 100% the laws in the US are needlessly complicated. Get rid of lobbyists and hold elected officials responsible for their decisions.

4. Maybe I haven't had enough coffee today but I have no idea what you mean in that statement.

Phoenix.Excelior said:
I think we should talk about sensationalist reporting before we talk about a power company conspiracy.

I agree. While we are talking about sensationalist reporting we should also talk about how people take everything mentioned on the news as 100% fact without bothering to check anything.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Serveur: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-02-08 12:41:55
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Kara said:
I agree. While we are talking about sensationalist reporting we should also talk about how people take everything mentioned on the news as 100% fact without bothering to check anything.
I agree we should speak upon this fact, not that most of us don't fall under the magnifying glass ourselves.
I'm going to mention several different concepts, all fitting into what the bold is alluding to.

Quote:
The Misconception: Your opinions of people and events are based on objective evaluation.

The Truth: You translate your physical world into words, and then believe those words describe your situation.

more at:
Embodied Cognition.

in the same vein we also have:
Quote:
The Misconception: With the advent of mass media, you understand how the world works based on statistics and facts culled from many examples.

The Truth: You are far more likely to believe something is commonplace if you can find just one example of it, and you are far less likely to believe in something you’ve never seen or heard of.

more at:
Availability Heuristic

and here's a pretty big one.

Quote:
The Misconception: You are skeptical of generalities.

The Truth: You are prone to believing vague statements and predictions are true, especially if they are positive and address you personally.

more at:
Subjective Validation

and then we get to another one, most of these are in the same vein of thought really:

Quote:
The Misconception: Your opinions are the result of years of rational, objective analysis.

The Truth: Your opinions are the result of years of paying attention to information which confirmed what you believed while ignoring information which challenged your preconceived notions.

Confirmation Bias

and then to top it off we have hindsight bias:

Quote:
The Misconception: After you learn something new, you remember how you were once ignorant or wrong.

The Truth: You often look back on the things you’ve just learned and assume you knew them or believed them all along.

Hindsight Bias
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2011-02-08 13:13:03
Link | Citer | R

Vinvv, you must love Philosophy of Science classes?
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-02-08 13:20:23
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Kara said:
I haven't been to any, but I'd imagine I'd like it as long as there was a good professor lol.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2011-02-08 13:32:26
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Kara said:
I haven't been to any, but I'd imagine I'd like it as long as there was a good professor lol.

Basically everything you posted is covered along with some other theories my class. My professor sucked and I hated the class. He wrote the book and it was not very good.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-02-08 13:35:33
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Kara said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Kara said:

Basically everything you posted is covered along with some other theories my class. My professor sucked and I hated the class. He wrote the book and it was not very good.
Pretty much from that I've taken that I'm guilty of most of that and can't really actively do much against it so I just go with the flow with it lol.
But at least being remotely aware of how my brain goes about things is pretty good at least.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2011-02-08 13:56:51
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Kara said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Kara said:

Pretty much from that I've taken that I'm guilty of most of that and can't really actively do much against it so I just go with the flow with it lol.
But at least being remotely aware of how my brain goes about things is pretty good at least.

The point of the class is to teach students who will be collecting data (engineers/scientists/economists/marketing-whatever) how to be more analytical when collecting the data. It is basically a history of how the scientific method was developed and implemented today.

Analyzing case studies can be fun but it depends on your professor so much. If he is a droning robot like mine was, the class can be super annoying.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-02-08 14:56:14
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Kara said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Kara said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Kara said:

The point of the class is to teach students who will be collecting data (engineers/scientists/economists/marketing-whatever) how to be more analytical when collecting the data. It is basically a history of how the scientific method was developed and implemented today.

Analyzing case studies can be fun but it depends on your professor so much. If he is a droning robot like mine was, the class can be super annoying.
Or does it teach the economists/makreting-whatever how to make collected data appear the way which they wish it to appear?
Probably a bit of both.
I just want to become really good at cold reading.