Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Warrior » Tank Sets
Tank Sets
 Odin.Sheelay
Serveur: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-02-01 15:46:15
Link | Citer | R

For a quick look at what PDT and MDT gear you can get off the AH and not, you can check this identical topic.

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/16169/war-pdt-and-mdt-sets/

Since then the only additions have been from Twilight torque and the Atlas GA which I was using as example back then reaching -12 PDT with the +2 Upgrade.

I'd suggest you skip purchasing stuff from the AH and get 1 or 2 friends to help with Quetzalli, Turul etc. real quick. They commonly drop other nice stuff too.

As for Brave Grip i'd say it's pretty nice now with the right Atma Combinations ( I like RR, VV, Apoc )
 Quetzalcoatl.Neisan
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Nanashi14
By Quetzalcoatl.Neisan 2011-02-01 17:21:50
Link | Citer | R

Re-evaluating grips Brave Grip might be good if you don't have Emp+2 feet, assuming War has Critical attack bonus 2 and with RR plus the feet, you're only 2% from crit damage cap so just like with Cavaros mantle Brave Grip starts looking less attractive. Going to stand by Rose if it xhits / Sword if it doesn't hurt xhit > Claymore if neither situation is met inside Abyssea
 Ragnarok.Erikthecleric
Serveur: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Erikthecleric 2011-02-02 07:31:04
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Ragnarok.Erikthecleric said:
x-hit builds mean next to nothing in abyssea. VV + getting hit with melees/AoEs (it'll happen) will make x-hits worthless.

wat

Maybe its just me, but Idk... I think shooting for 16.7% x6 is worthless /inside/ of abyssea (outside is different). Even then Shooting for x-hit builds does nothing if you get TP from being meleed, casted upon, and regain does it not? Even counting the regain effect in your x-hit builds does nothing once you get melee'd/casted upon :/

A note for myself is that if I end up going WAR I'm the one tanking if I'm actually dealing dmg. I also box a WHM that I simply cure bomb, and keep retaliation for extra TP from that... Riding Seigan and third eye will always get you melee'd at least a few times, unless the mob is extremely slow, or has low accuracy >.>
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Serveur: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-02-02 09:33:07
Link | Citer | R

It won't be the mathed out number, but even just averaging the times it really does save you a hit with all other factors added in (regain, being hit, etc), it's still going to be more of an overall increase than anything else, provided you're not giving up a chunk of haste for it.
 Ragnarok.Erikthecleric
By Ragnarok.Erikthecleric 2011-02-02 10:18:28
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
It won't be the mathed out number, but even just averaging the times it really does save you a hit with all other factors added in (regain, being hit, etc), it's still going to be more of an overall increase than anything else, provided you're not giving up a chunk of haste for it.

What's a good TP/hit to aim for factoring in the regain from VV? I went through and looked up ukon TP/hit and found a /true/ 6-hit, though some of it is out of reach, once I actually get the Ukon (wont be hard as soon as I help finish a kannagi)...

Here's what I'm looking at for TP gear (cant think of anything better for ranged atm) 16.7% exactly

[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-02-02 10:48:05
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
and found a /true/ 6-hit, though some of it is out of reach, though some of it is out of reach,

You can 5-hit Ukon >.>
[+]
 Ragnarok.Erikthecleric
By Ragnarok.Erikthecleric 2011-02-02 11:08:12
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

You can 5-hit Ukon >.>

I assume thats including regain? Im sure theres a way, but offhand I cant think of anything without sacing haste... I'd have a better look into it if I werent so damn tired...
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-02-02 11:14:15
Link | Citer | R

Not including regain.

war/sam

20.9 tp/hit, 25% haste. You can put on dusk for the 1 haste, but that 1 haste is rly some decimal value isn't going to beat af3+2 w/ restraint up.

Take it all off (aside from strap, brutal, rajas) for ws and you get 17.1 for the first hit of the ws.

So even assuming the 2nd hit misses

17.1 + (20.9 x 4) = 100.7

don't even need to land both hits of the ws to maintain 5hit

Ragnarok.Erikthecleric
By Ragnarok.Erikthecleric 2011-02-02 11:27:28
Link | Citer | R

The ZNM looks like it'll be a pain in the *** (easy, but ugh ZNMs) and the strap, cause like I said before, campaign is dead to me (guess I could drudge out the rest if I /had/ too). Zelus wont be hard with a brew I guess. I'd probably just stick with what I had for now, til i actually got most of that stuff...

and lol at derailing topic, though OP hasnt said anything since his 2nd post >.>...
[+]
 Bahamut.Zorander
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2011-02-02 11:34:06
Link | Citer | R

The ZNM looks like it'll be a pain in the *** (easy, but ugh ZNMs) and the strap, cause like I said before, campaign is dead to me (guess I could drudge out the rest if I /had/ too). Zelus wont be hard with a brew I guess. I'd probably just stick with what I had for now, til i actually got most of that stuff... and lol at derailing topic, though OP hasnt said anything since his 2nd post >.>...
Why even go thru the effort to make a bloody Ukon if you don't plan on gearing it correctly?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Erikthecleric
By Ragnarok.Erikthecleric 2011-02-02 11:40:59
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Zorander said:
The ZNM looks like it'll be a pain in the *** (easy, but ugh ZNMs) and the strap, cause like I said before, campaign is dead to me (guess I could drudge out the rest if I /had/ too). Zelus wont be hard with a brew I guess. I'd probably just stick with what I had for now, til i actually got most of that stuff... and lol at derailing topic, though OP hasnt said anything since his 2nd post >.>...
Why even go thru the effort to make a bloody Ukon if you don't plan on gearing it correctly?

Hurrr. Never said I wouldn't now did I? :D
[+]
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2011-02-02 11:44:05
Link | Citer | R

Nope you didn't you just bitched about need the gear you would need. And of all the gear..Rose is very easy to get. Not sure about the others. Just made me laugh with all the "ugh" "if I had too" mumbo jumbo.

[+]
 Ragnarok.Erikthecleric
By Ragnarok.Erikthecleric 2011-02-02 11:48:56
Link | Citer | R

Because I have done these things in the past, and found them to be boring as all hell. Campaign lost its edge to me, and I couldn't keep interest in Zeni past a tier 1 farming. Why exactly wouldn't I feel 'ugh' about doing things I found distateful?
[+]
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2011-02-02 11:52:08
Link | Citer | R

Because they will make you better...WAY WAY better. Almost instant 20% increase to damage is hard to turn down.

Endless grinding for Ukon is tasteful?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Erikthecleric
By Ragnarok.Erikthecleric 2011-02-02 11:54:40
Link | Citer | R

The fact that they will make me better does give me reasons to keep doing it, but that doesnt mean I'm gonna like all of it :/. Ukon wont be hard because of Cleave burning. I enjoy cleave burning, though I havent for KIs yet, just to spam time/exp when farming for briareus.
[+]
 Bismarck.Altar
Serveur: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2011-02-02 13:41:14
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

I think the regain earring from wotg would be better than the Attila's
Thoughts?
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-02-02 13:43:48
Link | Citer | R

going to 5hit either wya, not going to make a big diff. I guess you could put attack or something as a 2nd augment.
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
Serveur: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2011-02-02 13:50:14
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm reading 19.8% return with that set, unless there's some hidden store tp i'm unaware of

if you ukko'd in the same set, you could hold it without regain/being-hit, but that defeats the purpose (of course); moonshade earring's regain should fix that issue though
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-02-02 13:53:39
Link | Citer | R

Oh, yea I ***for a moment there. I was using my own goal set and I'm doing WoE version. Used maschu+2 delay.

That should still work in abyssea at least though, w/ VV.
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
Serveur: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2011-02-02 13:54:52
Link | Citer | R

derp ;z lol

well still though, like i said, a regain moonshade earring (over attila's earring) should fix the issue regardless as far as i'm aware outside of abyssea
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-02-02 13:55:58
Link | Citer | R

Herpin and derpin like a bawz
 Alexander.Vivicide
Serveur: Alexander
user: Vivicide
By Alexander.Vivicide 2011-02-02 18:19:20
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

For throwing slot you could use ravager's orb as the acc isn't needed. Acc should be more then capped if you are using RR atma in abyssea. On that same note I don't think you need toreadors ring.. but you have capped haste so you could go with like a strigoi ring or something to put in it's place for more stats.

I currently could also use one of them strigoi rings.. meh.. I have better things to work on atm though.
 Quetzalcoatl.Neisan
By Quetzalcoatl.Neisan 2011-02-02 21:16:17
Link | Citer | R

Check the edit, Ukon is 482 delay so to 5 hit he needs hoard.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [34 days between previous and next post]
 Ramuh.Attribute
Serveur: Ramuh
user: XGP0001
By Ramuh.Attribute 2011-03-08 15:56:32
Link | Citer | R

This is what I use for emergency's and massive incoming magic. According to the mob I may even full time in it. Needs more work still though.

Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-03-08 16:08:38
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Attribute said:
This is what I use for emergency's and massive incoming magic. According to the mob I may even full time in it. Needs more work still though.

I'd suggest making 2 separate builds, one for PDT and one for MDT. It's boring and all, but it will grant you a greaer survivability in each separate situation.

If I recall right you are working on a Ukon GA, so I wouldn't go as far as swaping grips in and out and lose TP for a -2% PDT or -5% MDT improvement ( from vallus grip ) or Ammo.
 Ramuh.Attribute
Serveur: Ramuh
user: XGP0001
By Ramuh.Attribute 2011-03-08 16:15:53
Link | Citer | R

Yah I only have the Grip out of my satchel if I am full timing it, same goes for the Lamian.
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-03-08 16:21:29
Link | Citer | R

The -2& PDT can be really bad if it means you are giving up on an XHit build or anything.
I like using it for my poor man's PDT build but I wouldn't recommend using it with and Ukon at any time.

You're better off maximizing your DD potential and swapping to what else you can wear to mitigate damage without losing TP or crippling your overall damage.
 Quetzalcoatl.Neisan
By Quetzalcoatl.Neisan 2011-03-08 22:44:03
Link | Citer | R

I'd consider Eisen while expecting to facetank something with rapid attacks but generally don't use it, also if you're expecting to get facesmacked that much you probably don't care about an xhit since you're getting tp from being hit/retaliations.

I use Killer Shortbow if tanking /sam on some nms with annoying moves, a shame the proc rate is so low (I consider the ammo/range slot expendable inside abyssea since fstr is capped with VV and if I don't need white tath for STP due to as mentioned above, getting hit alot).
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-03-08 22:50:43
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Skarwind said:

PDT Set(WIP) Need's Twilight Necklace, HQ Head/Hands(Or Heavy Gauntlets), Some good Augs on Dark Rings/Earrings, and Ruffian leggings. (Have Earth Staff for procs/emergencies)

MDT- Need Twilight neck again, some kinda cape, and HQ body.

IR Lance for procs/emergencies

This so far. The MDT Build does me wonders.
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-03-08 23:53:56
Link | Citer | R

Hmm, with Shell V granting between 24 and 27 MDT (roughed down the the stats between base and merited Magic Damage Reduction) we only need 26~23 MDT in gear, meaning we could get something like this:

The iron Ram set bonus comes in handy considering it grants elemental resistance increases, and with some luck on augmented Dark rings it would be possible to wear 4/5 by replacing Askar gambieras or even the full set since the max augment on the rings is -6% reduction.