Bill Clinton Comes To Save The Day!

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Bill Clinton comes to save the day!
Bill Clinton comes to save the day!
First Page 2
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Serveur: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-12-11 03:43:59
Link | Citer | R

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101210/ap_on_bi_ge/us_obama_clinton_9

Quote:
"If I was in office now, I would have done what the president has done," he said.

Clinton, whose focus on the economy helped get him elected in 1992, said he spends about an hour a day studying up on it and trying to figure out what to do about it.
 Bahamut.Serj
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2010-12-11 03:45:14
Link | Citer | R

Yahoo news........ Ugggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggh /convulses
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-12-11 03:46:27
Link | Citer | R

We should just let slick willy here fix everything.
He did create a booming economy.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-12-11 03:47:22
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Serj said:
Here lol
http://money.cnn.com/2010/12/10/news/economy/Clinton_Obama_Tax/index.htm?section=money_mostpopular
[+]
 Bahamut.Serj
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2010-12-11 03:50:15
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
We should just let slick willy here fix everything.
He did create a booming economy.

I love the way you put stuff.

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Bahamut.Serj said:
Here lol
http://money.cnn.com/2010/12/10/news/economy/Clinton_Obama_Tax/index.htm?section=money_mostpopular

Ty, lol.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-12-11 04:01:35
Link | Citer | R

[+]
 Phoenix.Excelior
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-12-11 21:11:02
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
We should just let slick willy here fix everything. He did create a booming economy.

He didn't create a booming economy. In fact if he did you're directly blamming him for our current crisis. A boom in the economy is an unstable increase.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-11 21:14:24
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Indeed he does. I mean who else would have the balls to to nit pick the meaning of the word is when being questioned about sleeping with Ms. cankles?
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
Serveur: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-12-11 21:19:18
Link | Citer | R

Didn't people hate Clinton when he was in power?
[+]
 Ramuh.Ilvex
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Ilvex
By Ramuh.Ilvex 2010-12-11 21:28:40
Link | Citer | R

yeah pretty much the same people who hate Obama now, go fig
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra 2010-12-11 21:32:30
Link | Citer | R

I thought Bill Clinton really just rode the Silicon Valley Economic Boom.

That's what my folk always said. I wasn't really too aware of the world back then. Any thoughts?
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-11 21:34:53
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra said:

That's what my folk always said. I wasn't really too aware of the world back then. Any thoughts?
He also cut military spending alot which kinda freed up a large amount of money.

I would say that was the only thing I liked about Bush was when I was in he raised military spending which resulted in alot of raises for me lol
[+]
 Bismarck.Patrik
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2010-12-11 21:38:45
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Didn't people hate Clinton when he was in power?
tied FDR for highest approval rating at end of office, so that's gotta stand for something XD
 Kujata.Akeda
Serveur: Kujata
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-12-11 22:49:09
Link | Citer | R

I loled at this. Is Obama really that desperate that he has to call on a former president to do his speeches for him now?

[+]
 Odin.Gosuapple
Serveur: Odin
user: gosuapple
By Odin.Gosuapple 2010-12-11 22:59:15
Link | Citer | R

Presidents are happy to tell you they've given us the dawn of a new golden age when they economy is good and conveniently blame the other guy when it's bad. The dirty little secret is that the president can't do ***about the economy. (Reagan may be an exception since his philosophies on economics became incredibly widespread, including spreading to the people who DO effect the economy)
The American legal system as it pertains to government is meant to be very slow moving, and when you add to that the fact that the economy of a large nation is, by its very nature slow to respond to changes, at best a president may manage to effect the economy in some small degree by the time his successor's successor is in office.
But yeah, any economist worth his weight in ***will tell you that the president has a very nominal effect on the economy at best. Take the crappy economy we have now, you'd be hard pressed to explain why it's all Obama's fault even to me, and I hate Obama.

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Razushu
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Razushu
By Fenrir.Razushu 2010-12-11 23:05:34
Link | Citer | R

Yahoo said:
Clinton gave the package his full-throated endorsement,

Clinton, package, full-throated.... Hmmm... I really feel like there should be a joke here.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Zeldageek
user: zeldageek
By Quetzalcoatl.Zeldageek 2010-12-11 23:13:51
Link | Citer | R

Funny, cause FDR was one of the worst presidents this country ever had.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Galvaya
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Galvaya
By Lakshmi.Galvaya 2010-12-11 23:14:23
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Zeldageek said:
Actually very true.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-11 23:18:59
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Galvaya said:
Actually very true.
Yeah but he was one of the few presidents in recent history with charisma merits...
[+]

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-11 23:24:39
Link | Citer | R

Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
I thought Bill Clinton really just rode the Silicon Valley Economic Boom. That's what my folk always said. I wasn't really too aware of the world back then. Any thoughts?
He also cut military spending alot which kinda freed up a large amount of money. I would say that was the only thing I liked about Bush was when I was in he raised military spending which resulted in alot of raises for me lol
Follow your nose moron! Follow your nose!
I like money :)
By Artemicion 2010-12-12 00:00:44
Link | Citer | R

My political hero... Who else?

[+]
 Lakshmi.Snuffy
Serveur: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Snuffy 2010-12-12 00:30:09
Link | Citer | R

Gosuapple said:
The dirty little secret is that the president can't do ***about the economy.

The Prez has no direct powers, but he gets to appoint people who do, such as the Chairman of the Federal Reserve, who sets the interest rates for banks which determines how profitable it is for businesses to expand (among many other things), the Treasury Secretary (who has a say in the affairs of Treasury Bonds, the stuff all money in the world is backed on), and the heads of various federal agencies which regulate subsets of the economy. For example the Secretary of the Dept of Transportation has influence in the long term infrastructure of roads and rail that determine where businesses grow, as well as the actual projects of building that infrastructure which creates its own economic activity.

If the candidates for these positions are selected to be competent, connected, and ambitious, they can execute the President's economic vision very well. But it requires that the President know who the good candidates are, and that he chooses those that meet all 3 criteria. Sometimes people are chosen strictly because they're connected and have no idea how to do the job. Other times they are smart people who can't overcome the personality conflicts within bureaucratic organizations. It's not easy, but the potential for influence is there.

[+]
By Artemicion 2010-12-12 00:36:04
Link | Citer | R

Only real direct power they have is nuke launch codes, and passing/vetoing incoming bills.
 Odin.Gosuapple
By Odin.Gosuapple 2010-12-12 11:11:34
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Snuffy said:
Gosuapple said:

The Prez has no direct powers, but he gets to appoint people who do, such as the Chairman of the Federal Reserve, who sets the interest rates for banks which determines how profitable it is for businesses to expand (among many other things), the Treasury Secretary (who has a say in the affairs of Treasury Bonds, the stuff all money in the world is backed on), and the heads of various federal agencies which regulate subsets of the economy. For example the Secretary of the Dept of Transportation has influence in the long term infrastructure of roads and rail that determine where businesses grow, as well as the actual projects of building that infrastructure which creates its own economic activity.

If the candidates for these positions are selected to be competent, connected, and ambitious, they can execute the President's economic vision very well. But it requires that the President know who the good candidates are, and that he chooses those that meet all 3 criteria. Sometimes people are chosen strictly because they're connected and have no idea how to do the job. Other times they are smart people who can't overcome the personality conflicts within bureaucratic organizations. It's not easy, but the potential for influence is there.

The presidents power to appoint is a great boon to his party for politically charged offices, supreme court justices for example. But the offices that really impact the economy aren't politically charged. Lets take your example of head of the FED, how many presidents did Greenspan go through on both sides of the political isle before voluntarily stepping down because he was old and wanted to retire? Plenty. Who was the head during the Bush years? Ben Bernackie. Now of course when Obama took over he shook things up and changed it to Ben Bernackie, whereas if McCain had won it'd be Ben Bernackie instead.
 Bismarck.Altar
Serveur: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2010-12-12 11:21:45
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Galvaya said:
Actually very true.
Don't know much about FDRs presidency. But it "ended" during one of the highest moments of patriotism in the US.
 Quetzalcoatl.Zeldageek
user: zeldageek
By Quetzalcoatl.Zeldageek 2010-12-12 11:24:36
Link | Citer | R

Certain presidents have the power to start a landslide of horrible horrible programs, especially in times war, sometimes they can make "deals" that are irreversible and damaging.
 Ramuh.Thunderz
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-12-12 11:27:20
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Gosuapple said:
Lakshmi.Snuffy said:
Gosuapple said:

The presidents power to appoint is a great boon to his party for politically charged offices, supreme court justices for example. But the offices that really impact the economy aren't politically charged. Lets take your example of head of the FED, how many presidents did Greenspan go through on both sides of the political isle before voluntarily stepping down because he was old and wanted to retire? Plenty. Who was the head during the Bush years? Ben Bernackie. Now of course when Obama took over he shook things up and changed it to Ben Bernackie, whereas if McCain had won it'd be Ben Bernackie instead.

Prez can effect the economy with taxes and with setting fees or limits to imports to give strategic advantages to local economy. Also subsidizing some parts of the economy... etc

Odin.Gosuapple
By Odin.Gosuapple 2010-12-12 11:32:09
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Thunderz said:

Prez can effect the economy with taxes and with setting fees or limits to imports to give strategic advantages to local economy. Also subsidizing some parts of the economy... etc

All of the things you listed above are congress not the president. And as an aside tariffs and quotas can only ever hurt the local economy, not help it.
First Page 2