Russian Double-standard?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Russian double-standard?
Russian double-standard?
 Luz
By Luz 2010-12-10 21:17:29
Link | Citer | R

Wikipedia link with a ton of relevant information regarding the 2010 recipient

Empty chair takes spotlight at Nobel prize gala - Reuters

Quote:
(Reuters) - The focus of attention at Friday's Nobel ceremony was not a proud laureate, overwhelmed at receiving what many people regard as the world's most prestigious prize. It was his empty chair.

The Nobel Peace laureate, dissident Liu Xiaobo who has called for democracy and human rights in China, is serving an 11-year jail term in his home country.

With his wife Liu Xia and other relatives unable to travel abroad, the Nobel peace laureate was not formally represented at the ceremony for the first time in 75 years.

On the stage inside Oslo's mural-clad City Hall, alongside the seated Norwegian Nobel Committee members, Liu's chair stood empty until panel chief Thorbjoern Jagland solemnly placed the Nobel diploma on it, to a standing ovation from 1,000 guests.

"Tears came to my eyes at that moment," said Lu Jing Hua, 50, a friend of Liu Xiaobo and one of about 50 Chinese dissidents living outside China invited to the gala. "I feel very happy because everyone knows now who Liu Xiaobo is and this prize is a great honor for him.

"But I am so sad because he is not here to receive it."

Actress Liv Ullmann read out the final statement Liu made at his trial in December 2009 on charges of subversion against the state.

"I have no enemies and no hatred," Ullmann read, as Norway's King Harald and Queen Sonja listened. "None of the police who monitored, arrested, and interrogated me, none of the prosecutors who indicted me, and none of the judges who judged me are my enemies."

Ullman then read out words of love Liu expressed for his wife, who is believed to have been under house arrest in China since October.

"Your love is the sunlight that leaps over high walls and penetrates the iron bars of my prison window ... Even if I were crushed into powder, I would still use my ashes to embrace you."

Once the ceremony was over, a number of Chinese dissidents took pictures on the podium and underneath the picture of a smiling Liu Xiaobo. Nobody sat in his chair.

Alfred Nobel's will in regards to the recipient of the prize is:

Quote:
According to Nobel's will, the Peace Prize should be awarded to the person who
“ ...shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses."

Now whether or not the Chinese recipient this year falls under the description of who should be receiving the prize is up for interpretation. The general consensus, as far as I have read, is that what Julian Assange has done with the release of the embassy cables is increase international tensions, not bring about more peace or help to influence reduction of standing armies. The funny thing here is that about 20 nations, both anti-American (Cuba, Venezuela, and Iran for example) and countries who China has a great deal of influence over have opposed the 2010 recipient. Russia supports China's stance on this recipient.

Russia takes it one step further though.

Google search of stories relating to a Russian official saying Julian Assange deserves the prize

Does someone else who also doesn't fall under the description of Nobel's will really deserve the prize because he is against the American government instead of the Chinese government? It looks to me like in the eyes of the Russian government, the prize is just a tool to support their agenda.

If someone who calls for human rights in China were pit against someone who publishes leaks from a government (that I know most of you hate), would you really support the leak publisher over the peaceful human rights advocate serving an 11 year jail term for criticizing his government?

Edit: Forgot to say, remember that Jaerik asked we do not disclose leaks on this site because it could cost the jobs of some of the FFXIAH staff.
 Quetzalcoatl.Soube
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Soube
By Quetzalcoatl.Soube 2010-12-11 01:54:02
Link | Citer | R

Let's see...

A man fighting for humane and civil treatment of his fellow countrymen under an oppressive government or a guy who tattles on a country he doesn't like because they're poopy faces...

Which do you think is making more of an attempt at advancing the cause of peace in the world?

I'm very glad it was awarded to mister Liu Xiaobo, even if only in absentia. The fact that the Chinese government views someone lobbying peacefully for human rights as enough of a threat to imprison that person is very powerful evidence of how poorly they treat their citizens.

It's a good thing that despite their personal bias the Russian government still managed to put that aside and award it to someone truly deserving.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Serveur: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-12-11 02:01:35
Link | Citer | R

Julian Assange could definitely use the money. I wonder if they would allow him to receive it though if he was awarded the prize.

By Lieniite 2010-12-11 02:19:19
Link | Citer | R

Assange isnt working to better mankind? Look what wikileaks revealed

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2010/12/wikileaks_texas_company_helped.php
 Quetzalcoatl.Soube
By Quetzalcoatl.Soube 2010-12-11 02:26:33
Link | Citer | R

Has Assange lobbied in Afghanistan for an end to these parties? Has he protested or lobbied the Afghan government to put an end to child prostitution? Has he created orphanages to take in and educate children who were victims of this crime? Has he made any kind of documentary or film chronicling the lives and struggles of these young boys in an attempt to draw attention to their plight?

No, what he does is release government documents to toss egg on some political faces.

I fail to see how that is working to better mankind.
[+]
By Lieniite 2010-12-11 02:29:35
Link | Citer | R

He is showing the world the truth. What is better, a man who works for one country or a man who works for all?
By Lieniite 2010-12-11 02:32:11
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Soube said:
Has Assange lobbied in Afghanistan for an end to these parties? Has he protested or lobbied the Afghan government to put an end to child prostitution? Has he created orphanages to take in and educate children who were victims of this crime? Has he made any kind of documentary or film chronicling the lives and struggles of these young boys in an attempt to draw attention to their plight? No, what he does is release government documents to toss egg on some political faces. I fail to see how that is working to better mankind.

Has America who knew about these sex slave boys done anything? No they just covered it up.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-12-11 02:32:33
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
For his work with WikiLeaks, Assange received the 2008 Economist Freedom of Expression Award and the 2010 Sam Adams Award. Utne Reader named him as one of the "25 Visionaries Who Are Changing Your World". In 2010, New Statesman ranked Assange number 23 among the "The World's 50 Most Influential Figures".

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Assange
 Quetzalcoatl.Soube
By Quetzalcoatl.Soube 2010-12-11 02:35:12
Link | Citer | R

~Deleted due to outdated info on my part~
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-11 02:36:14
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Soube said:
Which is better, a man who is imprisoned for fighting to gain civil and humane treatment of people, or a man who is in prison for raping a woman in her sleep?

do you have proof of this?
[+]
By Lieniite 2010-12-11 02:37:36
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Soube said:
Which is better, a man who is imprisoned for fighting to gain civil and humane treatment of people, or a man who is in prison for raping a woman in her sleep?

The two women he raped...... LOL one has left Sweden and is not taking part in the case anymore and the 2nd is claiming she was raped because he did not wear a condom...and after this rape she drove him to and sat through a 90 minute lecture by him...clearly the actions of a raped woman.

She is saying it was rape because they had sex the night before with a condom and then next morning without a condom. Please watch something other than Fox news for your infomation
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-12-11 02:38:29
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Soube said:
Which is better, a man who is imprisoned for fighting to gain civil and humane treatment of people, or a man who is in prison for raping a woman in her sleep having a condom break during sex because they couldn't find anything else to charge him with after all the secrets he leak about what abuses different governments have tried to cover up?
ftfy
 Quetzalcoatl.Soube
By Quetzalcoatl.Soube 2010-12-11 02:39:03
Link | Citer | R

Lieniite said:
Quetzalcoatl.Soube said:
Has Assange lobbied in Afghanistan for an end to these parties? Has he protested or lobbied the Afghan government to put an end to child prostitution? Has he created orphanages to take in and educate children who were victims of this crime? Has he made any kind of documentary or film chronicling the lives and struggles of these young boys in an attempt to draw attention to their plight? No, what he does is release government documents to toss egg on some political faces. I fail to see how that is working to better mankind.

Has America who knew about these sex slave boys done anything? No they just covered it up.

Are you serious? It was PBS who DREW ATTENTION TO THESE PARTIES! They did a story about them in APRIL, long before the latest back of wikileaks info.

Source : http://www.homorazzi.com/article/afghanistan-bacha-bazi-boy-play-pbs-frontline-child-prostitution-video-sex-trade-documentary/
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-11 02:39:43
Link | Citer | R

I find that both deserve rewards for their efforts, however from the information here about their exploits, (unless people have a lot more, but make a tl;dr version please) I'd have to say that Liu Xiaobo deserves it.
By Lieniite 2010-12-11 02:41:03
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Soube said:
Lieniite said:
Quetzalcoatl.Soube said:
Are you serious? It was PBS who FIRST DREW ATTENTION TO THESE PARTIES! They did a story about them in APRIL, long before the latest back of wikileaks info. Source : http://www.homorazzi.com/article/afghanistan-bacha-bazi-boy-play-pbs-frontline-child-prostitution-video-sex-trade-documentary/

I'm sorry i should have stated i ment America the government not Amercia the tv channel.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-11 02:41:32
Link | Citer | R

Lieniite said:
Quetzalcoatl.Soube said:

The two women he raped...... LOL one has left Sweden and is not taking part in the case anymore and the 2nd is claiming she was raped because he did not wear a condom...and after this rape she drove him to and sat through a 90 minute lecture by him...clearly the actions of a raped woman.

She is saying it was rape because they had sex the night before with a condom and then next morning without a condom. Please watch something other than Fox news for your infomation
Oh Snap!
 Quetzalcoatl.Soube
By Quetzalcoatl.Soube 2010-12-11 02:43:58
Link | Citer | R

Which might actually be relevant except that I detest fox news and refuse to watch it. Honestly I have not kept up on the latest info with this Assagne guy as I find him sleazy and shady so I'm sorry if any of my info is out of date on him.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-12-11 02:44:28
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
I find that both deserve rewards for their efforts, however from the information here about their exploits, (unless people have a lot more, but make a tl;dr version please) I'd have to say that Liu Xiaobo deserves it.
Probably, but they won't let him collect it so they might as well give it to someone who can use the money.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-11 02:46:44
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Probably, but they won't let him collect it so they might as well give it to someone who can use the money.

Meh, I'm talking about the award and it's honor, not the money. People who receive a humanitarian award shouldn't give 2 shits about money. If the man needs money though, maybe you should write him a check, or start a fundraiser for him?
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Soube
By Quetzalcoatl.Soube 2010-12-11 02:47:39
Link | Citer | R

Lieniite said:
Quetzalcoatl.Soube said:
Lieniite said:
Quetzalcoatl.Soube said:
Are you serious? It was PBS who FIRST DREW ATTENTION TO THESE PARTIES! They did a story about them in APRIL, long before the latest back of wikileaks info. Source : http://www.homorazzi.com/article/afghanistan-bacha-bazi-boy-play-pbs-frontline-child-prostitution-video-sex-trade-documentary/

I'm sorry i should have stated i ment America the government not Amercia the tv channel.

And when is the last time ANY government got involved in activism? Human rights violations are (sadly) not on most governments high priority list at the moment. I suppose it's not enough that the american press and people are shocked and appalled by this story without our government spelling it out for you...
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-12-11 02:50:02
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:

Meh, I'm talking about the award and it's honor, not the money. People who receive a humanitarian award shouldn't give 2 shits about money. If the man needs money though, maybe you should write him a check, or start a fundraiser for him?
BAKE SALE!

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Luz
By Luz 2010-12-11 08:05:46
Link | Citer | R

Couldn't post earlier but yeah, this thread is not to bash Assange. I just don't see how that Russian official can believe that Assange deserves it over the Chinese man. Wanted to get your guys' opinion on who is more deserving. I personally like Assange, and the evidence is mounting that those rape charges are complete ***.

Edit: China also apparently made their own "peace prize" that they awarded for the first time this year. Interesting stuff. I'm linking Rachel Maddow video from earlier today, before you QQ about MSNBC video let me tell you now I don't care as I only watch her on MSNBC and I respect the way she researches and conveys stories, and makes them funny sometimes too :D Take from it what you will but I think it's interesting and relevant to the discussion.