WAR PDT And MDT Sets.

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Warrior » WAR PDT and MDT sets.
WAR PDT and MDT sets.
 Quetzalcoatl.Seveth
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Seveth
By Quetzalcoatl.Seveth 2010-11-21 09:27:35
Link | Citer | R

Can i get some examples of these sets. Please exclude odin drops/nocturnus. Thank you!
 Odin.Sheelay
Serveur: Odin
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2010-11-21 09:34:59
Link | Citer | R

I think ideally this is the highest -PDT you can get on WAR:

Atlas +1 following the earth path grants -11Pdt

The set actually overshoots the -50% cap, but marginally, and since Defending ring is part of it, I wouldn't get too worried about it on a more realistic build. (I'm just trying to give you a basic idea of the gear options)
Some Dark rings from Abyssea come with very good augments (up to -6 reductions I believe).

The -4% pdt from blitzer poleyn and the -3% from darksteel subligar +1 actually make them better than Inmicus Cuisses for -pdt, and the same can be said about ruffian leggings VS Askar Gambieras, but considering how often you'd find yourself tanking or trying to mitigate dmg on WAR, I'd try to save storage with straight -DMG gear.
For -PDT you could go for the Versa armor set, which is much easier to get.

I'll look on other gear rq to make sure what varies for -MDT and Re-Edit this post.

As with the pdt set, the legs from Merman set grant slightly better damage reduction than inmicus.

I didn't bother adding Defending ring since these other 2 options are much easier to obtain still. The same consideration could be made about Bravura of course....

In areas outside abyssea, provided you meet the requirements, resentment cape is better.

Ta-Daa
 Ragnarok.Harpunnik
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Harpunnik
By Ragnarok.Harpunnik 2010-11-21 09:49:59
Link | Citer | R

Thats pretty much it ^ Only change I would make is perhaps shadow mantle instead. Shadow mantle procs about 5-6% of the time I believe. So could possibly be better, I dunno, if anyone has any logic that makes my assumption wrong i'd like to see it ^^
 Quetzalcoatl.Seveth
By Quetzalcoatl.Seveth 2010-11-21 10:20:51
Link | Citer | R

I was also thinking from a tanking perspective, so wouldn't Axe + Shield be good? Especially the MDB from Seigneur Shield.

This is my set i came up w/. Versa Mufflers have Shield Skill +4 and 10HP.

Earth Axe. Same muffler augments.

I figured w/ a shield in sub you'll get access to Fencer + shield blocks and such. Might just be me thinking a bit too much into it.

Retaliation too, but you can have that active w/ or w/o a 1h weapon.
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2010-11-21 10:28:46
Link | Citer | R

If you want shield skill and HP use fighter's mufflers, fighter's mufflers +1 as reference.

What are you planning on fighting though?
I'd rather use a GA or even I.R. Lance for tanking since it would still put out better damage to hold hate with. WAR doesn't have such a great shield skill and fencer jt is a joke like resist virus.. I think the Axe+Shield combo for straight tanking would be situational at best.
 Quetzalcoatl.Seveth
By Quetzalcoatl.Seveth 2010-11-21 10:35:06
Link | Citer | R

I guess i was thinking more towards the new traits warrior post 80.
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2010-11-21 11:04:05
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Harpunnik said:
Thats pretty much it ^ Only change I would make is perhaps shadow mantle instead. Shadow mantle procs about 5-6% of the time I believe. So could possibly be better, I dunno, if anyone has any logic that makes my assumption wrong i'd like to see it ^^

Shadow Mantle and ring are great items for sure.

However, if I were to choose between hitting the 50% dmg reduction and them, I'd probably go for the permanent effect of a dmg reduction build.

Being able to halve the damage you take each and every time you are hit sounds safer than relying on an occasional and uncontrollable damage negation effect imo.
 Fenrir.Gradd
Serveur: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-11-21 11:16:01
Link | Citer | R

Valhalla Helm.
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2010-11-21 11:19:06
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Gradd said:
Valhalla Helm.

Quetzalcoatl.Seveth said:
Can i get some examples of these sets. Please exclude odin drops/nocturnus. Thank you!

:P
 Phoenix.Fredjan
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2010-11-21 11:23:06
Link | Citer | R

You're not a PLD, swap to Terra's if you're in trouble, etc.
[+]
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2010-11-21 11:30:21
Link | Citer | R

What is this "PLD" that you speak of?

In a scenario such as the one guessed by the OP, where WAR is tanking, switching to a Terra's staff for the physical damage reduction would mean dramatically killing your damage output, causing hate to drop more easily to the mages healing you and therefore potentially wiping the whole group.

Capping, or at least achieving high levels of dmg reduction is now much easier, so the next step for a WAR tank is increasing his dmg output.

Terra's staff tanking was dead long before Abyssea came out and PLD started losing terrain in Enmity control.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-11-21 22:42:34
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Harpunnik said:
Nothing should be one-shotting you in PDT gear, so consistency is preferable if it reduces more damage on average. We begin with the following:

This set has 30% PDT (assuming two 5% Dark Rings in place of the Jelly Rings) and doesn't even sacrifice your weapon.

PDT has increasing returns, and the -evasion on Metallon Mantle is negligible. 4% PDT with this set is a 6.06% reduction in average damage taken. I've heard Shadow Mantle's proc rate to be ~7%, which would be better in this case.

If we upgrade to Valhalla Helm/Breastplate, add a repelling collar, and add an augmented Darkness Earring with 2% PDT (from Scattered Shells, Scattered Mind), that brings the total to 36/40%. 4% PDT here is a 6.66~% reduction in damage, still favoring Shadow Mantle.

Basically, you need a Dring or PDT augmented axe to bring your PDT high enough to favor Metallon Mantle over Shadow Mantle, and even then it probably wins on Darksday.
 Ragnarok.Harpunnik
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Harpunnik
By Ragnarok.Harpunnik 2010-11-21 23:12:55
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Sheelay said:
Ragnarok.Harpunnik said:
Shadow Mantle and ring are great items for sure. However, if I were to choose between hitting the 50% dmg reduction and them, I'd probably go for the permanent effect of a dmg reduction build. Being able to halve the damage you take each and every time you are hit sounds safer than relying on an occasional and uncontrollable damage negation effect imo.

46% vs 50%. Personally i'd prefer the chance for getting a tp physical move made zilch then worry about 4% But was curious what others thought.
 Bismarck.Altar
Serveur: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2010-11-21 23:42:49
Link | Citer | R

@ Nightfyre, youre wearing two jelly rings.
Also You cant swap in an Eisen grip without losing all your tp

@ Harp
I agree with you on shadow mantle > Metallon
 Cerberus.Pukushu
Serveur: Cerberus
user: pukushu
By Cerberus.Pukushu 2010-11-22 00:04:02
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Altar said:
@ Nightfyre, youre wearing two jelly rings.
Also You cant swap in an Eisen grip without losing all your tp

@ Harp
I agree with you on shadow mantle > Metallon

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
This set has 30% PDT (assuming two 5% Dark Rings in place of the Jelly Rings) and doesn't even sacrifice your weapon.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-11-22 01:26:43
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Harpunnik said:
Odin.Sheelay said:
Ragnarok.Harpunnik said:
Shadow Mantle and ring are great items for sure. However, if I were to choose between hitting the 50% dmg reduction and them, I'd probably go for the permanent effect of a dmg reduction build. Being able to halve the damage you take each and every time you are hit sounds safer than relying on an occasional and uncontrollable damage negation effect imo.

46% vs 50%. Personally i'd prefer the chance for getting a tp physical move made zilch then worry about 4% But was curious what others thought.
4/50=1.08=8% increase, Metallon would be better.
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2010-11-24 02:15:57
Link | Citer | R

Before going for a break from the game in September I had finished the lvl 80 Atlas following the PDT path.

Given the ammount of buffs you can get from Abyssea, boosting all sorts of stats, I figured the one Atlas that gave something rather unique was the PDT one, especially since my char is a squishy mithra.

I'll say I wasn't regretting my choice a bit!
Although I may decide to try get another STR or DEX Atlas or even a Maschu when I come back, I'm very satisfied by the -10% PDT.

With it, should I ever decide to go for the cap, I won't even need a Defending ring to cap the 50% PDT Reduction.
 Cerberus.Blazed
Serveur: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Blazed 2010-11-25 00:26:49
Link | Citer | R

3 war/sams going all out with proper offensive and defensive (PDT) gear is a beautiful thing to watch. I took some screenshots at home, I'll post them for the curious. But Tiamat was hitting them for 130-140 each without MS. In Abyssea, the same wars just rape ***.