Where Do You Get Your News?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Where do you get your news?
Where do you get your news?
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Serveur: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-11-13 18:04:11
Link | Citer | R

Kujata.Daus said:
Yahoo's front page

lol

yahoo news is nice because I dont have to listen to anybody talk and I can read what I want..
This is where I get all the initial stories or headlines too. If something intrigues me enough I'll google it and make sure I don't pick the Christian Science links, lol.

Yahoo is nice for headlines, but then you got to research stuff if you want details. It's also nice if you setup it up for local stuff, as it shows headlines for local stories using the local newspapers.

BBC is also good for international stuff.

EDIT: Slashdot is good for technology related stuff too.
 Sylph.Lotusbluete
Serveur: Sylph
user: Katniss
By Sylph.Lotusbluete 2010-11-13 18:05:33
Link | Citer | R

get all my news from my co workers. i meet all 120 of them several times per day and everyone's babbling. love it <3
 Siren.Ilax
Serveur: Siren
user: FireDeath
By Siren.Ilax 2010-11-13 19:19:50
Link | Citer | R

All news have some false info, so i look somewhere else, google, Youtube, private web site, local news, and the most important, i always try to balance what i read and i can make my own opinion, that is way better then a brainwash.

Even local news from where i am is the same thing. Example, La Capitale Inc building burned down twice, the guy armed with his camera asked to the owner of 'La Capitale Inc' his reaction, and he answered something like the first time they lost a tons in the fire, but they learned from that experience and they was more ready this time to face the situation.

News did never shown this version, instead they shown the guy in the same building that was horrified by the event and was crying because he lost everything a second time, then show up logo of La Capital Inc saying that was second fire for them as well. Apparently, selling the idea that everyone lost everything in that fire was better. Fact is they omit the real news.

Major problem with popular news is probably because they do it for money now.

Take the event of '9/11', it is because CNN have no more info, or it is because they are not allowed to say anyone what they know? Oh of course they can show you a special camera hooked to a missile in direction to Iraq... Just funny. [Hello youtube in that case]

Anyway, all that to say i prefer to read multiple source rather then only one. I avoid to take the 'popular news' for the real story.
 Leviathan.Draylo
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-11-13 19:55:37
Link | Citer | R

yahoo :)
 Phoenix.Excelior
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-11-13 22:44:38
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Lotusbluete said:
get all my news from my co workers. i meet all 120 of them several times per day and everyone's babbling. love it <3

I'm sure if you deal with that many people most of them are in the business of being full of ***lol.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-11-13 22:47:19
Link | Citer | R

I don't keep up with most current events. I didn't even know about Hurricane Katrina until 3 weeks after it happened, when I overheard someone talking about it.
 Phoenix.Excelior
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-11-13 23:03:44
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
I don't keep up with most current events. I didn't even know about Hurricane Katrina until 3 weeks after it happened, when I overheard someone talking about it.

Don't feel bad. Most people think Bush didn't hear about it until almost a month later.
 Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Dawnn
By Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn 2010-11-13 23:38:30
Link | Citer | R

i get my news from ffxiah.com
[+]
 Unicorn.Ninetales
Serveur: Unicorn
user: Azulmagia
By Unicorn.Ninetales 2010-11-13 23:57:18
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Ejin said:
Fox News.

Please no "Conservative capital of the media" because most of you have mentioned CNN, the converse Liberal capital.
Anything looks like the converse liberal capital compared to Faux News.
[+]
By Genesimmons 2010-11-14 01:35:20
Link | Citer | R

Okay, I'll give you that MSNBC is overly liberal, but the people who cite CNN as having a liberal bias really need to lay off the drugs. Seriously, how can you accuse a network of having liberal bias when they give that conservative wench Nancy Grace an hour every night in prime time? CNN is probably the most moderate and impartial news network, it only looks liberal when you compare it to Faux, err, Fox News because it leans so far to the right.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-11-14 01:40:00
Link | Citer | R

NPR, BBC

Associated Press
[+]
 Sylph.Lotusbluete
user: Katniss
By Sylph.Lotusbluete 2010-11-14 01:52:19
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Excelior said:
Sylph.Lotusbluete said:

I'm sure if you deal with that many people most of them are in the business of being full of ***lol.

usually all the news are correct =) unless my trainees tell me them <.< its still a good laugh tho.
 Asura.Fetus
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Fetus 2010-11-14 02:09:49
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
NPR, BBC

Associated Press

This.
[+]
By slowlulz 2010-11-14 03:50:11
Link | Citer | R

national inquirer
 Leviathan.Dissonant
By Leviathan.Dissonant 2010-11-14 04:00:18
Link | Citer | R

Where else?

srs, though, I honestly am not a very informed person. I wish I were, though. I am interested in what happens in the world. Admittedly, however, I have just been too lazy to sift through all the "entertainment news" to get to real news.
 Bahamut.Milamber
Serveur: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2010-11-14 04:38:26
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Dissonant said:
Where else?

srs, though, I honestly am not a very informed person. I wish I were, though. I am interested in what happens in the world. Admittedly, however, I have just been too lazy to sift through all the "entertainment news" to get to real news.

If wishes were ponies, we'd all be riding.

If I had to pick a place for getting news in the US, I'd have to go (sadly) with The Daily Show.
After that, CNN.
I would highly suggest not relying upon US news sources as sole sources for US news. There is something to be said for having people reporting on items from an outside viewpoint. BBC, as some have mentioned, is a good start.

I would also highly suggest turning off the damn TV, or at least turn it off of "news stations". You would be better off watching Buffy and taking 30 minutes to read news on a website/newspaper than having people yelling and screaming about it for 24 hours a day, regardless of which one you are watching.

Otherwise, some news sites I visit/read:
http://www.cphpost.dk/
http://www.dr.dk/
http://jp.dk/
http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/world.htm
http://slashdot.org

Luz
By Luz 2010-11-14 05:01:13
Link | Citer | R

Putting Rachel Maddow's name among a list of people with absolutely no journalistic integrity is going a bit far. Granted she almost exclusively targets Republicans on her show, almost everything she passes for news IS news. You can't say she hasn't taken shots at Obama (for example) though. She posts clips from her show on the site for it and she has attacked Obama on controversial topics such as DADT, go look it up if you want. You can watch her show and not hear blatantly untrue statements, one after another, passed as "fact". She does put her partisan perspective into context about those facts, but does not distort what is actually true.

Death panels, $200m a day trip to India, advocating propaganda against abortion providers with a well documented history of assassinations of abortion providers by extremists, showing signs of respect to foreign heads of state being signs of weakness are the hallmarks of Fox News anchors like O'Reily and Beck. Maddow is on MSNBC but she has integrity, most of what she says can be fact checked reliably with a simple Google search and some light reading on sites that are not blatantly partisan and cherry pick their facts to make it look like there's no good to come of something like health care reform.

Hell you can fact check some of what she says on sites that are government run. She herself regularly cites CBO reports on her show in regards to topics like little known tax cuts Obama has issued (because they didn't come in the form of a rebate check), or the cost of health care reform. The CBO reports for example are something that nobody can dispute on partisan grounds, you can disagree about whether projections will hold true as the projection extends further into the future because there are so many factors that can change, but you can't call the CBO partisan and expect to hold as much credibility on the subject at hand.

Her perspectives are partisan, and theres's nothing wrong with that. Some people like to read news with left and right perspectives. "Moderates" fear of not being seen as moderates sometimes hampers their ability to convey a story. Partisanship sometimes gets people interested, it gets people involved. Extreme partisanship is the problem, as they have a tendency to stretch or distort the truth. Really though it's insulting to put her on a list with (I make no apologies to Fox viewers in this thread for saying this) pieces of ***like Glenn Beck or O'Reily.

That being said, her show is the only show I watch on MSNBC. I watch nothing on Fox. I watch very specific CNN programs and am a fan of Anderson Cooper 360. I don't watch a lot of TV news.

*puts flame shield on*
 Leviathan.Dissonant
By Leviathan.Dissonant 2010-11-14 05:07:33
Link | Citer | R

You have to admit, The O'Reilly Factor is a pretty funny show, though.
Bahamut.Milamber said:
stuff
Thanks, that certainly helps in my quest to be informed! Gives me a bit of initiative. :) Also, I don't watch TV anyway. Not unless I'm manically depressed and want to turn my brain off without having to sleep!
 Ifrit.Elmodfz
Serveur: Ifrit
user: Elmodfz
By Ifrit.Elmodfz 2010-11-14 06:40:52
Link | Citer | R

I don't go out of my way to watch the News because 99% of the time its all doom and gloom over here.

I watch the news on BBC1 in the mornings because its the least distracting things when I'm getting ready for uni lol.

Also when I lived in London for a year, I used to read the Metro in the mornings and the evening standard...well on the way home lol.

Metro is great for quirky news stories as well as the usual gloom.
http://www.metro.co.uk/news/

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/news/

Other then that I either get links from friends, read the local paper if it has a good headline etc.

Asura.Eeek
Serveur: Asura
user: Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2010-11-14 13:33:00
Link | Citer | R

I usually avoid the local news unless there's severe weather about. Where I live, the local news meteorologists sprout massive *** and fap furiously every time any storm stronger than a mild thunderstorm rolls through the area. Aside from thorough weather reports, the local news is just lowbrow sensationalist *** delivered with a fraction of FOXNews' talent.

I might thumb through the local paper at work if something grabs my eye. It's higher quality than the local news stations, but that's not saying much.

For actual news, I follow the BBC, New York Times, Christian Science Monitor (don't let the name fool you, it's not a religiously-biased news source), and NPR (both website and radio).

While not an actual news source, Stewart and Colbert are outstanding current event and political satirists. I watch their shows on the Comedy Central website when I can.

EDIT: I don't watch the cable news stations at all. They're in the entertainment business and not the news business.