Questions About Ironclad Pulverizer

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Endgame » Abyssea » Questions about Ironclad Pulverizer
Questions about Ironclad Pulverizer
By Zupetals 2010-11-08 21:39:25
Link | Citer | R

Hello all. This is my first time posting in FFXIAh, so please bear with me. My linkshell collected the pop items for Ironclad Pulverizer last week, and we attempted to fight him today when we had more people from our alliance available. We pulled him very easily to the colibri's and kited him as we have done with all the other Ironclad's. We had no problem's for the most part, and took him down quickly to about 13-15%. At this point, he shot off his head, and we straight fought his head. Now, here is where we had a problem. Every time we got his head down to a low hp, it returned to it's body, which we expected, but every time his head returned, his body recovered to anywhere between 18-20+%, and every time we got his body back down to near 10% HP, his head shot off again. This continued over and over for at least 10 times, and eventually it raged. At this point we decided to call it because a few people were running out of time. Is anyone else seeing this type of behavior, or are we doing something wrong? Now I know that this NM is bugged as far it's head despawning and wasting pop-items, but this was crazy because it seemed like it would never die. Please Help!!

Other details I didn't mention:

1) We failed to proc a red !! - but is this necessary to beat him or just to have the Atma drop. We will be working on this again.
2) We had a few SCH/BLM's casting nukes, but I don't believe we had any particular spells being cast.

Thank you all for all your help in advance.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Serveur: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-11-08 21:42:32
Link | Citer | R

It kept going back to head form because you were killing too slow during that phase. Red !! is only needed for atma.
 Leviathan.Niniann
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-11-08 22:06:36
Link | Citer | R

What Night said, but in addition to that you'll probably want to proc Red !!.

Seems you can't Stun the mob to give time to WS, it causes it to not work for whatever reason. Not 100% sure on this, but fairly sure.

Can't WS during Melee swings (Iron Giants only), TP moves or Spell-casting. So pretty much you have to wait for it to be done swinging, then WS. Also on the Pulverizer, you can't proc !! during head form.

Also make sure you're using the right set of WSes, I've seen a lot of people not using the right ones.
By Shiroineko 2010-11-08 22:22:53
Link | Citer | R

Yar what they said. To put it in simpler terms

Do not WS while it's using TP move
Do not WS during it's casting
Do not WS while it is doing melee attacks (iron giants only - the attacks count as TP moves)
Do not WS if the creature is stunned while performing one of the above. The game still counts it as if they continued the action uninterrupted.

This is the general for ANY !! proc, not just red. #3 does not apply to any mob not an iron giant :)

but yea, only fought him once, you have to zerg like 20% and under. if it manages to pop off his head, defeat it and zerg again. it's the only way to beat it :/

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Draylo
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-11-08 22:47:52
Link | Citer | R

Do not pass go and collect 200
[+]
By Gemah 2010-11-08 23:15:47
Link | Citer | R

Yeah. Just have everyone go all out when its head connects back to its body. Other than that, make sure you do proc a red !! because it would be a waste of time not to do so.
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-11-08 23:47:34
Link | Citer | R

Shiroineko said:
Do not WS if the creature is stunned while performing one of the above. The game still counts it as if they continued the action uninterrupted.

Even if you get a clean stun, IE after it swings and isn't doing anything, seems it still doesn't work.
 Remora.Laphine
Serveur: Remora
By Remora.Laphine 2010-11-09 01:05:05
Link | Citer | R

What i think is the best way to proc red for any nm: kite. If a target is far enough, the nm won't try anything but chase his target. This is the best opportunity for a stun followed by ws. So just keep the ppl that will try red !! chasing the kited nm and ready to ws when they see the stun animation or w/e.

edit:Odd that you say that this doesn't work Ninian. Did you guys kite it? I was actually able to get razed ruins with a pick up group with this method.
 Leviathan.Draylo
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-11-09 01:35:45
Link | Citer | R

Kiting or stunning ? I've tried stunning for RR, didn't really work and he just built immunity at one point. Not exactly hard to time ws either though, so its not really needed.
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-11-09 03:15:30
Link | Citer | R

We kited it, and stunned AFTER a TP move/or melee swing, cycled through all the Atma WSes properly and had two fights that didn't proc. Pretty sure it was the stun.

That or our luck is balls.
 Remora.Laphine
By Remora.Laphine 2010-11-09 08:20:05
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Draylo said:
Kiting or stunning ? I've tried stunning for RR, didn't really work and he just built immunity at one point. Not exactly hard to time ws either though, so its not really needed.

Easy to time ws with a pick up group? lol

I meant both kiting and stunning. As i said, any mob will go idle to chase a target too far from it. If you got ppl to ws chasing the nm (who are chasing this target), and you stun, that's a clear ws right there. Well, theorically at least. Maybe we got exceptionally lucky that day lol, as it wouldn't be impossible that the single ws that procd red went after stun weared or something. But it did felt like this strat was working.
 Cerberus.Superman
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Superman
By Cerberus.Superman 2010-11-09 09:31:00
Link | Citer | R

well be lucky we got the glitched ironclad after the 2nd head pop because we were trying to get unweaken where the first head kill alot of people before we got it. that when his head shot off it never came back. we proced red and blue lights. we got procks by just kiting it around when he came back around camp we had the person read that was going to do the rigger ws ready to go when he ran by.
By dianara 2010-11-09 09:44:56
Link | Citer | R

I would also guess your problem is because your killing it too slowly.

Perhaps your problem is kiting/nuking it.
My group killed it with only 2 melee DDs and no ranged dmg. We straight tanked it, and overall the fight took maybe 15mins, though we managed to stagger it early on during the pull by having people stand in its path and WS as it walked by while it wasnt making any attempt to attack (our brd got it with a staff ws i think).

We kited it for like 30s total the 1 time it landed the weakness WS.
 Shiva.Havian
Serveur: Shiva
user: havian
By Shiva.Havian 2010-11-09 10:03:31
Link | Citer | R

Samething happened to my ls a few nights ago sadly. Didn't get a trigger and it went in and out if head form at least 6 times only to rage and kill us all and eventually everyone timed out. So I know for sure we killed to slow but my question is what mobs did u guys build tp on? Birds or bats? We tried birds but seemed to have trouble controlling them for reasons I don't understand. I was on blm at the time only to see birds raping everyone around... Sad day. What's the suggested number of blm/sch to have?
 Remora.Laphine
By Remora.Laphine 2010-11-09 10:08:31
Link | Citer | R

dianara said:
though we managed to stagger it early on during the pull by having people stand in its path and WS as it walked by while it wasnt making any attempt to attack (our brd got it with a staff ws i think).

This is another possibility i thought of as well. People still need some experience to time it right though. I guess at least an initial phase based on trial and error, cause different mov speeds means different timings.

Anyway, both stun or ws as walking by are favored by a distant kiter ~