Looks like any discussion on any other forum to me :P
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Serveur: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-07-13 13:17:09
Link | Citer | R

I use Saber Dance and Haste Samba pretty much as often as I can if I'm /NIN. We have an 80% evade rate. I generally get by going Ni to Ni and heal myself once every 5 minutes.

Try it and see how frequently you actually have to Waltz yourself, and if you're really scared you can make a Cancel spellcast rule that drops Saber Dance when you try to Waltz.
 Leviathan.Krush
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Doc2love
By Leviathan.Krush 2011-07-13 13:51:44
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Asymptotic said:
Ramuh.Krizz said:
/sigh

Looks like any discussion on any other forum to me :P

Yeah that's the problem.
By Yuriki 2011-07-14 11:12:43
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Alkalinejoe said:
Quetzalcoatl.Urat said:
Leviathan.Alkalinejoe said:

Not saying you should fulltime Saber Dance, yet on most NMs with a healer I can get away with it easily, but fulltiming Fan Dance is honestly really only required on certain NMs (the type you described above), which there are only a handful in the game. So unless you're only fighting those mobs ever on DNC, saying you fulltime FD 95% of the time is just stupid since you lose out on 10% haste from Samba which is pretty significant.

There's a huge difference between getting away with using saber dance and whether or not you actually should have used it.

YEs you can use it every now and then and not die instantly.

Was the risk of omg can't heal myself there though? Yes it was, therefor you should really avoid getting cocky and taking those kind of risks. Unless you're soloing and you dying doesnt slow down or hamper anyone else.

Otherwise it's a little rude to other people in your group when you get cocky, take down your -PDT to get better damage, and end up killing yourself due to a stray AoE, petrify, paralyze, whatever, and then everyone has to stop their run and their game to let you rest up and get back in.

Thus, 90% of the time you should use fan dance. Do you have to? No, but it's a smart idea to keep it up.

lol, you act like DNCs are the only tanks in the game by that logic. MNK/WAR/NIN/THF/BLU all tank competitively without relying on fulltiming a -90% PDT JA or curing themselves. If a NIN/WAR can tank effectively in a party situation without the former 2 abilities, why exactly does DNC need to consistently need to use them? I'm not saying DNCs shouldn't heal themselves ever, but Waltzes shouldn't be spammed when you have a healer standing by. I think you are having issues with your healers if you are relying so much on your waltzes.

I main tank just about everything with my DNC, and we almost always have a WHM with us (ls events ftw). SD is on 90% of the time whilst fighting NM. If I NEED to be using curing/healing waltz (such as on a move that does a lot of magical dmg plus resets hate, or multiple status ailment moves) then I won't use SD but probably won't use FD either. FD while in a party of good players has very situational use. Really only use it on: moves that would outright kill me w/o it or if the move deals a ton of phys dmg, wipes shadows, and has a hate reset, gathering mobs for a cleave-type party, and sometimes with animated flourish. It definitely has more use while soloing/low manning w/o a dedicated healer, though.
By Burkey 2011-07-15 11:16:26
Link | Citer | R

this guide is pretty long but i just had a question about self-sc on dnc:

as dnc/nin you dont get sekkanoki, but capped merits in rev flourish alone + some SB or +2 hands maybe should get you back to 100% easily to close. im only 87 so i dont have striking flourish, but this is my combination when both NFR (5/5) and climatic flourish timers are up:

use steps until 5 finishing moves then..
climactic flourish+rudras storm -> NFR+rev flourish -> evis

i dont have +2 body and im still missing some gear but at least with that combo i can close darkness, and when climatic flourish and NFR timers are down, i just pyrrhic kleos -> rev flourish -> evis

with dnc/sam id assume you could do this as well, but with sekkanoki timer up you wouldnt have to NFR+rev flourish, and ive heard striking>>>>climactic for rudras at least, so with or without /sam would this be good for 89?:

use steps until 5 finishing moves then..
striking flourish+rudras storm -> step+rev flourish -> evis

i still need some things to add some dmg to my ws, most specifically rudras so i could actually use that instead of pyrrhic kleos for the sc. i know i didnt really organize all my thoughts here but from what ive posted does this look good to all you dancers? any constructive criticism would be appreciated
 Carbuncle.Asymptotic
Serveur: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2011-07-15 14:44:25
Link | Citer | R

Climactic pretty much trumps Striking due to its 100% crit rate, 20% free damage boost (w/ +2 head), and ability to make both WS in a solo skillchain crit. As such you can do:

Climactic ---> Box Step ---> Rudra ---> NFR ---> Reverse ---> Rudra

for Darkness, with crits on both.
 Lakshmi.Sirafiinikkusu
By Lakshmi.Sirafiinikkusu 2011-07-15 14:52:04
Link | Citer | R

striking falls under flourish III with climactic, so if you use one, you cant use the other until the timer is up.

rudra is far more powerful than evis, so as a dnc/nin|war you would want to reverse that into evis -> rudra, if your are not in a party that has an additional damage dealer that cannot create a 2nd darkness after your skillchain i suggest doing rudra -> rudra since the climactic flourish caries into both weapon skills.

as for NFR i suggest getting atleast lvl 3 NFR (personally i still use 5 for my own situational reasons)

as asymptotic said, striking is pretty as useful as desperate flourish at this point with the change to climactic flourish, i wouldnt even have it macro'd anymore.
 Carbuncle.Asymptotic
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2011-07-15 14:53:08
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Sirafiinikkusu said:

as asymptotic said, striking is pretty as useful as desperate flourish

Sometimes you need to GTFO!!
I'd say desperate is more useful XD
 Lakshmi.Sirafiinikkusu
By Lakshmi.Sirafiinikkusu 2011-07-15 15:33:15
Link | Citer | R

HUSH YOU

also i think rudra over writes desperate DONT QUOTE ME ON THAT THOUGH!
By Burkey 2011-07-16 13:40:40
Link | Citer | R

thanks for the tips guys :) havent had a chance to rework these on my dnc but will do asap. rudras->rudras sounds sexy, too
 Cerberus.Vaness
Serveur: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Vaness 2011-07-22 16:32:34
Link | Citer | R

So now that I've done pimping the Jobs that I ABSOLUTLY need for abyssea, I decided to pimp the love of my FFXI career, My DNC.

I read the the entire Guide but I am still a bit confused so I am asking help towards the DNC lovers.

Heres my sets:

My TP set (considering no haste/march because I usually are always solo)

The few only major changes I see that I need there is my lack of charis tiara +2, I don't have dusk +1 but I have ocelot gloves.Not very sure how the set bonus works so I figured you have to wear the most +2 in your TP set in order to have it procc.Plz say if I am wrong D:

What that have been bothering me is the choice of daggers.I currently have auric dagger, Twilight knifeand phurba.Currently have Twashtar started but I was looking forward magian trial daggers.Wich is the best for WS wise, Dex, str/attack or ws damage + fusetto?Also does fusetto work off hand? Always wondered.

My WS set (evisceration)

Okay, so here some things I know already: I need aias bonnet and love torque very badly.
What option do I have for neck/waist?I don't much have access to love torque atm and I don't have soil gorget.I guess I need to work on a soil gorget and switch the belt for a cuchulain belt (wich seems impossible to get on my server >.<).Is there any other options that I am missing?

For the pants: I've been using matre bragezenn because I though it was DEX > anything, is tumbler better?

For the earring: Same as pants though Dex > anything, so I guess I should be switching it for a centaurus earring? I can get Aesir but it seems a bit tricky to get ppl to come help me ;p

Last question
Would spellcast be better then windower macros?I am a huge fan of spellcast for mage's jobs but I don't seem to be talented to set it up for a melee job.

Thank you for consideration
a lost Dancer....Vaness
xxx
 Quetzalcoatl.Dova
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: dova
By Quetzalcoatl.Dova 2011-07-22 16:45:43
Link | Citer | R

On another note for anyone who uses spellcast, Is there a way when you clim flourish that the first rudra can wear +2 head and the RF rudra can wear Aias? All i can think of is a ghetto if tp >200 use +2 hat otherwise use Aias. I been meaning to ask this for a while but havent been on dnc much

*editted for below post
 Bahamut.Cuelebra
Serveur: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Cuelebra 2011-07-22 16:46:21
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Vaness said:

yah ur tp set u cant really do much until u get charis tiara+2.

as far as Evis WS set.
1) DNC cant equip Centaurus Earring sadly. So Pixie or Aesir. (It depends)
2) Love torque or gorget for neck will be ur best bets but if AH is ur only route at moment here are some quick recommendations

Dancer doesnt have an acc issue. i dont think any job does with capped skills and RR in abyssea. Spike necklace will at least contribute to WS dmg vs that acc neck piece. That jupiters ring is the one with +6 attack u can get it easily from the quest in Abyss-Attowah

As far as Matre vs Tumbler it depends. If ur attack is capped against the mob etc. i carry both around. On lower end mobs use matre on higher end stuff use tumbler.
 Fenrir.Niniann
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Ninian
By Fenrir.Niniann 2011-07-22 17:10:16
Link | Citer | R

Your TP set is fine, as Dova said you can't do much until you get Charis+2 head. Then you'd switch hands for Ocelot or Dusk+1 since the set bonus really isn't worth it.

As for TP, Cuelebra's set is a good model. I'd use rancor collar over Spike necklace if you can get a hold of one. And Cuch belt if you can get one. Then obviously bonnet when you get that too.

For weapons I'd stick with Phurba/Twilight until you get something better.
 Bahamut.Cuelebra
By Bahamut.Cuelebra 2011-07-22 17:16:11
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Niniann said:
Your TP set is fine, as Dova said you can't do much until you get Charis+2 head. Then you'd switch hands for Ocelot or Dusk+1 since the set bonus really isn't worth it.

As for TP, Cuelebra's set is a good model. I'd use rancor collar over Spike necklace if you can get a hold of one. And Cuch belt if you can get one. Then obviously bonnet when you get that too.

For weapons I'd stick with Phurba/Twilight until you get something better.

i thought about Rancor Collar. But in abyssea with RR, GH, AoA. isnt Rancor collar a lil over kill on crit hit rate. i know its not near cap but its pretty high up there. Yah i was gonna recommend Cuch Belt as better but they said "wich seems impossible to get on my server >.<" lol.
 Fenrir.Niniann
By Fenrir.Niniann 2011-07-22 17:27:43
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Cuelebra said:
i thought about Rancor Collar. But in abyssea with RR, GH, AoA. isnt Rancor collar a lil over kill on crit hit rate. i know its not near cap but its pretty high up there. Yah i was gonna recommend Cuch Belt as better but they said "wich seems impossible to get on my server >.<" lol.

Pretty sure Rancor Collar is best, I'll double check with Nightfyre.
 Ifrit.Jynxy
Serveur: Ifrit
user: Jynxy
By Ifrit.Jynxy 2011-07-22 17:29:16
Link | Citer | R

I got to like page 4 but i got sick of reading the word "optimal".

Just wanna say i'm no dnc and never will be but i think this was a really well presented guide and the fact that you're open to criticsm and suggestions; don't just shoot people down who have something to say is really good.

Quality stuff.
 Fenrir.Niniann
By Fenrir.Niniann 2011-07-22 17:36:35
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Jynxy said:

Just wanna say i'm no dnc and never will be but i think this was a really well presented guide and the fact that you're open to criticsm and suggestions; don't just shoot people down who have something to say is really good.

Quality stuff.

Thanks~ ^^

I'm always open to suggestions--I'm not perfect after all~

One of my main issues is I haven't been keeping up with current events because I've kind-of quit. So if anyone notices things, it's much appreciated.
 Bismarck.Faelar
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Faelar
By Bismarck.Faelar 2011-07-22 17:52:01
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Vaness said:
Last question Would spellcast be better then windower macros?I am a huge fan of spellcast for mage's jobs but I don't seem to be talented to set it up for a melee job. Thank you for consideration a lost Dancer....Vaness xxx

If you'd like I can put together a SpellCast for you.
 Carbuncle.Asymptotic
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2011-07-22 17:57:27
Link | Citer | R

You still list Feather Step as light-elemental magic, which I'm pretty sure isn't the case.

Also, I think it would be a good idea to mention that it may not be worth it to carry around step accuracy gear, since you should be capping your melee accuracy anyway (and step accuracy, as a result), and Presto gives such a large (I think Byrth tested and estimated it to be around+70 or something ridiculous) accuracy boost.

It's already (nearly?) impossible to carry around all of DNC's optimal gearsets, so any fat that can be trimmed is a blessing.
 Fenrir.Niniann
By Fenrir.Niniann 2011-07-22 17:58:35
Link | Citer | R

You still list Feather Step as light-elemental magic, which I'm pretty sure isn't the case.

Also, I think it would be a good idea to mention that it may not be worth it to carry around step accuracy gear, since you should be capping your melee accuracy anyway (and step accuracy, as a result), and Presto gives such a large (I think Byrth tested and estimated it to be around+70 or something ridiculous) accuracy boost.

It's already (nearly?) impossible to carry around all of DNC's optimal gearsets, so any fat that can be trimmed is a blessing.

Yeah, I'll fix that. I already talked about the step accuracy I think, I'll double check.
 Cerberus.Vaness
By Cerberus.Vaness 2011-07-22 17:59:12
Link | Citer | R

I just got agaseya collar while trying to change T2 > T3 for tiara +2 (currently 3/6 cards D:), I guess it's better then the ziel charm for WS until I finish soil gorget?
Tyvnm for all the awesome answers and lol, I realised DNC cant equip centaurus sadly ;_;
 Cerberus.Vaness
By Cerberus.Vaness 2011-07-22 18:02:05
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Faelar said:
Cerberus.Vaness said:
Last question Would spellcast be better then windower macros?I am a huge fan of spellcast for mage's jobs but I don't seem to be talented to set it up for a melee job. Thank you for consideration a lost Dancer....Vaness xxx

Oh that would be great ;o Not very sure how spellcast wotk with melee jobs D:
 Bahamut.Cuelebra
By Bahamut.Cuelebra 2011-07-22 18:02:36
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Niniann said:
Ifrit.Jynxy said:

Quality stuff.

Thanks~ ^^

I'm always open to suggestions--I'm not perfect after all~

One of my main issues is I haven't been keeping up with current events because I've kind-of quit. So if anyone notices things, it's much appreciated.

Same here ive been on a 3 month hiatus. im VERY tempted to come back i miss my NIN and DNC <3
 Bismarck.Faelar
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Faelar
By Bismarck.Faelar 2011-07-22 18:03:36
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Vaness said:
Bismarck.Faelar said:
Cerberus.Vaness said:
Oh that would be great ;o Not very sure how spellcast wotk with melee jobs D:

PM me your itemsets and I'll put it together.

It works the exact same way for melee as it does for mages. You define your sets and when it'll equip them ^^
 Carbuncle.Asymptotic
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2011-07-22 18:04:44
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Niniann said:

Yeah, I'll fix that. I already talked about the step accuracy I think, I'll double check.

I think Byrth estimated in testing that wearing all +step acc gear is +20 acc, which you can probably make up just with stuff you'd already have in your tp set/ws set/vf set. Also, steps have inherent accuracy enhancements, apparently.

Edit: found the link to Byrth's step tests.
 Fenrir.Niniann
By Fenrir.Niniann 2011-07-22 18:08:12
Link | Citer | R

I think Byrth estimated in testing that wearing all +step acc gear is +20 acc, which you can probably make up just with stuff you'd already have in your tp set/ws set/vf set. Also, steps have inherent accuracy enhancements, apparently.

Edit: found the link to Byrth's step tests.

Thanks ;o

Bahamut.Cuelebra said:
Same here ive been on a 3 month hiatus. im VERY tempted to come back i miss my NIN and DNC <3

It's a tarp! D:

Edit: BTW Rancor collar is better.
 Carbuncle.Asymptotic
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2011-07-22 18:21:06
Link | Citer | R

It's only a matter of time before SE releases some EG content full of tonberries just to troll people using Rancor Collar.
 Fenrir.Niniann
By Fenrir.Niniann 2011-07-22 18:22:19
Link | Citer | R

It's only a matter of time before SE releases some EG content full of tonberries just to troll people using Rancor Collar.

That would be awful! D:
First Page 2 3 ... 13 14 15 ... 17 18 19