Will PLD Be Useful Again At Lvl 99?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Will PLD be useful again at lvl 99?
Will PLD be useful again at lvl 99?
First Page 2 3 ... 20 21 22 ... 24 25 26
 Carbuncle.Kurosawa
Serveur: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Kurosawa
By Carbuncle.Kurosawa 2010-11-26 17:36:04
Link | Citer | R

All I can say is that it's disgusting to me what SE has allowed PLD to become and if PLD isn't massively upgraded, then I am gone. The job needs a total rebuild, an even stronger rebuild than the Seigan/Hasso upgrades SAM got.

As it stands right now PLD is totally broken and useless to many players, and as a career PLD it's actually depressing to play the job, and therefore the game at this point.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Serveur: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-11-26 17:52:37
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Kurosawa said:
All I can say is that it's disgusting to me what SE has allowed PLD to become and if PLD isn't massively upgraded, then I am gone.

It's not a *** career, just level another job if one becomes obsolete. Ridiculous logic
[+]
 Fenrir.Mankey
Serveur: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Mankey 2010-11-26 17:57:15
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Carbuncle.Kurosawa said:
All I can say is that it's disgusting to me what SE has allowed PLD to become and if PLD isn't massively upgraded, then I am gone.

It's not a *** career, just level another job if one becomes obsolete. Ridiculous logic
Aegis Cat has spoken
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
Serveur: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2010-11-26 17:59:40
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Carbuncle.Kurosawa said:

clearly people don't enjoy jobs they level
By Bragi 2010-11-26 18:28:17
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Bojack said:
Hades.Bragi said:
Paladin is very useful of course, as long as you know what you are doing. People talking about PLD being useless are the same self-proclaimed experts, telling people the same nonsense of how important'Cure Potency/Mind' for White Mages or 'Haste' for melees is. Yes Paladin is a great and very useful job and will always be...
Wait...Cure Potency/Mind for WHMs, and Haste for melees is useless? lol.

Did I say its useless? I said it's not as important as many people believe it is.

Well it's possibly true: pld isn't that useful, because people no longer low-man stuff. (1-3 people is low-man imo.)
people consider killing not really tough mobs in huge alliances as the great challange now.
one year ago you could see threads, about how to equip so you can deal most damage in a Colibri-Party [really challenging mobs those days weren't they?].
Sure a paladin is no DD, so they again were not that useful in those partys again.
But it's not easy if not impossible to replace a PLD as tank in really tough and challenging low-man fights.

Ramuh.Lorzy
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2010-11-26 18:31:31
Link | Citer | R

Bragi said:
Bahamut.Bojack said:
Hades.Bragi said:
Paladin is very useful of course, as long as you know what you are doing. People talking about PLD being useless are the same self-proclaimed experts, telling people the same nonsense of how important'Cure Potency/Mind' for White Mages or 'Haste' for melees is. Yes Paladin is a great and very useful job and will always be...

Did I say its useless? I said it's not as important as many people believe it is.

Well it's possibly true: pld isn't that useful, because people no longer low-man stuff. (1-3 people is low-man imo.)
people consider killing not really tough mobs in huge alliances as the great challange now.
one year ago you could see threads, about how to equip so you can deal most damage in a Colibri-Party [really challenging mobs those days weren't they?].
Sure a paladin is no DD, so they again were not that useful in those partys again.
But it's not easy if not impossible to replace a PLD as tank in really tough and challenging low-man fights.

rofl
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-11-26 18:32:09
Link | Citer | R

Bragi said:

Red Mage. That was easy.
[+]
 Fenrir.Snick
user: Snick
By Fenrir.Snick 2010-11-26 18:42:07
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Bragi said:

Red Mage. That was easy.
Or MNK

Or WAR

Or THF

Or DRK(lol)

Or SAM

Or NIN

Or BLU

Or DNC

*** even PUP for Christs sake.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-11-26 19:08:12
Link | Citer | R

Bragi said:
Bahamut.Bojack said:
Hades.Bragi said:

lol, this is gold
 Odin.Skeero
Serveur: Odin
By Odin.Skeero 2010-11-26 19:17:53
Link | Citer | R

No plds will never be useful again. End thread

Edit: well i guess they are useful for holding mobs while you proc blue/yellow/red. Since they dont do ***for dmg and can take a few hits. But once that happends tell them to gtfo and let some real dd/tanks on it
[+]
 Carbuncle.Kurosawa
By Carbuncle.Kurosawa 2010-11-26 20:34:36
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Carbuncle.Kurosawa said:

I'd rather play the job I like best instead of jumping on the RDM wagon. I have other jobs leveled, I never mind playing other jobs from time to time, but I'd rather be PLD. I think it's pretty bad game design to have a tanking job and for it to be useless. I don't blame the playerbase for using different jobs in what should be PLDs role, I blame SE for not designing the game and the jobs so that it is useless.
 Fenrir.Snick
By Fenrir.Snick 2010-11-26 20:37:42
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Kurosawa said:
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Carbuncle.Kurosawa said:

I'd rather play the job I like best instead of jumping on the RDM wagon.
Ok? And this topic isn't and never has been about what you want to play. It's a topic about efficiency.

You can say you love PLD as much as you want and you can talk about how useful it is amongst your group of friends, but don't pretend that it's significant~
 Carbuncle.Kurosawa
By Carbuncle.Kurosawa 2010-11-26 20:40:19
Link | Citer | R

Yes, and my point is I don't blame players for going with what is most efficient, I blame SE for making the job useless. So either SE improves the job, or I see no reason to continue playing. Why play something if it is no longer enjoyable?
 Fenrir.Snick
By Fenrir.Snick 2010-11-26 20:47:48
Link | Citer | R

That's really not my problem or my point at all...
 Fenrir.Mankey
By Fenrir.Mankey 2010-11-26 20:50:45
Link | Citer | R

If your version of fun is dealing no damage, having a junk shield and not being able to counter, having a limited MP source because of Atmas you are forced to pick to deal less dmg then a PUP, you either need to find a new form of fun, or are a Mormon... either way help is needed.
By Deadmaus 2010-11-26 20:56:41
Link | Citer | R

Considering the 'Reduces Enmity decrease when taking physical damage' it makes a big damn difference. I mean yeah you'll have to work to attain these types of equipment, but to say PLD is losing its uses is plain ignorant. Even on mobs where pet jobs seem to be more viable, having a stable tank while trying to trigger !! is always nice and stable, too.

2010 already, leave the idiotic threads in the past please.
[+]
 Cerberus.Deadmaus
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Danzo
By Cerberus.Deadmaus 2010-11-26 20:58:42
Link | Citer | R

Repost with char name incase some troll thinks I'm apart of some VanadielsFinest linkshell.
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Serveur: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-11-26 21:07:50
Link | Citer | R

Deadmaus said:
Considering the 'Reduces Enmity decrease when taking physical damage' it makes a big damn difference.

That implies the PLD is being hit in the first place.

Quote:
I mean yeah you'll have to work to attain these types of equipment, but to say PLD is losing its uses is plain ignorant. Even on mobs where pet jobs seem to be more viable, having a stable tank while trying to trigger !! is always nice and stable, too.

PLD isn't anywhere near the best tank at holding something unengaged, and if you're engaged... you should be using a DD that can proc red !!. A mob using TP isn't ideal to trigger !! on in any case.

Quote:

2010 is not a good year for PLD.

Quote:

PLD ... lowman? Why waste a slot on a tank that contributes little else and requires support (which is normally relatively lacking in lowman)?
 Carbuncle.Kurosawa
By Carbuncle.Kurosawa 2010-11-26 21:09:47
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Mankey said:
If your version of fun is dealing no damage, having a junk shield and not being able to counter, having a limited MP source because of Atmas you are forced to pick to deal less dmg then a PUP, you either need to find a new form of fun, or are a Mormon... either way help is needed.

My point is they need to improve the job. I'm not denying that as it stands it's lost most if not all of it's usefulness. It's that it needs to be fixed so it can be useful.
 Cerberus.Jogiyat
user: Jogikat
By Cerberus.Jogiyat 2010-11-26 21:16:17
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Kurosawa said:
Fenrir.Mankey said:

My point is they need to improve the job. I'm not denying that as it stands it's lost most if not all of it's usefulness. It's that it needs to be fixed so it can be useful.

I think you missed the point of this entire thread. You can improve PLD as much as u want, but in a Post Abyssea World, what can you possibly give it that would still make a PLD in essence a PLD without turning it into a DD job.. think about it. Your trying to fit the job to the content, when really its the content that needs to fit the job, and that isn't happening i'm afraid.
[+]
 Ramuh.Lorzy
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2010-11-26 21:20:09
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Raenryong said:

Quote:
I mean yeah you'll have to work to attain these types of equipment, but to say PLD is losing its uses is plain ignorant. Even on mobs where pet jobs seem to be more viable, having a stable tank while trying to trigger !! is always nice and stable, too.

PLD isn't anywhere near the best tank at holding something unengaged, and if you're engaged... you should be using a DD that can proc red !!. A mob using TP isn't ideal to trigger !! on in any case.

serious question, what do you use for holding unengaged?
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-11-26 21:21:27
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Kurosawa said:

I'd rather play the job I like best instead of jumping on the RDM wagon.

Okay?

I'll level RNG cause it's awesome.
SE: sup, nerf
RNGs: /ragequi-oh wai I'll level something else.

Feel free to play what you want to play, but QQ cause a job got nerfed is old news.

Ramuh.Lorzy said:

RDMs
[+]
 Carbuncle.Kurosawa
By Carbuncle.Kurosawa 2010-11-26 21:21:42
Link | Citer | R

It is looking more and more that way, sadly. And if so then for me the choice will be to move on. As things stand right now, they might as well delete the job from the game. And if it takes improving PLD damage to make it a better tank, then I say do it.

Of course you could say that about all but 5-6 jobs in the game, which is just horrid game design and balance.
 Cerberus.Jogiyat
By Cerberus.Jogiyat 2010-11-26 21:22:31
Link | Citer | R

Deadmaus said:
Considering the 'Reduces Enmity decrease when taking physical damage' it makes a big damn difference. I mean yeah you'll have to work to attain these types of equipment, but to say PLD is losing its uses is plain ignorant. Even on mobs where pet jobs seem to be more viable, having a stable tank while trying to trigger !! is always nice and stable, too.

Sadly i'm afraid you need to lay the pieces out and really analyze the situation. Name 1 real in game example where a PLD is useful and no other job can replace that role and do it better. Even worst in all this logic is imagine how ***up easy it is @ 85 to do 99% of the game, now take it to level 90 next week....
 Carbuncle.Kurosawa
By Carbuncle.Kurosawa 2010-11-26 21:33:18
Link | Citer | R

Exactly. As it stands right now the job is worthless, and it's only going to get worse. This is why the job needs to be radically redesigned by SE.
 Gilgamesh.Perfectangel
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: obliske
By Gilgamesh.Perfectangel 2010-11-26 21:43:33
Link | Citer | R

since everything is either kite/nuked or killed fast theres no need for pld unless your trying to trigger the "!!", pld will have its uses but i doubt they will keep hate since everyone has RR now
 Cerberus.Jogiyat
By Cerberus.Jogiyat 2010-11-26 21:44:13
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Kurosawa said:
Exactly. As it stands right now the job is worthless, and it's only going to get worse. This is why the job needs to be radically redesigned by SE.

Heh.. but no.. it shouldn't be radically redesigned... because then it wouldn't be a PLD anymore would it? Even if you gave PLD an emnity tool that gives it ZOMG hate for the rest for the fight... would it change anything? Do I suddenly say.. ok i'm gonna go ahead and replace my DD with PLD so I can.. umm take twice as long to kill something that is already pretty easy to kill?

There's really only two ways out of this mess, PLD becomes an instant hardcore DD job (not gonna happen), or SE introduces content specifically designed around the role of a PLD.
 Carbuncle.Kurosawa
By Carbuncle.Kurosawa 2010-11-26 21:49:43
Link | Citer | R

Maybe so, but that is a lot of hoops to jump through. Chances are the job will never be fixed like over 50% of the other jobs.

20 jobs and 6-8 needed ones. And people think XIV is fail.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-11-26 21:53:13
Link | Citer | R

Deadmaus said:
Considering the 'Reduces Enmity decrease when taking physical damage' it makes a big damn difference.
Maybe for a PLD, but for other tanks who can generate CE effectively it's pretty trivial since you'll recap within seconds.

Ramuh.Lorzy said:
We use RDM or BLU, could use DNC if you want to, probably other jobs too. Not like you need high levels of hate to tank over DDs that TP on other mobs and just pop elemental WS on the NM... And all of those jobs contribute more to a fight than a PLD would.
First Page 2 3 ... 20 21 22 ... 24 25 26