Will PLD Be Useful Again At Lvl 99?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Will PLD be useful again at lvl 99?
Will PLD be useful again at lvl 99?
First Page 2 3 ... 18 19 20 ... 24 25 26
By Serj 2010-11-06 17:13:51
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Marlboroman said:
i find my pld while cant always maintain hate 100% of the fight can survive while doin 30ish% dmg to mobs over war and sams with upgraded emperyean weapons. Is pld the fastest and easiest job to use probably not but is the most reliable imo.

Are you high?
[+]
By Serj 2010-11-06 17:16:40
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Fredjan said:
Serj said:

but Caladbolg is the ***lol. Almace would have to be extremely good to compare to the damage Calad can put out.
Somehow your first comment made me think you were one of the "LOLPLD" bandwagon, but I guess there was a misunderstanding.
Both are pretty epic, but Almace(Badelaire +1)/Joyeuse can put do some punishing numbers with ZORRO WS and VV/RR

Well, you'd have to compare those to having a 6/7 hit build with Calad and spamming Torecleaver with the same atmas. Would also open up using /sam.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like paladin. But I wouldn't be surprised that they can DD a lot better than they used to. Same goes for nin~
 Odin.Sheelay
Serveur: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2010-11-07 03:42:18
Link | Citer | R

A Pld/Sam would be a fun thing to see, and with the STP trait it wouldn't be hard for it to at least 7hit a Caladbolg.
Not counting food, this would make a nice TP build.

With VV Atma a PLD could swap out some stp gear for better stuff.

And for WS something like this would probably turn out nice and effective.

Heck, even Shadow mantle on darksdays would find yet another use.

Now to get laughed at for thinking all this would be nice to see!
 Asura.Marlboroman
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Marlboroman 2010-11-07 06:39:05
Link | Citer | R

sorry i wrote that wrong not 30% over but deal 30% dmg to the same mob and im not talking xp mobs.
 Shiva.Darkshade
Serveur: Shiva
By Shiva.Darkshade 2010-11-07 06:57:11
Link | Citer | R

I'd love Flash II or any new enmity production tool. A higher damage cap on Atonement would be nice too.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2010-11-08 19:37:35
Link | Citer | R

For PLD to become the primary tank again, we'd need more than Flash II and a higher damage cap on Atonement. :\

Something like THF's Ambush, a job trait that increases enmity generation, damage mitigation and accuracy when facing the monster head-on would be kinda nice. Maybe allow us to have an increased hate cap if we're behind so that if we lose hate, we can get it back a bit easier.

A set of stance job abilities similar to hasso and seigan that increase our defensive traits or offensive traits.

Just ideas, but something needs to happen. It's only going to get worse for us on the way to 99 as DDs progress and we stagnate.
 Fenrir.Mankey
Serveur: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Mankey 2010-11-08 20:01:01
Link | Citer | R

moar VIT
[+]
 Odin.Sheelay
Serveur: Odin
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2010-11-08 20:17:22
Link | Citer | R

more CHR armor
[+]
 Fenrir.Mtmoogle
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Bogamoga
By Fenrir.Mtmoogle 2010-11-08 20:21:58
Link | Citer | R

MORE CHR = BETTER PROVOKES!
[+]
 Siren.Juilan
Serveur: Siren
user: Juilan
By Siren.Juilan 2010-11-18 07:35:30
Link | Citer | R

I've said for quite a while in my linkshell and many other places that the way you'd find pld work better is if they give them a way to top out hate... you'd want a pld in the alliance to tank the monster is the blm and dd can go all out without worrying about the amount hate they pull when the pld caps. here's to hoping pld gets a piece(s) of gear that make it so the lv of hate they can hold is higher then any other job can get in the alliance... at that point it would without an argument be the ideal tank job. the issue the job faces now is simply that the rest of the alliance have been buffed to the point they can cap hate as fast, or quicker then a pld could traditionally... in any fight
 Ifrit.Eikechi
Serveur: Ifrit
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-11-18 07:46:21
Link | Citer | R

plds needs another voke....but one that's enmity rivals that of sentinel that has the same cool down (but not necessarily shared) with voke if they go /war (which is more or less a dead art i know... pld/nin is nice for tanking)... thats what i think they need..some JA idc what it does..it can even be called provoke 2 lol.... but they need something like that, that has high enmity generation (or maybe even make it CA not VA)
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-11-18 08:01:35
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Eikechi said:
plds needs another voke....but one that's enmity rivals that of sentinel that has the same cool down (but not necessarily shared) with voke if they go /war (which is more or less a dead art i know... pld/nin is nice for tanking)... thats what i think they need..some JA idc what it does..it can even be called provoke 2 lol.... but they need something like that, that has high enmity generation (or maybe even make it CA not VA)

no, it doesn't

establishing enough enmity to reach cap quickly is not a problem

the problem is that once you cap

any major spike damage will still make you lose hate

so you are sitting there at enmity cap watching dd's trade hate

what would help is a higher cap for paladin
[+]
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-11-18 08:01:50
Link | Citer | R

That wouldn't come close to fixing PLD. More hate tools or not, enmity deteriorates at the same speed, and melee will be able to keep it hard capped through DoT alone. The whole enmity system needs to be revamped to fix PLD.
[+]
 Cerberus.Blazed
Serveur: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Blazed 2010-11-21 10:55:21
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
That wouldn't come close to fixing PLD. More hate tools or not, enmity deteriorates at the same speed, and melee will be able to keep it hard capped through DoT alone. The whole enmity system needs to be revamped to fix PLD.

Agreed.

PLD needs a complete revamp much like SAM enjoyed all those years ago.
Divine Emblem is a joke. PLD Afv3+2 is a SLIGHT upgrade from what PLD already had Pre-Abyssea.
less gear swapping is all PLD really got from these expansions. But that's not a problem anymore seeing as my PLD doesn't blink, because it never sees the outside of MH.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Khajit
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Khajit
By Quetzalcoatl.Khajit 2010-11-23 23:23:44
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Marlboroman said:
i find my pld while cant always maintain hate 100% of the fight can survive while doin 30ish% dmg to mobs over war and sams with upgraded emperyean weapons. Is pld the fastest and easiest job to use probably not but is the most reliable imo.
Are you one of those plds that clings onto the idea that your job as a tank is relevant by not allowing anyone else in the alliance to melee, only allow ws when they're for red and the occasional blue proc(tp must be gained from outside mobs)only allowing blm to nuke with t3 while forcing any nin to sj drk and melee to sj nin while having the main source of damage be blu/thf doing sata on you as if it means a ***for hate after hate is capped,and to top it off having at least 2~3 healers that you tell to curebomb you constantly?

If you really(everyone in general) want to force SE to update/upgrade pld(assuming they wont already) then stop trying to fit the square peg in a round hole and just let SE realize that pld as a tank job atm sucks quote possibly more than a pup DD tank.Less and less people playing pld will give SE incentive to make you want to play pld more/again.
The developers obviously like pld given how whenever pld becomes irrelevant compared to another job(like say nin or rdm) they nerf said job's emnity generation and buff pld.Bringing plds in when they arent needed( not that you cant run around and have fun) just prolongs things as SE sees people still pld tanking and thinks that everyone is fine with the way things are.
 Leviathan.Draylo
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-11-24 00:04:54
Link | Citer | R

Give PLD some hax abilities like Beatrix/Steiner and Orlandu type deal.
 Cerberus.Jogiyat
user: Jogikat
By Cerberus.Jogiyat 2010-11-26 07:26:24
Link | Citer | R

Just my take on things over the past few weeks. As our LS has completely moved away from any old content and exclusively does Abyssea & AV, we don't use paladins for anything anymore much to the despair of many career paladins in our shell.

If your emphasis is on speed (which makes sense considering the value of stones), efficiency, and item drops. Then its all about the MNK, BRD,WHM combination during Blunt time (blue!!). Add more jobs if u need gellow.

I really do empathize with you all though, in one/two updates, the paladin job has been made completely useless, and I'd be pissed if that happen to one of my key jobs.

Hades.Bragi
Serveur: Hades
user: Bragi
By Hades.Bragi 2010-11-26 08:36:08
Link | Citer | R

Paladin is very useful of course, as long as you know what you are doing.

People talking about PLD being useless are the same
self-proclaimed experts, telling people the same nonsense of how important'Cure Potency/Mind' for White Mages or 'Haste' for melees is.

Yes Paladin is a great and very useful job and will always be...

[+]
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-11-26 10:09:40
Link | Citer | R

Hades.Bragi said:

self-proclaimed experts, telling people the same nonsense of how important'Cure Potency/Mind' for White Mages or 'Haste' for melees is.

laffed

Quetzalcoatl.Chocobits said:

So let me pose this question: Is PLD useless outside of Abyssea? Yes, because we're level *** 85 and a BLM can tank anything PLD could at 75.

You're wrong too. Even at 75 other jobs made better tanks than PLD.
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Serveur: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-11-26 10:31:51
Link | Citer | R

Hades.Bragi said:

Clicked on profile page

No surprises

This isn't entirely as intended, but anyone find it somewhat amusing in an ironic way that some hardcore Paladin/Warriors clamoured to have bloodtanking made feasible again throughout the years, so SE did in Abyssea by giving your healers a much higher MP pool and you much higher HP. The result? Paladin becomes utterly obsolete.
[+]
 Bahamut.Bojack
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2010-11-26 10:41:01
Link | Citer | R

Hades.Bragi said:

Wait...Cure Potency/Mind for WHMs, and Haste for melees is useless? lol.
 Ragnarok.Harpunnik
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Harpunnik
By Ragnarok.Harpunnik 2010-11-26 10:42:37
Link | Citer | R

How about an atma with insane emnity?
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-11-26 10:42:53
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Bojack said:
Hades.Bragi said:

Wait...Cure Potency/Mind for WHMs, and Haste for melees is useless? lol.

This guy obviously know what he's talking about
[+]
 Bahamut.Bojack
By Bahamut.Bojack 2010-11-26 10:43:34
Link | Citer | R

Wasn't a Ninja tanking in that Heroes preview? :P
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-11-26 10:43:54
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Harpunnik said:

Still won't help
 Bahamut.Bojack
By Bahamut.Bojack 2010-11-26 10:44:49
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Harpunnik said:

Sure, that would let PLD get and maybe keep hate at the outset. But when SAMs and Wars are busting out 4-5k weapon skills there's no way a PLD will keep hate.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-11-26 10:45:28
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Bojack said:
Wasn't a Ninja tanking in that Heroes preview? :P

Yes, but Blade: Hi is really nice lol
 Bahamut.Bojack
By Bahamut.Bojack 2010-11-26 10:47:15
Link | Citer | R

Maybe an Atma that constantly drains 500 VE/CE (And gives it to the person using it) from everyone currently engaged on the same target as you in your party. Then maybe pld would have a chance lol.
 Ragnarok.Harpunnik
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Harpunnik
By Ragnarok.Harpunnik 2010-11-26 10:47:40
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Bojack said:
Ragnarok.Harpunnik said:
Sure, that would let PLD get and maybe keep hate at the outset. But when SAMs and Wars are busting out 4-5k weapon skills there's no way a PLD will keep hate.

I'm not so sure, i've done minikin monstrosity on my war and been able to avoid getting hate...imagine if you swung emn the other way.
First Page 2 3 ... 18 19 20 ... 24 25 26