Will PLD Be Useful Again At Lvl 99?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Will PLD be useful again at lvl 99?
Will PLD be useful again at lvl 99?
First Page 2 3 ... 12 13 14 ... 24 25 26
 Phoenix.Fredjan
Serveur: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2010-10-13 15:14:09
Link | Citer | R

Titan.Darkwizardzin said:
stuff
wtf, people give 2 sh*ts about cerberus and khim?
Titan.Bigpun said:
HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE aegis, SATTVA RING
I don't even....
 Phoenix.Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2010-10-13 15:17:58
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Zicdeh said:

...Yilbegan
...Orcus
...Warbler
SAM/WAR for Yilbegan
RDM/WAR for Orcus
RDM/NIN x2 for Warbler
 Diabolos.Piraal
Serveur: Diabolos
user: Piraal
By Diabolos.Piraal 2010-10-13 15:23:32
Link | Citer | R

would probably some fun fights there.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-13 15:25:36
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Fredjan said:
SAM/WAR for Yilbegan
Is he really that easy now?

Phoenix.Fredjan said:
wtf, people give 2 sh*ts about cerberus and khim?
Town gear is serious business!
 Phoenix.Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2010-10-13 15:28:17
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Phoenix.Fredjan said:
SAM/WAR for Yilbegan
Dunno, but iirc people did it at 75
 Diabolos.Piraal
By Diabolos.Piraal 2010-10-13 15:32:13
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Phoenix.Fredjan said:
SAM/WAR for Yilbegan

I'm assuming he's saying that mob can be tanked by sam, and with addle i'm sure a sam would take alot less damage then he otherwise would have before addle, but would a sam take less damage over the course of the fight then pld..... I think most people would say otherwise.

Same with the RDM/WAR for Orcus, don't think anyone was saying other jobs couldn't tank Orcus, I think the person he quoted was saying drk couldn't, but pld will take much less damage then rdm, and I think that goes w/o saying.
Serveur: Titan
user: batboy267
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2010-10-13 15:43:46
Link | Citer | R

This thread is still going on huh... Sigh why not just focus on seeing what pld can still do instead of labeling it a useless job?

I realy hate it when people form job prejudices in this game... all it does in the end is stop people who put effort in there favorite jobs from enjoying the game.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-13 15:43:53
Link | Citer | R

As long as you don't die and your healers can support the increased damage taken without running out of MP or taking hate, increasing damage taken isn't necessarily a bad thing if it also increases killspeed.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-13 15:44:46
Link | Citer | R

This thread is still going on huh... Sigh why not just focus on seeing what pld can still do instead of labeling it a useless job?

I realy hate it when people form job prejudices in this game... all it does in the end is stop people who put effort in there favorite jobs from enjoying the game.
I'm realistic about what any job can or can't do and I still enjoy all my jobs, what's your point?

Play what you want, just don't make it out to be something it's not.
 Asura.Aust
Serveur: Asura
user: Aust101
By Asura.Aust 2010-10-13 15:45:29
Link | Citer | R

Not many people seem to want to discus what i was looking for so I'll ask another question regarding the "popular subject" of the posts I've read in this forum.

This is a very noob/stupid question, but all you who tank (melée tanking) with a DD, I assume you come /NIN. Does the rest of your party/alli come /NIN also? My point being all DD's can (and should be) optimal Job/Sub's. Examples being /WAR/SAM for the best output. If a MNK/NIN is tanking, what keeps a MNK/WAR DD'ing, from pulling too much hate? Holding back. The point being, a PLD is important because of the fact if you put in a PLD in place of the MNK, he could come /war too, or more importantly a mage job, and everyone could do their own job to the best of their ability without worrying about pulling hate. Don't forget the PLD's ability to put up some decent DMG numbers with atonement.

Like I said, it's a pretty stupid point, and I do understand rid argument is very "pre-lvl cap increase"

I wouldn't mind seeing what has changed tho and why a DD makes for a better situation. Perhaps just
The lack of members now, most mobs are lowmanned and you don't just "throw in a PLD". It's that DD's get better buffs in abyss that lead to faster hate then a PLD can keep up with. Then this argument continues. It's obvious of this? And that's why I was asking about what people expect/and would like to see in the future.(99)

Please make your own post if you wanna talk
About stupid "useless jobs" lol

As for a debate going on earlier, I agree, marchX2 over ballad any time if that's your options for any tank.
 Fenrir.Snick
user: Snick
By Fenrir.Snick 2010-10-13 15:46:06
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

I'm realistic about what any job can or can't do and I still enjoy all my jobs, what's your point?

This. I make fun of Night all the time for playing BLU. He has DNC and RDM now so I actually let him lot stuff too.
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2010-10-13 15:48:58
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

My point is that this kind of thinking leads to job discrimination where people will point blank not allow some jobs to be used ever in any non-casual event (look at puppetmaster). This leads to people who can't use there favorite jobs because "everyone else" labels it as useless.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-13 15:49:13
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Aust said:
Not many people seem to want to discus what i was looking for so I'll ask another question regarding the "popular subject" of the posts I've read in this forum.

This is a very noob/stupid question, but all you who tank (melée tanking) with a DD, I assume you come /NIN. Does the rest of your party/alli come /NIN also? My point being all DD's can (and should be) optimal Job/Sub's. Examples being /WAR/SAM for the best output. If a MNK/NIN is tanking, what keeps a MNK/WAR DD'ing, from pulling too much hate? Holding back. The point being, a PLD is important because of the fact if you put in a PLD in place of the MNK, he could come /war too, or more importantly a mage job, and everyone could do their own job to the best of their ability without worrying about pulling hate. Don't forget the PLD's ability to put up some decent DMG numbers with atonement.

Like I said, it's a pretty stupid point, and I do understand rid argument is very "pre-lvl cap increase"

I wouldn't mind seeing what has changed tho and why a DD makes for a better situation. Perhaps just
The lack of members now, most mobs are lowmanned and you don't just "throw in a PLD". It's that DD's get better buffs in abyss that lead to faster hate then a PLD can keep up with. Then this argument continues. It's obvious of this? And that's why I was asking about what people expect/and would like to see in the future.(99)

Please make your own post if you wanna talk
About stupid "useless jobs" lol

As for a debate going on earlier, I agree, marchX2 over ballad any time if that's your options for any tank.
The problem is that your point is incorrect. Hate caps and DDs will cap hate very quickly. As a result, that MNK/WAR is going to be cotanking (or more likely main tanking) in short order, so they'd have to go /NIN anyway if they want to stay alive. At this point, you gain more by having the PLD change to a DD job and tanking anyway. A MNK/WAR or SAM/WAR who has to hold back will do less damage than a MNK/NIN or SAM/NIN who can play aggressively.

Also, most ***is done extremely lowman these days. If you don't have but one or two people engaged on the mob, you gain a lot by having them go as DD jobs rather than PLD.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-13 15:52:03
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

My point is that this kind of thinking leads to job discrimination where people will point blank not allow some jobs to be used ever in any non-casual event (look at puppetmaster). This leads to people who can't use there favorite jobs because "everyone else" labels it as useless.
Take it up with SE, not me; that's a mechanics and balance issue. If your goal is success and you have limited resources you optimize in order to succeed. If you run with a bodies shell this entire discussion has almost no bearing on you because you can take whatever and just throw people at it until it dies.
 Fenrir.Snick
By Fenrir.Snick 2010-10-13 15:52:29
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

I'd gladly accept a well geared PLD or PUP into my LS as long as they knew what they were doing and weren't so caught up in some ridiculous notion of job "pride" to realize their very obvious limitations.
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2010-10-13 15:53:01
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
I aggre with this... its just that job misconceptions are very common sadly.
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2010-10-13 16:02:58
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

Take it up with SE, not me; that's a mechanics and balance issue. If your goal is success and you have limited resources you optimize in order to succeed. If you run with a bodies shell this entire discussion has almost no bearing on you because you can take whatever and just throw people at it until it dies.
The thing is I don't think its just a balance issue anymore... I don't claim to be a pup master or anything but conpared to most of the jobs updates I've seen in the past year pup is one of the jobs that SE has given so much too... and yet I still see "lolpup" ><. For the record maybe im full of ****, maybe pup is still a "bad" job but I don't think that is the case. I think that the stereotype of puppetmaster has gotten so deep in the playerbase that no matter what SE does to fix the job at this point the playerbase as a whole will reject it... and that kind of sucks....
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-13 16:04:28
Link | Citer | R

How other people view a job versus how the job actually performs is not my problem.
[+]
 Fenrir.Mtmoogle
user: Bogamoga
By Fenrir.Mtmoogle 2010-10-13 16:06:02
Link | Citer | R

Pup isnt bad at all its just how many ppl are "good" pups and know what they are doing
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2010-10-13 16:08:03
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
How other people view a job versus how the job actually performs is not my problem.
Didn't mean to impily that it was.... I'm sorry I guess im just ranting.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Serveur: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-10-13 16:11:21
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
This thread is still going on huh... Sigh why not just focus on seeing what pld can still do instead of labeling it a useless job? I realy hate it when people form job prejudices in this game... all it does in the end is stop people who put effort in there favorite jobs from enjoying the game.

It's not really a "useless label". If you don't have a better option then by all means use one, that's really the point. There are better options for 99% of content.
[+]
 Fenrir.Snick
By Fenrir.Snick 2010-10-13 16:11:41
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Mtmoogle said:
Pup isnt bad at all its just how many ppl are "good" pups and know what they are doing
Even a well geared PUP will always be wasted potential over them focusing on gearing MNK or SAM or whatever.

Having said that I understand that a girl has to have her fun, so as such, if somebody was to have a well geared PUP I wouldn't turn them down cause they aren't the most efficient or I'd be kicking Captaincrunch from my shell til he has 85 Spharai.
 Fenrir.Snick
By Fenrir.Snick 2010-10-13 16:14:05
Link | Citer | R

brb breaking Captaincrunch's pearl
 Diabolos.Piraal
By Diabolos.Piraal 2010-10-13 16:14:27
Link | Citer | R

You still see loldrg comments, and there are some that would surprise you, and others that really are lol, point being good players will make or break a job no matter what job it is, that being said I think most good players tend to play jobs that are more useful to the group/linkshell, and work on improving those job. Is pup, or drg more useful to a group/linkshell then mnk, sam, or pld, I don't think so, monk maybe the best shadow tank in the game, sam is very versatile at making SC's for the casters, and pld... well I think it's important, and have said my points more then a few times, but I can see many others don't agree, and maybe i'm just being biased.
[+]
 Asura.Aust
Serveur: Asura
user: Aust101
By Asura.Aust 2010-10-13 16:22:20
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

The problem is that your point is incorrect. Hate caps and DDs will cap hate very quickly. As a result, that MNK/WAR is going to be cotanking (or more likely main tanking) in short order, so they'd have to go /NIN anyway if they want to stay alive. At this point, you gain more by having the PLD change to a DD job and tanking anyway. A MNK/WAR or SAM/WAR who has to hold back will do less damage than a MNK/NIN or SAM/NIN who can play aggressively.

Also, most ***is done extremely lowman these days. If you don't have but one or two people engaged on the mob, you gain a lot by having them go as DD jobs rather than PLD.

Keep in mind I haven't done anything post lvl cap increase regarding HNM's.

I see your point, I'm just trying to play out the scenario where say a party of WHM/SCH, BRD/???, MNK/WAR, SAM/WAR, WAR/SAM, PLD/NIN, could take down an HNM, faster and smoother then say WHM/???, BRD/???, MNK/NIN, SAM/NIN, WAR/SAM(or NIN), Extra/DD. Unless you plan to put another support job there. Say a second BRD, COR or DNC or whatever you want. I see nothing wrong with either party tho in my opinion.
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2010-10-13 16:24:34
Link | Citer | R

Diabolos.Piraal said:
You still see loldrg comments, and there are some that would surprise you, and others that really are lol, point being good players will make or break a job no matter what job it is, that being said I think most good players tend to play jobs that are more useful to the group/linkshell, and work on improving those job. Is pup, or drg more useful to a group/linkshell then mnk, sam, or pld, I don't think so, monk maybe the best shadow tank in the game, sam is very versatile at making SC's for the casters, and pld... well I think it's important, and havesaid my points more then a few times but I can see many others don't agree, and maybe i'm just being biased.
Well I like to think that every job in ff11 brings something new to the table that no other job can do. Whatever that something is can be applys to help in end game situations. Take abyssea for exsample. It has many different NMs thus many of those fights require many different stratagies to win. Each job can do differnt things to help so that you can be prepared to face any foe.

Sure some jobs can do popular tactics better then others (like how only a few jobs are best for zerging) but every job can bring a new form of a tactic to your fight and can help you win those fights.... at least thats what I want to belive anyway.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-10-13 16:25:13
Link | Citer | R

I dunno about the shells you were in, but Third Eye has always worked as well for tanking HNM as Utsusemi does.
 Diabolos.Piraal
By Diabolos.Piraal 2010-10-13 16:28:53
Link | Citer | R

Not sure if anyone said otherwise....
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-13 16:30:44
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Aust said:
I see your point
No, I don't think you do.

Quote:
I'm just trying to play out the scenario where say a party of WHM/SCH, BRD/???, MNK/WAR, SAM/WAR, WAR/SAM, PLD/NIN, could take down an HNM, faster and smoother then say WHM/???, BRD/???, MNK/NIN, SAM/NIN, WAR/SAM(or NIN), Extra/DD. Unless you plan to put another support job there. Say a second BRD, COR or DNC or whatever you want. I see nothing wrong with either party tho in my opinion.
Your PLD setup will not take down any such NM faster and more smoothly, that's my point. Your DDs are going to cap hate and die because they lack sufficient means of damage mitigation, and there's not a thing your PLD can do about because once they cap hate, they're all tanking. At this point, they're doing less damage than everyone going DD/NIN and bouncing hate. If everyone's bouncing hate, what the *** is the point of bringing a PLD to begin with?
[+]
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-10-13 16:35:19
Link | Citer | R

Diabolos.Piraal said:
Not sure if anyone said otherwise....

Is that at me?

Asura.Aust said:
I'm just trying to play out the scenario where say a party of WHM/SCH, BRD/???, MNK/WAR, SAM/WAR, WAR/SAM, PLD/NIN, could take down an HNM, faster and smoother then say WHM/???, BRD/???, MNK/NIN, SAM/NIN, WAR/SAM(or NIN), Extra/DD.

^ Don't need a PLD to allow jobs to trade off /NIN. PDT/Third eye is plenty
First Page 2 3 ... 12 13 14 ... 24 25 26