Help Please !

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Servers » Asura » Help please !
Help please !
 Quetzalcoatl.Raiven
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Kaiyzer
By Quetzalcoatl.Raiven 2010-09-30 08:48:57
Link | Citer | R

I'm having the exact same issue here. AOL UK, can connect to POL via XBox live, but not via PC. ***is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. Did any of you manage to find a solution yet?
 Asura.Rinkydink
Serveur: Asura
user: rinkydink
By Asura.Rinkydink 2010-09-30 08:51:27
Link | Citer | R

yes.. switch ISP!

but if you cant connect via PC.. as ive posted a few times.. you tried HotSpot?

also read the post i linked earlier theres a LOT of discussion on what was said and done.. basically you ened to find the correct rep to go through it.. you could explain i guess that TalkTalk had a similar issue and a few ports needed opening at their side that were closed by them
 Quetzalcoatl.Raiven
By Quetzalcoatl.Raiven 2010-09-30 08:55:50
Link | Citer | R

Just tried hotspot and it worked first time. So weird. Thanks for the recommendation!
 Asura.Rinkydink
user: rinkydink
By Asura.Rinkydink 2010-09-30 08:56:32
Link | Citer | R

no probs.. but yeh basically AOL have blocked a port their side.. it'll be same one talktalk did (seeing how effectively its the same company!)
 Asura.Theringer
user: Theringer
By Asura.Theringer 2010-10-01 22:16:57
Link | Citer | R

Yet when I contact AOL.. "There is no solution" STFU!

I'll try hotspot tomorrow (i missed that rinky, sorry)
 Asura.Theringer
By Asura.Theringer 2010-10-03 16:43:34
Link | Citer | R

When I use HotSpot.. I can't connect to anything :/
 Quetzalcoatl.Raiven
By Quetzalcoatl.Raiven 2010-10-04 11:48:32
Link | Citer | R

AOL have been useless with me too. I'm switching to BT in a few weeks anyway so eh. Hotspot works for me but is very laggy to start with for some reason. Better than nothing at the moment though.
 Asura.Theringer
By Asura.Theringer 2010-10-04 13:12:33
Link | Citer | R

You just download and install Hotspot right? Nothing fancy I gotta do?

Using it just stops me from even browsing. Gonna give it another go. I'm also looking at switching ISP, Looking at Sky or Virgin atm, wont go with BT (after my uncle told me to forget it when he worked there lol) - Just need to contact AOL and see how I go about cancelling contract.. but can see that being an issue.. Dont want to still be paying for it when I no longer use it
 Asura.Davinia
user: Davinia
By Asura.Davinia 2010-10-05 16:24:12
Link | Citer | R

sky bottlenecks there service during peak times very heavily, i would recommend either BT or Virgin if you can get.

AOL have been blocking FFXI due to the fact that it has send and receive and have been flaggin it as a P2P app.

Solution: Switch ISP
 Valefor.Jamesaji
Serveur: Valefor
user: Ajito
By Valefor.Jamesaji 2010-10-10 08:44:46
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Davinia said:
Solution: Switch ISP
This.

But like I posted over on ZAM:
Quote:
A warning to anyone switching from AOL. Recently an AOL customer requested a MAC code to do a switchover. AOL failed to give this customer a MAC code due to "the system being down"; as a form of compensation they offered this customer 2 months of broadband for free to which they accepted. However, without the customer's knowledge, this effectively signed them up to a new 18 month contract. This certainly isn't a surprising situation, but I just wanted to let you folks know.

Thank you Rinkydink; Hotspot will serve as a temporary fix until I get switched over to O2.
 Asura.Theringer
By Asura.Theringer 2010-10-10 08:47:12
Link | Citer | R

How did you get Hotspot working :(
 Asura.Daleterrence
user: Dalight
By Asura.Daleterrence 2010-10-10 08:49:32
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Theringer said:

It's very luck based. (Ironic considering how luck based FFXI is >.>) Search for that TalkTalk thread, I posted a couple solutions in there if Hotspot wasn't working.
 Valefor.Jamesaji
By Valefor.Jamesaji 2010-10-10 08:54:35
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Theringer said:
I just installed it and it worked straight away.
 Ragnarok.Inx
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Inxmonk
By Ragnarok.Inx 2010-10-10 08:58:19
Link | Citer | R

Thanks for the workaround guys, been suffering this crap for a month now.

Resorted to using Wireshark and all kinds of dicking about to demonstrate to them what ports and servers are being blocked, demanded an escalation, etc. And of course... nothing has happened.

What makes me so angry is the fact that they KNOW exactly what the problem is, yet seem intent on hiding what it is from inquirers.

My new mission is to get some compensation/free release from my contract with these scumbags, as their behaviour over this issue has been basically criminal.

Valefor.Jamesaji
By Valefor.Jamesaji 2010-10-10 09:42:00
Link | Citer | R

It seems I can't use Hotspot reliably for FFXI. Random timeouts. Not surprising since the VPN server is located in Chicago. A free UK VPN server would probably work better, but it's obviously tough to get a good reliable free VPN.