Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Stanflame
Serveur: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-09-21 05:13:32
Link | Citer | R

''Before God we are all equally wise - and equally foolish.''

''If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?''
 Sylph.Oddin
Serveur: Sylph
user: Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-09-21 05:14:12
Link | Citer | R

I started my shopping a couple months ago. You can save a lot of money buying gifts early. I saved 500 dollars last year from buying with sales going on during the year.
By Flionheart 2010-09-21 05:15:37
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Bartimaeus said:
Artemicion said:
Off to bed. Have fun you folks~

gnight
Asura.Bartimaeus said:
Flionheart said:
Sup sup. I already started my Christmas shopping :D

I generally wait til a week before, so I can trample people on the Super Target floor when entering at 6 am.

No? Nobody else?

Walmart or lolKmart (they still have them!) if you prefer?

I buy quite a few months before christmas. We have a local fun fair that comes to town, so I normally get a ton of cheap *** stuff from the stalls there. There's always a major rush and panic on Christmas Eve when I forget a major gift or something though lol.
 Valefor.Monkeynutz
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Monkeynutz 2010-09-21 05:18:00
Link | Citer | R

ShiniXIV said:
Valefor.Monkeynutz said:
ShiniXIV said:
Valefor.Monkeynutz said:
ShiniXIV said:
Artemicion said:
ShiniXIV said:
Sylph.Oddin said:
Let me know when Atheists start their own Crusades. Then we can argue that Atheists and religious people are the same.

Irrelevant. Now you are just holding a grudge? What you just said proves my point.

Not really.

Yes really. All you people of science claim to base all your beliefs off of facts. Ergo, you would know that it wasn't religion that caused the crusades - it was inherent flaws in humans and their greed for power and conquest. Religion was just the 'reason' they used at the time. Weapons of Mass destruction was used for Iraq, so on & so forth. It's basic human psychology. You can't pick & choose when you want to use your divine scientific morality. But I'm sure in your next reply you will continue to do so.

I'm not sure if you realize this or not, but you just compared religion to weapons of mass destruction.

Not directly; I simply highlighted that humans will always find a reason to destroy something. We can go back thousands of years and we will see the same cycles repeat, over and over and over. And in another thousand years when religion no longer exists and we are living in space, humans will have found something else to fight about. What will you all blame then, hmmm?

Of course, for having a unique opinion that falls into neither group, I am branded high & mighty and trying to enforce my own opinion (the opinion of uh... not following either of these groups?). It sounds kind of like... being branded a heretic! :x

I'm not really sure what you're getting at. You seem to equate acceptance of scientific fact with belief, which it isn't. It really doesn't matter if you know much about science, you will be subjected to its workings anyway. Ignorance of gravity won't allow you to float off of the planet. No matter how much you might argue against evolution and genetics if you have kids they will share the genetic makeup of his or her two parents with some possible mutation. The only point where you're almost on target is that most science minded people would really rather most people acknowledge that this immutable reality exists instead of pretending one thing or the other.

Assuming I think that I can defy gravity because I refuse to say religion is false because of science once again shows how you science people are just religious people with different clothes on. Please continue!

If you wish. I picked gravity and biology at random to illustrate that regardless of scientific knowledge or 'belief' you are beholden to scientific truths. I could have belabored the point, and I suppose I am now, that it doesn't matter whether or not you believe in cosmic background radiation that dates the universe at 13.75 billion years, it simply is a fact (within acceptable margins or error). Many of these facts utterly obliterate the tenants of virtually all religions, particularly the 3 primary monotheistic religions. The blow is ever harsher because said religions have books that claim to be completely and utterly infallible (no science text would ever claim that) and have such grievous errors as to place the value of pi at exactly 3.

Now, as to the 'why can't we all just get along' argument, it more or less doesn't matter what people privately believe, no matter how extreme or bizarre, except that people act on beliefs. Ignorant beliefs about the universe and morality can have disastrous effects on public policy, for instance. It is primarily for that reason that it matters whether people are accepting of scientifically valid facts/ theories or archaic fairy tales.
 Lakshmi.Feifongwong
Serveur: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Feifongwong 2010-09-21 05:21:56
Link | Citer | R

Nothing to do with christmas but...

you mad?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaYmCPPLYrI
 Bahamut.Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-09-21 05:22:23
Link | Citer | R

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity. "

"It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder. "

proof crusades has nothing to do with religion...

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-09-21 05:28:33
Link | Citer | R

Holy crap Stan, could you be any more wrong?... Your last 2 quotes there have nothing to do with the point at hand... Technology has nothing to do with any point people have made thus far. As for your second quote, yes killing during a war is still considered murder. Again, nothing to do with the point.

The motive behind the Crusades was spreading a specific religion to the masses and eliminating anyone who held different beliefs because they were wrong and believed to be a threat to the Christan ways. The motive for the entire thing is RELIGION. The same thing for the Islamic extremists commiting acts of terrorism today.
 Lakshmi.Feifongwong
By Lakshmi.Feifongwong 2010-09-21 05:37:32
Link | Citer | R

1. Most current science is ignorant and chosen by peer review panels that promote only their own findings for further funding. That's right "science and discovery" is a business......

2. Islam will rule the world within the next 50 years... well, get ready for the 2nd dark age....

we are ***
 Bahamut.Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-09-21 05:39:07
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Oddin said:
Holy crap Stan, could you be any more wrong?... Your last 2 quotes there have nothing to do with the point at hand... Technology has nothing to do with any point people have made thus far. As for your second quote, yes killing during a war is still considered murder. Again, nothing to do with the point.

The motive behind the Crusades was spreading a specific religion to the masses and eliminating anyone who held different beliefs because they were wrong and believed to be a threat to the Christan ways. The motive for the entire thing is RELIGION. The same thing for the Islamic extremists commiting acts of terrorism today.

Humans did the killing, not the religion.
 Sylph.Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-09-21 05:42:41
Link | Citer | R

Humans did the killing in the name of their religion. Believe it or not, motive does count for something.
 Lakshmi.Feifongwong
By Lakshmi.Feifongwong 2010-09-21 05:43:04
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Stanflame said:
Sylph.Oddin said:

and who created the religion??

the intelligent apes of old!

they knew of peace and harmony until the dark times came and they told us of the royal duty to save jesus and his city!

onward men! for duty and honor! also the way to heaven! for reals!
 Lakshmi.Feifongwong
By Lakshmi.Feifongwong 2010-09-21 05:44:26
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Oddin said:
Humans did the killing in the name of their religion. Believe it or not, motive does count for something.

actually it wasn't for religion, that was the excuse. it was for political reasons.

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Monkeynutz
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Monkeynutz 2010-09-21 05:46:32
Link | Citer | R

ShiniXIV said:
As another poster pointed out, ignorant use of science can lead to events such a Hiroshima. I am not against science itself, I am against the people who act exactly the way you described of religion. As though science is 100% truth and infallible. Now I am not saying that is you, but so far in this topic you have already tried to usher me into accepting that science should be my one and only 'truth' and that I must think silly things like I can defy gravity just because I refuse to accept science as well... my religion, basically. Science has taught me one thing, and that's to always be curious about everything and never take anything as 100%. If you can tell me that most extreme science & atheist minded people don't act like their view is 100% right, just like the extreme religious people they complain about, then please do so. But you know you can't, and that is a fact.

(truncating because it's getting a bit long)

Events like Hiroshima do not spawn from ignorance, but malice, which is really neither here nor there. If you were to argue that science can be dangerous I would have to agree with you. Even the first major scientific discovery (fire) is dangerous and often weaponised. But as I said, that's rather tangential and deals with sociology.

I never said you or anyone should think of defying gravity (though some extremists exist who deny gravity). As I said already it was an example of science that, regardless of specific knowledge, governs everything. I could certainly tell you that most scientifically minded people won't tell you that their perspective is 100% fact. Some exceptionally arrogant people in that category might, but as a rule that category would be made up of skeptics and rationalists. Nobody who has studied science at all could possibly tell you that all of their scientific knowledge is 100% factual and keep a straight face. That's precisely why science is reliable. It's refined and built upon as knowledge increases to get a better understanding of the universe.

Back to your Hiroshima example, in such a case science is the means or tool for the destruction. For events such as the Crusades or the attacks on 9/11 or 7/7 science is also the tool. Religion, however, is the inspiration (though not for Hiroshima, obviously).
 Bahamut.Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-09-21 05:46:38
Link | Citer | R

"
True religion is real living; living with all one's soul, with all one's goodness and righteousness. "
 Bahamut.Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-09-21 05:47:17
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Feifongwong said:
Sylph.Oddin said:

actually it wasn't for religion, that was the excuse. it was for political reasons.

By Flionheart 2010-09-21 05:48:01
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Stanflame said:
Sylph.Oddin said:

That's like saying "Guns do the killing, not the people"

And no, not getting involved in a debate lalallalalal
 Lakshmi.Feifongwong
By Lakshmi.Feifongwong 2010-09-21 05:48:03
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Stanflame said:
"
True religion is real living; living with all one's soul, with all one's goodness and righteousness. "

i agree with stan on this...

my policy is to do what i want and enjoy life until i die
then i'll sort out the ***...
 Bahamut.Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-09-21 05:48:35
Link | Citer | R

"We cannot despair of humanity, since we ourselves are human beings. "
 Lakshmi.Feifongwong
By Lakshmi.Feifongwong 2010-09-21 05:50:32
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Bartimaeus said:
Lakshmi.Feifongwong said:

the intelligent apes of old!

they knew of peace and harmony until the dark times came and they told us of the royal duty to save jesus and his city!

I. Want. Your. Drugs.

i want that stache....
 Sylph.Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-09-21 05:55:56
Link | Citer | R

Source says 'sup

The whole point of the Crusades was to recapture Jerusalem after the Muslims stopped Christians from entering the city for their pilgramiges. Part of this was also a holy war against the Muslims because of the blatant disrespect to their own Holy Land.
 Bahamut.Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-09-21 05:58:40
Link | Citer | R

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Therefore religion and science can co-exist.

Now atheist or fake atheists (not true), should not try and use science as a crutch by trying to prove anything. I mean for false atheist like you not true.

When a true atheist talk it is not about science alone to hit into the face of a theist, or to bash religion.

"religion is the cause of wars" this is ***.
 Bahamut.Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-09-21 06:02:49
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Oddin said:
Source says 'sup

The whole point of the Crusades was to recapture Jerusalem after the Muslims stopped Christians from entering the city for their pilgramiges. Part of this was also a holy war against the Muslims because of the blatant disrespect to their own Holy Land.

Human nature at it's finest, all I am going to say. Still using religion to attack people which is an excuse to war. So no it is not the cause of it, humans are flawed. Try gain non true atheist.

Instead of siting here arguing that religion is bad it causes stuff why not go and have peace agreements with bin laden and terrorists.

Tell them if they stop America will stop, ask the same of America. Please tell me what happens after that, if it was so simple it would have been done already. I want to ask you something are you something.

What do you think of Muslims?
 Phoenix.Amael
Serveur: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amael 2010-09-21 06:10:02
Link | Citer | R

*** me! This was about a movie and look where it ended...
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9