Worth Coming Back?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Servers » Asura » worth coming back?
worth coming back?
First Page 2
 Asura.Kese
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: buhusky34
By Asura.Kese 2010-09-20 02:22:00
Link | Citer | R

stopped playing around may due to summer etc, wondering if its worth it to come back considering i've missed two level cap raises, and the release of ffxiv in a couple days. i'd love to come back and play but have been away from the ffxi scene for months.
[+]
By Artemicion 2010-09-20 02:31:14
Link | Citer | R

Totally up to you.
They're completely different games, with different environments, stories, music, gameplay, objectives, people, atmosphere, objectives, etc.
The best thing to do is if you have buddies dying to play XIV, give it a try. Or at least play the beta until it goes bye bye.

If it's not what you had hoped for it to be, then by all means come back to what is tried and tested to be a general good experience in playing.
[+]
 Asura.Kese
By Asura.Kese 2010-09-20 02:36:34
Link | Citer | R

i know its up to me, im looking to see everyones opinions about the direction the game is going, etc and if its worth spending time and money on if the game will be dead in a few months.
[+]
By Artemicion 2010-09-20 02:40:06
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kese said:
i know its up to me, im looking to see everyones opinions about the direction the game is going, etc and if its worth spending time and money on if the game will be dead in a few months.

Well, with all this new content coming out and more to come, and a whole new sideline of things to do in game, I don't see it ending anytime soon. After all, look at EverQuest. Still going strong, even after all these years and something like 17 expansions lol.

As SE said before: As long as people continue to play (pay), FFXI will continue to be supported.
 Unicorn.Nitsuj
VIP
Serveur: Unicorn
user: framerate
By Unicorn.Nitsuj 2010-09-20 02:42:52
Link | Citer | R

The game has gotten a lot better in so many ways, and the ways it's gotten worse I'm sure SE will be able to fix in the upcoming "balance patches" they're bound to have.

If you like FFXI, it's still fun. If you quit because you were bored, you're gonna be bored when you return .

It's still the same game.
[+]
By Artemicion 2010-09-20 02:44:49
Link | Citer | R

Yeah, it ultimately comes down to whether the game as a whole either brought you fun, or boredom.
By Exceter 2010-09-20 03:17:24
Link | Citer | R

I would say quit and move on to something else "IF" you don't really have friends on FFXI to help you complete stuff and get things done. Yeah the game has new content but it seems to me that the content is geared toward established players. At least from my observation Nyzul Assaults are dead, Dynamis is dead, shouts for Add-ons and General mission help is dead, Campaign for the most part is dead and will only get worse with the resistance outpost battles (I think that's what it's called) out now. And other things but I don't want to go on giving the impression that I'm bashing the game. So like I said unless you have a dedicated "Getting ***done" Linkshell or a Low man group of friends to run with Imo I'd say move on. That's just my opinion.
 Siren.Catabolic
Serveur: Siren
user: Catabolic
By Siren.Catabolic 2010-09-20 03:25:43
Link | Citer | R

If you liked it before more than likely you will like it even more now. The difference from 75-85 is a big 1 and people are actually coming back to the game that had left (including some people who left for 14). Those 10 levels will also be very easy to get now with Abyssea ptys getting 30k(to start)-100k+ exp an hour. Low level ptys have died but it wont be too long before they come back. People are just latched onto the new content atm.

Just come in knowing that there is newer better gear out there and the economy has changed.
 Asura.Saefinn
user: Saefinn
By Asura.Saefinn 2010-09-20 03:32:02
Link | Citer | R

Believe it or not, there are still more new people signing up to play. I'm one and it seems every evening I walk passed a couple of newbies.

If you enjoy playing the game, then I say why not? I don't think it's dead quite yet, even noobs like me can find a party. ;)
[+]
 Shiva.Darkshade
Serveur: Shiva
By Shiva.Darkshade 2010-09-20 03:35:12
Link | Citer | R

Short answer: depends

The game is still very much fun for myself. Really it's going to be on you to find a group of friends you enjoy hanging out with to do the new content as the deal breaker. The new content [abyssea] is highly timed and it is largely effective to go in with larger groups [6-12+] to accomplish anything. EXPing has been altered in a sense that it's no longer really a problem of grind. In Abssea you can make 60-90K/hour. More than ever the focus is on grinding for gear. WoTG is still receiving updates and with the next patch in 3 months [Heroes of Abyssea] will receive it's final missions. WoTG sports about the highest quality cut scenes in the game when compared to anything else and are very interesting.

Anyway.

Without good friends this game is very ***. Find some people to bro-up with or gtfo.

edit: Oh yeah, besides the obvious draw backs of hurrg Abyssea being timed, I wanted to mention it basically defeats the purpose to bot to claim stuff which is kinda nice. You have a much better of claiming one of abyssea 200 NMs and if you don't or it's already being fought when you enter most of them respawn on a 30-60 minute timer.

Basically: kind of a little bit more intelligently designed. Also RDM has a new refresh body. Pimpchan gonna hate on me in a sec brb.
By Artemicion 2010-09-20 03:39:21
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Saefinn said:
Believe it or not, there are still more new people signing up to play. I'm one and it seems every evening I walk passed a couple of newbies.

If you enjoy playing the game, then I say why not? I don't think it's dead quite yet, even noobs like me can find a party. ;)

Asura...

Phoenix.Wackatramp
Serveur: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Wackatramp 2010-09-20 04:03:05
Link | Citer | R

If you have no actual sense of accomplishment ingame, like salvage gear, relic, good HNM drops, etc. I'd say no. It's better to start fresh in FFXIV in my opinion. Abyssea is just out of hand. It should have been capped at 75. Via Abyssea, it might take you 2-3 good parties to go from 75-85.

To me, there is no endgame in FFXI until the new level caps come into place. dyna, limbus, salvage, pretty much outdated (unless you re close to obtaining relic/mythic as they can be upgraded. You re basically left with Abyssea, Walk of Echoes, and.....higher tier magian trials. 99 level cap botched everything for me. I quit and won't go back.

That's just my opinion though. If you still have friends and an active LS, by all means go for it. FFXI won't die, as it's the last MMO for a lot of people. Perhaps you'll make it yours. Your call.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-09-20 04:33:49
Link | Citer | R

Abyssea hasn't outdated all the old endgame gear, don't be stupid. There's still use for it though later on there probably won't be as much. For now though, there is.
[+]
 Shiva.Darkshade
Serveur: Shiva
By Shiva.Darkshade 2010-09-20 04:41:37
Link | Citer | R

They've stated [though if and when they're added I wouldn't be surprised if it was at the level 99 cap or with Heroes of Abyssea] that all our most precious "eg gear" will be augment-able eventually with the trial of the magians.
 Ragnarok.Cerelyn
Serveur: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Cerelyn 2010-09-20 05:04:43
Link | Citer | R

I find it funny how ppl now say E Body and Dalmy sucks (well there is a "better" dalmy from Abyssea now) but I dont see E body getting bad yet in awhile.
I'm one of the few remaining who also see Ridill still a viable good zerg weapon. Ppl are now saying that as well are crap.
 Siren.Temeraire
Serveur: Siren
user: Temeraire
By Siren.Temeraire 2010-09-20 06:21:22
Link | Citer | R

There's a lot of different opinions out there right now because the new content is changing so much about the old game. I'd say wait til the first of the month and come back and try for yourself. The worst that can happen is you end up feeling like you wasted a month of your life.

I was one of the ones who was going to do FF XIV when it first came out, but I backed out when I saw how unfinished the game seems and how it seems there are no real goals to work to early in the game.

Instead I found some new friends in XI and I am probably happier than I would be in XIV at this point.
By Lynxblade 2010-09-20 06:54:37
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kese said:
stopped playing around may due to summer etc, wondering if its worth it to come back considering i've missed two level cap raises, and the release of ffxiv in a couple days. i'd love to come back and play but have been away from the ffxi scene for months.
If your worried about lvling, dont be, abysea is rly good exp, you can get 75-85 prolly in like 6-8hours with a good abysea alliance
 Sylph.Oddin
Serveur: Sylph
user: Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-09-20 07:03:29
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kese said:

The game isn't going to "die" any time soon. Even with the release of FFXIV around the corner, FFXI is still going to be pretty active. Even people going to FFXIV will still play or eventually come back to play FFXI.

I'd say if you're going to be playing FFXIV, I'd hold off on coming back unless something is drawing you to FFXI and you feel it is indeed enough to come back for. Seeing as you're on Asura, the population is still fairly high so you have a better chance of finding people to do older content if you're interested in it. You'll have no problem doing new content whatsoever seeing as that's pretty much what everyone is focusing on right now.
[+]
 Asura.Kese
By Asura.Kese 2010-09-20 09:00:51
Link | Citer | R

alright sick, thats what i was hoping for, i'm not worried bout not being able to find people to do ***, i still have many friends in game. thanks for all the help, i should be back in a week or two
 Asura.Nalien
user: juro
By Asura.Nalien 2010-09-20 09:28:44
Link | Citer | R

Seeing as you're on Asura, no, it is not worth coming back.
[+]
Serveur: Titan
user: batboy267
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2010-09-20 09:52:41
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Nalien said:
1. Every server has drama problems not just asura.

2. He can always move servers.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Ukiyasan
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Ukiyasan
By Bahamut.Ukiyasan 2010-09-20 10:23:32
Link | Citer | R

Here is my opinion:

If you know people that will help you out with missions and older content that you want to do (aka Sky, Dyna, Salvage, WotG missions, etc.) then by all means, you should definitely consider returning.

Abyssea parties make leveling from 75 to 85 a cakewalk as the others have made apparent. I know I got MNK from 80-85 in a 3hr abyssea and recapped merits as well in that timeframe. Because of how abyssea parties work, it takes a little more to build the party (well, full alliance actually), but the reward is that you can end up with 75-85 in about 6-8hrs depending on how good your group is and how many people leave/get replaced.

The abyssea gear isn't that terrible to get. Yes, your time in abyssea is limited per 'session'; however, as you kill mobs... the fact that some chests grant time-extensions... you could really go on EXPing for as long as you want.

Now, the negatives...

If you want to continue doing old content (Sky, Limbus, Dyna, etc.), those areas are pretty dead right now. Everyone is focused on Abyssea. The flipside to this though is that with level 85, if you can get a small group of friends, its all rather easy to still do (Examples: The LS I'm with 14-man Kirin Zerged with only 1 healer and 2 BRDs; Byakko is being Duoed by 2RDM/NINs now-a-days; Pretty much every Limbus zone other than Proto-Ultima and Omega can be done with 6 or less)

The other negative is that alot (not all) of the older gear is currently becoming outdated (New TotM armor for each job outdating alot of it), but SE did stated before all this that our older gear would be (has not yet) getting TotMs to upgrade them as well.

So, just think about it and decide if you had alot of fun in the past or not... really the game is giving people the chance to become more casual gamers...
[+]
 Fenrir.Terminus
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2010-09-20 10:35:59
Link | Citer | R

Titan.Darkwizardzin said:
Asura.Nalien said:

Way to ruin Nalien's fun.
[+]
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2010-09-20 10:44:33
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Terminus said:
Asura.Nalien said:

My bad that comes with being a voice of reason.
[+]
 Asura.Wordspoken
By Asura.Wordspoken 2010-09-20 13:37:44
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Terminus said:
Asura.Nalien said:

Voice of reason with a Black Mage ava? :P
By Flionheart 2010-09-20 13:38:54
Link | Citer | R

Abyssea fantasy XI.
By Artemicion 2010-09-20 13:41:58
Link | Citer | R

Flionheart said:
Abyssea fantasy XI.

Will gladly take this over Crab Fantasy XI (ala 2004) or Bird Fantasy XI (ala 2007)
[+]
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2010-09-20 13:45:48
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Wordspoken said:
Fenrir.Terminus said:
Asura.Nalien said:

Voice of reason with a Black Mage ava? :P

So....because I have an avatar of a pic I liked from a final fantasy artist I can't voice reasonable opinions?

Ok sure that makes since... at least I don't have an avatar of a child who thinks she is the grim reaper.
[+]
 Asura.Solara
user: solara
By Asura.Solara 2010-09-20 15:49:31
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kese said:

You shouldn't come back, because when you left you broke my heart.

First Page 2