Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Servers » Asura » New guy here
New guy here
First Page 2
By Saefinn 2010-09-04 07:41:59
Link | Citer | R

Thought I'd say hello, I'm quite late to the party(probably by about 8 years ;)), but recently I thought I'd pick up a copy of FFXI and I started playing on Asura, as I've heard it's one of the more populated servers. From reading another thread on here, it sounds like that maybe it was a bad choice, but meh, I'm sure that not everybody on Asura is that bad, it's an MMORPG, so I figured you'd get your fair share of idiots anyway.

I'm a level 14 Monk from Windhurst and have just made my trek to Jeuno looking for people to party with, but I doubt at level 14 I'm all that appealing, but I wouldn't mind playing alongside others.

But anyway, this here website-like thing seems useful and I'm sure my character won't suck forever. :P

Cheers
[+]
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Serveur: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-09-04 07:46:18
Link | Citer | R

Good luck.

Oh and first time playing ffxi or just a new char?
 Asura.Daleterrence
Serveur: Asura
user: Dalight
By Asura.Daleterrence 2010-09-04 07:54:53
Link | Citer | R

I'd get off Asura if you knew what was good for you.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Serveur: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2010-09-04 08:34:59
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Daleterrence said:
^ Agree with this!

Anyway you're too low for Jeuno right know, at level 14 you want to either be doing Valkurm Dunes or Buburimu Penisula (that's where windurst people like to go right?)
[+]
 Asura.Theringer
user: Theringer
By Asura.Theringer 2010-09-04 08:49:06
Link | Citer | R

Hi new guy ^_^

What timezone you in?
 Leviathan.Angelskiss
Serveur: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Angelskiss 2010-09-04 08:50:16
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Tidis said:
Asura.Daleterrence said:
^ Agree with this!

Anyway you're too low for Jeuno right know, at level 14 you want to either be doing Valkurm Dunes or Buburimu Penisula (that's where windurst people like to go right?)
maze of shakirami/ Inner hortoru (spelling) ruins >.> farm those onions new guy :D

and welcome!
 Bismarck.Katianna
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Katianna 2010-09-04 08:50:22
Link | Citer | R

The low level scene isn't that great on Bismarck either. The parties in Dunes @ ~10+ are usually people in the same linkshell and Qufim party invites ~18+ are hit or miss. In most cases you can sit there for 4-5 hours + with no invite unless it is during prime time at night EST or weekends. At that point I can't say.
 Asura.Theringer
user: Theringer
By Asura.Theringer 2010-09-04 08:52:33
Link | Citer | R

I have a linkshell for you if you'd like! ^_^

I got one that's busy during GMT prime time... and one busy(ish during GMT) on NA timezones if you'd like a pearl to any, i'll be happy to give you one :)
 Asura.Karbuncle
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-09-04 08:52:46
Link | Citer | R

I solo'd Duo'd my way from 1~40 on most/all of my sub jobs, its not too difficult with Fields of Valor now.

took me maybe 3-4 Days to get my COR from 4 to 40 off FoV and 1-2 solo-run MMM's

Low Level Scene is so much easier and more fun now than it used to be.

Have fun in game =D
 Asura.Saefinn
user: Saefinn
By Asura.Saefinn 2010-09-04 10:18:37
Link | Citer | R

Thank you all for the welcomes.
Quote:
Oh and first time playing ffxi or just a new char?

First time playing, I was too much of a cheapskate before, stuck around on Runescape for a while, but most MMORPGs do. :)

Quote:

It was curiosity that got me, plus I wanted to confirm my account on here. But yeah, I've mostly been sticking around Buburimu.
Quote:
What timezone you in?
GMT, I'm from the UK too.
Quote:
maze of shakirami/ Inner hortoru (spelling) ruins >.> farm those onions new guy :D
I'll give them a go, cheers. :)
Quote:
The low level scene isn't that great on Bismarck either. The parties in Dunes @ ~10+ are usually people in the same linkshell and Qufim party invites ~18+ are hit or miss. In most cases you can sit there for 4-5 hours + with no invite unless it is during prime time at night EST or weekends. At that point I can't say.

Cheers for the heads up, I'll just solo it up for a while longer and send invites when I come across a party of a reasonable level.

Quote:
I have a linkshell for you if you'd like! ^_^

I got one that's busy during GMT prime time... and one busy(ish during GMT) on NA timezones if you'd like a pearl to any, i'll be happy to give you one :)

Sure. Though I doubt I have anything of value I could give in return. But, legend!
Quote:
I solo'd Duo'd my way from 1~40 on most/all of my sub jobs, its not too difficult with Fields of Valor now.

took me maybe 3-4 Days to get my COR from 4 to 40 off FoV and 1-2 solo-run MMM's

Low Level Scene is so much easier and more fun now than it used to be.

I've not actually tried Fields of Valor yet, I'll give it a go if it'll help me level up quicker.

Cheers
[+]
 Alexander.Varistor
Serveur: Alexander
user: Varistor
By Alexander.Varistor 2010-09-04 10:48:51
Link | Citer | R

you can't be a new player cause all sorts of negative ppl on here keep saying this game is dead and no one new plays. Which of course i knew is BS cause i see new ppl on alex all the time. glad you came in. This game isn't going anywhere anytime soon. GL and have fun.
 Bahamut.Zorander
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-09-04 11:01:19
Link | Citer | R

Welcome to the game..its fun might be hard to lvl but just stick with it. The game is old but its no where near the end of its run, enjoy it while you can.
 Asura.Saefinn
By Asura.Saefinn 2010-09-04 11:34:52
Link | Citer | R

I suppose with Square Enix repackaging FFXI it attracts new people and of course there's no doubt die-hard FF fans who finally give in to the subscription fees :). I wanted to get the Ultimate Collection but I'm a 360 gamer and am in the UK, so we don't get it - judging by how difficult it is to get a copy of FFXI for the 360 in the UK, I imagine Square have stopped supplying Europe with the XBox 360 version. I would have bought the PC version if my laptop didn't die on me, this PC barely survives on anything remotely 3D.

But I'm sure I'll have fun - I tend to tire of most MMORPGs by this point, so it's nice to see that I haven't, but then I'm interested in some of the stuff I can work towards. :)
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-09-04 11:49:20
Link | Citer | R

Just keep going..it might start feeling like a grind sooner or later but the game gets really interesting the higher lvl you are..and the real fun doesn't begin til you are in the 70's! (Not saying that lvling from 1~up can't be fun, but End Game is the bread and Butter of this game to me!)

If you need help with anything look around ah.com there is alot of very good info to be found here..if you can't find it start a new topic(make sure you do some homework before posting tho. wiki.ffxiclopedia.org is your friend ^^.) or just PM some of the more friendly/helpful ppl to get an answer. GL in game!
 Shiva.Superdan
Serveur: Shiva
user: SuperDan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-09-04 11:50:02
Link | Citer | R

Welcome to the first day of the end of your life.
[+]
 Asura.Saefinn
By Asura.Saefinn 2010-09-04 12:06:30
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
Just keep going..it might start feeling like a grind sooner or later but the game gets really interesting the higher lvl you are..and the real fun doesn't begin til you are in the 70's! (Not saying that lvling from 1~up can't be fun, but End Game is the bread and Butter of this game to me!)

Yeah. I've found on the brightside, there's always something worth working towards, I'm trying to hit level 18 so I can start the quest that'll get me support jobs, then level 20 will be a good level for me to do my rank 2 missions and get the rank 2 armour for my monk.
Quote:
(make sure you do some homework before posting tho. wiki.ffxiclopedia.org is your friend ^^.)

Aye, I've found it very useful so far.
Quote:
Welcome to the first day of the end of your life.

That's assuming I had one to begin with. ;)
[+]
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-09-04 12:10:51
Link | Citer | R

Gogogo Chocobo @18 or 20 I can't remember.

Which job or jobs did you have in mind?
 Asura.Saefinn
By Asura.Saefinn 2010-09-04 12:23:46
Link | Citer | R

Support job of white mage would be handy. Other jobs I'm attracted to are Summoner, Corsair, Samurai and Ninja. I'm most likely going to head in the direction of Samurai, but I think you have to be level 30 to get new jobs.

And of course, hell yeah to chocobos, the think I dislike about the FF games now is that you can't raise chocobos, I spent a many great hours on VII, VIII and IX raising my chocobos. Soon as I hit level 20, I'm heading straight to Jeuno to start the Chocobo quest.
[+]
 Shiva.Superdan
Serveur: Shiva
user: SuperDan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-09-04 12:32:23
Link | Citer | R

If you're wanting to level Samurai to 80+ I would reccommend you take your Warrior up to 30 first to be honest, as it would be the best SJ you can use for a while. Ninja is also an important subjob, but that also needs to be unlocked at Lv30.

There would be little point of taking MNK to 30, to leave it there forever, then having to go back to Lv1 warrior then levelling that up afterwards.

Just a little peice of advice.

PS: THF is an important subjob too.. But it's more situational. I would stick to WAR & NIN subs for now^^

Edit, that of course is only considering the SAM job. Other jobs need other subs. Whm sub would be important for Smn that you mentioned you are interested in.. And hell, even mnk use /whm for some situations (Chi Blast) if you are planning to take mnk up.
[+]
Serveur: Odin
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2010-09-04 12:32:27
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Saefinn said:
Support job of white mage would be handy. Other jobs I'm attracted to are Summoner, Corsair, Samurai and Ninja. I'm most likely going to head in the direction of Samurai, but I think you have to be level 30 to get new jobs.

And of course, hell yeah to chocobos, the think I dislike about the FF games now is that you can't raise chocobos, I spent a many great hours on VII, VIII and IX raising my chocobos. Soon as I hit level 20, I'm heading straight to Jeuno to start the Chocobo quest.

I like you already :)

Edit: WAR /THF /NIN /DRG is pretty much all you'd need for Samurai, /RNG if you feel like firing Arrows but that's not the most effective or cost efficient.

Another good thing to have, vital in fact is to level Polearm along with Great Katana as the WS Penta Thurst is just damn good.
 Carbuncle.Ronson
user: ronson
By Carbuncle.Ronson 2010-09-04 12:33:41
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Saefinn said:
I suppose with Square Enix repackaging FFXI it attracts new people and of course there's no doubt die-hard FF fans who finally give in to the subscription fees :). I wanted to get the Ultimate Collection but I'm a 360 gamer and am in the UK, so we don't get it - judging by how difficult it is to get a copy of FFXI for the 360 in the UK, I imagine Square have stopped supplying Europe with the XBox 360 version. I would have bought the PC version if my laptop didn't die on me, this PC barely survives on anything remotely 3D. But I'm sure I'll have fun - I tend to tire of most MMORPGs by this point, so it's nice to see that I haven't, but then I'm interested in some of the stuff I can work towards. :)

Welcome to the game bro ^^

yus she's an old ship but dont be scared she wont sink yet :)

all other posts to be noted as they are good info for you.if you are looking for the ultimate collection for the xbox(forgot if you can get it on xbox because i started on pc then migrated to xbox like a tard lol)id suggest Amazon.co.uk i got the 2007 edition bran new unopened of course :) from there for like £10 maybe and it came with the original game updates and x3 expantions:rise Of The Zilart...chains Of Promithia and Treasures Of Aht Urgan.im from the uk also and i have a spare wings of the godess cd key if you need(legal).ordered game then realised i didnt need it as i registered on pc lol.as for the other x3 add-ons:a moogle kupo d'etat...a crystalline prophecy and a shantotto ascension,dont worry about these too much because there small quests really and tho the rewards for completing these add on's can be some very nice gear for your jobs but not useable till level 70-75 i forgot real level but dam high.
same go's for the new Abbyssea expantions you can get in low level if your lucky but idealy you will have to be 70+ depending on if your a job like either damage dealer or healer.

but yeah with all that crap said the fun begins as one other poster said at 70+.have fun and welcome to the addiction :(,once your hooked your f**ked >.^
 Carbuncle.Ronson
By Carbuncle.Ronson 2010-09-04 12:40:26
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Superdan said:
If you're wanting to level Samurai to 80+ I would reccommend you take your Warrior up to 30 first to be honest, as it would be the best SJ you can use for a while. Ninja is also an important subjob, but that also needs to be unlocked at Lv30. There would be little point of taking MNK to 30, to leave it there forever, then having to go back to Lv1 warrior then levelling that up afterwards. Just a little peice of advice. PS: THF is an important subjob too.. But it's more situational. I would stick to WAR & NIN subs for now^^ Edit, that of course is only considering the SAM job. Other jobs need other subs. Whm sub would be important for Smn that you mentioned you are interested in.. And hell, even mnk use /whm for some situations (Chi Blast) if you are planning to take mnk up.

good advice from superdan here.you will want to take warrior to 30 after getting mnk to 20 really.reason been the support you get from subbing /war with any damage dealing job is second to none :) and also ninja as superdan said.if your finding you and your gear just hit too dam hard the shadows you get from subbing nin can make you less prone to been hit and which wont require a healer to burn his MP on ya
 Quetzalcoatl.Trauma
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Trauma
By Quetzalcoatl.Trauma 2010-09-04 12:53:00
Link | Citer | R

If you haven't already discovered FFXIClopedia I suggest you take a look. This website has anything and everything you need to get yourself started as a character. Look up Fields of Valor and find yourself a regime with a recommended level near yours. Most battle regimes will nearly double your experience gained and each completed regime gives you points that you can spend on useful buffs to use while leveling, like reraise or regen.

Here are a couple other links that can be really useful when first starting. I'm going to assume you already have windower.

A Skillchain Chart - One of these can be really handy when starting out. Skillchaining is a lot of fun and having a quick reference can make them easier to perform.

Campsitarus - A campsite database that is slightly outdated. It has detailed information on a lot of really good exp camps and can be very useful for starting your own party or helping your party choose a camp.

XI Vision - A collection of custom maps for FFXI, formerly known as FFXICartography. It will replace all of your maps in game with maps similar to the ones found on FFXIClopedia. Example. They contain a lot of useful information like NPC Locations, logging and mining points, NM pop locations, etc. You must own the magical map key item to be able to see the custom map for an area.

XI View - A User Interface modification for FFXI, formerly known as FFXIStyle or Brandsons UI. This will replace a lot of ugly things in FFXI like the font, arrows and status icons. The custom icons are very helpful and make determining your characters status much easier. Click the link for pictures of the UI and all the icons.

KParser - This program will run in the background and parse your FFXI logs. This is a very versatile program that allows you to look back and see detailed information on your performance in a party compared to the other members. It logs an incredible amount of information and can be used for many other things than just damage parsing. You can view chat logs, keep track of abyssea lights and even see how often other players use their job abilities.

BlinkMeNot - This is an incredibly useful windower plugin that stops a player from disappearing and reappearing (blinking) when they switch equipment. Targeting players while they're blinking can be very difficult, especially when you're trying to cure that player.

I hope this helps. I wish I had a lot of this stuff when I first started playing. It would have made learning the game much easier.

Nothing posted here will get you banned as well. Everything, including KParser, is undetectable and has been used for years without any problems at all.

It's good to see that new players are still joining FFXI with FFXIV right around the corner. I wish you the best of luck, friend.
[+]
 Bahamut.Purrfectly
By Bahamut.Purrfectly 2010-09-04 12:59:11
Link | Citer | R

:-) good luck with the game. It can be very addicting >.>;; You have been warned <.<;; But Alot of servers have went down but Bahamut seems to be doing pretty well over here I guess as well goes right now :P
 Asura.Alymorel
user: Alimorel
By Asura.Alymorel 2010-09-04 13:04:05
Link | Citer | R

Adding to Trauma's post so that you aren't confused, some of those won't work for you. Windower is PC based. The first three are good though, nice websites to look at while playing on your 360. ^^
 Quetzalcoatl.Trauma
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Trauma
By Quetzalcoatl.Trauma 2010-09-04 13:06:56
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Alymorel said:
Adding to Trauma's post so that you aren't confused, some of those won't work for you. Windower is PC based. The first three are good though, nice websites to look at while playing on your 360. ^^

Oh, haha. I didn't see the OP was on 360. :P I totally forgot that people still use the consoles. Ignore the PC stuff. :3
 Asura.Alymorel
user: Alimorel
By Asura.Alymorel 2010-09-04 13:08:25
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Trauma said:
Asura.Alymorel said:

Oh, haha. I didn't see the OP was on 360. :P I totally forgot that people still use the consoles. Ignore the PC stuff. :3
S'ok, still good sites for now and info if he ever jumps over. ^^
By Saefinn 2010-09-04 13:08:38
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
id suggest Amazon.co.uk i got the 2007 edition from there for like £10 maybe and it came with the original game updates and x3 expantions:rise Of The Zilart...chains Of Pomithia and Treasures Of Aht Urgan.

I did exactly that. As for Wings of the Goddess, thanks for the offer, but I'm not going to worry about getting it just yet, I've got plenty to do already without adding another expansion. ;)

However, thanks all for the tips. I'll get to level 20 and decide what I want to do with my Monk, I mean, if it works out better to switch to the warrior class, then I'll train myself up as one.

Cheers for the links Trauma. Some of that stuff I won't be able to use because I'm running the 360 version, but stuff like Campsitarus and the Silkchain chart will no doubt be very useful.

Cheers.
 Carbuncle.Ronson
By Carbuncle.Ronson 2010-09-04 13:51:04
Link | Citer | R

Saefinn said:
Quote:
id suggest Amazon.co.uk i got the 2007 edition from there for like £10 maybe and it came with the original game updates and x3 expantions:rise Of The Zilart...chains Of Pomithia and Treasures Of Aht Urgan.
I did exactly that. As for Wings of the Goddess, thanks for the offer, but I'm not going to worry about getting it just yet, I've got plenty to do already without adding another expansion. ;) However, thanks all for the tips. I'll get to level 20 and decide what I want to do with my Monk, I mean, if it works out better to switch to the warrior class, then I'll train myself up as one. Cheers for the links Trauma. Some of that stuff I won't be able to use because I'm running the 360 version, but stuff like Campsitarus and the Silkchain chart will no doubt be very useful. Cheers.

no problem :)

defo get wings of the godess tho as you get new jobs with the expantion aslo even if you dont want to do rank missions and so on :)

but all down to you good look :)

Edit:hhhm forgot to say you wont actually swap to warrior if you didnt know..you will for example use monk/warrior which is both jobs at the same time :).
so you will do sam/war because using the second job warrior combined with your samurai will make your samurai stronger due to the extra stats from the support job warrior :) plus the abilitie to use some(not all) of that second jobs abilities and job traits.

p.s if you know this already just ignore me lol
 Phoenix.Degs
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Degs
By Phoenix.Degs 2010-09-04 14:03:57
Link | Citer | R

its post like this, that make me miss the old days.. back in like -04/05... when areas like the dune, jungles etc.. were jumping with parties...
[+]
First Page 2