Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » Koggelmander vs Soulsaber 4STR 12ATK
Koggelmander vs Soulsaber 4STR 12ATK
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Serveur: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-27 22:59:07
Link | Citer | R

The trades may or may not be efficient and you're likely going to have to trade for acc in your spell set as well, so I'm still inclined to use the pizza build in that situation. If you're way over cap, swap in Tiercel, Acuben's, whatever STR/attack gear you can, etc.

Check for yourself but I'm pretty sure you end up losing more than you gain by going to meat unless you flat-out don't need the acc, in which case it's nothing of consequence and you could arguably just forego food completely.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Serveur: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-27 23:01:26
Link | Citer | R

I pretty much do that now. Part of the reason I've been thinking of going back to tping and wsing in foragers and such
 Quetzalcoatl.Wulfy
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Wulfy 2010-05-27 23:02:41
Link | Citer | R

Firstly, Koggelmander is better in every way. Why you ask? I'll tell you. First of all no BLU sits there not casting spells enough for the ATT+12 to even matter. If you somehow blow all your MP and don't have enough refresh or can't drain it from the mob, your a fool. Learn to manage MP better.
Quote:
Currently saving for Speed Belt, Dusk 1, and Cerb 1 while waiting for Salvage to start up again.

Big3

Triumph's are the 2 newest additions, and I do Dea when ls does ZNM, stupid subligar refuses to drop.

Perdu is actually in the mainhand.

1. Relic pants>Enkidu pants for big3.
2. Get a Cuchulain's.
3. Why the *** are you not using Relic hat.
4. Aesir Ear Pendant on BLU? Surely you have your jobs confused.

Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-27 23:13:58
Link | Citer | R

1. The only time relic pants will even compare to enkidus is when you aren't capping acc. Otherwise enkidues wins by alot everytime. Hell the acc difference isn't that much to begin with. More str. Actually had dex. Even subtle blow is helpful. Relics go like 3 more acc. Big whoop

2. Sure that will do more. Also cost alot more.

3. Relic hat adds anywhere from 0-2 to base dmg depending on tier break downs.

Gnadbohds adds 4-5 w/o CA and 8-9 w/ CA to base dmg on Frip/disservement. While on Hysteric barrage it will add 2-3 w/o CA and 3-4 w/.

Sure skill probably adds to the attack side of pdif a little but that is kinda hard to quantify as last time I read it hasn't been completely mathed out. I can tell you that relic head does consisently less dmg then my voyager sallet forget gnadbohds.

4. Blu does ws too ya know
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-27 23:16:14
Link | Citer | R

Relic hat v Gnadbhod's is generally a sidegrade; might as well use the piece that grants inventory+1. Worth checking WSC on though.

You are not getting sufficient MP/tic to spell spam without tailored support, and even then... With proper Haste buffs you're still not spamming at recast. The lrn2manage mp after saying you should be able to spam was priceless btw.

It's been said before in this thread but it's worth saying again... stop undervaluing your melee DPS.

Aesir is a great WS ear situationally.

EDIT: Dasva, the formula I saw was bATK=(8+skill+STR/2). Basically the one-hander attack formula without all the buffs =\
 Leviathan.Abriel
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Abriel
By Leviathan.Abriel 2010-05-28 00:42:40
Link | Citer | R

what'd I miss so far? looks like too much stupid to actually go back and read it all, lol.

as for the main question (koggle v. str/atk soulsabre), I'd go with koggle if it's available. aside from the delay difference of 6, you're basically pitting 4 dex (which can be beneficial to melee blu/nin even when over-capping hit-rate) up against 15 atk. the 15 atk is somewhere close to a 3% increase in melee dmg at ~420 atk, but that advantage is pretty much taken out by the delay difference. so, even without the increase of hit rate from koggle, it's still going to win for the increase to spell dmg.

as for the set posted above, only real upgrades I see are enkidu's subs, and ruby/triumph ring with cuchulain's mantle (outside of weapons). kinda confused as to why beast is on main, but I'm guessing it's ffxiah's fault.
 Remora.Brain
Serveur: Remora
user: Arucaurd
By Remora.Brain 2010-05-28 02:35:06
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Wulfy said:
Firstly, Koggelmander is better in every way. Why you ask? I'll tell you. First of all no BLU sits there not casting spells enough for the ATT 12 to even matter. If you somehow blow all your MP and don't have enough refresh or can't drain it from the mob, your a fool. Learn to manage MP better.

A great response has already been given to this HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE comment.
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
You are not getting sufficient MP/tic to spell spam without tailored support, and even then... With proper Haste buffs you're still not spamming at recast. The lrn2manage mp after saying you should be able to spam was priceless btw.

Quetzalcoatl.Wulfy said:
1. Relic pants>Enkidu pants for big3.
2. Get a Cuchulain's.
3. Why the *** are you not using Relic hat.
4. Aesir Ear Pendant on BLU? Surely you have your jobs confused.

1) Enkidu's Adds more base damage, and the 3 ACC is usually not needed for Big3 Spells.

2) When ACC is capped, the Cuchulain's can be trumped by the Smilodon because of flooring in WSC calculations. Currently, The Cuchulain's would add 1 more base damage to my setup, but since purchasing my Triumph's I need to recalculate.

3) 2 Blue Attack vs 2-4 Base damage. Gnadbhod's wins hands down. The only use for Mirage Keffiyeh is MACC and Breath Damage enhancement.

4) I can't get a suppa, so for me the best I can get is Aesir Ear Pendant, when not being hit. It's also a WS Earring. You know, for that Vorpal Blade thing?

I also carry a Flame ring and other pieces on me and I mix and match to best perform for a given task.

Once Antea is completed and I finish a few more merits, I'm sure there are some Koggel BLUs on Leviathan that could come play around with me and my new toy.
 Leviathan.Draylo
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-05-28 02:56:39
Link | Citer | R

Ha you are on Levi, name?
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-05-28 03:12:05
Link | Citer | R

I'm a koggle blu, although I hope you aren't comparing these for merit party only.
 Sylph.Starstrukk
Serveur: Sylph
user: Xera
By Sylph.Starstrukk 2010-05-28 03:21:52
Link | Citer | R

Only crap worth using BLU for is Nyzul, and you wouldn't want to use Koggel due to the affinity.

Arguably Zhay Rem, as a stunner if you don't have another. Which the same thing applies, intimidate effect FFFUUU.

Same deal with Mamool Merit parties, BST mobs FTL.

Shits situational, Antea hate is gimp justifying gimp. Denying it's not useful is plain stupidity.
[+]
 Remora.Brain
By Remora.Brain 2010-05-28 03:29:37
Link | Citer | R

Stuff you go BLU/NIN to and use the big3 for damage on. I'd say we head up to good old Deco weapon camp since it'd always be free and they're not so squishy as Birds.

The name is Arucaurd.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-05-28 03:32:26
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Starstrukk said:
Only crap worth using BLU for is Nyzul, and you wouldn't want to use Koggel due to the affinity.

Arguably Zhay Rem, as a stunner if you don't have another. Which the same thing applies, intimidate effect FFFUUU.

Same deal with Mamool Merit parties, BST mobs FTL.

Shits situational, Antea hate is gimp justifying gimp. Denying it's not useful is plain stupidity.

Nobody said it wasn't useful, please do us a favor and remove yourself from this thread and further posting you are an idiot.
[+]
 Sylph.Starstrukk
By Sylph.Starstrukk 2010-05-28 03:48:23
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Draylo said:
Nobody said it wasn't useful, please do us a favor and remove yourself from this thread and further posting you are an idiot.

Yes, ignore the main point of the post and cling to last blanket statement that had nothing to do with my main point of post.

I'd assume you're butt hurt I said BLU wasn't overly useful so you're just clinging to something. QQ
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-05-28 04:01:11
Link | Citer | R

I ignored the rest of that fail post because you are just a troll, please go back to troll school and learn how to not be a idiot. You aren't on my level.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Samuraiking
Serveur: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Samuraiking 2010-05-28 04:08:07
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Starstrukk said:
Leviathan.Draylo said:

Yes, ignore the main point of the post and cling to last blanket statement that had nothing to do with my main point of post.

I'd assume you're butt hurt I said BLU wasn't overly useful so you're just clinging to something. QQ

Your location flag is japan, you have an avatar of andy samberg and your named after a song by a white rap group that likes to sing with katie perry... don't really even need to insult you, you did a great job already on yourself. I'll give you props for trolling though. Nice combo of ***/retardation you got there.

BLU has plenty of uses, is it better than say blm? No. Not many jobs are, so you're just saying ***to be saying ***and have no point. I swear to god if one more person comes on here and says something about melee... None of us said anything negative about blu's melee other than the fact that it's 1) Not added up like a noncasting DD 2) Not as much as spell dmg 3) In MOST, not all situations going straight for melee dmg over spell dmg on blu isn't as good.

You(some of the more HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE ppl here) act as if Kogglemander has 1 base dmg and is only used for stats, it's got nice dmg/delay on it. No one is neglecting their damn melee at all. All we're(the ppl that agree with me) are saying is that in alot of /nin situations koggle is gonna offer an equal or bigger boost and once again ***is *** situational. Jesus christ. You people....
[+]
 Remora.Brain
By Remora.Brain 2010-05-28 04:09:52
Link | Citer | R

He's what you'd call a troll. You can hit it with a cream, but it's cheaper to ignore it. Either way, they'll disappear.

Blue Mage still has lots of potential, especially magically, and now with a level cap increase, new spells, WSs, and possibly DW native to BLU, Blue Mage stands close to being able to be a real DD and not just a Hybrid job.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-05-28 04:14:24
Link | Citer | R

Yeah new spells got me all excited for the update heh.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Samuraiking
By Gilgamesh.Samuraiking 2010-05-28 04:19:10
Link | Citer | R

If were talking about 80+ yeah I see BLU's melee picking up. I'm expecting some nice new ws for every job. Something that can make Light/Darkness on blu with a decent spell and not having to use lolSavage Blade would be nice.

Not looking forward to learning new *** though. I went 1/300+ on Aern kills alone. Prolly 1/30 on them being the right mob AND actually using disseverment.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-05-28 04:22:02
Link | Citer | R

I had a ton of fun learning my spells. Teaming up with my friends/fellow BLU to hunt them down was fun to me heh. Different experience for everyone though.
 Sylph.Starstrukk
By Sylph.Starstrukk 2010-05-28 04:27:05
Link | Citer | R

Gilgamesh.Samuraiking said:
Your location flag is japan, you have an avatar of andy samberg and your named after a song by a white rap group that likes to sing with katie perry... don't really even need to insult you, you did a great job already on yourself. I'll give you props for trolling though. Nice combo of ***/retardation you got there.

What does that have to do with anything? Personal attacks over the internet over random things, including country? Next time I name myself with a server merger I'll make sure I name myself bad *** like Bluemagekingthefourth.
Quote:
You(some of the more HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE ppl here) act as if Kogglemander has 1 base dmg and is only used for stats, it's got nice dmg/delay on it. No one is neglecting their damn melee at all. All we're(the ppl that agree with me) are saying is that in alot of /nin situations koggle is gonna offer an equal or bigger boost and once again ***is *** situational. Jesus christ. You people....

Nice, you agree with what I said, whats the problem there sir.

I have a Koggel, but sadly often enough I cannot use it because of the affinity without horribly gimping myself. If you can't tell the topic of this thread is regarding Koggel. I was adding something I hadn't seen mentioned regarding the value of Koggel.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Samuraiking
By Gilgamesh.Samuraiking 2010-05-28 04:31:52
Link | Citer | R

I'm giving you the same face as your avatar btw. You can't see me, but I am.
[+]
 Fairy.Rorrick
Serveur: Fairy
user: Rorrick
By Fairy.Rorrick 2010-05-28 15:14:39
Link | Citer | R

Samuraiking should probably stick to SAM if he thinks he's in any position to argue BLU with gear like this:

As for Draylo, I checked his page but he doesn't have any item sets to mock and his last gear was a resting set, which on its own makes sense. Except for having an Ariesian Grip in his Wanted list and not in his inventory.

Why a BLU should ever have to sit down to get MP though, is beyond me.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-28 15:20:23
Link | Citer | R

I've sat for mp on blu... like soloing spells on T/VTs easily pre NI. Or sometimes campaign or after I die....

Though truth be told if there is anything going on chances are I will be back up and doing stuff as soon as weakness wears if I'm not already. (weakened taru hp sometimes kinda prevents me from doing alot lol)
 Leviathan.Abriel
By Leviathan.Abriel 2010-05-28 15:44:02
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Dasva said:
I've sat for mp on blu... like soloing spells on T/VTs easily pre NI. Or sometimes campaign or after I die....

Though truth be told if there is anything going on chances are I will be back up and doing stuff as soon as weakness wears if I'm not already. (weakened taru hp sometimes kinda prevents me from doing alot lol)

that's why you always keep an hp set handy! (lol, ls mates are always amazed I have 650~800 hp on all my jobs when weakened) it's not a necessary set for most jobs, most of the gear is for drk, but why not carry it around for other jobs!? lol
 Quetzalcoatl.Wulfy
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Wulfy 2010-05-28 15:46:08
Link | Citer | R

Relic Hat with 7/8-8/8 Blue Magic Skill merits breaks into a the highest tier of spell damage. I probably should of stated that. In which case Relic Hat > Any STR/DEX helm as of now anyway.

I don't see how 7 ATT and conserve TP would out do a Triumph in Vorpal Blade.

I can see your argument with ATT gear though, but it would best suited for Tizona Blus in which case more ATT=More MP recovered.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-28 16:02:14
Link | Citer | R

Even if you break a tier with relic hat that is only 2 more base dmg. The best stat hat as far as I know right now is maat's.

Which will almost always add more than 2 to base dmg. The only when casting the big 3 it wont add at least 2 to base dmg is using hysteric barrage w/o CA with capped fstr. In which case it's 1.743 which may or may not round up.

So if you aren't capping fstr or you are using CA or you are using pretty much any other dmg spell maat's cap would win on base dmg.

Gnadbhod's isn't as good so it will lose on Frip/diss if you are capped fstr and not using CA. And will lose on H barrage if you cap fstr w/ or w/o CA otherwise it will still win.

Attack is kinda hard to quantify since it's based on too much other stuff so really situational.

Leviathan.Abriel
By Leviathan.Abriel 2010-05-28 16:09:24
Link | Citer | R

capping fSTR on blu? isn't that insanely high and nearly unattainable on mobs worth noting as blu? lol
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-28 16:28:54
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Abriel said:
capping fSTR on blu? isn't that insanely high and nearly unattainable on mobs worth noting as blu? lol
It is indeed high. Takes 84 dstr for most spells. However blu can reach some rediculous amounts of str. So mostly depends on what you fighting and how much you can set and extrental str buffs. Though you wouldn't probably wear as much str as you could for the big 3 anyways
 Remora.Brain
By Remora.Brain 2010-05-28 16:47:29
Link | Citer | R

I have 0 Blue Magic Merits, and it will stay that way until SE raises the cap like they said they would years ago.