-Jaridah Salvars
-Corsair's Bottes
-Nomad's Mantle +1
-Gun Belt
-Drone Earring x2
-Scorpion Ring +1 x2
-Pot-Au-Feu(food)

This should add 30~ rng acc, 35~ rng att, 24STR, 9AGI, 3DEX, 5 Marksmanship

Any advice is welcome. The hands are what I am having a problem with, I have Noct +1 but they don't seem exciting. I am mainly worried that I will not beable to connect on my shots. I understand that AGI is my main factor on acc and WS mod but I have heard that I will get a better return from strength. Of'course this is for parties that I am not the fisherman, W. Woodlands, bird camp. Thank you!
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Serveur: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-05-26 16:59:05
Link | Citer | R

Thunder mantle has 4 racc and relatively cheap
Quote:
I understand that AGI is my main factor on acc and WS mod but I have heard that I will get a better return from strength.

Partially correct. STR is better fore pure damage. If you're not hitting though, but if you're not hitting then racc would be priority to agi, so yea, I can't see many if any situations where agi would be better to use than str on ws. If you need acc, use racc, if not then use str
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-05-26 17:03:20
Link | Citer | R

Might even consider using an archers knife for extra rng acc. I never leveled COR but I partied with enough that were shooting bullets. I know it seemed on average that COR would miss their sidewinders more than 50% of the time. But then again that is just an eyeball-estimate :P
 Phoenix.Ailoki
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Xenophire
By Phoenix.Ailoki 2010-05-26 17:12:12
Link | Citer | R

Beater's Earring is pretty cheap nowadays. 30k on Odin. 3 R. Acc while /RNG. Where as 3 AGI is only 1.5 R. Acc? iirc... May be wrong, someone correct me if I am. Been a while.

What Veg said. Otherwise, you can stick to your Nomad's. I'm sure you have an Amemet +1 for later.

Not a whole lot for neckpieces for a DD build until 59, and those are Specs.

Jaridah Bazubands are nice for hands. Only 2 R. Atk, but it's something.

Again, what Veg said. Can't DD if you're not hitting. xD COR really get's the shaft early on as far as decent gear goes. It's a fun job, though and you'll level fast.

Caitsith.Silvaria
Serveur: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Silvaria 2010-05-26 17:29:02
Link | Citer | R

I used the Archer's Knife for quite a while, I found it to be very helpful. 8)
 Phoenix.Smileybone
Serveur: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Smileybone 2010-05-26 17:33:30
Link | Citer | R

Jaridah body has 5 r. acc which will carry you to 58 for your af body if you're having trouble hitting. An archer knife is also an option.
 Odin.Trelan
Serveur: Odin
user: trelan
By Odin.Trelan 2010-05-26 17:52:13
Link | Citer | R

TYVM guys. I will see how much I miss with this set-up and if I cannot connect I will trade out AGI and STR for rng acc. Anyone know what a respectable hit/miss ratio would be?
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-05-26 17:55:21
Link | Citer | R

If you're not capped, you're probably better off w/ the acc unless it's a significant amount of dmg+ as compared to a small amount of acc you could get for a trade.

Shooting in acc helps DoT and WS dmg.

Shooting in str only helps DoT.

Mainly because shooting helps DoT in the form of more shots landed. more shots landed brings more TP and thus more WS, where as str helps dmg/hit directly, no tp gained, so tp'ing in str does nothing for ws dmg.
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
Serveur: Alexander
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2010-05-26 18:00:32
Link | Citer | R

Correct me if im wrong, i havent used rng in a while. But as i recall, str does not directly affect Slug Shot as it does with sidewinder. AGI effects it more directly, while STR only affects it by adding R.att.
 Odin.Trelan
By Odin.Trelan 2010-05-26 18:01:25
Link | Citer | R

What would constitute capped? I'm sorry for so many questions, this is my first shooting job. Thank you.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-05-26 18:20:32
Link | Citer | R

Well, if you're parsing, capped hitrate is 95%. So if your average hit % is in the 93-95% area, then you're capped. If you look and you're landing on average 7.5 out of 10 shots, then you have a long way to go
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-05-26 18:22:16
Link | Citer | R

Alexander.Tidusblitz said:
Correct me if im wrong, i havent used rng in a while. But as i recall, str does not directly affect Slug Shot as it does with sidewinder. AGI effects it more directly, while STR only affects it by adding R.att.
You're forgetting fstr2. Str adds rattack and fstr2. Unless you're capped, every 2 str will add 1 base DMG, where with slug shot (30% agi mod), it will take ~4 agi to raise your base dmg by 1
 Ramuh.Zidan
Serveur: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Zidan 2010-05-26 19:11:29
Link | Citer | R

Don't forget about quick draw for dmg, 150 extra dmg every minute is nice. When I was leveling at that level I typically had to stack agi to hit any slug shots, but by about 58 I was able to replace agi with str. Also, not sure if your belt is better or not, but its worth mentioning volent belt.
 Sylph.Lotusbluete
user: Katniss
By Sylph.Lotusbluete 2010-05-27 02:49:07
Link | Citer | R

I would also recommend an Archer's Knife (if /nin cause pulling i'd evensay use 2x knife). With pot au feu + a.knife i was barely ever missing and had fulltime hate lol. dunno if all the SAMs / DRGs or WARs were gimps but it didnt seem so XD
 Sylph.Kimble
user: Jornna
By Sylph.Kimble 2010-05-27 02:57:08
Link | Citer | R

Could use a vision earring.

Its been a damn long time since I was a 55 COR though so I could be wrong, But I remember have pretty good racc and yes, use QD for some good extra damage
 Sylph.Lotusbluete
user: Katniss
By Sylph.Lotusbluete 2010-05-27 03:15:21
Link | Citer | R

yea, i used vision earring for WS + meleeing too and switched in 1x drone + moldy for QD
 Siren.Ihm
VIP
Serveur: Siren
user: Ihm
By Siren.Ihm 2010-05-27 03:24:04
Link | Citer | R

Something to note, if you're fighting colibri, unless you are burning R.Acc food, you should probably shoot at 200%, you'll have a lot better chance, or at least thats what I found, I was missing 90% of 100% shots.

Admitedly, I was /NIN all the time, using dual R.Acc daggers, so thats about the same as using /RNG (As far as accuracy bonus goes).

Some suggestions on gear tho.

Vision Earring
Beater's Earring
Jaridah Peti
Noct Gloves +1
Thunderer Mantle

Those are what I used, good pieces, help get that R.Acc a bit higher.
 Ifrit.Eikechi
Serveur: Ifrit
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-05-27 03:36:32
Link | Citer | R

also an racc option that nobody has seemed to mention is epin for head (3 agi over 3 str 4 dex if acc is an issue) or the chiroptera dagger over an archer (1 less agi+ but a full +2 racc over archer)...just a small suggestion

what gun do you have for cor? Shark Gun at 60 is pretty nice, and until then the AF is pretty solid from what I understand
 Odin.Trelan
By Odin.Trelan 2010-05-27 09:16:03
Link | Citer | R

I will be using the AF gun until something better comes up. I will purchase a Thunderer Mantle and Vision Earring incase I need a bump in acc. It seemed last night(East Ron.(S)) that my acc was capped with squid sushi, however everytime I would shoot I would get hate and of'course have my food taken(connecting for 95~115 each shot). This was /nin so I am starting to think that I may take a few dirt naps if I am /rng and use a WS that actually does damage over a normal /ra shot. Am I pipe dreaming to think that I will be able to /rng and not be a mp sponge? Part of the problem could be from our party not having a "true" tank. (blu cor war mnk dnc smn) I would assume that with a pld as the tank(or thf in the party) this will not be as big of an issue. Yes, I know that cor is a support job and I should probably not focus so much on damage. This is probably going to be my 99 "DD" job along with rdm and bst. My poor war, blm, brd, and drk probably will not break the 75 mark. Thank you everyone for the advice, I do appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. Also, I assume the correct distance from the mob is "strikes true, pummeling"?
 Asura.Santanah
Serveur: Asura
user: SantanaK6
By Asura.Santanah 2010-05-27 19:34:37
Link | Citer | R

Even with a DD PLD tank, I pull hate on Colibri just because COR's DPS is incredibly spiked (Slug, QD, Barrage). However, keeping your Slugs until 40% of the mob's health does help reduce the chance of grabbing hate when the PLD has had the chance to get some Vokes/Cure IIIs off.

BTW, with Sushi/Pot-au-feu, I shoot at about 85% accuracy with Slugs on Colibri at 100% TP. I have all the accuracy gear possible for a 62 COR, except Deadeye Gloves, which are on the way.
 Remora.Meredoc
Serveur: Remora
user: Doc2love
By Remora.Meredoc 2010-05-28 12:48:50
Link | Citer | R

Your setup is good with only a few tweaks. Just be careful not to grab hate lol. I know that sounds crazy but I did it more then one time on COR. especially from 54 to 56.(as long as no RNG are there)

NE: Oh and I would be making my own pt also. Invite a RNG if you can(I liked having 2 or 3 lol)
 Unicorn.Sedres
Serveur: Unicorn
user: Sedres
By Unicorn.Sedres 2010-05-28 13:05:45
Link | Citer | R

COR/RNG using ranged for TP will be incredibly expensive, although I'm sure you're aware of this already and if you can cover the cost I'm sure it's alot of fun.

You're taking a different route with COR than I did myself, only advice I can think of is to focus more on acc to get those shots to land, then try to hit the baance between getting Slug to land while doing pretty decent damage. One thing to bear in mind is you're going to be generating hate with all your rolls as well as the DPS from /range, so it may be worth trying to avoid generating too much, if possible.

I'm not much use here, as I said you took a different direction than I, I just wanted to make some contribution :)
 Gilgamesh.Jnumbahz
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: Numbahz
By Gilgamesh.Jnumbahz 2010-05-28 13:10:37
Link | Citer | R

Also something else if u wanan /rng use a Gun Belt its latent is +5 marks skill when /Rng very useful for ratt/racc, I just finished a cor 30-75 in 2 weeks even with my busy schedule just last week so its all fresh in my mind. Def as /nin use archers racc and agi really help elv (which I am too) we have low agi and it sux !! Rng is my main job so it was nice lvling cor. Also if u are /rng dont forget that perfect distance from mob for best shot ! Also good luck buying dice I didnt even realize how much they are until I bought them all @ once.. Good Luck !!
 Leviathan.Dubont
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-05-28 13:37:49
Link | Citer | R

Unicorn.Sedres said:
COR/RNG using ranged for TP will be incredibly expensive :)
everyjob is hella expensive if you play/gear it right =P Cor/whm (that aren't being FORCED to go /whm) are the lazy Cors and I never invite them lol
 Siren.Enternius
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-05-28 13:39:25
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Dubont said:
Unicorn.Sedres said:
everyjob is hella expensive if you play/gear it right =P Cor/whm (that aren't being FORCED to go /whm) are the lazy Cors and I never invite them lol
I personally think it's a stupid thing to say COR/RNG using gun for TPing will be expensive. It will be no worse than RNG and RNGs don't complain.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zefiris
user: Zefiris
By Caitsith.Zefiris 2010-05-28 13:44:12
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Enternius said:
Leviathan.Dubont said:
Unicorn.Sedres said:
I personally think it's a stupid thing to say COR/RNG using gun for TPing will be expensive. It will be no worse than RNG and RNGs don't complain.

I think bullets are usually more expensive than arrows and bolts. Plus Cor will likely miss more shots than a Rng will.
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-05-28 13:46:59
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Zefiris said:
Siren.Enternius said:
Leviathan.Dubont said:
Unicorn.Sedres said:

I think bullets are usually more expensive than arrows and bolts. Plus Cor will likely miss more shots than a Rng will.
That's just the thing. Gun is better than Bow for RNG.

And missing shots has nothing to do with it, you still use the same amount of bullets over time, unless you're speaking purely for solo purposes.

As far as RNG goes, the guns are higher delay of course, but RNG also generally has 10% Snapshot merits, 15% Velocity Shot, 5% Zha'Go's Barbut, and 5% Mirke Wardecors to TP in which reduces gun delay from 640 to 416, which is lower than even a Hexagun's delay. So bullets will be fired much more often on RNG.
[+]
 Unicorn.Sedres
Serveur: Unicorn
user: Sedres
By Unicorn.Sedres 2010-05-28 13:51:09
Link | Citer | R

Can't say I've seen many RNG use guns over bow/crossbow, aside from the use of Culverin, so not sure where the the gun>bow argument comes from.

Not saying it's wrong, merely that I can't refute it.
 Caitsith.Zefiris
user: Zefiris
By Caitsith.Zefiris 2010-05-28 13:51:12
Link | Citer | R

Ah sorry I thought we were talking in the 50ish range. :\
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-05-28 13:53:19
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Zefiris said:
Ah sorry I thought we were talking in the 50ish range. :\
I was just speaking for the "COR is expensive" rebuttal in general.
Unicorn.Sedres said:
Can't say I've seen many RNG use guns over bow/crossbow, aside from the use of Culverin, so not sure where the the gun>bow argument comes from.
The only situations where I would consider using E Bow over Hellfire+1 are situations where I'm in AoE range using Gun, but out of it using Bow. And I can't think of too many AoEs that have a range between 5 and 8 feet.
First Page 2