Haste Is NOT Exponential...

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Haste is NOT exponential...
Haste is NOT exponential...
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 16 17 18
 Leviathan.Pimpchan
Serveur: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: pchan
By Leviathan.Pimpchan 2010-05-12 10:10:44
Link | Citer | R

Exponential is a cool term used by idiots that don't know what the *** they are talking about.

Haste effect on delay : linear. 0% > 1% haste cuts 1% of the delay, and 50%>51% also cuts 1% of the delay.

Haste effect damage : Invertly proportial to haste.

Most idiots claim it's exponential. Those person should go back to school and learn what exponential means. x->1/x is not exponential.

[+]
 Leviathan.Duvessa
user: Veronika
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-05-12 10:10:49
Link | Citer | R

One problem with your chart though dasva... A simple figure-check shows 90% haste is a 89% increase in physical attack speed. 1.111 / 0.101 (the number of attacks per sec at 90% haste, and at 0% haste) = 11. Since the numbers are rounded, it comes out at 11, which is your remainder from the 89% haste increase. If anything, haste has a diminishing return... Cuz that 89 is supposed to be a 90, though its as close as mathematically possible to 90 as it can be if you don't round any numbers.
[+]
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
Serveur: Phoenix
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-12 10:10:58
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Dracondria said:
Shut the *** up already Korpg, Jesus Christ.
Asura.Korpg said:
U mad?

He mad.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Serveur: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-12 10:11:01
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Your chart has 99% haste as 0 delay. That's what I'm calling wrong. When did I say the same thing? I never claimed 99% haste to be 0 delay.

Oh I see it's just a reading comprehension problem. Actually it says Old haste of 99% having a delay of 6. And that the new (ie old+1 as explained up top) to be 0
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Serveur: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-05-12 10:12:50
Link | Citer | R

At least, I think we can admit the mistake isn't as bad as using "their" instead of "they're" or vice versa.
[+]
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-05-12 10:13:42
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
At least, I think we can admit the mistake isn't as bad as using "their" instead of "they're" or vice versa.

I mentally choke people that make this mistake.
[+]
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-12 10:13:46
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

Their just mad cause they got sand in they're vaginas, maybe?
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-05-12 10:14:52
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

I guess you must be on a high horse, too. Dasva said I was, when I pointed out his mistake.

My goodness, a forum where the black people are the ones disgusted w/ poor grammar!
[+]
 Leviathan.Duvessa
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-05-12 10:15:02
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Kojo said:

That's just epic. Their gonna be so mad you used the wrong there their.
 Asura.Dajociont
Serveur: Asura
user: Jamehkun
By Asura.Dajociont 2010-05-12 10:15:13
Link | Citer | R

Totally off topic, Tiger's display thing is awesome. Made my day. Thank you. Continue with the hasty haste talk.
[+]
 Cerberus.Neojuggernaut
Serveur: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Neojuggernaut 2010-05-12 10:15:40
Link | Citer | R

When I saw Vegetto first claim it was an exponential increase over time, I did a bit of number crunching with a friend in game just to see if what he said was true.

Here is a VERY VERY hypothetical/controlled example. I am going to break it up into parts and then piece it together. Also, bear with me please, I have to use a lot of ^ keys to show exponents on digits and units.

(Haste*Delay)/60 = Modified attack delay every ^(second-1). Real time delay is just the weapon delay divided by 60 in case anyone didn't know; so....

Let's say, for the sake of simplicity, you have a weapon with 600 delay, you have no DA, no outside haste, and you consistantly do 100 damage on every hit.

(600)/60 = 10^(s^-1) between every attack *10^(s^-1)=1/10s*

Now take 60s times 10^(s^-1) and you get 6 attacks per minute since, unit wise. Multiply 6 attacks per minute times 60 minutes now. You get 360 attacks per hour.

Take 360 attacks per hour times 100 (average damage dealt per hit) and you get 36000 damage/hour.

Now, manipulate your amount of haste. I'll say 10% haste is now granted. So...

(.10*600)=60 >>> 600-60= 540/60 = 9^(s^-1) >>>
60s(9^(s^-1))= 6.67 attacks per minute *60 minutes/hour =
400.2 attacks per hour x 100 damage per attack =
40020 damage per hour

Last one I promise, 20% haste now

(.20*600)=120 >>> 600-120= 480/60 = 8^(s^-1) >>>
60s(8^(s^-1))= 7.5 attacks per minute *60 minutes/hour =
450 attacks per hour x 100 damage per attack =
45000 damage per hour

Graph the damage per hour and you'll notice it's not linear meaning the gains are exponential :P
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
Serveur: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-05-12 10:15:45
Link | Citer | R

their once was a man from america he was my best friend. one day we went to climb tree's and he said look over they're those people are in a hot air balloon there crazy! i looked him right in the eyes and said your my best friend, let me return you're kite.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-05-12 10:16:35
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Duvessa said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:

Lol, I thought he did that on purpose to illustrate a point... at least I hope he did.
 Cerberus.Neojuggernaut
By Cerberus.Neojuggernaut 2010-05-12 10:16:38
Link | Citer | R

Please forgive the ^(S^-1) *** units, I have no clue how to do exponent functions on this so yeah :P
 Leviathan.Duvessa
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-05-12 10:16:49
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
Graph the damage per hour and you'll notice it's not linear meaning the gains are exponential :P

As stated by the OP and others, this isn't a discussing of damage returns, but strictly the rate of attacks.
[+]
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-05-12 10:17:26
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Flionheart said:
their once was a man from america he was my best friend. one day we went to climb tree's and he said look over they're those people are in a hot air balloon there crazy! i looked him right in the eyes and said your my best friend, let me return you're kite.

Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-12 10:17:41
Link | Citer | R

I'll just leave this here.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-12 10:17:43
Link | Citer | R

leviathan.Duvessa said:
one problem with your chart though dasva... A simple figure-check shows 90% haste is a 89% increase in physical attack speed. 1.111 / 0.101 (the number of attacks per sec at 90% haste, and at 0% haste) = 11. Since the numbers are rounded, it comes out at 11, which is your remainder from the 89% haste increase. If anything, haste has a diminishing return... Cuz that 89 is supposed to be a 90, though its as close as mathematically possible to 90 as it can be if you don't round any numbers.
Actually that 1.111 and .0101 are 91% and 1% haste repectively. And that 11 actually means 1100% or 1000% increase in attack speed. Not whatever you just did with it
[+]
 Ramuh.Urial
user: Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2010-05-12 10:17:46
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Kojo said:
Asura.Korpg said:
U mad?

He mad.
Actually I think he is just annoyed at Korpg's ignorance like the rest of us. This is just another place to Korpg to attack Veg. We know it, Veg knows it and Korpg himself knows it.
[+]
 Leviathan.Duvessa
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-05-12 10:17:50
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Leviathan.Duvessa said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:

Lol, I thought he did that on purpose to illustrate a point... at least I hope he did.

I know, i was expanding upon the joke :o

People probably think we're weird, but i always have fun talking about game mechanics lol. I enjoy having someone to debate with.
 Asura.Dajociont
user: Jamehkun
By Asura.Dajociont 2010-05-12 10:17:53
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Duvessa said:
Quote:

As stated by the OP and others, this isn't a discussing of damage returns, but strictly the rate of attacks.

>.> Same ***. Higher rate of attack = more damage return.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-05-12 10:18:19
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
Exponential is a cool term used by idiots that don't know what the *** they are talking about.

Haste effect on delay : linear. 0% > 1% haste cuts 1% of the delay, and 50%>51% also cuts 1% of the delay.

Most idiots claim it's exponential. Those person should go back to school and learn what exponential means. x->1/x is not exponential.

This is the most correct, but at this point, it's semantics. My main point is that it isn't linear and the returns are increasing. As for the actual terminology, I frankly don't give a ***.
[+]
 Leviathan.Duvessa
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-05-12 10:19:04
Link | Citer | R

I think your chart was just very poorly made... Because that's not what it says at all, Dasva. Lol
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-12 10:19:13
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Leviathan.Duvessa said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:

Yep.
Ramuh.Urial said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Asura.Korpg said:
U mad?
He mad.
Actually I think he is just annoyed at Korpg's ignorance like the rest of us. This is just another place to Korpg to attack Veg. We know it, Veg knows it and Korpg himself knows it.

I just ignore it.. or jump in and agg ***on.
 Asura.Korpg
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2010-05-12 10:19:19
Link | Citer | R

You can also use 600/200 and get the same answer.

Making 1/(200/600) is the same *gasp* as saying 600/200.

You can put any numbers and get the same change. But that doesn't prove that Haste has changed.

Even using your example:

40% haste with a 1800 delay = 600
80% haste with a 1800 delay = 200

But what bearing does this have to Haste's effect?
Asura.Korpg said:
B) Where change of haste determines haste's effect. How 1% change in haste leads to a 5% change in its effect. Like your example shows. Show your work without assumptions.

It effects delay by a straight percentage. Your swings (delay) is only directly affected by a straight percentage. Haste's effect is a straight, linear return. You are saying that Haste's effect is exponential, which means that adding 1% haste would lower your delay by greater than the previous addition to haste. That is what you are implying.

But then again, you also implied Delay lowering by a set amount, meaning adding 1% haste lowers the delay at the same amount as the previous addition which is linear.

That is what people are saying. Haste is not exponential. But your return (damage over time) is, thanks to the change in your delay.

Learn to read.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-12 10:19:21
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
I guess you must be on a high horse, too. Dasva said I was, when I pointed out his mistake. My goodness, a forum where the black people are the ones disgusted w/ poor grammar!
That all you got? I said you were for continuing on and on about it when I said I knew the difference and merely didn't care to make the effort to use the right one. Or is your memory that bad?

Grammar nazi ftl

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Duvessa
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-05-12 10:20:50
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Dajociont said:
Leviathan.Duvessa said:
Quote:

>.> Same ***. Higher rate of attack = more damage return.

Once again, damage has absolutely no bearing on this discussion at all. You get a higher damage return by capping acc, adding attack, adding str and double attack etc etc etc. It has too many variables to factor into this discussion.

The entire point of this thread was to demonstrate the linear relationship between haste and delay.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kaht
user: kaht
By Cerberus.Kaht 2010-05-12 10:20:54
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Pimpchan said:

Or go back to school to learn to spell proportional. Just sayin...
 Cerberus.Neojuggernaut
By Cerberus.Neojuggernaut 2010-05-12 10:21:40
Link | Citer | R

If all that is argued is that Haste doesn't effect delay exponentially...well no ***it doesn't ><
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 16 17 18