Haste Is NOT Exponential...

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Haste is NOT exponential...
Haste is NOT exponential...
First Page 2 ... 16 17 18
By Veronika 2010-05-12 08:42:51
Link | Citer | R

So... Everyone runs around saying haste is exponential, but why is that?

500 delay with 1% haste lowers the delay by 5.
24% haste lowers your delay to 380 from 500.
25% haste lowers your delay to 375 from 500.

Every 1% haste has the same effect on delay.

The term exponential refers to a curved rate of return that gets either greater or lesser at a faster rate the more you add to it. As you can plainly see in the example i showed, this is not the case. If it were, then going from 24 to 25% haste would have given a larger or smaller return than 5 delay, but as we can see it's a constant.
Yes, obviously the more haste you stack the better because it further reduces your delay by a constant amount, but it is in no way exponential. Every 1% you add will have the same exact effect on your delay as the first 1% you added. So... Why do people run around saying it's exponential?

So please, use a different word! Every time i read someone stating haste is exponential i want to slap them. It has a constant rate of return. It is a straight line. It is not exponential.

In case people still don't get it... This is a graph of an exponential return.

Here is a straight line graph, which is exactly how haste returns act:

(Note that these graphs weren't made by me and in no way reflect the actual values of haste, or have anything to do with haste. They are merely being used as a visual explanation of the difference between exponential and constant returns. Haste is NOT exponential.)

If haste were truly exponential, then adding 1% haste would do something like lower your delay by 5, while the 1% difference between 24 and 25 haste would lower your delay by like 15.

[+]
 Sylph.Spency
Serveur: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Spencyono
By Sylph.Spency 2010-05-12 08:43:29
Link | Citer | R

Inb4mathfags
[+]
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Fyyvoaa
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2010-05-12 08:46:41
Link | Citer | R

[+]
By Veronika 2010-05-12 08:46:43
Link | Citer | R

The mathfags won't be able to prove it's exponential, because it's not. Yet they say it is, and convince the people who follow them that it is... Damage per second is exponential, but it has more factors than just delay.
[+]
 Sylph.Beelshamen
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2010-05-12 08:48:18
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Catnipthief said:

Actually this is the first time I see this thread, so take your memes and throw them around in the religious debates.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Tuvae
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Tuvae
By Ragnarok.Tuvae 2010-05-12 08:48:27
Link | Citer | R

/yawn
By Veronika 2010-05-12 08:49:00
Link | Citer | R

On a side note, though... If you scroll your browser up and down while looking at the straight line graph you can see an optical illusion lol. It looks like a curvy line.
[+]
 Asura.Korpg
Serveur: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2010-05-12 08:49:48
Link | Citer | R

wait, who said it was exponential?

Its obvious that Haste has a 1:1 effect on delay, but who would say otherwise?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Spency
By Sylph.Spency 2010-05-12 08:50:21
Link | Citer | R

It would appear I'm wrong!
 Unicorn.Ignasio
Serveur: Unicorn
user: Ignasio
By Unicorn.Ignasio 2010-05-12 08:50:34
Link | Citer | R

Thank you, oh wise unscanned person.
 Asura.Ludoggy
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2010-05-12 08:50:46
Link | Citer | R

Veronika said:
On a side note, though... If you scroll your browser up and down while looking at the straight line graph you can see an optical illusion lol. It looks like a curvy line.
Its true!
Making numbers fun for once.
[+]
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
user: Fyyvoaa
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2010-05-12 08:51:35
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Beelshamen said:

Actually this is the first time I see this thread, so take your memes and throw them around in the religious debates.

Maybe, but i'm kinda getting sick of people trying to shove math down my throat.
By Veronika 2010-05-12 08:53:32
Link | Citer | R

Seraph.Caiyuo said:
Based off of general trends I've noticed given the amount of haste you have you'd need a bit more stat-wise to justify the drop. As it is haste works exponentially so when you're dealing with numbers near the gear-cap you're getting much more out of it, being why you'll even see some with Blitz rings if it means capping out.
Fairy.Vegetto said:
Also, unless I have you confused with another poster, you've been a DNC advocate, if haste DID work the way you presented(Linear), and not the way I presented(Exponential), then dnc would be a rather useless addition to many party situations where haste samba currently kicks ***.

Just a couple examples lol
 Sylph.Rawkhawk
By Sylph.Rawkhawk 2010-05-12 08:53:53
Link | Citer | R

Veronika said:
Everyone runs around saying haste is exponential.

I don't believe this news.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-05-12 08:54:19
Link | Citer | R

I don't think anyone has ever said its exponential. Haste is better the more you have until the cap.
[+]
By Veronika 2010-05-12 08:54:58
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Shiroi said:
Nice trolling attempt, but while you explain well whats exponential, do you have any in game data that proves haste is not exponential?

Everyone knows how haste effects delay. It's a direct percentage. 50% haste = Delay x .5... so 500 delay x .5 = 250 delay.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Korpg
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2010-05-12 08:56:55
Link | Citer | R

Vegetto isn't exactly one who anyone can trust with math anyway.

His "formulas" he presents as his own are usually others, and when he tries to post anything of his thought, its always wrong.

So I wouldn't bother listening to Vegetto, he is a proven idiot anyway.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Serveur: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2010-05-12 08:57:24
Link | Citer | R

I've got a question, where's your maths to prove it isn't exponential?

I'm not arguing that it is but all you've done is tell us that blah blah% haste reduces our delay from x to y but not shown proof of that, am I supposed to just take your word for it?

You can't automatically see what your delay is after having haste added unless you've got some 3rd party program recording it for you.

Again i'm not arguing that it's exponential, I don't think it is but at least show some evidence for your findings rather than just some worn out maths most people already know.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Serveur: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-12 08:58:21
Link | Citer | R

Because it is. You are looking at it wrong. It exponentially increases your attack speed. You shouldn't be graphing haste vs delay but instead haste vs 1/delay

I could take your exponential equation and invert one of the axis like that and make it linear too
[+]
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Serveur: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-05-12 08:58:30
Link | Citer | R

[+]
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
Serveur: Phoenix
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-12 08:59:46
Link | Citer | R

See, the way I look at Haste is;

"How does Haste work?"

"How does posi-track on a Plymouth work? It just does."
[+]
 Asura.Barthalomew
user: Forby
By Asura.Barthalomew 2010-05-12 09:00:42
Link | Citer | R

Here is a theory... Unless you are a program writer for SE.. STFU!! You didn't write the code, you didn't make the game, you didn't design the game mechanics. So, until someone from SE comes in here and says if it's exponential STFU and play the game!!!!

/end thread
[+]
 Sylph.Rawkhawk
By Sylph.Rawkhawk 2010-05-12 09:00:46
Link | Citer | R

I don't dabble in the math of FFXI, but I always assumed it was in steps.

Normal delay,
Minus gear haste,
Minus spell haste...

So it would be somewhat exponential. If you had just gear, it would be linear to add more gear, but the spell haste or haste samba would exponentially increase.
[+]
 Leviathan.Duvessa
user: Veronika
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-05-12 09:02:44
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Because it is. You are looking at it wrong. It exponentially increases your attack speed. You shouldn't be graphing haste vs delay but instead haste vs 1/delay

I could take your exponential equation and invert one of the axis like that and make it linear too
But haste lowers delay. Delay is the figure used to determine attack speed. Delay/60 = the number of seconds required to swing your weapon. It has nothing to do with hastes effect.
Phoenix.Kojo said:

"How does Haste work?"

I'm Joe Dirt, I'm going places!
Asura.Barthalomew said:
Here is a theory... Unless you are a program writer for SE.. STFU!! You didn't write the code, you didn't make the game, you didn't design the game mechanics. So, until someone from SE comes in here and says if it's exponential STFU and play the game!!!!

/end thread
Nobody really cares what you have to say.
[+]
 Sylph.Spency
By Sylph.Spency 2010-05-12 09:02:50
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Kojo said:

"How does Haste work?"

Haha, something like this. It makes me hit faster which I like, so I'm cool with it.
[+]
 Asura.Barthalomew
user: Forby
By Asura.Barthalomew 2010-05-12 09:05:53
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Duvessa said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Because it is. You are looking at it wrong. It exponentially increases your attack speed. You shouldn't be graphing haste vs delay but instead haste vs 1/delay I could take your exponential equation and invert one of the axis like that and make it linear too
But haste lowers delay. Delay is the figure used to determine attack speed. Delay/60 = the number of seconds required to swing your weapon. It has nothing to do with hastes effect.
Phoenix.Kojo said:
See, the way I look at Haste is; "How does Haste work?" "How does posi-track on a Plymouth work? It just does."
I'm Joe Dirt, I'm going places!
Asura.Barthalomew said:
Here is a theory... Unless you are a program writer for SE.. STFU!! You didn't write the code, you didn't make the game, you didn't design the game mechanics. So, until someone from SE comes in here and says if it's exponential STFU and play the game!!!! /end thread
Nobody really cares what you have to say.

dude... you're from Vietnam no one cares about what YOU have to say...
 Ramuh.Dasva
Serveur: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-12 09:06:15
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Duvessa said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Because it is. You are looking at it wrong. It exponentially increases your attack speed. You shouldn't be graphing haste vs delay but instead haste vs 1/delay I could take your exponential equation and invert one of the axis like that and make it linear too
Right and reducing delay by a set amount doesn't increase attack speed by the same amount or even the same %
[+]
First Page 2 ... 16 17 18