Random Politics & Religion #18

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #18
Random Politics & Religion #18
First Page 2 3 ... 12 13 14 ... 65 66 67
 Asura.Saevel
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Saevel 2017-01-20 17:16:18
Link | Citer | R

Ramyrez said: »
Asura.Saevel said: »
The "economic recovery" has largely been confined to the wealthy cities with the rural area's being sucked dry.

How do you propose fixing rural areas?

Why would any business in their right mind go there short of resource extraction, which is by nature a boom/transient industry that will leave again once the resource is dried up?

You can't directly fix any economy, that's a very progressive thought process that doesn't work well. Instead you need to create conditions that are ideal for business investment, which is what jump starts an economy. When conditions are bad for business investment they take their money elsewhere which results in loss of jobs and cratering of the economy. Now don't confuse business investment with corporate profits, those are two separate though often interconnected issues.

Rural area's are typically dominated by small to medium business's, they don't have enough population to sustain a mega corporation nor would a mega corporation usually be interested. Why do are small and medium business's attracted to rural areas? First is there is often a strong sense of home, those people grew up around there and / or have deep family and community ties. Second is that rural area's tend to have low costs of living and capital / maintenance costs. This makes it cheaper to start and expand the business, you don't need to pay your workers as much nor do you need to pay as much in taxes and maintenance costs.

Now how does one go about destroying a rural community? By removing those few advantages for business's there, chiefly in the lower minimum wage, lower taxes and lower maintenance / administrative costs. Business's are rarely profitable in the first few years, it takes years to build up momentum to expand your market share and start seeing black ink on the ledger. During that time the business is living off of loans to pay it's costs. By blowing those costs into stratospheric numbers, via taxes, minimal wages and bureaucratic paperwork, progressives make small and medium business's simply not profitable.

I'll have an example, we'll call it the "Green Law" which requires all companies to document and track changes towards becoming "Green". Failure to do this would be punishable with a $200,000 fine per infraction. Sounds great right, we all want to be "Green" and environment friendly! Great idea to force those mega corporations to stop polluting our world! Yay rally the troops and lets go get them! Except Mr Big Corporation will just task their accounting department, who will then hire an intern or some other slightly above minimum wage person to do the paperwork, and if they need to *** they have the capabilities to do so. If the local "Green Police" show up and rightesouly "go get evil big corporation", the company has the resources to deal with the, the total cost isn't even a drop in the bucket. Now the small and medium bussiness's on the other hand are radically different, they rarely have a full blown accounting department and simply can't hire a dedicated "Green Law Accountant". The owners wife or some other trusted individual is all ready doing the payroll, tax and other administrative documents, they suddenly need to track all these new forms and don't know how. If their lucky they got an assistant who can help out a bit, but it's still far too much paperwork for them to do. So things slip, they are trying but don't have the manpower to follow the letter of the law. Those "Green Police", they know this and that means they know the small and medium business's are vulnerable to coercion and much easier targets the bigger companies with their armies of lawyers and accountants. So the "Green Police", needing to justify their jobs to their own progressive government bureaucrat boss's via TPS reports on the number of infractions found, will go show up at the small and medium business's door steps demanding all that paperwork that they couldn't properly do. They'll find the mistakes and start threatening fines and might even, if their boss's are really hard to get numbers, impose those fines and put the business out of business.

That ***happens already with the myriad of laws, ordinances and regulations we already have on the books. Obamacare was a huge "*** You" to every small and medium business in the USA. The mega corporations just ate the cost and passed it onto the employee via reduced wage increases and reduced benefits but the smaller business's simply can't do this. I know this personally as my own company, which was a mega corporation, did this. The "required" medical days were just taken out of our regular PTO earnings, which we were already using for medical things. We had to pay more and receive less care even though we had the international plan, our state side counterparts got hammered even worse.

That is an example of the kinds of ***city folks dream up that does nothing but damage rural communities economies. The wealthy (comparatively) *** in New York and California are pushing laws that would ruin what economy is left in places like Louisiana, Arkansas, Georgia and so forth. All in the name of "Progress", and if those ignorant rural peasants have the audacity to disagree then they must be racist, sexist, homophobic, bigots.

That is why Trump got elected.
[+]
By fonewear 2017-01-20 20:14:56
Link | Citer | R

This guy is still on the air...just think about that:

YouTube Video Placeholder
By fonewear 2017-01-20 21:05:46
Link | Citer | R

Ramyrez said: »
The "economic recovery" has largely been confined to the wealthy cities with the rural area's being sucked dry.

How do you propose fixing rural areas?

Why would any business in their right mind go there short of resource extraction, which is by nature a boom/transient industry that will leave again once the resource is dried up?

You can't directly fix any economy, that's a very progressive thought process that doesn't work well. Instead you need to create conditions that are ideal for business investment, which is what jump starts an economy. When conditions are bad for business investment they take their money elsewhere which results in loss of jobs and cratering of the economy. Now don't confuse business investment with corporate profits, those are two separate though often interconnected issues.

Rural area's are typically dominated by small to medium business's, they don't have enough population to sustain a mega corporation nor would a mega corporation usually be interested. Why do are small and medium business's attracted to rural areas? First is there is often a strong sense of home, those people grew up around there and / or have deep family and community ties. Second is that rural area's tend to have low costs of living and capital / maintenance costs. This makes it cheaper to start and expand the business, you don't need to pay your workers as much nor do you need to pay as much in taxes and maintenance costs.

Now how does one go about destroying a rural community? By removing those few advantages for business's there, chiefly in the lower minimum wage, lower taxes and lower maintenance / administrative costs. Business's are rarely profitable in the first few years, it takes years to build up momentum to expand your market share and start seeing black ink on the ledger. During that time the business is living off of loans to pay it's costs. By blowing those costs into stratospheric numbers, via taxes, minimal wages and bureaucratic paperwork, progressives make small and medium business's simply not profitable.

I'll have an example, we'll call it the "Green Law" which requires all companies to document and track changes towards becoming "Green". Failure to do this would be punishable with a $200,000 fine per infraction. Sounds great right, we all want to be "Green" and environment friendly! Great idea to force those mega corporations to stop polluting our world! Yay rally the troops and lets go get them! Except Mr Big Corporation will just task their accounting department, who will then hire an intern or some other slightly above minimum wage person to do the paperwork, and if they need to *** they have the capabilities to do so. If the local "Green Police" show up and rightesouly "go get evil big corporation", the company has the resources to deal with the, the total cost isn't even a drop in the bucket. Now the small and medium bussiness's on the other hand are radically different, they rarely have a full blown accounting department and simply can't hire a dedicated "Green Law Accountant". The owners wife or some other trusted individual is all ready doing the payroll, tax and other administrative documents, they suddenly need to track all these new forms and don't know how. If their lucky they got an assistant who can help out a bit, but it's still far too much paperwork for them to do. So things slip, they are trying but don't have the manpower to follow the letter of the law. Those "Green Police", they know this and that means they know the small and medium business's are vulnerable to coercion and much easier targets the bigger companies with their armies of lawyers and accountants. So the "Green Police", needing to justify their jobs to their own progressive government bureaucrat boss's via TPS reports on the number of infractions found, will go show up at the small and medium business's door steps demanding all that paperwork that they couldn't properly do. They'll find the mistakes and start threatening fines and might even, if their boss's are really hard to get numbers, impose those fines and put the business out of business.

That ***happens already with the myriad of laws, ordinances and regulations we already have on the books. Obamacare was a huge "*** You" to every small and medium business in the USA. The mega corporations just ate the cost and passed it onto the employee via reduced wage increases and reduced benefits but the smaller business's simply can't do this. I know this personally as my own company, which was a mega corporation, did this. The "required" medical days were just taken out of our regular PTO earnings, which we were already using for medical things. We had to pay more and receive less care even though we had the international plan, our state side counterparts got hammered even worse.

That is an example of the kinds of ***city folks dream up that does nothing but damage rural communities economies. The wealthy (comparatively) *** in New York and California are pushing laws that would ruin what economy is left in places like Louisiana, Arkansas, Georgia and so forth. All in the name of "Progress", and if those ignorant rural peasants have the audacity to disagree then they must be racist, sexist, homophobic, bigots.

That is why Trump got elected.

I agree and so does grimace:

[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Serveur: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-01-20 21:29:19
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
Garuda.Chanti said: »
Is America great again yet?
We will know in 4 years.
NO!

This is the age of instant gratification.

100 days*, not one more.

*really generous for an age of instant gratification.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-01-20 21:45:15
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Is today the day where people start admitting that whatever is on the WH.gov website is basically propaganda?
Like it hasn't been even before the interwebs were invented?

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Waitaminute. Those are actually important topics. Do you even P&R bro? Go find a Vox article about #GoldenShowerGate.

The search for Trump Golden Showers:
By fonewear 2017-01-20 22:07:43
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
Is America great again yet?
We will know in 4 years.
NO!

This is the age of instant gratification.

100 days*, not one more.

*really generous for an age of instant gratification.

100 days but I'm mad now !
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-01-21 00:35:31
Link | Citer | R

China digital times:
Quote:
Ministry of Truth: Handle Trump Carefully

The following censorship instructions, issued to the media by government authorities, have been leaked and distributed online. The name of the issuing body has been omitted to protect the source.

For all media, any recent reports about the United States must strictly conform with the central media; any news relating to China-U.S. relations must use Xinhua copy. Any news about Trump must be handled carefully; unauthorized criticism of Trump’s words or actions is not allowed. (January 13, 2017) [Chinese]

Donald Trump will be sworn in as president of the United States on Friday, January 20. Since his election in November, tensions between his transition team and the Chinese government have flared over a number of issues including Taiwan, trade, and the South China Sea.

真Since directives are sometimes communicated orally to journalists and editors, who then leak them online, the wording published here may not be exact. Some instructions are issued by local authorities or to specific sectors, and may not apply universally across China. The date given may indicate when the directive was leaked, rather than when it was issued. CDT does its utmost to verify dates and wording, but also takes precautions to protect the source. See CDT’s collection of Directives from the Ministry of Truth since 2011.
 Phoenix.Xantavia
Serveur: Phoenix
user: xantavia
By Phoenix.Xantavia 2017-01-21 02:02:47
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
See if you can spot the lie:

Quote:
POTUS HeadshotDonald J. Trump is the very definition of the American success story. Throughout his life he has continually set the standards of business and entrepreneurial excellence, especially with his interests in real estate, sports, and entertainment. Likewise, his entry into politics and public service resulted in the Presidential victory in, miraculously, his first ever run for office.

From the administration bio section
So, getting your butt kicked in the primaries doesn't count? Or was that facts I don't like 4 years when he ran?
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-01-21 03:06:40
Link | Citer | R

fonewear said: »
This guy is still on the air...just think about that:

YouTube Video Placeholder

So, Chris Matthews gets paid to whine incessantly and drop unnecessary Godwins? Heck, why aren't we all applying for that job? Chris is gonna drop dead of astronomically high blood pressure any day now and I'm sure they'll need a replacement.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-01-21 03:56:00
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Xantavia said: »
Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
See if you can spot the lie:

Quote:
POTUS HeadshotDonald J. Trump is the very definition of the American success story. Throughout his life he has continually set the standards of business and entrepreneurial excellence, especially with his interests in real estate, sports, and entertainment. Likewise, his entry into politics and public service resulted in the Presidential victory in, miraculously, his first ever run for office.

From the administration bio section
So, getting your butt kicked in the primaries doesn't count? Or was that facts I don't like 4 years when he ran?

His first attempt they deliberately locked him out so he droped out very early. This time he was very careful to go full public with the threat of running third party if the Republicans tried that ***on him again.

But yes this is technically his first ever run for Presidency as his previous attempt never had him past the initial primaries.
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2017-01-21 05:10:40
Link | Citer | R

Late, but was glad I caught Trump's speech yesterday. Very powerful speech. Made me feel almost proud that I voted for him. Course, he still has to back up all that, "This is no longer the time for empty talk." point.

He should be able to, theoretically, since he has congress and the court. Any word on that yet, btw? He slotting in that judge to finally replace Scalia?
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Serveur: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2017-01-21 05:25:39
Link | Citer | R

I was able to watch it live too. I thought it was a horrible speech.
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
By Asura.Vyre 2017-01-21 05:30:08
Link | Citer | R

What did you think was horrible about it?
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2017-01-21 05:39:30
Link | Citer | R

He drew some dark, horrible picture of America and posed himself as the saviour. Also the invocation of protectionism.

The part about rebuilding infrastructures was the only good one - giving the benefit of assuming the budget will allow such a massive scale restructuring.

(Idk anything about american roads&stuff but I guess it's a very important issue since it's been talked about so often)
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
By Asura.Vyre 2017-01-21 05:48:27
Link | Citer | R

I saw it quite a bit differently, obviously lol. To me he came as offering himself up on a platter to us, "I will fight for you with every breath in my body." It was a speech about unifying our hearts and minds as a nation.

About the only part that I thought he didn't need to have said is that he'll unite the civilized world against radical islam and wipe it from the face of the earth. Cause one, it kind of doesn't fit the whole nationalism bill, but two, it's an awfully tall order. I like the sentiment, but I don't think he's capable of that.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-01-21 09:41:20
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
I was able to watch it live too. I thought it was a horrible speech.

You are not alone.

Donald Trump Inauguration Address Compared to Batman Villain Bane’s Speech
Variety quoted on Yahoo News

Quote:
Did the Donald Trump plagiarize the Batman villain Bane in his inaugural address? Some people on the internet sure seem to think so.

The line in question?

“We give it back to you… the people.”
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2017-01-21 10:15:39
Link | Citer | R

He drew some dark, horrible picture of America and posed himself as the saviour. Also the invocation of protectionism.

The part about rebuilding infrastructures was the only good one - giving the benefit of assuming the budget will allow such a massive scale restructuring.

(Idk anything about american roads&stuff but I guess it's a very important issue since it's been talked about so often)

It had shades of Mussolini with the protectionism and savior of America element. For instance on the White House page with regard to "Making the Military Great Again" and the Navy. It focuses solely on how the Navy has lost hundreds of ships over the course of 50 yrs but makes no mention of how our Navy is 8 times larger than anyone else's.

Infrastructure is an issue Obama got lambasted for his approach but he wasn't wrong in that it needed to be addressed. The modern day system stems from the Eisenhower administration, no one really projected the population along with the proliferation of vehicles was going to be so huge at the time. Addressing the highways and railways and modernizing them would be a boon on all fronts.

My fear with Trump is that he is all talk with no substance and trusts too much in the people he's putting in command positions.

We'll just wait and see.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-01-21 11:05:46
Link | Citer | R

The speech is whatever you made of it. If you were looking for a dictator-in-embryo, he was there. If you were looking for someone who deeply cares about the people and isn't going to let government continue to fail them, he was there. Unfortunately there aren't many people looking at it objectively, so this is what you get.

For example, you have lines like this: "When you open your heart to patriotism, there is no room for prejudice." People on the Left are getting mad at him for that. Like, "We think you're a bigot, so you're not allowed to say things that are unifying and non-bigoted." The preconceived notions of him are set in stone, and everything he says is wrong as a result.

For me personally, I saw him give the middle finger to everything that is wrong with government while the perpetrators were sitting right behind him and I loved it. However, I'm not sold on his entire agenda and, like Vyre, I thought there were a few parts that were a bit too strongly-worded. Still, I thought it was pretty good overall.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2017-01-21 11:15:09
Link | Citer | R

"We think you're a bigot, so you're not allowed to say things that are unifying and non-bigoted."
If you stop doing things like this you might understand differing points of view better.

That is pretty much a saevelism™.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-01-21 11:29:52
Link | Citer | R

"We think you're a bigot, so you're not allowed to say things that are unifying and non-bigoted."
If you stop doing things like this you might understand differing points of view better.

That is pretty much a saevelism™.

... Okay, gonna try to not focus on the hypocrisy in your statement.

That being said, I didn't say the entire Left was saying that. I said that's basically the sentiment of some of the arguments I'm seeing. I love to discuss differing viewpoints with people who can view things objectively. They're just the vast minority apparently.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2017-01-21 11:32:17
Link | Citer | R

What is the hypocrisy there? Cause I sarcastically called out Saevel? We both know he has a tendency to often write things he imagine other people think without actually being real.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-01-21 11:39:58
Link | Citer | R

What is the hypocrisy there? Cause I sarcastically called out Saevel? We both know he has a tendency to often write things he imagine other people think without actually being real.

He's capable of defending himself. It just wasn't entirely clear what you were going for.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2017-01-21 11:43:04
Link | Citer | R

So you just threw a random word in there? I don't understand. If a point isn't clear to you don't you think you should ask to clarify(if you care to reply to it) instead of just calling it something?
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-01-21 11:48:54
Link | Citer | R

So you just threw a random word in there? I don't understand. If a point isn't clear to you don't you think you should ask to clarify(if you care to reply to it) instead of just calling it something?

It looked like you were insulting my ability to understand other points of view. That's where the hypocrisy claim came from. That's not to say that you're the most egregious offender, just that it looked like a pot calling the kettle black kind of statement.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2017-01-21 11:54:49
Link | Citer | R

Unless calling you like Saevel is an insult(which is funny), it isn't one. But I most definetely infered you couldn't understand differing points of view because of a statement such as the one quoted. But you clarified it in the post that followed, so no need to go over it again, I'm just backtracking.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-01-21 12:01:06
Link | Citer | R

Trump Forced to Give Up Phone
His beloved Android reportedly replaced with secure device

Quote:
(Newser) – Well, it appears the Secret Service has pried Donald Trump's beloved Android phone from his tweeting fingers. An unidentified friend of Trump's tells the AP the new president handed over his phone Thursday on the advice of security advisers. The New York Times reports Trump's Android was replaced by an encrypted device that received Secret Service approval. Barack Obama, the first president to use a mobile device in office, started with a "heavily modified" Blackberry before moving to a mostly disabled iPhone. The devices were used to check email and news sites but rarely—if ever—for phone calls.

This is all likely to cramp Trump's style. A Republican senator says the president was known for answering his phone even if he didn't recognize the number. He would even call back strange numbers that didn't leave a message. A former Secret Service agent tells Cnet Trump is unlikely to be able to use his new device for phone calls because they are way too easy to intercept. Trump's aides—some of whom are excited journalists and others won't have direct access to him—say he's likely to instead go office to office in person to get his "gossip" fix. It's possible he'll still be able to tweet. The Newseum in Washington DC has asked Trump about getting his Android to put on display.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2017-01-21 13:18:01
Link | Citer | R

Impotent rage on display today. The ultimate tantrum against the biggest of all strawmen.

Unless I missed the campaign speech where he vowed to keep women in the kitchen and take away all their rights.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2017-01-21 13:25:13
Link | Citer | R

Eh? Could you provide context?
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2017-01-21 13:27:21
Link | Citer | R

Well, this global celebration of "impotent rage" has millions of participants while Trump's inauguration had <200k. He is losing the body count in DC by an estimated factor of 2-3.

Maybe you could count the fact that the DC/Chicago marches have been canceled as a win for him. However, that only happened because so many people showed up that the entire march path was filled.

Sucks to be an unpopular populist, but at least he is uniting multiple generations against himself.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 12 13 14 ... 65 66 67