Forum Moderator
Serveur: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-03-28 12:45:16
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Oh boy, I can't wait for the rule changes to happen!
So you can complain more about how you or whoever would get banned for something someone else didn't?

Seriously my 2 year old niece whines less than you about more important things...
When the new stuff goes into effect, both/all parties in a shitstorm will be topic banned temporarily or until the RP&R reset.

The wall is the dumbest idea ever
Don't talk ***about Pink Floyd.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-28 12:48:14
Link | Citer | R

Anna Ruthven said: »
Oh boy, I can't wait for the rule changes to happen!
So you can complain more about how you or whoever would get banned for something someone else didn't?

Seriously my 2 year old niece whines less than you about more important things...
When the new stuff goes into effect, both/all parties in a shitstorm will be topic banned temporarily or until the RP&R reset.
In this case, I wouldn't be banned because I did not reply to this shitstorm. I properly reported Flavin just like I was supposed to.

Source

Rooks said: »
The point of it was because there's a number of long-running fights that aren't real clear who started it; so it's very much a "I don't care who started it" sort of deal. For example:

A: Martin O'Malley is the leader we need in these troubling times
B: A, your idiocy is matched only by your lack of hygiene
A: Blow me, B

then both go sit on ice for a while. Without A's retort, just B gets sent to the penalty box. Makes sense? The idea is to prevent the endless escalation, and make the punishment for even starting that kind of thing so clear that it acts as a deterrent.
Administrator
Serveur: Hyperion
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2016-03-28 12:49:02
Link | Citer | R

Hands down, the most overrated band of all time.

Not even saying "bad", just "overrated", and they'll hold that crown forever now that people finally figured out that U2 sucks.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-28 12:50:23
Link | Citer | R

Drama Torama said: »
they'll hold that crown forever now that people finally figured out that U2 sucks.
They will figure that out when Apple stops putting U2 on iPhones.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2016-03-28 12:54:02
Link | Citer | R

Hands down, the most overrated band of all time.

Not even saying "bad", just "overrated", and they'll hold that crown forever now that people finally figured out that U2 sucks.
You are an Apple person and you prefer cake to pie, so.. *shrugs*
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2016-03-28 12:56:00
Link | Citer | R

Also, Dave Matthews Band sucks.
[+]
Administrator
By Drama Torama 2016-03-28 13:01:29
Link | Citer | R

On this, there is consensus.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-28 13:02:11
Link | Citer | R

On this, there is consensus.
All American Music sucks

/throws down the gauntlet.jpg
By fonewear 2016-03-28 13:20:46
Link | Citer | R

Pink Floyd is not overrated the Beatles are overrated !
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2016-03-28 13:21:42
Link | Citer | R

The wall is the dumbest idea ever and idk how anyone who considers themselves fiscally conservative would think it's worthwhile...
I highly doubt anyone can consider Trump to be fiscally conservative. That's Paul Ryan's title.
I'm replying g to Altima as he clearly supports the wall idea...
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-28 13:24:49
Link | Citer | R

The wall is the dumbest idea ever and idk how anyone who considers themselves fiscally conservative would think it's worthwhile...
I highly doubt anyone can consider Trump to be fiscally conservative. That's Paul Ryan's title.
I'm replying g to Altima as he clearly supports the wall idea...
And I replied to you.

Also pointing out that Trump is not "fiscally conservative."

Hell, other than Ryan, I don't think we have a "fiscally conservative" politician anymore.
By Bloodrose 2016-03-28 13:27:24
Link | Citer | R

I'm not even sure Paul Ryan is as fiscally conservative as he makes himself out to be.

I mean, something has to give no matter how tightly you strap that buckle around your waist.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-28 13:30:56
Link | Citer | R

Bloodrose said: »
I'm not even sure Paul Ryan is as fiscally conservative as he makes himself out to be.

I mean, something has to give no matter how tightly you strap that buckle around your waist.
To be fiscally conservative doesn't mean that you have to kill all spending.

Pretty much don't spend beyond your means.

If you have $100 for the week, you don't spend $200 that same week.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2016-03-28 13:37:00
Link | Citer | R

To be fiscally conservative doesn't mean that you have to kill all spending.

Pretty much don't spend beyond your means.

If you have $100 for the week, you don't spend $200 that same week.
That's part of the issue. Saving money to live within your means can also be costly in other areas. Around here, a monthly buss pass surpasses gas costs *and* monthly insurance payments, by nearly 2 fold (this is from a to and work/necessary shopping viewpoint). But it's a perceived budgeted saving. Secondly, there are unexpected costs that can go above and beyond your 100 dollars a week limit, that *have* to be taken care of, or the damage from waiting, can cause even more spending down the road. There needs to be a budgeted contingency, and how much you can comfortably go over, without going for broke.

Now, talking about luxuries, I see where he stands, but that's really the only point he has that would make him fiscally conservative, but that comes with proper budgeting on what luxuries you can afford, rather than what is deemed necessary, and is more for a household budget, than a municipal, state, or federal budget.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Serveur: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-03-28 13:37:58
Link | Citer | R

buss pass surpasses gas costs
The alliteration is real.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-28 13:40:22
Link | Citer | R

Secondly, there are unexpected costs that can go above and beyond your 100 dollars a week limit, that *have* to be taken care of, or the damage from waiting, can cause even more spending down the road. There needs to be a budgeted contingency, and how much you can comfortably go over, without going for broke.
That's what rainy-day funds in government is supposed to be about.

Texas does a really good job at maintaining and keeping the rainy day fund...funded.

Although, it also does hurt some budgets to maintain it. Such as our Education Fund.

Now, talking about luxuries, I see where he stands, but that's really the only point he has that would make him fiscally conservative, but that comes with proper budgeting on what luxuries you can afford, rather than what is deemed necessary, and is more for a household budget, than a municipal, state, or federal budget.
It also depends on what is considered a luxury. The US Defense Budget is a prime example of that. Some things there could be considered a luxury to some, but necessary for others. R&D is also a prime example too.
By Bloodrose 2016-03-28 13:47:38
Link | Citer | R

R&D is something in the middle, as I consider it to be a necessary luxury. It's necessary given what it does to stimulate industry and innovation, but also a luxury because of what those industries and innovations end up being used for.

As far as education is concerned, and I have voiced this many times, it's often the first thing cut while being "fiscally conservative", and ends up being a much greater cost down the road as history can attest to. But here in also lies another issue I've also voiced at the same time - there are local and state education boards that incorrectly earmark those funds, and students, and many of the good teachers, suffer from not having it. A lot of the time school boards will earmark what funding they get for cosmetic updates over necessary upgrades, so they can pull in parents to enroll their child as a student. School programs and afterschool programs also suffer as well because of this.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-28 13:53:48
Link | Citer | R

R&D is something in the middle, as I consider it to be a necessary luxury. It's necessary given what it does to stimulate industry and innovation, but also a luxury because of what those industries and innovations end up being used for.
It depends on what is being researched. I don't think giving Swedish massages to rabbits as an appropriate use of R&D funds, especially if the premise of said funds is to see the effects of healing to humans. I mean, if you are going to do something like that, do it to humans and pretend you are actually studying.

As far as education is concerned, and I have voiced this many times, it's often the first thing cut while being "fiscally conservative", and ends up being a much greater cost down the road as history can attest to.
It all depends on results. If we can get the same results (either exact or close enough) with less funding, wouldn't it be smarter to fund less and get those same results?

Then that rises the question on the use of said funds. But that's a different topic all together.

But here in also lies another issue I've also voiced at the same time - there are local and state education boards that incorrectly earmark those funds, and students, and many of the good teachers, suffer from not having it. A lot of the time school boards will earmark what funding they get for cosmetic updates over necessary upgrades, so they can pull in parents to enroll their child as a student. School programs and afterschool programs also suffer as well because of this.
Such as football stadiums? Then again, most of those are bond-paid.
By Bloodrose 2016-03-28 14:02:51
Link | Citer | R

The Bond-paid stadiums are technically privately owned, rather than government paid. However, I'm not talking about facilities themselves, but the actual programs, and fair use of funds to actually fund the basic equipment or tools to help people find ways of succeeding.

I do agree, at least to some extent, that if we can get the same results with less money, we should aim for that, but that is rarely the case. My argument isn't necessarily for an overflow of money being dumped into education, but primarily to stop cutting funding to education, and within education, stop the cuts to actual core studies, such as literature, history, math, and science. These are the areas that get the most cuts.

Either way, we should be aiming for better results, rather than "close enough" to the same results, as it ends up lowering the over-all results each year. "Well, it was close enough to last year's results, we can give them less money again" but that leads to other increased costs of needing to provide upgrading for fresh out of school adults who would no longer have the desired results for employers to hire them. It also means paying out of pocket, the money they don't have, or relying on the government for assistance for loans they can't afford to pay back, and ultimately default on. This is where the increased costs to the system come from. It also means far less skilled or educated workers ready to be hired.

Obviously, volunteering is a potential solution, but that doesn't put money in their pockets when they need it. And volunteering is only viable when you have some kind of savings to rely on between jobs, so that you don't become rusty with your skills between employment.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-28 14:07:55
Link | Citer | R

The Bond-paid stadiums are technically privately owned, rather than government paid. However, I'm not talking about facilities themselves, but the actual programs, and fair use of funds to actually fund the basic equipment or tools to help people find ways of succeeding.
Stadiums still require the school budget to maintain, repair, and supply. Also, bond payments are made by the school budget itself (generally).

Bonds just help build it faster.

My argument isn't necessarily for an overflow of money being dumped into education, but primarily to stop cutting funding to education, and within education, stop the cuts to actual core studies, such as literature, history, math, and science. These are the areas that get the most cuts.
That depends on the situation at hand. I think we need a better investigation on education funds instead of just blanket cuts that we get in local/state level budgets. If a program isn't working, cut it. But don't cut the fund itself just because.

Either way, we should be aiming for better results, rather than "close enough" to the same results, as it ends up lowering the over-all results each year. "Well, it was close enough to last year's results, we can give them less money again" but that leads to other increased costs of needing to provide upgrading for fresh out of school adults who would no longer have the desired results for employers to hire them.
Again, something that needs to be investigated. You can't just throw money at the problem and expect it to fix itself.
By Bloodrose 2016-03-28 14:15:10
Link | Citer | R

Stadiums still require the school budget to maintain, repair, and supply. Also, bond payments are made by the school budget itself (generally).

Bonds just help build it faster.

My argument isn't necessarily for an overflow of money being dumped into education, but primarily to stop cutting funding to education, and within education, stop the cuts to actual core studies, such as literature, history, math, and science. These are the areas that get the most cuts.
That depends on the situation at hand. I think we need a better investigation on education funds instead of just blanket cuts that we get in local/state level budgets. If a program isn't working, cut it. But don't cut the fund itself just because.

Either way, we should be aiming for better results, rather than "close enough" to the same results, as it ends up lowering the over-all results each year. "Well, it was close enough to last year's results, we can give them less money again" but that leads to other increased costs of needing to provide upgrading for fresh out of school adults who would no longer have the desired results for employers to hire them.
Again, something that needs to be investigated. You can't just throw money at the problem and expect it to fix itself.
Those are exactly the points that I am making. Sometimes, in order to be fiscally conservative, you have to look at spending a little extra now, to save big in the long run. Or see it as properly investing in the future. But it's not always about spending more now to save big later. As you said, these things have to be investigated, and not every city, region, or state will have the same problems with funding, or spending habits.

You have to look at what the issues are, and open a discussion for viable solutions. If one region offers say,
curling
as a sport, and none of the students in that region have an interest in it, or there are no sports teams or scholarships for that sport to post-secondary, cut it. Use those funds within other sports programs offered instead. Find a way to get better results for those programs. However, the current solution is to keep that money flowing, by cutting funding to other educational departments.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-28 14:18:25
Link | Citer | R

Those are exactly the points that I am making. Sometimes, in order to be fiscally conservative, you have to look at spending a little extra now, to save big in the long run. Or see it as properly investing in the future. But it's not always about spending more now to save big later. As you said, these things have to be investigated, and not every city, region, or state will have the same problems with funding, or spending habits.
That's the whole point in having the budget to begin with.

Sticking to that budget is what defines being "fiscally conservative."
 Shiva.Nikolce
Serveur: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-03-28 14:21:57
Link | Citer | R

are you two almost finished!? save a little convo for your second date!

the thread is called Trump Talk™ not two jackasses argue about school budget cuts
[+]
By Bloodrose 2016-03-28 14:27:50
Link | Citer | R

And being conservative in your fiscal matters means knowing what to spend your money on. Even if it sometimes goes over budget. (which is why there should be a separate contingency budget that goes outside your usual budget)

With your $100 a week analogy. Some times you won't spend all 100 a week, sometimes you'll only spend 70 dollars. Any excess from that week should go into your contingency budget - This is something I was taught in my math class when we studied household budgets and banking. Again, this line of thinking is mostly for household budgeting, and doesn't really reflect on municipal, state, or federal budgeting, though I suppose in simplest theory they kind of do.

So, I suppose I should ask, for your analogy, is your 100 dollars a week budget only for luxuries, or does it include necessities? (Another thing I was taught was to separate the two, as necessities were considered money already spent from any income you had, and what was left over was the actual budget)
Administrator
By Drama Torama 2016-03-28 14:38:09
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
are you two almost finished!? save a little convo for your second date!

the thread is called Trump Talk™ not two jackasses argue about school budget cuts

Seriously, if there's one place it's completely inappropriate to talk about actual fiscal policy, it's a Trump thread
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-28 14:38:29
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
How dare you call Bloodrose a jackass!

Them's fighting words, buttercakes.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-28 14:39:26
Link | Citer | R

And being conservative in your fiscal matters means knowing what to spend your money on. Even if it sometimes goes over budget. (which is why there should be a separate contingency budget that goes outside your usual budget)

With your $100 a week analogy. Some times you won't spend all 100 a week, sometimes you'll only spend 70 dollars. Any excess from that week should go into your contingency budget - This is something I was taught in my math class when we studied household budgets and banking. Again, this line of thinking is mostly for household budgeting, and doesn't really reflect on municipal, state, or federal budgeting, though I suppose in simplest theory they kind of do.

So, I suppose I should ask, for your analogy, is your 100 dollars a week budget only for luxuries, or does it include necessities? (Another thing I was taught was to separate the two, as necessities were considered money already spent from any income you had, and what was left over was the actual budget)
Let's take this to RP&R.
By Bloodrose 2016-03-28 14:39:51
Link | Citer | R

>.> now, now, he only called me a jackass, not a liberal.

and I thought it was "them's fighting words, lambchops"

Edit: as much as I peek in from time to time, I'd rather avoid the clusterfuck that is RPR.

Sounds like a really bad version of Papst Blue Ribbon in verbal form.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-28 14:52:11
Link | Citer | R

and I thought it was "them's fighting words, lambchops"
Nik is my buttercake. Because Cake > Pie.
By Altimaomega 2016-03-28 15:54:06
Link | Citer | R

In this case, I wouldn't be banned because I did not reply to this shitstorm. I properly reported Flavin just like I was supposed to.

That's odd. I report people for what Flavin just did and I am the one that gets banned.. Hmmm.
First Page 2 3 ... 60 61 62 ... 216 217 218