First Page 2 3 ... 97 98 99 ... 201 202 203
 Quetzalcoatl.Pafos
Leonardo da Clippi
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
By Quetzalcoatl.Pafos 2016-10-05 08:48:02
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
Does it not occur to you that some people might actually prefer the low population servers? Did you not consider that they have their circle of friends and enjoy not having competition for events they want to do?

btw, to this guy:
Asura.Beatsbytaru said: »
Man it really does suck buying stuff from a better stocked AH and actually having people around to buy stuff that I am selling.

But hey, I have to wait 3 more minutes to do an event that sucks.
Sure, you have 2-3x more people buying the stuff you're selling, there are also 2-3x more people selling what you're probably selling.

It evens out.

This is still untrue. It could only really apply to well stocked items like eschalixirs or currencies.

Alexandrite are 200k more expensive per stack on Asura than Carbuncle. Why? The demand is greatly increased faster than a horde of people can farm to meet it. Beitetsu is the same price across servers and while our bynes are low yours are higher and while your o pieces are low ours are higher.

So that brings it down to the real difference. A populated server is more likely to have the item you want outside of these frequently sold items.

Productivity and consumption are highest on Asura so it doesn't just wash out comparatively to any other server. There isn't any great benefit at all to being on a smaller server for the past couple of years.
 Asura.Beatsbytaru
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Beatsbytaru 2016-10-05 08:55:39
Link | Citer | R

Does it not occur to you that some people might actually prefer the low population servers? Did you not consider that they have their circle of friends and enjoy not having competition for events they want to do?

btw, to this guy:
Man it really does suck buying stuff from a better stocked AH and actually having people around to buy stuff that I am selling.

Sure, you have 2-3x more people buying the stuff you're selling, there are also 2-3x more people selling what you're probably selling.

It evens out.
Aw how cute, you think it's a guarantee that your items sells at all on a dead server. Or that you could even make the item at all with no supplies on the AH...because, you know...the server is dead.
[+]
By Verda 2016-10-05 09:30:27
Link | Citer | R

Lower population does not equal dead, stop spreading lies.
[+]
 Sylph.Cherche
Serveur: Sylph
By Sylph.Cherche 2016-10-05 10:21:31
Link | Citer | R

btw, to this guy:

It evens out.
Aw how cute, you think it's a guarantee that your items sells at all on a dead server. Or that you could even make the item at all with no supplies on the AH...because, you know...the server is dead.
How cute, you think a lower population means no one is buying anything.

Absolutely precious.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2016-10-05 12:24:32
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Pafos said: »
This is still untrue. It could only really apply to well stocked items like eschalixirs or currencies.

Alexandrite are 200k more expensive per stack on Asura than Carbuncle. Why? The demand is greatly increased faster than a horde of people can farm to meet it. Beitetsu is the same price across servers and while our bynes are low yours are higher and while your o pieces are low ours are higher.

You just said it yourself:
some items are a bit higher, some items are a bit lower. This isnt a revelation.

HPB's are the same price on Carby and Asura.
Snowdim+2's are 280k on Carby with 20 in stock, and on Asura they're 130k with 2 in stock.

So much for that theory of "its nice to have a heavily stocked AH" eh? There are 40 stacks of HPB on AH on Asura and 26 on Carby. If FFXIAH's count of active characters is accurate, there are 0.467 HPB (40*99/8480) per active character on Asura and 0.539 HPB per active character on Carby. Obviously this doesnt divulge how many active characters are working on an Ergon, but the numbers show that there are more HPB per char available on the mid-size server than the "large bustling server with an active AH". There are also 26 stacks of HPB on Sylph's AH (which are also selling at a lower avg price) and Sylph is the smallest server of all.

So that brings it down to the real difference. A populated server is more likely to have the item you want outside of these frequently sold items.
The frequently sold items are used for RME's...if you're talking stuff like Stkini Rings+1 or Voodoo/Hexed-1, i SOO SO SO SOOOO often see threads of "Have X to sell, will/willnot server transfer" from players of all servers.
By eliroo 2016-10-05 12:31:14
Link | Citer | R

Productivity and consumption are highest on Asura so it doesn't just wash out comparatively to any other server. There isn't any great benefit at all to being on a smaller server for the past couple of years.

This argument has a lot of merit that shouldn't be ignored when it comes to this discussion.

There are a ton of obscure items that aren't used everyday.

Take, for example, the weapons needed for Oboro weapons or relic weapons. Those aren't used everyday but some of them are crafted only. A server with a smaller population is a lot less likely to have one of these sitting on the AH while a larger populated server is more likely.

I'm not going to pick a side here.

I think a smaller server is better to play on if you have a set group of friends who play on there but if you are a solo player you will want to gravitate towards a larger server as you have a better chance of finding people there.
 Quetzalcoatl.Pafos
Leonardo da Clippi
By Quetzalcoatl.Pafos 2016-10-05 12:41:40
Link | Citer | R

You just said it yourself:
some items are a bit higher, some items are a bit lower. This isnt a revelation.

HPB's are the same price on Carby and Asura.
Snowdim+2's are 280k on Carby with 20 in stock, and on Asura they're 130k with 2 in stock.

So much for that theory of "its nice to have a heavily stocked AH" eh? There are 40 stacks of HPB on AH on Asura and 26 on Carby. If FFXIAH's count of active characters is accurate, there are 0.467 HPB (40*99/8480) per active character on Asura and 0.539 HPB per active character on Carby. Obviously this doesnt divulge how many active characters are working on an Ergon, but the numbers show that there are more HPB per char available on the mid-size server than the "large bustling server with an active AH". There are also 26 stacks of HPB on Sylph's AH (which are also selling at a lower avg price) and Sylph is the smallest server of all.

The frequently sold items are used for RME's...if you're talking stuff like Stkini Rings+1 or Voodoo/Hexed-1, i SOO SO SO SOOOO often see threads of "Have X to sell, will/willnot server transfer" from players of all servers.

Because HPB and those items are very popular items.

Finding items for a quest, mass amounts of synth mats to make those crafted items people make threads for, etc. Simply can not exist to facilitate the same level of production of these items.

It is much better to be even a cook on Asura than on Carbuncle. Look at Miso Ramen. We sell out and you guys don't sell nearly the same.

Sublime sushi? Ours costs 15k more a stack and we have 0 up while you guys have 85 stacks up.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2016-10-05 12:44:45
Link | Citer | R

eliroo said: »
Take, for example, the weapons needed for Oboro weapons or relic weapons. Those aren't used everyday but some of them are crafted only. A server with a smaller population is a lot less likely to have one of these sitting on the AH while a larger populated server is more likely.

Sandung
Misericorde-Carby has 4 on AH, Asura has 3, Sylph has 2, Cerberus has 3
Darksteel Knife-Carby has 5, Asura has 4, Cerb has 1, Sylph has 4

"Dead" servers dont seem to have a problem making Sandungs.

Priwen
Januwiyah- Carby 2, Asura 4, Cerb 0. Sylph 1
Darksteel Shield - available via sparks

Terpander
Shofar: 1 on all AH's
Ebony Harp: Quetz 2, Odin 1, Levi 6, Fenrir 1, Cerberus 1, Bismarck 1, Asura 2, the other 9 servers 0. Among those 7 servers that have Ebony Harps in stock: Cerb, Levi and Quetz are in the bottom 5 of population, all sub 4k. Of the 6 servers that are 5K+ in population, only 2 have Ebony Harps in stock.
That kinda messes with your theory that "the bigger servers have an active populated AH that are full of items", doesnt it?
By eliroo 2016-10-05 12:50:48
Link | Citer | R

That kinda messes with your theory that "the bigger servers have an active populated AH that are full of items", doesnt it?

I don't think you understand probability.

Also when did I use the word dead?
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2016-10-05 12:53:13
Link | Citer | R

It is much better to be even a cook on Asura than on Carbuncle. Look at Miso Ramen. We sell out and you guys don't sell nearly the same.

Sublime sushi? Ours costs 15k more a stack and we have 0 up while you guys have 85 stacks up.

Are you looking at the same thing I am?

Asura sells 4.405 stacks of Miso Ramen sold/day. Carby sells 2.214 sold/day. And I dont know where this "we sell out" garbage is coming from, because ffxiah is saying you have 7 stacks on the AH right now. And if you're going to say "Asura sells more per day", well good job, you've established that the server with 2x the population will have 2x as many potential buyers.

85 stacks of sublime sushi? What are you reading? On Carby there are 48 stacks on the AH of NQ selling for 85k a stack with 7.78 stacks selling per day. On Asura there are ZERO on the AH...I thought Asura's AH was always full? hmm.

Though I am going to question the skillset of some players there if someone finds it necessary to buy three stacks of sublime sushi at once, they must be dying a lot to wind up needing 18 hours worth of food in one go.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2016-10-05 12:55:59
Link | Citer | R

eliroo said: »

I don't think you understand probability.

Also when did I use the word dead?
I'm sorry, items winding up on the AH is now "probability"? People selling items on the AH is now a dice roll?
 Sylph.Cherche
By Sylph.Cherche 2016-10-05 12:57:31
Link | Citer | R

Though I am going to question the skillset of some players there if someone finds it necessary to buy three stacks of sublime sushi at once, they must be dying a lot to wind up needing 18 hours worth of food in one go.
Eh, I carry a few stacks with me so I always have some on hand for whatever reason.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2016-10-05 13:01:58
Link | Citer | R

Even with all the inventory expansions, I dont have room to carry multiple stacks
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2016-10-05 13:03:56
Link | Citer | R

i buy every stack that's up so i can split them between characters and assume i will have sushi for the foreseeable future instead of having to go to the AH every time i leave town

it's pretty arrogant to assume someone's dying a lot because they were willing to spend 3 whole inventory spaces and 300k at once, oh the extravagance
[+]
 Sylph.Cherche
By Sylph.Cherche 2016-10-05 13:05:46
Link | Citer | R

Even with all the inventory expansions, I dont have room to carry multiple stacks
Sucks to be you, man.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2016-10-05 13:07:00
Link | Citer | R

also, since mage strategies for teles/zerde pretty much require an elevation difference and countless other NMs benefit from it, finding a suitable ??? can be a pain in the *** if you run events during a popular time

i know on leviathan(the second least populated server last i checked), if i try to get one of them during JP time there's almost certain to be a group already there and occasionally two
 Fenrir.Snaps
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Mojopojo
By Fenrir.Snaps 2016-10-05 13:12:49
Link | Citer | R

Zerde doesn't require any elevation differences. If you stun Just Desserts it shouldn't get any adds/have any auras up. You can stand right on top of it.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2016-10-05 13:19:12
Link | Citer | R

Not entirely true, bio aura is up on pop on my PLD quite often. I never miss a stun on just desserts because I'm a dirty cheater and I still often see it up. Just pulling up logger quickly from my last kill:
Code
[23:50:03.411] You have 30 minutes (Earth time) to complete the battle.
[23:50:03.446] The tribulens and the grisly trinket disappear!
[23:50:04.329] RUN uses Ignis.
[23:50:05.115] Zerde readies Just Desserts.
[23:50:05.490] BLM starts casting Stun on Zerde.
[23:50:09.092] PLD uses Provoke on Zerde.
[23:50:09.702] PLD uses Sentinel.
[23:50:10.417] BLM casts Stun.
Zerde is stunned.
[23:50:11.200] PLD's Bio effect wears off.

It wore off another time during the fight as well, at ~10%:
[23:51:41.921] PLD's Bio effect wears off.

Can't say for sure because I always used height difference and 20' on my BLMs just in case, but I was under the impression just desserts drastically increased the range(the couple times i've seen resisted stuns, the aura extended to blms at 20'+height).

Regardless, even if height difference isn't required by optimal groups for optimal setups, having it available can be a help to lesser groups even on things as low as Zduhac and the ???s are clearly a commodity. That alone is reason for me to like my smaller server.
 Odin.Llewelyn
Serveur: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2016-10-05 13:22:15
Link | Citer | R

Botulus mobs have an auto-attack that has an en-Bio effect I'm pretty sure.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2016-10-05 13:24:22
Link | Citer | R

Can't be, I don't filter damage taken on my PLD and I had not been hit by an auto round for the first one. Judging by timestamps, it had popped and I ran into the corner(#2) while it was stunned, ranging the aura.
 Quetzalcoatl.Pafos
Leonardo da Clippi
By Quetzalcoatl.Pafos 2016-10-05 13:25:09
Link | Citer | R

Because I regularly go to buy Miso and it tends to sell out because it is a pain to make.

Anyway, we are debating on a subject completely unrelated to this thread.

If people like a smaller or larger server, fine, but there are obvious pros and cons. It also has nothing to do with the dev tracker so lets not nit pick justifications for our preferences. We should all end the subject.
[+]
By Ackeron 2016-10-05 14:55:24
Link | Citer | R

Please keep calm and stay on topic. I'd rather not topic ban people from a discussion thread.
 Asura.Pergatory
Serveur: Asura
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2016-10-05 16:59:53
Link | Citer | R

I can confirm that Zerde can definitely get Bio aura without successfully using Just Desserts. He doesn't always get it though. Not sure what causes it, maybe one of his other TP moves.

However, the aura is small until a certain number or certain color of adds are out. I want to say it's not even 20' to begin with, maybe only 15'. If you let enough Just Desserts land, the Bio aura can increase to 25' or more and that's where height comes into play.
By Verda 2016-10-05 19:31:50
Link | Citer | R

Speaking of height difference locations that actually work, I only know of 2 (aka the one that will always be taken), 5 and 6. However, it seems 4 and 3 can also work to some degree? We've killed albumen and schah at 3 many times because 2 was taken, but I'm not sure height actually works there... meaning you can cast at 22' rather than 20' as that seems to be the magic number for avoiding neak's full dispel and other mobs nasty moves. Has anybody ever wrote a breakdown too of the height difference trick? It'd be nice to learn more about it, we usually just do what works but more knowledge can't hurt. I actually like the height distance stuff, reminds me of war strategy and how height affects it and books like the art of war :) In any case, more info on it is welcome thank you.
 Ragnarok.Flippant
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Enceladus
By Ragnarok.Flippant 2016-10-05 21:27:48
Link | Citer | R

Can also confirm Botulus still gets Bio aura when Desserts is stunned, and it seems to behave like Mellonia's. Its aura starts out weak and very small range, growing gradually over time (starts to reach 20' about 90sec in? at which point it's something like 500HP/tick) and can grow to reach the entire stage. Proc will take it off 'til next Desserts resets it, but we've had a string of fights where no procs happen, while other fights are non-stop procs.

Also, if you die, the aura range/strength doesn't reset, although not sure if we tested before or after it healed to 100%.

(As a note, we fight at 2.)
By Nocki 2016-10-05 23:24:11
Link | Citer | R

To extend off of what Flip's explaining, I've just deemed it a better plan to bring a WHM for each party to curaga spam through bio aura should we not land any procs. Even at 2 with botulus being at the very top of the hill, and mages being at the very bottom bio aura will still hit us and I never miss a Just Desserts stun (meaning he never has ads out), but it's possible some other TP move triggers it.
iirc our test on aura range was after he healed back to 100%, and it was still over 30 yalms and ticking super high.
First Page 2 3 ... 97 98 99 ... 201 202 203