California Banning Plastic Bags

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » California Banning Plastic Bags
California Banning Plastic Bags
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Gilgamesh.Tenshibaby
Serveur: Gilgamesh
Game: FFXI
By Gilgamesh.Tenshibaby 2014-09-01 09:34:31
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Zicdeh said: »
I find that conservatives have this tendency to find the most batshit insane arguments put forth by their opposition, and apply it across the board. (While decrying others doing the same of course, trademark double standard)

I've personally never heard anything about the Pacific Garbage Patch other than that it A) Exists B) Has a lot of garbage spread across a larger area, therefore the trash density is very low and C)Plastic entering the food chain is bad.

Kinda the same thing with Glurble Wherming. I didn't start hearing all the really crazy ***about it until I saw it put up by people like Altimaomega as "clearly what everyone on the other side believes." My personal sources only ever said A) Global temperatures are Rising. B) Humans are at least partly responsible for accelerating the process. C) It's not an existential threat, but it is a stability threat. D) Even if it turns out to not be something we can intervene in [Natural cycle or acting too late] it's in our best interest to understand the process to mitigate the potential damage, much like we do with any other natural disaster.

And then Alti Comes in with "Manbearpig" stuff saying the world will stop rotating, lose it's magnetic core and turn into Venus + Mars at the same time. Arguments I've never heard put forward in any academic circle.
You are describing a straw man argument while doing the same things you accuse others of doing. Also, lol @ "academic circles", as if...

Next time you accuse conservatives of extrapolating stupidity of some liberals to all liberals, please remember that that is the entire lifeblood of the Democrats. For reference, see Trayvon Martin, Bill Maher's anti-religious butthurtedness, most depictions of the South, etc. Glass houses, bro. Glass houses.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Serveur: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-01 09:53:59
Link | Citer | R

[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-09-01 10:06:43
Link | Citer | R

It sounds like your communities as a whole need work, not what bags your grocer uses.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-01 10:22:18
Link | Citer | R

I find that conservatives have this tendency to find the most batshit insane arguments put forth by their opposition, and apply it across the board. (While decrying others doing the same of course, trademark double standard)

I've personally never heard anything about the Pacific Garbage Patch other than that it A) Exists B) Has a lot of garbage spread across a larger area, therefore the trash density is very low and C)Plastic entering the food chain is bad.

Kinda the same thing with Glurble Wherming. I didn't start hearing all the really crazy ***about it until I saw it put up by people like Altimaomega as "clearly what everyone on the other side believes." My personal sources only ever said A) Global temperatures are Rising. B) Humans are at least partly responsible for accelerating the process. C) It's not an existential threat, but it is a stability threat. D) Even if it turns out to not be something we can intervene in [Natural cycle or acting too late] it's in our best interest to understand the process to mitigate the potential damage, much like we do with any other natural disaster.

And then Alti Comes in with "Manbearpig" stuff saying the world will stop rotating, lose it's magnetic core and turn into Venus + Mars at the same time. Arguments I've never heard put forward in any academic circle.
Strange, I could replace "conservatives" with "liberals" and "Altimaomega" with "Pleebo" and make nearly the same post.
[+]
 Leviathan.Syagin
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Kerron
By Leviathan.Syagin 2014-09-01 11:23:20
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Tigerwoods said: »
Sylph.Tigerwoods said: »
I always reuse my grocery bags as garbage bags
3 likes already.

I'd like to emphasize that I am still an ***. Couldn't give 2 shits about the environment. I just like free trash bags

Yeah not caring about the enviorment until that *** has to pay for clean oxcygen, i'd have you revist your current statement at that time.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Serveur: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-01 11:27:57
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

Strange, I could replace "conservatives" with "liberals" and "Altimaomega" with "Pleebo" and make nearly the same post.

The liberal batshit crowd are far less public and far less outspoken. It's hard to take a highly corrupt politician seriously, it's harder to attack the credulity of a guy living in a tree and eating pinecones.
By fonewear 2014-09-01 11:37:15
Link | Citer | R

I think we should ban COD it causes the rest of us gamers too look bad. It might also be bad for the environment also.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-09-01 11:45:57
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
The "devoid of substance" straw man is early tonight. First off banning the bags will not stop them from ending up in the ocean. So in a way, it's pretty pointless for CA to ban them.
Bag bans have greatly reduced their use in those cities where it's been implemented. Less bags = less bag pollution. It's not a difficult concept.

The other thing you typed isn't even worth a response.
Aw, the feels are hurt.

Right! That works great when we apply the same logic to drugs...

Jetackuu said: »
Technically your "myth" is still fact, all of that plastic is killing animals.

You didn't really read the article. It says pretty definitively that we can't really tell if the plastic is killing wildlife or not. Birds and fish eat the stuff, but we don't really know that they die from it's ingestion. But the point's irrelevant, so what if it kills animals? I kill animals everyday, I hit animals on the highway driving sometimes, I eat meat, and if I ever catch that rabbit ripping up my garden I'll kill him too. Killing animals isn't bad.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-01 11:46:42
Link | Citer | R

Honestly, the yearly rehash AAA shooters make all gamers look bad, so does the WoW crowd.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Serveur: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-09-01 11:50:42
Link | Citer | R

So whats the negative to banning plastic bags, or is nausi just crying to cry, as usual?
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-09-01 11:53:15
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

I get what your intent is, but that post isn't as internally consistent as you think it is, as Altimaomega isn't mentioned in the first paragraph. You're basically saying that Pleebo would be anti-environment.

C- for effort though, but leave the wit to the witty in the future.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-01 11:55:14
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
So whats the negative to banning plastic bags, or is nausi just crying to cry, as usual?

Jerbs? Don't tread on me? Really, it's government banning a product that isn't inherently dangerous simply because people misuse them. It would be like banning soda cans because some people don't recycle them. It's funny that banning plastic is so well received by the public, considering the possible outrage of the same action on other products with similar liabilities.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-01 11:57:15
Link | Citer | R

It'd be like banning guns because people misuse them, or cars, or hammers, or cardboard, or just about anything.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-01 12:02:28
Link | Citer | R

It'd be like banning guns because people misuse them, or cars, or hammers, or cardboard, or just about anything.

I'd leave guns and cars out of the list, they have a destructive power that is completely unlike plastic bags or hammers. But, you can always make the argument, with varying degrees of success, that if people can't be trusted to be responsible, they should not have those things. The only difference is the scale, which is obviously different.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-01 12:03:02
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Jassik said: »

I'd leave guns and cars out of the list, they have a destructive power that is completely unlike plastic bags or hammers. But, you can always make the argument, with varying degrees of success, that if people can't be trusted to be responsible, they should not have those things. The only difference is the scale, which is obviously different.

Just because people misuse them differently, it's irrelevant to the point you made.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-09-01 12:04:10
Link | Citer | R

It's the overall statist attitude. People cannot be trusted with the freedom to make their own choices, so we must make their choices for them.

Reprehensibly offensive.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-09-01 12:06:04
Link | Citer | R

So hurt feelings, thats it? lawl.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-09-01 12:07:53
Link | Citer | R

It's not really even an issue of misuse. Single-use bags are designed for just that - be used once and be thrown away. The fact that some people reuse a minority of the bags for things like garbage liners doesn't negate the fact that they're made to go right in the trash. They get tossed out en masse, recycling centers don't want them, and they can inevitably end up where they don't belong due to the nature of the material.

You didn't really read the article. It says pretty definitively that we can't really tell if the plastic is killing wildlife or not. Birds and fish eat the stuff, but we don't really know that they die from it's ingestion. But the point's irrelevant, so what if it kills animals? I kill animals everyday, I hit animals on the highway driving sometimes, I eat meat, and if I ever catch that rabbit ripping up my garden I'll kill him too. Killing animals isn't bad.
... really?
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-09-01 12:08:07
Link | Citer | R

You're comments are always good for a laugh Vic. Thanks for that!
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-01 12:08:46
Link | Citer | R

Just because people misuse them differently, it's irrelevant to the point you made.

I'm not getting into another gun debate, a truck or a gun has far more destructive power than a friggin soda can.

It's the overall statist attitude. People cannot be trusted with the freedom to make their own choices, so we must make their choices for them.

Reprehensibly offensive.

In this case, those people's choice amounts to killing fish and plants in international waters and possibly polluting the shores of other countries. I'm not saying it's right, it's just different.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-01 12:10:29
Link | Citer | R

I'm not getting into another gun debate, a truck or a gun has far more destructive power than a friggin soda can.

Yet it's irrelevant to your premise, therefore moot.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-01 12:11:42
Link | Citer | R

It's not really even an issue of misuse. Single-use bags are designed for just that - be used once and be thrown away. The fact that some people reuse a minority of the bags for things like garbage liners doesn't negate the fact that they're made to go right in the trash. They get tossed out en masse, recycling centers don't want them, and they can inevitably end up where they don't belong due to the nature of the material.
A lot of the stores around here encourage you to recycle them, and have bins set up for you to drop them off. Again: misuse.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-09-01 12:12:34
Link | Citer | R

You're comments are always good for a laugh Vic. Thanks for that!

No problem, being right comes easy. You have yet to list a single negative other than your fake outrage. Keep crying tho.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-09-01 12:12:34
Link | Citer | R

Gilgamesh.Tenshibaby said: »

You are describing a straw man argument while doing the same things you accuse others of doing. Also, lol @ "academic circles", as if...

Next time you accuse conservatives of extrapolating stupidity of some liberals to all liberals, please remember that that is the entire lifeblood of the Democrats. For reference, see Trayvon Martin, Bill Maher's anti-religious butthurtedness, most depictions of the South, etc. Glass houses, bro. Glass houses.

To be fair, it's not what you throw, it's the mass and velocity. I can throw a stone in a glass house with low velocity, and leave the structure intact.

Gilgamesh.Tenshibaby said: »
Also, lol @ "academic circles", as if...

That's just bad taste, but thankfully I know you're just projecting your own inadequacies.

The liberal batshit crowd are far less public and far less outspoken. It's hard to take a highly corrupt politician seriously, it's harder to attack the credulity of a guy living in a tree and eating pinecones.

That's probably just an artificial bias. If for example, you exclusively watched Sarah Palin's youtube channel, aside from being braindead, you'd also think the average Liberal Opinion was everyone should turn homosexual to control the pet population.

It's a little irritating to see people say I don't criticize liberal perspectives either, I've been very consistent in showing that my biggest criticism of liberals has always been the feigned compassion the show. It's probably what garners them so much support. It's very insidious and only obfuscates the fact that they're as crooked as your garden-variety Conservative.

But this just illustrates the point that people only read up to the very moment they validate their own beliefs.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-01 12:20:54
Link | Citer | R

Yet it's irrelevant to your premise, therefore moot.

What makes it irrelevant? People misuse all kinds of things, regulation is entirely based on the scale of impact, it's integral to the discussion. I haven't really expressed an opinion, so I don't know what premise you're referring to.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-01 12:22:46
Link | Citer | R

What makes it irrelevant? People misuse all kinds of things, regulation is entirely based on the scale of impact, it's integral to the discussion. I haven't really expressed an opinion, so I don't know what premise you're referring to.

It's irrelevant because it is, very rarely are things banned because of their actual impact but more of a perceived one.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-01 12:25:56
Link | Citer | R

It's irrelevant because it is, very rarely are things banned because of their actual impact but more of a perceived one.

But we're not talking about perception, we're talking about reality, plastic bags make up a measurable portion of land and sea pollution and cause very little inconvenience comparatively. It's why I said that other things that are likely as harmful would meet a different reception. You're basically saying the same thing I said.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-09-01 12:26:13
Link | Citer | R

A lot of the stores around here encourage you to recycle them, and have bins set up for you to drop them off. Again: misuse.
This doesn't even make a difference to the argument. If plastic bag waste can be attributed to a specific type of pollution, then it doesn't matter the intent of the use or misuse. Lead was undoubtedly misused when it was utilized in places where it inevitably leaked out into the environment.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-01 12:26:45
Link | Citer | R

But we're not talking about perception, we're talking about reality, plastic bags make up a measurable portion of land and sea pollution and cause very little inconvenience comparatively. It's why I said that other things that are likely as harmful would meet a different reception. You're basically saying the same thing I said.

I'm apparently not, because what I said just went entirely over your head.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-01 12:27:08
Link | Citer | R

This doesn't even make a difference to the argument. If plastic bag waste can be attributed to a specific type of pollution, then it doesn't matter the intent of the use or misuse. Lead was undoubtedly misused when it was utilized in places where it inevitably leaked out into the environment.
It makes all the difference: actually.