California Banning Plastic Bags

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » California Banning Plastic Bags
California Banning Plastic Bags
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Serveur: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-01 12:28:21
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Jassik said: »
Jerbs? Don't tread on me? Really, it's government banning a product that isn't inherently dangerous simply because people misuse them. It would be like banning soda cans because some people don't recycle them. It's funny that banning plastic is so well received by the public, considering the possible outrage of the same action on other products with similar liabilities.

It went so far over my head, I already said it...
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-09-01 12:28:21
Link | Citer | R

Jetackuu said: »
It makes all the difference: actually.
k
By Jetackuu 2014-09-01 12:31:16
Link | Citer | R

Jerbs? Don't tread on me? Really, it's government banning a product that isn't inherently dangerous simply because people misuse them. It would be like banning soda cans because some people don't recycle them. It's funny that banning plastic is so well received by the public, considering the possible outrage of the same action on other products with similar liabilities.

/sigh

and now I've lost you entirely, k.

You usually do better than this dude.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-01 12:34:45
Link | Citer | R

/sigh

Whatever point you were trying to make is lost in your attempt to not make that point.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-09-01 12:44:19
Link | Citer | R

/sigh

Whatever point you were trying to make is lost in your attempt to not make that point.

It wasn't lost, just you couldn't find it.

Would you like directions?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-01 12:46:31
Link | Citer | R

I couldn't care less, honestly.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-01 12:47:16
Link | Citer | R

I couldn't care less, honestly.
k.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-09-01 13:13:10
Link | Citer | R

/feels the love

nothing like plastic to tear a nation apart..
By Chyula 2014-09-01 14:09:36
Link | Citer | R

dumb *** bill, and for those think it help the environment are as blind and brainwashed by these dumb *** government. Now cali ppl will just double or even triple the paper bag to hold anything heavy, then next for everyone that reuse it for trash bag will have to pay extra for those big black trash bag which use more plastic for the same amount of trash put in side the trash can.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-01 14:21:17
Link | Citer | R

Chyula said: »
dumb *** bill, and for those think it help the environment are as blind and brainwashed by these dumb *** government. Now cali ppl will just double or even triple the paper bag to hold anything heavy, then next for everyone that reuse it for trash bag will have to pay extra for those big black trash bag which use more plastic for the same amount of trash put in side the trash can.

Paper bags actually hold more weight than plastic, they're just generally bigger. Besides, if you even needed double the amount of paper bags, it would be hard to say it was a negative impact, as they can be made of recycled papers and mill byproducts and are biodegradable if discarded.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-09-01 14:23:29
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
So whats the negative to banning plastic bags, or is nausi just crying to cry, as usual?

Isnt that the basis for most laws tho? Ppl misusing things or doing 'bad' actions with those things that contributes to an overall negative?

Shouldnt need to be told not to take the kitchen knife and stab someone with it... but there are laws about it'
By Jetackuu 2014-09-01 14:26:04
Link | Citer | R

I'd sooner trust 2 2 liters in a plastic bag than a paper, even then I still usually double up the plastic.

The only time I'd ever throw plastic bags away is when they're covered in food, or to throw one of my kid's diapers in, so it doesn't stink up the trash as fast.

But hey, I was raised to be frugal and reuse stuff all the time.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-01 14:28:44
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Zicdeh said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Odin.Zicdeh said: »
I find that conservatives have this tendency to find the most batshit insane arguments put forth by their opposition, and apply it across the board. (While decrying others doing the same of course, trademark double standard)

I've personally never heard anything about the Pacific Garbage Patch other than that it A) Exists B) Has a lot of garbage spread across a larger area, therefore the trash density is very low and C)Plastic entering the food chain is bad.

Kinda the same thing with Glurble Wherming. I didn't start hearing all the really crazy ***about it until I saw it put up by people like Altimaomega as "clearly what everyone on the other side believes." My personal sources only ever said A) Global temperatures are Rising. B) Humans are at least partly responsible for accelerating the process. C) It's not an existential threat, but it is a stability threat. D) Even if it turns out to not be something we can intervene in [Natural cycle or acting too late] it's in our best interest to understand the process to mitigate the potential damage, much like we do with any other natural disaster.

And then Alti Comes in with "Manbearpig" stuff saying the world will stop rotating, lose it's magnetic core and turn into Venus + Mars at the same time. Arguments I've never heard put forward in any academic circle.
Strange, I could replace "conservatives" with "liberals" and "Altimaomega" with "Pleebo" and make nearly the same post.

I get what your intent is, but that post isn't as internally consistent as you think it is, as Altimaomega isn't mentioned in the first paragraph. You're basically saying that Pleebo would be anti-environment.

C- for effort though, but leave the wit to the witty in the future.
I said nearly. There would be other alternatives, like anti-economic rhetoric and the such. It would be worded slightly different.

You obviously think that your post wasn't combative at all. If you didn't call out Altimaomega at all, you may have had a strong argument against the aggressiveness of your post.
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Serveur: Cerberus
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2014-09-01 15:09:17
Link | Citer | R

See this is why we need slavery back wouldnt need bags at all then
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Serveur: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-02 00:43:25
Link | Citer | R

Just burn all your plastic bags in a fire so they can't hurt any animals.

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-02 00:49:05
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Josiahfk said: »
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Just burn all your plastic bags in a fire so they can't hurt any animals.
http://www.projectgreenbag.com/plastic-bags-must-never-be-burned/
Well there goes that idea.
 Fenrir.Mariane
Serveur: Fenrir
user: leo
By Fenrir.Mariane 2014-09-02 02:25:46
Link | Citer | R

Quoting that site:

"There are so many plastic bags polluting our oceans and ending up in a landfill."

Explain to me how the bag can be polluting our oceans if it's in a landfill?

Plastic bags were prohibited here (my town) a couple of years ago until they came up with these oxo-biodegradable plastic bags. Plastic bags are in use here again but the shops are still encouraged to offer sale of reusable bags for the customers by the local government agencies.
 Valefor.Applebottoms
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2014-09-02 02:41:44
Link | Citer | R

Man, as a cashier, I have no problem with using reusable bags to bag with.. but for Christ's sake, PEOPLE NEED TO LEARN TO MAINTAIN AND WASH THEM REGULARLY.

Smelling mold and/or sour milk plus knowing I have to touch the bag to use it constantly (also knowing that I probably won't be able to wash my hands anytime soon)... I used to wear gloves at Wal-Mart all the time, but I can't at Target and it makes me sad. And inb4 hand sanitizer, that stuff ruins your hands, especially when they get really dry when handling stuff constantly already.

It really is disgusting what can get on those bags...even worse knowing people have food that they eat put in those same bags, sometimes raw food like fruit. The worst ones are the ones that smell like some kind of urine. X.x

Also, bagging with reusable bags can double checkout times (with one cashier doing everything, of course), especially when you have someone who has 200+ dollars worth of groceries and can be particular about how they go in. I've had people complain about others using reusable bags before because "they had to wait a long time". So there are downsides, especially if people don't want to wait and can't use self checkouts, even though it may be trivial.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Serveur: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-09-02 04:56:19
Link | Citer | R

Chyula said: »

Paper bags actually hold more weight than plastic, they're just generally bigger. Besides, if you even needed double the amount of paper bags, it would be hard to say it was a negative impact, as they can be made of recycled papers and mill byproducts and are biodegradable if discarded.

This actually brings up a point, paper vs trees and how wrong most suburban people got it.

Paper isn't taken from regular forestry, it's taken from paper crop tree's. They are fast growing tree's that are planted and harvested specifically to be turned into paper in a way similiar to how we grow crops for food. You don't clear cut an area, that would be stupid, instead you zone out and cut individual plots on a yearly basis and then plant more tree's then were harvested. We actually have more forestry now then before we started doing that as it's far more profitable in the long term to farm tree's then to clear cut land. And as you mentioned paper biodegrades fairly fast, it's not an issue for landfills.

As for plastic bags, they are cheaper to mass produce which is why everyone started using them. Banning them would probably be a good thing since they don't rapidly biodegrade and present a long term environmental issue.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-09-02 07:44:05
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Applebottoms said: »
Man, as a cashier, I have no problem with using reusable bags to bag with.. but for Christ's sake, PEOPLE NEED TO LEARN TO MAINTAIN AND WASH THEM REGULARLY.

Smelling mold and/or sour milk plus knowing I have to touch the bag to use it constantly (also knowing that I probably won't be able to wash my hands anytime soon)... I used to wear gloves at Wal-Mart all the time, but I can't at Target and it makes me sad. And inb4 hand sanitizer, that stuff ruins your hands, especially when they get really dry when handling stuff constantly already.

It really is disgusting what can get on those bags...even worse knowing people have food that they eat put in those same bags, sometimes raw food like fruit. The worst ones are the ones that smell like some kind of urine. X.x

Also, bagging with reusable bags can double checkout times (with one cashier doing everything, of course), especially when you have someone who has 200+ dollars worth of groceries and can be particular about how they go in. I've had people complain about others using reusable bags before because "they had to wait a long time". So there are downsides, especially if people don't want to wait and can't use self checkouts, even though it may be trivial.

Yeah, I'm not sure why people can't bag their own purchases in the US. Every supermarket in DK is self serve bagging. There is a divider down the scanned product lane and the cashier alternates each order.

It saves time checking out.

I'll find a picture somewhere.
Here we go, checkout divider, that can be pushed right or left to seperate purchases.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-09-02 07:59:05
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Mariane said: »
Quoting that site:

"There are so many plastic bags polluting our oceans and ending up in a landfill."

Explain to me how the bag can be polluting our oceans if it's in a landfill?

Plastic bags were prohibited here (my town) a couple of years ago until they came up with these oxo-biodegradable plastic bags. Plastic bags are in use here again but the shops are still encouraged to offer sale of reusable bags for the customers by the local government agencies.
"There are so many plastic bags polluting our oceans *AND* ending up in a landfill"

Since you missed it: AND.

Basically the quote is saying plastic is ending up in the ocean as a pollutant, and ending up in a landfill as well.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-02 08:17:20
Link | Citer | R

I carry all my groceries in hand made bags woven from artificial silk yarn.

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-02 09:09:48
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Kara said: »
Yeah, I'm not sure why people can't bag their own purchases in the US. Every supermarket in DK is self serve bagging. There is a divider down the scanned product lane and the cashier alternates each order.

I spent my summers as a kid facing shelves and bagging groceries at the family store... I despise stores that are self-bag.
 Valefor.Applebottoms
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2014-09-02 12:52:42
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Kara said: »
Valefor.Applebottoms said: »

I'll find a picture somewhere.
Here we go, checkout divider, that can be pushed right or left to seperate purchases.
We have a few people that bag the stuff themselves, and the great thing is I can usually help out by sorting stuff and helping put thing in bags as well that speed the process up. I just hate it when a family of 5 comes in and I'm left to do it by myself, while they look at me like "why aren't you going faster".

But yeah, urine bags. Why I hate not using gloves. ><
 Shiva.Viciousss
Serveur: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-09-02 12:55:42
Link | Citer | R

Pretty much every grocery store has self-checkout, the problem is, the AI is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE and people just don't have the patience to deal with it.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-02 12:57:25
Link | Citer | R

Pretty much every grocery store has self-checkout, the problem is, the AI is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE and people just don't have the patience to deal with it.
Elaborate please.

I never had a problem with the self-checkout, so you will have to explain yourself.

Most likely user error in Vic's case.
 Valefor.Applebottoms
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2014-09-02 12:59:29
Link | Citer | R

Actually, yesterday I had someone come in with a reusable bag made out of plastic bags.. it seemed like it was a knitting pattern that was used to make it or something.

It was awesome and I gave them an extra 6+ bags off (Target takes off 5 cents per reusable bag used) just for it being so awesome.
[+]
 Valefor.Applebottoms
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2014-09-02 13:01:32
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Elaborate please.

I never had a problem with the self-checkout, so you will have to explain yourself.

Most likely user error in Vic's case.
It does take a bit to get used to checking out, because you have to make sure that you put items in bags BEFORE you check the next item, need to enter codes properly, can't do gift cards on your own, too many out of bag items need assistance, etc.

Was at Crest the other day and say a man yelling at one to speed up even though it was his fault. Was kinda funny.