Link | Citer | R

So Officially down to 53!
 Leviathan.Protey
Serveur: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-09-06 07:48:24
Link | Citer | R

hmmm... he died to Yumcax. The question is, do we still count that. Because if so, then anyone just going /rdm or /blm could Bio2 it to death and keep reraiseing and repeat since there is no time limit. I suppose it is up to the OP if he wants to count that or not.
 Shiva.Hiep
Serveur: Shiva
user: Hiepo
By Shiva.Hiep 2015-09-06 07:56:39
Link | Citer | R

I did have DoTs on it, so even if it regened like a regular mob, it wouldn't have healed because I somewhat had claim on it. Would rather not do this multiple times due to the chance of someone popping up again and hitting it while I'm killing it which has happened already.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-09-06 08:43:03
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Protey said: »
hmmm... he died to Yumcax. The question is, do we still count that. Because if so, then anyone just going /rdm or /blm could Bio2 it to death and keep reraiseing and repeat since there is no time limit. I suppose it is up to the OP if he wants to count that or not.

In the OP it specifically says in ANY circumstance. It should count.
 Sylph.Gobbo
Serveur: Sylph
user: Gobbo
By Sylph.Gobbo 2015-09-06 13:53:13
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia said: »

New Category: Solo Speedruns
[+]
 Leviathan.Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-09-06 14:08:49
Link | Citer | R

Then all of the WKRs should never have been on the list. Nothing that has no time limit to kill should be on that list. For that reason the 2 escha dragons can be removed as they do not regen even when they depop/repop. If no one else shows up, you can literally just apply DoT, die, HP, return, repeat.
[+]
 Asura.Katairyu
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Katairyu 2015-09-06 19:55:57
Link | Citer | R

Then all of the WKRs should never have been on the list. Nothing that has no time limit to kill should be on that list. For that reason the 2 escha dragons can be removed as they do not regen even when they depop/repop. If no one else shows up, you can literally just apply DoT, die, HP, return, repeat.

As much as I don't like to complicate things, you have a really good point, do we allow solos if the player dies at all during the fight? I mean in any Battlefield fight it'd just boot you right? But anything in the open world goes unclaimed and despawns after a few minutes, so what's to stop someone dropping Reraise and kiting with any DoT over and over again?

I'd love to hear more opinions on this, I feel I shouldn't make the call on this on my own.

For the meanwhile, I've removed Yumcax from the list, but it might go back on if we rule that solos have to be done, start to finish, without any deaths.

EDIT: I've added two rules to the OP to help clarify things in future, if we decide that deaths during a solo are not acceptable then I will add that on as a third rule.
 Shiva.Applesmash
Serveur: Shiva
user: Hyriu
By Shiva.Applesmash 2015-09-06 20:09:34
Link | Citer | R

Protey's point is kinda moot since Hiep got up right away, it's not like he abused the fact that Yumcax doesn't regen by using 5 mins to unweaken/buff up/eat doritos or something.

Srs solos r srs.
 Leviathan.Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-09-06 20:56:43
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Applesmash said: »
Protey's point is kinda moot since Hiep got up right away, it's not like he abused the fact that Yumcax doesn't regen by using 5 mins to unweaken/buff up/eat doritos or something.

Srs solos r srs.

It's not moot, because it applies to the two escha dragons.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-09-07 04:44:25
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Nikia said: »
just for fun tried yumcax on RDM, died both times to canopierce.
using shield and /dnc was able to keep debuffs off but still took 2600 dmg from cano.
Able to improve that any or will it one shot me no matter what?

You could go /smn and keep a wind elemental out to soak up half the damage. Just use meds instead of /dnc for removal of enfeebs.
 Asura.Psylo
Serveur: Asura
user: psylo
By Asura.Psylo 2015-09-07 04:49:17
Link | Citer | R

same for me for yumcax, have same issue

Post deleted by User.
By BlaTheTaru 2015-09-07 15:38:34
Link | Citer | R

Pretty much this. While I think things with auto RR shouldn't count such as a Abyssea and WoE.

Hiep got curb stomped then proceeded to raise and resume the fight. If this were a duo would you get disqualified if you slept the mob to raise a ko'd ally?
 Leviathan.Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-09-07 16:44:35
Link | Citer | R

It just seems to me that if you die, you have lost the fight, the end. Reraising and continuing the fight is a cheat mechanic that shouldn't be allowed.
 Ramuh.Austar
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2015-09-07 16:46:55
Link | Citer | R

So every solo of Brothers ENM by BLM that died after killing one to rest MP doesn't count as a win?
 Leviathan.Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-09-07 16:49:32
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Austar said: »
So every solo of Brothers ENM by BLM that died after killing one to rest MP doesn't count as a win?

Shouldn't count as a legitimate solo, no. If you die, you die. You have lost the fight.

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Lasareth
Serveur: Cerberus
user: lasareth
By Cerberus.Lasareth 2015-09-07 16:54:42
Link | Citer | R

People have different definitions of success. If you achieve your goal and get the rewards, I would personally consider that a success.

Escha dragons can be soloed by dot and reraise, yes. To some people that may not be a real solo, but if you're going to go into something by yourself and win it by yourself, I think by definition that is a solo.

Strictly speaking, losing a fight means not fulfilling the requirements to get the rewards or reach the goal, i.e., running out of time in time-limited conditions.

Maybe these "solos" should be sub-categorized if it's that huge of a deal.
 Bahamut.Eorphere
Serveur: Bahamut
user: eorphere
By Bahamut.Eorphere 2015-09-07 16:58:51
Link | Citer | R

Player 1: I died a bunch of times, so I don't consider it a solo
Player 2: Did you do it by yourself?
player 1: Yeah, but it took 5 hours... I am just lucky the mob didn't regen
Player 2: so how is that not a solo?
Player 1: It took me 5 hours and I died like 20 times
Player 2: Did anyone else come and touch it? Did you use trusts? Did you use pets or meds?
Player 1: No to all of those things.... but I died and it took forever.
Player 2: You got the title and NOBODY else helped? You killed it from 100% to 0%?
Player 1: Yes
Player 2: Hmmm...

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Eorphere
By Bahamut.Eorphere 2015-09-07 17:06:38
Link | Citer | R

Josiahkf said: »
If something never regens when it idles and there is no time limit, a huge amount of difficultly is removed from the fight.

It's still a solo but it's like comparing store bought Mac & cheese to homemade lasagna; They are both pasta meals technically sure but don't say they're about the same work.

I agree 100%

In fact, I wish I could agree more than 100%
 Bahamut.Eorphere
By Bahamut.Eorphere 2015-09-07 17:13:19
Link | Citer | R

Shouldn't count as a legitimate solo, no. If you die, you die. You have lost the fight.

If you die out of range so you can reraise in a bcnm... you certainly haven't lost... yet

Or did you beat it, but not solo it... even though it was only you?
 Leviathan.Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-09-07 17:16:08
Link | Citer | R

I view it as once you die and reraise you are no longer you. You are a new life attempting the fight. That is why I call it not a legitimate solo.
 Ramuh.Austar
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2015-09-07 17:18:46
Link | Citer | R

That is the most ridiculous reasoning I have ever heard.
[+]
 Cerberus.Lasareth
Serveur: Cerberus
user: lasareth
By Cerberus.Lasareth 2015-09-07 17:19:01
Link | Citer | R

I guess I'm confused about the purpose of the thread. Is this a quantification what can be completed solo (i.e. done with one person) or a qualification of what fights need skill to solo?

The former doesn't need qualification. You either do it by yourself or you don't. If it's the latter, then without standards by which to evaluate each circumstance, people are going to be arguing forever about whether it's legit or not.
 Bahamut.Eorphere
By Bahamut.Eorphere 2015-09-07 17:19:40
Link | Citer | R

I view it as once you die and reraise you are no longer you. You are a new life attempting the fight. That is why I call it not a legitimate solo.

This is soloing it with X amount of deaths... if you want to get into the philosophy of personal identify then the second you have a different amount of HP or you are at a different positional coordinate... you are no longer who you were the moment before

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Eorphere
By Bahamut.Eorphere 2015-09-07 17:22:05
Link | Citer | R

That is the most ridiculous reasoning I have ever heard.

I like it, though I strongly disagree :)
 Leviathan.Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-09-07 17:23:13
Link | Citer | R

Another way to look at it is this:

Situation 1. You only cast Bio2 on the NM. Then you die. Reraise. And cast Bio2 again, die, Reraise, etc. until the NM is dead. The only damage you did was with Bio2.

Situation 2. First person casts Bio2, dies. Bio2 wears off and second person casts Bio2 then dies. Bio2 wears off and third person casts Bio2 then dies, etc. Then it comes back to the original person's turn when the NM is at 1% and he casts Bio2 and the NM dies. The only damage done by all these people was with Bio2.

Situation 1 and Situation 2 are identical for all intensive purposes.
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 20 21 22