The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 111 112 113 ... 446 447 448
 Quetzalcoatl.Efan
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Efan
By Quetzalcoatl.Efan 2014-08-15 05:19:10
Link | Citer | R

Just out of curiosity is the OaT WKR sword worth using ever or not worth it?
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
Serveur: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-08-15 06:49:47
Link | Citer | R

Only on stuff like Abyssea.

For ***where you need accuracy.

No.
By kenshynofshiva 2014-08-15 15:25:59
Link | Citer | R

Best sudden lunge stun setup?
 Quetzalcoatl.Nelinah
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Liriel
By Quetzalcoatl.Nelinah 2014-08-15 18:56:31
Link | Citer | R

I didn't honestly read through all hundred and twelve replies to your post, but I thought since you haven't Edited it yet I should point out:
You have an unnecessary spell in both your DD spellsets
Also I've starred the other spells I discuss later on.

"High Tier DD Spec
Point Requirement: 70

Quad. Continuum
Delta Thrust
Barbed Crescent
Empty Thrash
Heavy Strike
Thrashing Assault
Sudden Lunge
Glutinous Dart
*Frenetic Rip
*Vanity Dive

*Nat. Meditation
Erratic Flutter
Winds of Promy.
*White Wind
*Frightful Roar
*Cocoon

Animating Wail <------Erratic Flutter does what this spell does for Dual wield, so I would personally eliminate this spell from your set.

Blazing Bound
Mortal Ray
Fantod"

-Just for discussion sake, Vanity dive/Frenetic Rip is mainly unnecessary, Sub DNC gets you accuracy bonus anyhow as well as Skillchain bonus which is nice. So those spells are mainly useful for WAR sub.
-Personally I'm also not a fan of Frightful Roar, you can use Bilgestorm for that, and sub in Actinic Burst for a flash effect.
- I also ditch White Wind/Natures Meditation, for Plenilune Embrace, Does what natures does, but heals, and gives you Matk up as well. And of course, its a 700hp cure or more if you use a cure set.
-I prefer to set Asuran Claws/Dark Orb if i plan on taking hits, The counter rate you receive is minimal.
-I set occultation, because I like to mitigate damage taken 100% for eight to ten shadows, rather than rely on defence boosting to mitigate some of the damage we take.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-08-15 19:00:42
Link | Citer | R

-erratic flutter doesn't make dual wield

-why are you subbing dnc outside of dyna

-bilgestorm only lasts 30-60 seconds every 5mins and can miss. having benthic typhoon or frightful roar available when bilgestorm isn't is a major boon. if you're using a flash spell it should be retinal glare

-nature's meditation is so much better than plenilune embrace that it isn't even a debate

-white wind is better if you're healing more than 1 person, otherwise magic fruit is more efficient than plenilune embrace

-if it's minimal then why are you setting it

-it's too expensive and is wiped by AoEs, rarely valuable as a mitigation spell compared to harden shell or cocoon, especially without tizona
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2014-08-15 19:17:25
Link | Citer | R

kenshynofshiva said: »

MACC gear which happens to have haste on it since ilevel.
By kenshynofshiva 2014-08-15 19:42:05
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Draylo said: »

Cool no issue with acc tho if just use macc that u suck message always hurt my feeling...
 Sylph.Hyunkyl
Serveur: Sylph
user: hyunkyl
By Sylph.Hyunkyl 2014-08-15 20:09:17
Link | Citer | R

Did the merits change due to the blue magic changes or is it still 5 blu attack and macc?
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-08-15 20:10:56
Link | Citer | R

if anything, the % increase from potency merits is even more valuable now. magic accuracy vs chain affinity recast is personal preference
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2014-08-15 20:27:34
Link | Citer | R

Cool no issue with acc tho if just use macc that u suck message always hurt my feeling...

Uh what?

Quote:
Did the merits change due to the blue magic changes or is it still 5 blu attack and macc?

I'd stick with those.
By Selindrile 2014-08-16 06:29:22
Link | Citer | R

Uh what?

What he means is, "Missing the physical accuracy check on sudden lunge sucks as much as missing the magical one does." But as Draylo is well aware and probably would've responded if he knew what was being said, it's pretty rough to land Sudden Lunge on anything that requires both Acc and Macc gear... I have a hybrid set for it myself, but, meh... usually feels very lackluster.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2014-08-16 06:48:35
Link | Citer | R

You shouldn't have acc issues on most things you can even land the stun effect on. I use a good bit of ilevel gear so it isn't like you are losing a ton of acc either.
By Rydstrom 2014-08-16 08:48:59
Link | Citer | R

where's the sword drop from?
 Asura.Ackeronll
Serveur: Asura
user: Ackeron
By Asura.Ackeronll 2014-08-16 08:58:41
Link | Citer | R

Rydstrom said: »
where's the sword drop from?
Which sword you looking for?
By Rydstrom 2014-08-16 09:46:31
Link | Citer | R

new skirmish high dmg sword
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-08-16 09:49:45
Link | Citer | R

We got it in Rala, but I'm seeing reports for all weapons from both zones so I guess it doesn't matter which one you go to.
 Ragnarok.Luloo
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Lulo
By Ragnarok.Luloo 2014-08-19 09:01:41
Link | Citer | R

Just saw a Cleidblabla sword with Acc+12 Att+12 DA+3.
Any chance this can beat Uson in main?
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-08-19 13:51:34
Link | Citer | R

Alluvion BLU weapon was capable of a Refresh+1 augment yea?
 Asura.Calatilla
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2014-08-19 15:07:43
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
-
-why are you subbing dnc outside of dyna .

People have different playstyles, Dynamis isn't the only place /dnc is useful.
-
If you're using a flash spell it should be retinal glare

Actinic Burst is one of 2 spells for auto-refresh.
By Refia1 2014-08-19 15:08:51
Link | Citer | R

How much do atk effect things now? I thought we would have a shift in gear changes but I don't see it talked much? Like cuatada belt is 6 str and 15 atk????
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-08-19 15:21:58
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Calatilla said: »
-
-why are you subbing dnc outside of dyna .

People have different playstyles, Dynamis isn't the only place /dnc is useful.
-
If you're using a flash spell it should be retinal glare

Actinic Burst is one of 2 spells for auto-refresh.

Auto-refresh is over rated, Magic Hammer and Startegic usage o this is all the refresh you really need, and if you need some extra using the low mp cost spells that deal high damage, coupled with the Battery Charge - Should be all the mp you need.

Further more, asking about spellsets / sj's is somewhat subject to gear and what you are doing, it's not the most effective method and if we aren't looking at the most effective method for doing things why even bother arguing about gearsets as optimal isn't what you're after, which is fine, but its not optimal and a different SJ / SPellsets give you better stats / more utility options and overall Damage is higher.

If you have a "playstyle" then its your own.

FURTHER MORE he argued about using "Erratic Flutter" to replace Animating Wail for DUal wield, IF YOU ARE SETTING DW SPELLS WHY ARE YOU SUBBING DANACER?! Its a Stupid option if you are looking at DW spells as that's a waste of x number slots.

If you are setting Dual Wield spells then /dnc gives you very little. (samba and tp cures are meh compared to Sanguine blade which completely destroys dnc attempts to cure.)
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Serveur: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-08-19 15:25:34
Link | Citer | R

Doesn't /dnc only give DW2 anyway? It's a pretty big DPS loss to not set DW if you're subbing ANYTHING besides NIN, which is a whole different role anyway.

The idea that "playstyle" is justification for making a job look bad by doing it wrong is irritating. Playing BLU incorrectly in a party is the reason that serious BLU's have trouble being seen as legitimate DD's.
[+]
 Asura.Calatilla
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2014-08-19 15:28:38
Link | Citer | R

I never said anything about dual wield.

And there is nothing wrong with subbing /dnc if you're solo, winds of promy doesn't get rid of silence, paralyze, curse, or virus. Haste Samba isn't too bad either. And sanguine blade doesn't work on everything.

Like I said, it depends what you're doing.

Odin.Jassik said: »
Doesn't /dnc only give DW2 anyway? It's a pretty big DPS loss to not set DW if you're subbing ANYTHING besides NIN, which is a whole different role anyway.

The idea that "playstyle" is justification for making a job look bad by doing it wrong is irritating. Playing BLU incorrectly in a party is the reason that serious BLU's have trouble being seen as legitimate DD's.

In a group setting you wouldn't be subbing dnc anyway. But I`m talking about solo play.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-08-19 15:31:11
Link | Citer | R

And there is nothing wrong with subbing /dnc if you're solo, winds of promy doesn't get rid of silence, paralyze, curse, or virus. Haste Samba isn't too bad either. And sanguine blade doesn't work on everything.

/DNC with DW2 is basically trading 5% DW for 5% JA haste. There are very few situations where /DNC is superior to /NIN or /RDM for solo play. If status removal is key to your survival, you can always /WHM and carry echos, which you should be carrying anyway.
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-08-19 15:37:30
Link | Citer | R

Merely pointing out the post had comments regarding Dual Wield and subbing dancer, and although his post isn't specifically directed at that part, it something that should be taken into account when picking your Sub Jobs, I would also question why he subbed Dancer and had all the DW spells equipped for a trait he already had, but when he questions other spell slots (why Question the haste spell and not the fact you have DW3).

I personally don't agree with picking 1 part of a post to argue with when it was part of a bigger picture.

And with regards to SIlence - Echo Drops, Paralyze and what not I'd agree with you to some degree but if you're fighting something thats silence's alot or paralyzes alot, its normally a mage, and you can stun all those moves.

if you incapable at stunning, or you don't have trusts (area w.e) or you are mid action ~ fine, but that's probably not the environment you'd take a BLU to without some form of support.

And those mobs probably are single target casts and /nin would be a beter choice ~ arguably.

Haste samba with DW armors won't actually provide that much.

How Haste and Dual Wield Works

Quote:
43.75 Haste 25% gear 68.75% haste (or delay reduction) With this in mind, a NIN should be capped with DW5 and any further DW gear will lower overall DPS due to reduced TP per hit, this is because DW is calculated first. You then Multiply DW by the haste So.. DW for example (1-30%)x(1024-256(Equip) - 437.5 (magic haste)) // 1024 = 0.7 x (330.5/1024) 0.7 x 0.32 = 0.225 which delay of 22.5%

Now Granted we won't have capped Magic Haste as BLU if solo (no trusts) so Haste is 30% and Dual Wield options are somewhat higher since this was done.

It is possible to cap your delay now using Dual Wield and Flutter(I believe) which would make the benefit from haste samba somewhat lack luster imo. (as most of your damage is now based on your spells rather than WS damage and any damage bias is more towards white damage anyways this isn't a loss in dps really).

I personally never use DNC as a SJ on BLU and experience no issues on anything I've used it on.
 Siren.Kyte
Serveur: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2014-08-19 15:49:16
Link | Citer | R

Meh, I can think of some random instances where /DNC can be a good way to go. I used to solo that Chapuli NM with trusts, and on that you 1) can't use WS freely, so you tend to have an over abundance of TP and 2) it likes to silence and 3) Berserk, the most useful thing about /WAR, is unwise for this.

If I can easily think of a situation that I've encountered where /DNC is at least just as useful as another sub such as /RUN, then I'm sure there are others.
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-08-19 16:08:59
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Kyte said: »
Meh, I can think of some random instances where /DNC can be a good way to go. I used to solo that Chapuli NM with trusts, and on that you 1) can't use WS freely, so you tend to have an over abundance of TP and 2) it likes to silence and 3) Berserk, the most useful thing about /WAR, is unwise for this.

If I can easily think of a situation that I've encountered where /DNC is at least just as useful as another sub such as /RUN, then I'm sure there are others.

One NM really.

Out of curiosity, why did you solo this nm with trusts . . . when trusts came out everyone had cleared delve so thats a bit odd!
 Siren.Kyte
Serveur: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2014-08-19 16:33:53
Link | Citer | R

Mostly just boredom. I think I was also doing the Mummer's task for Sanguine Slash at the same time and that NM uses it more frequently and more accurately.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-08-19 16:37:23
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Kyte said: »
Mostly just boredom.

Someone told be around that time that they were able to make decent plasm (before they were nerfed) soloing Chapuli and Matamata, it was a time when most able people had more or less completed delve 1 but less skilled groups would still struggle to clear Tojil.
 Sylph.Hyunkyl
Serveur: Sylph
user: hyunkyl
By Sylph.Hyunkyl 2014-08-19 17:34:03
Link | Citer | R

On the 1st TP set, if no Shetal Stone, Patentia Sash or Windbuffet belt? Assuming everything as outlined below the gearset?
First Page 2 3 ... 111 112 113 ... 446 447 448