Are These People Serious?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Are these people serious?
Are these people serious?
First Page 2 3 4 ... 8 9 10
 Fairy.Maimed
Serveur: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2009-11-04 16:28:27
Link | Citer | R

Googled "the spread of christianity through violence" and got:

http://www.unrv.com/culture/spread-christianity.php

After reading Mithra and Mithraism i couldn't stop laughing. I'll take it more seriously when I stop having my immature moment. How funny that it finds a way to work its way back to being related to FFXI. No big surprise though considering the multicultural influence in that game.

/chuckles
 Asura.Israfel
Serveur: Asura
user: Tmuler
By Asura.Israfel 2009-11-04 16:28:28
Link | Citer | R

I agree with you 100% maimed^^

It's so sad that religions (Even Islam, the Qu'ran is a beautiful piece of writing if you ever get the chance to read parts of it) are so mis-interpreted >_<

People thinking that the Ten Commandments is a license to kill makes me so sad ._. ... and those guys on the Christan TV network who do nothing but yell about how you're all living your lives terribly and you need to listen to that person to be saved etc.. As a Christian I can see why people would think so many bad things about the religion since these kinds of people make themselves to be so outspoken that their cause covers up the true meaning of the words in the Bible ._.;

Edit: Eeeek! <3 You make a very very good point :)
 Asura.Korpg
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-04 16:29:59
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Israfel said:
There's a line when it comes to advertising, some people treat religion like commission sales though and just won't stop pushing.

Funny you should say that, because that was goign to be the point of this post responce to you. Relgious fanatics treat it like if you convert 100 people, you get a "Go to Heaven" card when you die. I wonder where they get that message? (hint: read the book)

Sylph.Beelshamen said:
But what's the problem here? Are you afraid of too much human contact? Is it really that difficult to say "No, thank you" everytime they come? If you don't like that maybe you should answer the door with "*** off with you and your religion." Hmm? You can be annoyed at their persistence or you can look further and you can admire it, just a little.

Hmm. Do you like to be told that your religion sucks? Without trying to defend it? Wait, isn't that what you are doing now?

Asura.Israfel said:
Maimed, the earth was flat then too... Religion has come a long way
yeah, Columbus came to NA just to spread religion. Wonder why he was exiled....

Ramuh.Lilbusta said:
Crusades wasn't about accepting Christianity or die. It was over who "owns" the Holy Land. >.>

And if you weren't Christian, you were dead.

Asura.Eeek said:
Asura.Korpg said:
Asura.Ludoggy said:
Christian's aren't holding you against your will in a dark room telling you "accept Christ or you die!"
Yeah, they stopped doing that like 120 years ago. But Islam is doing that today.
Really? Extremist Christians spent the 1990s committing terrorist acts: blowing up or burning down abortion clinics, murdering doctors, intimidating women, and blowing up federal buildings. Just this year, they murdered an abortion doctor in Kansas and shot up a museum in DC. Around where I grew up and where I live now, I know there's plenty of extreme Christians who'd love to take their turn at running a Catholic-style Inquistion, which is essentially, locking someone in a dark room and telling them "accept Christ or die."

Extreme religious practices are everywhere (hi2u 9/11) so you have your nutballs in every religion.

Accept my religion or die you heathens!
[+]
 Ramuh.Lilbusta
Serveur: Ramuh
user: phatspade
By Ramuh.Lilbusta 2009-11-04 16:30:14
Link | Citer | R

Fairy.Maimed said:
Religion isn't really the issue tbh. It's the people who interpret it. Some take things a bit too far.

Now we're on to something. Every rule has many ways to interpret, but we only read as such based on our own morales that were instilled by our role models.

@Korpg They were fighting over possession not religious preference. Now during that time and much later the Church was given great power over the lands it ruled. It was the person in the high chair that said we must be the only religion. The religion didn't say we must be the only one on this Earth.
 Fairy.Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2009-11-04 16:31:10
Link | Citer | R

Korpg just owned us all lol :x
[+]
 Kujata.Saiji
Serveur: Kujata
user: saiji
By Kujata.Saiji 2009-11-04 16:33:47
Link | Citer | R

thing i hate most are mission trips. Its ok to go to a country and help people out. thats great. but at the cost of also making them (brain washing) them into being christians? people will argue that but think about it.

Kid is starving and parents are sick. missionaries go over there and give them food.(amazing thing and thank people for doing that) So these people are seen as saviors and now are being taught about christianity and god etc etc.

What about those peoples own beliefs, religions, practices, faith. Apparently those people are wrong? doesnt make sense.

I live in texas, work at a best buy and get people allll the time that want to talk about religion and how there religion is the right one. i say im not interested that i dont believe and then im the bad person. i say no thanks in a polite manner and they litteraly snap at me saying im a bad person and will go to hell otherwise. now a majority of these people (about 95%) are christians that do this. Theres a difference in trying to teach someone something and being a complete asshat about it. Then people wonder "why do atheist the non-believers give christians sooo mcuh ***for being religious". in a simple answer... most deserve it. Golden rule, do untoo others right?
 Asura.Eeek
user: Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2009-11-04 16:37:25
Link | Citer | R

Fairy.Maimed said:

Not really. He didn't understand why Columbus came to North America. It had nothing to do with spreading Christianity. He just bumbled his way into North America while trying to make his way to India, China, and the East Indies. He was trying to make money!
 Sylph.Beelshamen
Serveur: Sylph
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2009-11-04 16:38:58
Link | Citer | R

Fairy.Maimed said:

You're just easy catch.
 Siren.Murdock
Serveur: Siren
user: Murdock
By Siren.Murdock 2009-11-04 16:39:49
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Israfel
By Asura.Israfel 2009-11-04 16:40:32
Link | Citer | R

That's really sad that that happens to you Saiji Q_Q. I once had a preacher pull me to one side on my way home from work because he noticed my crucifix pendant, his first words were: Well I see you wearing that Cross, but I doubt you know what it means... and I'm like "o_o excuse me?" This guy was supposed to be sharing the word of God, not lynching people e_e.
Even as a Christian I'll admit that there's a lot of *** in my religion (mainly the people) that need to be sorted out. The extremist types give us such a bad name, heck my mother in law is one of these extremist types too... lol. When Obama was elected president she swore blind it was the devils' work -_-
 Fairy.Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2009-11-04 16:41:49
Link | Citer | R

Israfel, my father paid a ransom to religious extremists so his sickly mother can go free, and they ended up killing his brother because he wasn't considered of pure blood.

Although I am an aethiest by choice, my parents were raised and are practicing muslims. Needless to say, the media does wonders for raising hysteria.

I remember shortly after 9/11 Fox News asked Tom Clancy to come onto a segment where they asked whether or not they should stop allowing muslims to immigrate into the U.S. Someone asked how would they monitor such activity, and the idea was to fill out a questionaire. Tom Clancy says "maybe you should have them wear armbands so they can identify themselves to the public as being muslims" and all the Fox Anchors thought it was a great idea. Tom Clancy then says "Yeah, there was a leader who once thought that was a great idea also, Hitler."

I know Live broadcasts still have a 7 second delay before we see it on the screen but they didn't kill the segment quick enough because I died of sheer laughter.

Owned.
[+]
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-04 16:42:26
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Lilbusta said:
@Korpg They were fighting over possession not religious preference. Now during that time and much later the Church was given great power over the lands it ruled. It was the person in the high chair that said we must be the only religion. The religion didn't say we must be the only one on this Earth.

So, you saying the unjust pillaging of Jewish and Islam villages by the Crusaders never happened?
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Serveur: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-11-04 16:42:55
Link | Citer | R

I'm inclined to agree with you, Israfel. More than anything else, it's the bad seeds and the ill will that breeds that keep me away from religion more than anything. The people who speak out in harsh words and point fingers like a real life scene out of "The Mist" when they're all congregated in the grocery store is more sickening than anything to me.

Not to involve politics in this, but it's the same way with social conservative (separate from fiscal) America that bugs the hell out of me. In contrast this tends to make me like those that participate within those groups who aren't batshit crazy, though. I'm probably leaving myself wide-open for attack by leaving out specifics here, but doing so not to shift the topic.
 Asura.Ludoggy
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-11-04 16:43:20
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Korpg said:

So, you saying the unjust pillaging of Jewish and Islam villages by the Crusaders never happened?

So since bad ***went down 500 years ago we should base everything on that?
[+]
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-04 16:44:18
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Eeek said:
Fairy.Maimed said:
Not really. He didn't understand why Columbus came to North America. It had nothing to do with spreading Christianity. He just bumbled his way into North America while trying to make his way to India, China, and the East Indies. He was trying to make money!

I knew that, sorry if the sarcasm went over your head (I thought the last part would have proved that it was sarcasm)
 Asura.Israfel
By Asura.Israfel 2009-11-04 16:44:19
Link | Citer | R

I am so sorry to hear that Maimed >_<!!
I hate so much that people are doing these kinds of things around the world, it's just not right at all >_<;;
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Serveur: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-11-04 16:46:39
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Israfel said:
That's really sad that that happens to you Saiji Q_Q. I once had a preacher pull me to one side on my way home from work because he noticed my crucifix pendant, his first words were: Well I see you wearing that Cross, but I doubt you know what it means... and I'm like "o_o excuse me?" This guy was supposed to be sharing the word of God, not lynching people e_e.
Even as a Christian I'll admit that there's a lot of *** in my religion (mainly the people) that need to be sorted out. The extremist types give us such a bad name, heck my mother in law is one of these extremist types too... lol. When Obama was elected president she swore blind it was the devils' work -_-
That was essentially what I was driving at. Having to write a pages long email to your family to talk them down from thinking a possible presidential candidate is the straigh-up *** anti-christ was the biggest *** I've ever had to deal with. I don't blame them so much for being manipulated as I do the groups that knowingly perform the manipulations knowing damn well it's deceit and using their religion in a manner of convenience.
 Sylph.Beelshamen
Serveur: Sylph
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2009-11-04 16:47:04
Link | Citer | R

I don't want to be the bringer of bad news, but all of your personal experiences don't matter. Fact is: Religion will never die. And religion and the person behind the religion are two COMPLETELY different things.

Mixing those two up is what goes wrong. You can't judge a person on their religion and you can't judge a religion on the horrible things some awful people in the name of it do.
[+]
 Fairy.Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2009-11-04 16:50:16
Link | Citer | R

Re: Saiji

There's no such thing as a free meal. Nothing is completely selfless. If you help a friend with expectations of nothing in return, you still do it because you feel good helping others. That's still getting something out of it. When it comes to organized religion, it's exactly what it is, organized. If I had to hire aggressive outside salespeople that never lose motivation after hearing "NO" a hundred times, I'd hire a mormon in a heartbeat.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-04 16:51:51
Link | Citer | R

Organinsed relgion = The Mob.

Discuss.
 Caitsith.Blurr
Serveur: Caitsith
user: blurr69
By Caitsith.Blurr 2009-11-04 16:53:07
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Beelshamen said:
Then I don't see any problem. Continue taking their pamphlets and throwing them away, continue saying "no thanks" and when you get home go level your ranger or something.

If you truly feel pressured by these people there is some part of you that feels insecure at contact with these people.

Yeah, and I know they can have unusual punchlines.

Believe me, I'm 75% Arab with considerable arab looks and they still find me everytime too. Christian converters find me. Lol. Maybe they found a new market in arabs.

unless they are about to tell me i have a headlight out or some actually helpful kind ***, im uncomfortable with ANY stranger coming up to me for any reason what so ever. i have insecurities about any/everyone i dont know, as well any person living in todays world should. if a group of people are walking down the alley @ a very late hour of night, and you just so happen to be as well, i dont care who/where you are.. youd be HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE NOT to have a twinge of suspicion or fear pop up in your mind.

if everyone minded their own business and just did their OWN thing, there would be a lot less *** to be afraid of..

sure sure they are just handing out harmless pamphlets, but what about when/if they start having actual conversations with your children somewhere/somehow ? what if your kids stopped at the house for trickortreat candy and got a sermon about homosexuals going to hell, and abortions (even in the cases of incest/rape) being condemned by god, who happens to see all and know all like santa btw?

tbh id be MOST afraid of what i'd have to do if that happened to anyone i knew..
[+]
 Asura.Ludoggy
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-11-04 16:53:16
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Korpg said:
Organinsed relgion = The Mob.

Discuss.

They suck at making money.
 Fairy.Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2009-11-04 16:53:16
Link | Citer | R

Oh, get this. If you listen to random AM stations that play a lot of relgious talk shows and stuff, there is some book that exposes President Obama as someone who associates himself with tax evaders, cheats, and common thugs. One may argue that advertisements don't reflect the views of a station but that disclosure is to protect their own *** from liability and any bad press that comes of it. They control the content, including which advertisements they choose to allow through. It's all marketing nonsense.
 Shiva.Enjoylife
Serveur: Shiva
user: Enjoylife
By Shiva.Enjoylife 2009-11-04 16:54:45
Link | Citer | R

if i looked like korpg id be an athiest too

User submitted image
[+]
 Asura.Eeek
user: Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2009-11-04 16:55:04
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Korpg said:
Asura.Eeek said:
Fairy.Maimed said:
I knew that, sorry if the sarcasm went over your head (I thought the last part would have proved that it was sarcasm)

You knew what, exactly? I'm convinced that you say and believe whatever is convenient for you at any given moment regardless of fact or what you've previously stated. I can't discern any kind of consistent logic, moral code, or internal belief structure within you.
 Shiva.Enjoylife
Serveur: Shiva
user: Enjoylife
By Shiva.Enjoylife 2009-11-04 16:57:16
Link | Citer | R

theres really no point to any of this,

no one here is going to change there mind based on what they've read in this thread
 Ramuh.Lilbusta
Serveur: Ramuh
user: phatspade
By Ramuh.Lilbusta 2009-11-04 16:58:55
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Korpg said:

Those actions were accepted in the rules of war back in those days. They would do the same to other Christians if they were denied food/quarters for the troops.
 Fairy.Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2009-11-04 17:01:31
Link | Citer | R

Enjoylife, I suppose Atheism is about as pointless is being part of any religion where someone name God ran out of prozac and decided to create beings to reinforce how great He is in order to help him maintain his self-esteem.

Narcissistic much?

Come on, we can bash each other's beliefs all day long. It's pointless to go that route. I'll do it to pass time if necessary. I have about two hours left till I'm off work anyway.
 Fairy.Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2009-11-04 17:04:38
Link | Citer | R

Lilbusta, just because it was common practice or even remotely socially acceptable behavior doesn't mean it was right. Slavery was not considered immoral by any means, not for a long while. I think we can all agree it's wrong.. at least I hope we all agree.
 Caitsith.Blurr
Serveur: Caitsith
user: blurr69
By Caitsith.Blurr 2009-11-04 17:05:41
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Enjoylife said:
theres really no point to any of this,

no one here is going to change there mind based on what they've read in this thread

maybe if i slip some of my groups literature in your child's trick or treat bag ?
First Page 2 3 4 ... 8 9 10