Are These People Serious?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Are these people serious?
Are these people serious?
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10
 Asura.Ludoggy
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-11-04 15:26:33
Link | Citer | R

I think its a nice thing.
God forbid you gotta throw it out with the rest of the candy wrappers.
[+]
 Asura.Korpg
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-04 15:28:32
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Enjoylife said:
nowhere on that webpage do they mention anything about christians or any religion for that matter, you just want to argue for the sake of arguing...

Wait, where did I say that "They" = "Christian"?

I said "They" as in "Hypocrites"

Like you were stating people who:

Shiva.Enjoylife said:
what makes u guys think its cool to insult religous people, and to go as far as to egg and toilet paper there house? i dont insult you for being athiest while complaining about a christians being bigots, you yourself are doing the same thing, and being a hypocrite im not saying either belief is right but come on, really?

are stating as hypocrites, not Christians.

Why are you trying to put me into saying anything about Christians anyway? I'm not against any religions except all of them.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-04 15:29:21
Link | Citer | R

I only posted that website to show that my last point is not made up, since its the only one that was specific....
 Odin.Liela
Serveur: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2009-11-04 15:33:16
Link | Citer | R

While I agree with Enjoylife that egging or tp'ing someone's house is not an overly appropriate thing to do, I have to admit that Christians would be extremely upset if Atheists gave Christians the same treatment that Christians gave Atheists. For example, recently Christians distributed full-color copies of the Origin of Species to a certain one or two colleges (hate it when I can't remember the exact details) but included a 50-page intro detailing how Hitler had close ties to Darwin and Origin of Species encouraged slavery and other such nonsense. Now really, if someone gave full-color copies of the Bible to churches, but included a 50-page intro detailing how the Bible encouraged slavery and said God had ties to Hitler, there would be hell to pay. Christians would throw a huge fit and probably say their Bible had been desecrated. But they somehow think it's ok to do the same thing to Atheists and the Origin of Species? Sorry, but no. I cannot agree with or respect that. People need to not try and force their beliefs on others, plain and simple.

Here, I found the link I was talking about. I got a couple details wrong, but this corrects me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmHN3JtyUXg
[+]
 Shiva.Enjoylife
Serveur: Shiva
user: Enjoylife
By Shiva.Enjoylife 2009-11-04 15:40:05
Link | Citer | R

lol you guys try to make it out like athiests are all minding there own business and christians are out to get you, yea right

i dont care about what this christian did or what that athiest did,

when it comes down to it, you either believe or you dont

no need for all the hate and malice
[+]
 Fairy.Maimed
Serveur: Fairy
user: Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2009-11-04 15:49:02
Link | Citer | R

I have no issues with someone discussing their religious beliefs as long as they don't force it upon me. However, if they're not willing to listen to mine, or lack thereof, then they need to stop preaching about keeping an open mind if they're unable to do so themselves.

Most relgious people go through the motions of what is expected of someone of faith, however they rarely understand why they're doing what they're doing. This is probably why every relgious individual is mocked as sheep. I personally don't believe in attacking anyone for their beliefs, including racists, because you're entitled to believe whatever you choose to believe, however I have no respect for anyone who practices blatant ignorance.

A man once asked if I attended church. I told him I was not religious, he then proceeded to tell me that I needed to be saved, and we can pray together. I spent nearly half an hour to forty five minutes listening to him talk about his beliefs and when I started to ask questions because I was genuinely interested, not because I wanted to convert but because I like to learn about what makes others tick. Eventually I started to share my beliefs as well and he started to interject and try to tell me I was wrong for not accepting his lord and savior. I thanked him for his time and attempted to walk away from the conversation because I was getting the feeling I was talking to a brick wall. He insisted I attend a service with him that night. At that point I started to ask tough questions about his faith, and he was unable to answer. He then told me if I wouldn't accept his hand and have faith that I would burn in hell.

These are the people that make major religions look bad just like the idiots who commit suicide bombing and associate that with islam. You're gonna have quacks from all walks of life, and unfortunately they are the ones that stick out the most in anyone's mind.

Personally I think it's simple. Let me be and I'll do the same. If you want to talk, it needs to be a 2-way conversation, otherwise move on.

Oh and I'm totally gonna hand out a flyer during christmas that says Santa is really a muslim because he wears a beard... lol, ignorance ftw
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-11-04 15:52:25
Link | Citer | R

If it makes you guys feel any better, I'm a Jedi.
[+]
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-04 15:53:21
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Enjoylife said:
lol you guys try to make it out like athiests are all minding there own business and christians are out to get you, yea right i dont care about what this christian did or what that athiest did, when it comes down to it, you either believe or you dont no need for all the hate and malice

Dude, Christians, like any other religion out there, their goals is to convert people into their religion. I don't want to be converted, why in the hell do you force ***on us?

If Christians didn't do that, then explain the card on the original post?
[+]
 Sylph.Beelshamen
Serveur: Sylph
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2009-11-04 15:57:51
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Korpg said:
Shiva.Enjoylife said:
lol you guys try to make it out like athiests are all minding there own business and christians are out to get you, yea right i dont care about what this christian did or what that athiest did, when it comes down to it, you either believe or you dont no need for all the hate and malice

Dude, Christians, like any other religion out there, their goals is to convert people into their religion. I don't want to be converted, why in the hell do you force ***on us?

If you don't want to be converted than you just won't.

Setting yourself off against it makes it sounds like you're either afraid of a possible convertion or you're just afraid of christianity in general.

Everyone should grow up and stop bandwagoning on religion hate or atheism hate or whatever the *** you believe.

If you don't want to get converted than you don't, there's no need to start the insults the moment the subject is broached.
 Shiva.Enjoylife
Serveur: Shiva
user: Enjoylife
By Shiva.Enjoylife 2009-11-04 15:58:45
Link | Citer | R

i never said christians dont want to convert anyone, i even said that guy is a bible freak, he wasnt trying to "force" anything though, how is a simple pamphlet forcing anything on anyone? your blowing it up into something its not

and the only reason i even posted here, was because of all the anti christian pictures. because they werent targeting religion in general but christians

edit- i was replying to korpg btw
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-11-04 16:02:26
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Korpg said:
Shiva.Enjoylife said:

It's *** advertisement. Handing out pamphlets, making signs, big bill boards, news paper ad's, internet ad's t.v. ad's etc.
Its all ADVERTISEMENT.
Christian's aren't holding you against your will in a dark room telling you "accept Christ or you die!"
GOD *** FORBID IF I GOTTA THROW OUT A TINY NOTE WITH THE REST OF MY GARBAGE!
I guess getting letters, emails and other ad's saying "buy a new car here!" also pisses you off, cause they are after all shoving it down your throat.
[+]
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-04 16:04:53
Link | Citer | R

wait a tic.

Who said anything about me bashing any one religion, or bashing how they do their religion?

Yeah, he was preaching his word to somebody outside his community (hence the book) and forcing his ideals to somebody who probably don't care (hence the book). That's wrong if you think about it. You don't want to be forced information when you are not in school/work, then why would you do it during your time off?

But I'm still not bashing anyone. Lets be clear on this now, again.

And I'm not jumping on any bandwagon either. These are my thoughts on the manner, and if you don't like it, then don't follow it. If you do like it, still don't follow it.
[+]
 Alexander.Meeeeeep
Serveur: Alexander
user: Meeeeeep
By Alexander.Meeeeeep 2009-11-04 16:05:09
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Ludoggy said:
Asura.Korpg said:
Shiva.Enjoylife said:

It's *** advertisement. Handing out pamphlets, making signs, big bill boards, news paper ad's, internet ad's t.v. ad's etc.
Its all ADVERTISEMENT.
Christian's aren't holding you against your will in a dark room telling you "accept Christ or you die!"
GOD *** FORBID IF I GOTTA THROW OUT A TINY NOTE WITH THE REST OF MY GARBAGE!
I guess getting letters, emails and other ad's saying "buy a new car here!" also pisses you off, cause they are after all shoving it down your throat.

They do, it's annoying... What was your point again?

Also, expecting something awesome and then getting ganked by an advertisement is no fun at all.
[+]
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-04 16:08:21
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Ludoggy said:

Yeah, they stopped doing that like 120 years ago. But Islam is doing that today.
[+]
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-11-04 16:08:27
Link | Citer | R

Alexander.Meeeeeep said:
What was your point again?

I dont have a point, I have a question.
Why is it only Religion that isn't allowed to advertise without getting bashed.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-11-04 16:09:52
Link | Citer | R

Hmm technically yes it can be seen as advertisement and no it isn't only advertisement. I get knocks on my door all the time from the same church ppl, I tell them each time that I'm not interested and I don't believe. And instead of accepting that I said that,they say "Well hear, you should read this." and they knock on my door anyways the next time. I have told many, even out in the parking lot at a grocery, "no thanks" and still shove the pamphlet/book at me.

Advertising is a poster, commercial, or even a card for their church, etc. But having someone come to me even after saying no thanks with pressure, is not advertising.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-04 16:10:01
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Ludoggy said:
Alexander.Meeeeeep said:
What was your point again?
I dont have a point, I have a question. Why is it only Religion that isn't allowed to advertise without getting bashed.

it isn't.

I hate car salesmen also.

Those damn Enzyme commercials too

Hell, pretty much every commercial that says "be like this if you want to live a sucessful life" type of ***.
[+]
 Asura.Israfel
user: Tmuler
By Asura.Israfel 2009-11-04 16:11:23
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Korpg said:

Dude, Christians, like any other religion out there, their goals is to convert people into their religion.

That's funny, I thought the goal of my religion would be to live as Jesus did, in the sense that I'm to be kind, considerate and help anyone around me regardless of race, color or creed. If you don't share the same beliefs I won't chastize you and say you'll burn in hell "Let he without Sin cast the first stone" etc.

As a quick edit: I do agree that some people are kinda obnoxious with the whole "Convert and be saved!!" stuff, as a christian it really saddens me, the whole point about being Christian isn't to be forcing people into it, if people share your beliefs then they'll find God pretty decently without being pressured into it e_e. While I think the pamphlet was a really nice thing for them to do (Hey, Jesus cares!), Atleast your candy didn't come with a 30min sermon of if you have premarital sex your penis will fall off, you'll still go blind masturbating and those pics of Jenna Jameson you have stashed under your bed will earn you a lifetime of punishment in the fiery pits of hell :) (oh~ho~ho -read: Sarcasm here e_e). There's a line when it comes to advertising, some people treat religion like commission sales though and just won't stop pushing.
[+]
 Sylph.Beelshamen
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2009-11-04 16:13:21
Link | Citer | R

[
Gilgamesh.Alyria said:
Hmm technically yes it can be seen as advertisement and no it isn't only advertisement. I get knocks on my door all the time from the same church ppl, I tell them each time that I'm not interested and I don't believe. And instead of accepting that I said that,they say "Well hear, you should read this." and they knock on my door anyways the next time. I have told many, even out in the parking lot at a grocery, "no thanks" and still shove the pamphlet/book at me.

Advertising is a poster, commercial, or even a card for their church, etc. But having someone come to me even after saying no thanks with pressure, is not advertising.

But what's the problem here? Are you afraid of too much human contact? Is it really that difficult to say "No, thank you" everytime they come?

If you don't like that maybe you should answer the door with "*** off with you and your religion." Hmm?

You can be annoyed at their persistence or you can look further and you can admire it, just a little.
 Fairy.Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2009-11-04 16:16:00
Link | Citer | R

Intentionally targeting little kids during Halloween isn't innocent advertising.

That's like having a group of rainbow coalition members hang outside the YMCA letting young boys know it's okay to be gay and they shouldn't be afraid to explore their sexuality. I personally don't have any issues with homosexuality (means more women for me) but I would imagine anyone from the right wing would flip their lid if this was common practice.

Asura.Ludoggy said:

Oh and Ludoggy I wouldn't make that argument considering the basis of the Crusades. It was exactly that. Accept Christianity or die.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-11-04 16:16:40
Link | Citer | R

I'm a nice person, I say it politely when they start with their speech. Most of them say to me "Are you 100% you are going to heaven?" and I do say No thank you.

I'm not rude with anyone, if they give me the pamphlet/book I take it anyways even after saying no thanks and I'll either toss it at home or give to my mom.

It has nothing to do with human contact.
 Asura.Israfel
By Asura.Israfel 2009-11-04 16:18:03
Link | Citer | R

Maimed, the earth was flat then too... Religion has come a long way. We have freedom of choice now~ So you either believe or you don't... saying no 99% of the time won't land you in a dark closet.. I can't speak for all the crazy people of America though, there's bound to be one out there somewhere
 Asura.Eeek
user: Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2009-11-04 16:18:28
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Korpg said:
Asura.Ludoggy said:
Yeah, they stopped doing that like 120 years ago. But Islam is doing that today.

Really? Extremist Christians spent the 1990s committing terrorist acts: blowing up or burning down abortion clinics, murdering doctors, intimidating women, and blowing up federal buildings. Just this year, they murdered an abortion doctor in Kansas and shot up a museum in DC.

Around where I grew up and where I live now, I know there's plenty of extreme Christians who'd love to take their turn at running a Catholic-style Inquistion, which is essentially, locking someone in a dark room and telling them "accept Christ or die."
[+]
 Ramuh.Lilbusta
Serveur: Ramuh
user: phatspade
By Ramuh.Lilbusta 2009-11-04 16:18:29
Link | Citer | R

Crusades wasn't about accepting Christianity or die. It was over who "owns" the Holy Land. >.>
[+]
 Sylph.Beelshamen
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2009-11-04 16:20:36
Link | Citer | R

Then I don't see any problem. Continue taking their pamphlets and throwing them away, continue saying "no thanks" and when you get home go level your ranger or something.

If you truly feel pressured by these people there is some part of you that feels insecure at contact with these people.

Yeah, and I know they can have unusual punchlines.

Believe me, I'm 75% Arab with considerable arab looks and they still find me everytime too. Christian converters find me. Lol. Maybe they found a new market in arabs.
 Bahamut.Rumaha
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-11-04 16:21:40
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Lilbusta said:
Crusades wasn't about accepting Christianity or die. It was over who "owns" the Holy Land. >.>

Indeed.
 Asura.Israfel
By Asura.Israfel 2009-11-04 16:21:41
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Eeek said:

Really? Extremist Christians spent the 1990s committing terrorist acts: blowing up or burning down abortion clinics, murdering doctors, intimidating women, and blowing up federal buildings. Just this year, they murdered an abortion doctor in Kansas and shot up a museum in DC.

Around where I grew up and where I live now, I know there's plenty of extreme Christians who'd love to take their turn at running a Catholic-style Inquistion, which is essentially, locking someone in a dark room and telling them "accept Christ or die."

Just like in most religions there's going to be extremists... my only wish (as impossible as it is) is that you don't base the religion on the acts of these kinds of people Q_Q;
[+]
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-11-04 16:24:07
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Eeek said:
they murdered an abortion doctor in Kansas

Really ironic that an abortion doctor would be killed in a church, lol.
 Fairy.Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2009-11-04 16:24:15
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Israfel said:
Maimed, the earth was flat then too... Religion has come a long way

Okay, I will yield on that subject because the The Bible never said "kill any nonbelievers".. to the best of my knowledge anyway.

However I think we can agree that terrorist acts due to religious beliefs happen today. Abortion clinics are attacked, extremists in second and third world countries make people pay dire consequences if they don't submit to their will & beliefs.

Religion isn't really the issue tbh. It's the people who interpret it. Some take things a bit too far.
 Asura.Eeek
user: Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2009-11-04 16:26:51
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Israfel said:
Asura.Eeek said:
Really? Extremist Christians spent the 1990s committing terrorist acts: blowing up or burning down abortion clinics, murdering doctors, intimidating women, and blowing up federal buildings. Just this year, they murdered an abortion doctor in Kansas and shot up a museum in DC. Around where I grew up and where I live now, I know there's plenty of extreme Christians who'd love to take their turn at running a Catholic-style Inquistion, which is essentially, locking someone in a dark room and telling them "accept Christ or die."
Just like in most religions there's going to be extremists... my only wish (as impossible as it is) is that you don't base the religion on the acts of these kinds of people Q_Q;

That was an underlying point of saying what I said. ;)

My main point is that it's short-sighted to single out Islam as the only religion presently struggling with violence within its ranks.
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10