Windows 10 Free??

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » windows 10 free??
windows 10 free??
By Ramyrez 2015-06-29 09:30:16
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Jassik said: »
Ramyrez said: »
I don't know what issue it would have caused, but whatever.

Y2K strikes again.

I think it was just one of those

"we have 8 million pages of code with 9x"

"what will happen?"

"I don't know, lets skip 9"

"we can't jump straight to 10, nobody will buy it"

"well ****"

Mmm...

...nope.

Definitely Y2K.

[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Serveur: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-06-29 09:38:56
Link | Citer | R

Verda said: »
I don't understand the 8 hate, 7 is so clunky compared to 8. It used to be upgrading to a new windows version was an overall speed downgrade.... but 8 is an upgrade for sure.

Functionally, 8.1 is a great OS. It sacrifices some compatibility, but at some point, developers have to stop handicapping their platforms to cater to a fairly small group of consumers.

A lot of the same people that complained about 8's compatibility with classic games are the same people that complained about PS2 holding FFXI back.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2015-06-29 09:43:41
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
Metro is clunky.
That's a nice way to put it. I'd have called it functionally useless. And my experiences with win8 were on a tablet with a touchscreen.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-06-29 09:59:06
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
Metro is clunky.
That's a nice way to put it. I'd have called it functionally useless. And my experiences with win8 were on a tablet with a touchscreen.

I use 8.1 at least 10 hours per day for work and play and I never have to navigate the dashboard. Everything I need is either pinned to my start bar or I push the windows button and just type the first few letters.

8.1 is functionally miles ahead of 7 or vista, you just have to learn a handful of tricks.
 Bahamut.Gorion
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Gorion
By Bahamut.Gorion 2015-06-29 10:11:31
Link | Citer | R

So... Question. Will, upgrading to 10 affect playing ffxi?
the program itself, windower, or any other known issues?
By Ramyrez 2015-06-29 10:12:44
Link | Citer | R

you just have to learn a handful of tricks.

You do recall that to this day there are people still clinging to XP, right?
By Ramyrez 2015-06-29 10:13:03
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Gorion said: »

Thus far I think this is still an unknown?

But I really don't know for sure.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-06-29 10:22:00
Link | Citer | R

Widower 4 worked on one of the 10 tech preview builds, but I don't have an active account to test it in the latter build. Underneath, 10 is basically 8.1 with a facelift and some new features.

you just have to learn a handful of tricks.

You do recall that to this day there are people still clinging to XP, right?

Xp has a lot of fans for good reason. People clinging to vista or 7 makes less sense.
By Ramyrez 2015-06-29 10:25:13
Link | Citer | R

Xp has a lot of fans for good reason. People clinging to vista or 7 makes less sense.

It's unwillingness to move on either way. Either because they're entirely too comfortable or entirely too afraid of change. Or both.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-06-29 10:30:51
Link | Citer | R

It's unwillingness to move on either way.

Sorta. Xp is still used a lot in enterprise applications because a lot of them use proprietary software that won't work on newer builds. Others kept it because they're lower level workstation functions didn't require more and deploying a newer version license for hundreds of computers wasn't a good cost/benefit ratio. 7 and 8 basically require 64bit installs and x64 architecture to do anything more than web browsing thanks to the 2048 memory limitation of the 32bit hardware. That makes deploying a new OS functionally the same as replacing the machine. A lot of those companies are still running server 2003 or NetWare as well.
 Shiva.Gib
Serveur: Shiva
user: Gib
By Shiva.Gib 2015-06-29 10:33:17
Link | Citer | R

well it IS adding DX12, so it might cause some problems with FF11, but probably not.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-06-29 10:44:44
Link | Citer | R

It's unwillingness to move on either way. Either because they're entirely too comfortable or entirely too afraid of change. Or both.

or option C, no funds to get a newer OS or newer comp'
By Ramyrez 2015-06-29 10:46:16
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Godofgods said: »

I can't remember the last PC I bought (or sold) that had XP native. It's got to have been like 8 years or so though, hasn't it?

If you're still dragging a computer's life out that long, kudos to you.
By Jetackuu 2015-06-29 10:46:57
Link | Citer | R

fairly small group of consumers.
You mean entire organizations.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-06-29 11:22:25
Link | Citer | R

Jetackuu said: »

Enterprise applications are a different, consumer OS sales are a pretty small portion of the market. And when their biggest gripe is that they don't like learning new things, Microsoft has decided to move past them. They're moving toward cloud solutions, especially for businesses. Ever heard of azure?
By Jetackuu 2015-06-29 11:25:48
Link | Citer | R

Unfortunately.
 Bismarck.Misao
Serveur: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2015-06-29 11:31:27
Link | Citer | R

there might not be a lot of OS sales, mainly because all windows machines already come with it, and people would rather buy a new pc than just buy the OS upgrade.
and i am not talking about people's custom builds (as they will likely buy or pirate the OS) but all those who don't know the know-hows and just buy prebuild machines.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-06-29 11:33:02
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Misao said: »
there might not be a lot of OS sales, mainly because all windows machines already come with it, and people would rather buy a new pc than just buy the OS upgrade.
and i am not talking about people's custom builds (as they will likely buy or pirate the OS) but all those who don't know the know-hows and just buy prebuild machines.

Which is where the vast majority of their consumer sales come from. Very little of it is direct sales. Anyone who has looked at their enterprise billing models will understand why they have chosen to leave direct consumer sales behind.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-06-29 11:35:01
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Godofgods said: »

I can't remember the last PC I bought (or sold) that had XP native. It's got to have been like 8 years or so though, hasn't it?

If you're still dragging a computer's life out that long, kudos to you.

my newest comp is the one i had bought for my dad many years ago. After he died, i started using it. Its a 2007~ i think. The one i was using up to that was a 2002.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-06-29 11:36:04
Link | Citer | R

Jetackuu said: »

Enterprise applications are a different, consumer OS sales are a pretty small portion of the market. And when their biggest gripe is that they don't like learning new things, Microsoft has decided to move past them. They're moving toward cloud solutions, especially for businesses. Ever heard of azure?

thats one of the key items in aby right?
[+]
By protectorchrono 2015-06-29 12:01:08
Link | Citer | R

Here's what I read online for this update as I have Windows 7 and also got a free Windows 10 upgrade notice.

Quote:
What are the basic facts of the Windows 10 upgrade?

Microsoft is making Windows 10 available as free upgrade for qualified Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 devices. It will be available starting July 29, 2015; people can reserve their free upgrade today.

You only have until July 29, 2016 to take advantage of this offer. Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device.

And:

Quote:
Is the upgrade really free?

Yes, it’s free. This is a full version of Windows, not a trial or introductory version. It is available for a limited time: you have one year from the time Windows 10 is available to take advantage of this offer.

So what I'm getting from this is it does seem legit. Either way we'll see near the end of July how this upgrade will be. I don't think it will delete any personal files, etc so it seems like it could work out. I definitely want to see if Windows 10 will work for me as Windows 7 is kinda meh... :/

And hey if it's free then why not get the upgrade? lol
By Ramyrez 2015-06-29 12:03:23
Link | Citer | R

protectorchrono said: »
And hey if it's free then why not get the upgrade? lol

"And now technology shall taste the lash of the hickory switch!"
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2015-06-29 12:20:05
Link | Citer | R

Metro is clunky.

I use 8.1 at least 10 hours per day for work and play and I never have to navigate the dashboard. Everything I need is either pinned to my start bar or I push the windows button and just type the first few letters.

8.1 is functionally miles ahead of 7 or vista, you just have to learn a handful of tricks.

8.1 is slightly behind 7 in usability, don't give it extra points because you've learned to cope with the forced handicap. 8.0 was horribly useless for anyone not on a touch screen, all 8.1 did was make the UI more functional for those who aren't running RT. That UI was designed around unifying the computing experience between touch devices and desktop / laptop PCs and failed horribly.

As for Windows 10, I'm of a wait and see attitude towards it. The tech preview should work to fix most problems before it's released and as long as MS isn't trying to crap Metro + Windows Store down everyone's throat then most should be happy. The forced auto-update kinda scares me in a tin-foil-hat way.
By fonewear 2015-06-29 12:45:00
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
I got that icon at the beginning of the month. Definitely not switching from 7 anytime soon. Always best to wait a few months.

Asura.Saevel said: »
I'll be waiting for 10.1, SP1 or whatever they will call the inevitable feature update that is needed to make it functional.
Basically this.

I have Windows 7 ultimate so far my favorite OS from MS.
By Ramyrez 2015-06-29 12:56:55
Link | Citer | R

fonewear said: »
my favorite OS from MS.

[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-29 13:06:59
Link | Citer | R

I had Windows Vista and that OS was the worst ever.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-06-29 13:44:50
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Saevel said: »
Metro is clunky.

8.1 is slightly behind 7 in usability, don't give it extra points because you've learned to cope with the forced handicap. 8.0 was horribly useless for anyone not on a touch screen, all 8.1 did was make the UI more functional for those who aren't running RT. That UI was designed around unifying the computing experience between touch devices and desktop / laptop PCs and failed horribly.

As for Windows 10, I'm of a wait and see attitude towards it. The tech preview should work to fix most problems before it's released and as long as MS isn't trying to crap Metro + Windows Store down everyone's throat then most should be happy. The forced auto-update kinda scares me in a tin-foil-hat way.

I haven't "learned to cope". The 8.1 interface is faster and more efficient because you can customize it to fit your exact needs. It's also cross platform, if you use a ms account to login, it imports your preferences and maps your cloud storage. Integrated services are very helpful as well, I can manage multiple email accounts and remote management services so much more easily. Integrated client hyper-v lower resource overhead. The list goes on and on. 8.1 is objectively better than 7 and vista.
[+]