Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Designer babies, one step closer
Designer babies, one step closer
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Serveur: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-04-24 01:32:45
Link | Citer | R

i honestly believe china just looked at its youth and went " *** this lets scrap the whole thing and breed out the defects" lol
By charlo999 2015-04-24 04:32:02
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Magnuss said: »
charlo999 said: »
it's self
Oh come on...

You live in the same place where english was conceived! You can do better than that!

Wow don't know how that happened. I type fast on an iphone and I know I never manually put in apostrophes, just let auto correct do it. Then rechecking any mistakes after I post. And I still can't replicate that. And I missed it on the recheck.
Apologies.
As I can see it has affected you in some way.

So I would like to take the time to say, that myself and the rest of the community are happy and feel much safer, that we have the grammar police keeping these boards clean.
Thank you.
/salute
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
Serveur: Seraph
user: Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-24 07:43:38
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Protey said: »
My fear is that some jerks who have an obsession with controlling others argue "welfare of the child" and demand laws be put in place so that parents are required to genetically manipulate their child. /shudders.

Because it would be a damn shame if you had to guarantee your child didn't have a genetic disorder.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-24 07:46:37
Link | Citer | R

Um no it's not.
Brace yourself.
There's a strong possibility the knowledge will show us it's impossible. As of now with what we have its pointing toward impossible.
Not that I'm saying the research it's self won't help other avenues, as I've already mentioned.

How many times in the past have we been told something is impossible only to turn around and achieve it?

How many people have religions put to death for challenging their "iron clad" "facts"?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-24 08:27:12
Link | Citer | R

Seraph.Ramyrez said: »
How many times in the past have we been told something is impossible only to turn around and achieve it?
You mean like when people believed the earth was flat and you can never sail straight to reach another land, or you will fall off the earth?

Or how man will never fly in the air?

Or reach the moon?

Or develop a weapon so horrible it would destroy an entire civilization in less than a minute?
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-24 08:37:21
Link | Citer | R

Hell, even outside of the realm of "scientific advancement", for the longest time people thought it was impossible to run a sub-four-minute mile until Roger Bannister did it. Now atheletes do it regulary.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-04-24 09:14:21
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
You mean like when people believed the earth was flat and you can never sail straight to reach another land, or you will fall off the earth?

Or reach the moon?

Or develop a weapon so horrible it would destroy an entire civilization in less than a minute?

Nuclear weapons aren't that bad. They are bad, but their effects have been dramatically overhyped by the media, they have some pretty severe limitations that restricts their use. Biological weapons on the other hand, those are FAR more dangerous that smashing atoms together in the home for a semi-controlled fusion boosted fission reaction.
 Garuda.Chanti
Serveur: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-04-24 09:22:13
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Hoshiku said: »
What do you mean by junk DNA having something to do with protein folding? For DNA to make the translation to protein it would be included in an exon and therefore translated to amino acids. I didn't think anything in an exon is considered junk DNA? Admittedly I work in developmental immunology so there's plenty I don't know about DNA but I was pretty sure that junk DNA wasn't referring to exons.
DNA does not make any transition to anything. It codes instructions for protein folding.

Fly-Casting in Protein - DNA Binding: Frustration between Protein Folding
and Electrostatics Facilitates Target Recognition

(Do not blame the title on me)
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-24 09:26:19
Link | Citer | R

It'd have been better if he said 'city' than 'civilization'.

Biological/Chemical weapons are more frightening because the contagions could be spread and dying via these methods is extremely horrific. Being nuked in comparison is quick and painless.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-24 09:27:50
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Saevel said: »

Or reach the moon?

Nuclear weapons aren't that bad. They are bad, but their effects have been dramatically overhyped by the media, they have some pretty severe limitations that restricts their use. Biological weapons on the other hand, those are FAR more dangerous that smashing atoms together in the home for a semi-controlled fusion boosted fission reaction.
I was talking about the internet.

How else can you destroy a whole civilization in less than a minute other than to post misinformation to stir up discord and enmity among a group of people.

It worked for the Arab Spring....
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2015-04-24 09:41:38
Link | Citer | R

As I can see it has affected you in some way.
As an English teacher, kinda, yeah. Typically, I don't make comments, but when the issue is so glaring, it's hard for me to restrain myself. Remember, I'm not grading you. I'm grading the error.
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-24 09:43:41
Link | Citer | R

I'm not grading you. I'm grading the error.

Y U DO TIS 2 MEE?
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2015-04-24 09:51:22
Link | Citer | R

No chuckle, and your pain has no meaning.

GOOD DAY TO YOU, SIR
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-24 09:54:40
Link | Citer | R

No chuckle, and your pain has no meaning.

GOOD DAY TO YOU, SIR

All pain has meaning, man.

You're an English teacher. You know this.

If pain had no meaning you wouldn't make kids read "classic" literature that's just terrible.

YOU HEAR THAT, MRS. KESSLER?! GREAT EXPECTATIONS AND RETURN OF THE NATIVE ARE COMPLETE ***!

[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2015-04-24 10:05:55
Link | Citer | R

If pain had no meaning you wouldn't make kids read "classic" literature that's just terrible.
Oh, you wanna fight? Believe you me, I can throw down in this thread if this is what you want. I don't even care about the topic. Designer babies? Yeah, whatever. FISTICUFFS, SIRRAH!
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-24 10:08:56
Link | Citer | R

Oh, you wanna fight? Believe you me, I can throw down in this thread if this is what you want. I don't even care about the topic. Designer babies? Yeah, whatever. FISTICUFFS, SIRRAH!

I dunno. I've seen your picture. And I see your beard is as rugged as mine. You really want a piece of this, knowing you could lose as likely as win?

I think, instead, we should pull a Wonder Boy and Nasty Man combo move and become Tenacious B(eards).
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2015-04-24 10:17:20
Link | Citer | R

I see what you're saying. Instead of using our obviously tremendous powers against each other, we should combine our efforts and promote love....... AND PEACE!

Just like Wonderboy and Young Nasty Man.
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-24 10:44:06
Link | Citer | R

love....... AND PEACE!

[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-04-24 10:56:48
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Saevel said: »

Or reach the moon?

I was talking about the internet.

How else can you destroy a whole civilization in less than a minute other than to post misinformation to stir up discord and enmity among a group of people.

It worked for the Arab Spring....

Ahh yeah I see. Thought virus's (idea's) are much more dangerous then any other weapon mankind has ever created.

Quote:
It'd have been better if he said 'city' than 'civilization'.

Biological/Chemical weapons are more frightening because the contagions could be spread and dying via these methods is extremely horrific. Being nuked in comparison is quick and painless.

Chemical weapons are only effective if your talking cost vs destruction, otherwise they are too limited. Nukes waste entirely too much of their power kill birds and sterilizing the upper atmosphere to really get a high kill count. Biological weapons on the other hand are just downright effective. Minimal delivery mechanism needed, impossible to detect or intercept the delivery vehicle and use's your opponents own people against them. When it comes down to potential kill-count, absolutely nothing beats biological. The only down side is there is an amazingly high chance of it effecting your own people, and even if you developed an antidote / vaccine ahead of time, there is the possibility it will mutate in the target population and render your preparations worthless. It's potential for mass destruction is the reason nobody wants to develop them, too damn dangerous.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Serveur: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-04-24 11:15:14
Link | Citer | R

On topic. I don't think it's the designer babies everyone has a problem with.... It's not even a problem with the evil scientists like myself working towards a world without ugliness.... and midgets. Scientists are gunna science...it's what we do and I think everyone is on board with that.

If we are honest with ourselves, the real problem we have is with the people who want to have the designer babies. We Hate Them and we don't want them to have nice things.

Or anything else that they might want... whatever they want is wrong and they should feel bad for wanting it.

and we're all going to sit here and gripe about it until the time comes that a break-thru is made. And your gynecologist is going to come to you, the anxious newly pregnant couple and offer you a few options,

what if we could guarantee that your new baby won't have autism? or cancer? or als? or heart disease? or nearsightedness? or bad breath? or aunt alice's weak ankles?

oh honey what about the diabetes that runs in your family?

now we're talking

it just so happens that we can eliminate that too.....

and by the way... would you prefer blue eyes? or brown?
[+]
 Asura.Hoshiku
user: Hoshiku
By Asura.Hoshiku 2015-04-24 11:34:04
Link | Citer | R

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Asura.Hoshiku said: »
What do you mean by junk DNA having something to do with protein folding? For DNA to make the translation to protein it would be included in an exon and therefore translated to amino acids. I didn't think anything in an exon is considered junk DNA? Admittedly I work in developmental immunology so there's plenty I don't know about DNA but I was pretty sure that junk DNA wasn't referring to exons.
DNA does not make any transition to anything. It codes instructions for protein folding.

Fly-Casting in Protein - DNA Binding: Frustration between Protein Folding
and Electrostatics Facilitates Target Recognition

(Do not blame the title on me)

http://www.nature.com/scitable/topicpage/translation-dna-to-mrna-to-protein-393

translation, not transition
 Leviathan.Protey
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-04-24 12:33:26
Link | Citer | R

My fear is that some jerks who have an obsession with controlling others argue "welfare of the child" and demand laws be put in place so that parents are required to genetically manipulate their child. /shudders.

Because it would be a damn shame if you had to guarantee your child didn't have a genetic disorder.

Yes it would. Who are you to tell me I have to alter my child. If my parents had done something like that to me I would disown them.
[+]
Guide Maker
By Seha 2015-04-24 12:34:46
Link | Citer | R

The religious nuts make debating this topic impossible.
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-24 12:41:41
Link | Citer | R

Yes it would. Who are you to tell me I have to alter my child.

Oh look, more genetic arrogance.

"My genes are so important they must be passed on, even if they're faulty and will lead to unnecessary adversity for my child. *pounds chest* FOR GOD AND 'MURICA!*"
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-24 12:43:52
Link | Citer | R

If my parents had done something like that to me I would disown them.

Except they could have saved your life. You could have had a deadly congenital heart defect that caused you to die in infancy.

So they'd have saved your life so you could treat them like ***for doing so.
 Leviathan.Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-04-24 12:44:28
Link | Citer | R

Yes it would. Who are you to tell me I have to alter my child.

Oh look, more genetic arrogance.

"My genes are so important they must be passed on, even if they're faulty and will lead to unnecessary adversity for my child. *pounds chest* FOR GOD AND 'MURICA!*

oh look, more idiotic arrogance where you think what you believe is best for someone else must take place. *pounds chest* FOR MY IVORY TOWER!
[+]
 Leviathan.Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-04-24 12:45:21
Link | Citer | R

If my parents had done something like that to me I would disown them.

Except they could have saved your life. You could have had a deadly congenital heart defect that caused you to die in infancy.

So they'd have saved your life so you could treat them like ***for doing so.

So what.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-24 12:46:20
Link | Citer | R

oh look, more idiotic arrogance where you think what you believe is best for someone else must take place. *pounds chest* FOR MY IVORY TOWER!

Aww. You're trying to turn it around!

That's ADORABLE!

more idiotic arrogance where you think what you believe is best for someone else must take place.

That's like when people say evolution is "just a theory".

There's no question that eliminating genetic diseases is what's best for people. There is potentially a basis for fear of abuses if taken further, but the core concept isn't questionable as a good thing.

Talk to a couple trying to conceive or that wanted a baby and have had a miscarriage/stillbirth/etc. sometime and ask them if they're happy with "God's big plan".
 Garuda.Chanti
Serveur: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-04-24 12:51:56
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
Violet like Liz Taylor.
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-24 12:53:07
Link | Citer | R

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Shiva.Nikolce said: »
Violet like Liz Taylor.

SMILEY FACE LIKE IN LAST ACTION HERO!

[+]