Gender Issue Clickbait Of The Day

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » gender issue clickbait of the day
gender issue clickbait of the day
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Serveur: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-11-03 13:43:14
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Jassik said: »
What makes you think that transgenders are "on the rise"? Similar to gays, once they can speak about their lives without being beaten in the streets (for the most part), they become more visible, but that doesn't mean there are any more or less of them.
What makes you think that transgenders aren't "on the rise"? Similar to gays, once social acceptance becomes more routine and the topic is covered in more media, the idea that 'I could live as a woman' becomes more known. Knowing this is an option can influence the mindset of someone who may otherwise not have even felt they were unhappy with their gender. Kids see that women are treated universally better, and want a piece of it(maybe even subconsciously). Perhaps this explains why male-to-female is over three times more common than female-to-male by most estimates.

tldr; cite a study or you're just spinning theories.. it's pretty plain that there are significantly more visible transgenders in the last decade(particularly the last few years), the obvious conclusion isn't that prevalence hasn't changed
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-11-03 13:46:55
Link | Citer | R

Women are treated universally better. Wat?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-11-03 13:58:07
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Atheryn said: »
Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Normal is relative to society, not individuals. Individuals might have ideals or a normative perspective, though.
Wait, did you contradict your own post there?

You are saying that the idea of normality is not an individualistic idea, but individuals can have different ideas of normality?
He did not.

He said that what is actually considered normal is relative to society not the indivudual... Having stated that though, he went on to explain that it does not always stop people from having a differing perspective...

So it is..... except when it isn't.
Trying to figure out if you two are intentionally doing this or are just this incredibly dense.

Maybe if I explain it like this...

Murder is wrong! (societal norm) This is normal.
I don't think murder is wrong when you kill a pedophile! (Personal perspective) This is what an idividual thinks should be normal.

Just because I think something is normal or it's normal to me doesn't dictate that it is, in fact, normal to the majority of people. Society on the whole usually develops a kind of status quo and generally the term normal is run off of that.

Putting ketchup on my hot dogs is, in my mind, normal to me. Ask anyone else within 50 miles from me and 95% of em will call me disgusting lol... The way I eat my hotdog does not actually fit into the norm.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-11-03 14:01:35
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
What makes you think that transgenders are "on the rise"? Similar to gays, once they can speak about their lives without being beaten in the streets (for the most part), they become more visible, but that doesn't mean there are any more or less of them.
What makes you think that transgenders aren't "on the rise"? Similar to gays, once social acceptance becomes more routine and the topic is covered in more media, the idea that 'I could live as a woman' becomes more known. Knowing this is an option can influence the mindset of someone who may otherwise not have even felt they were unhappy with their gender. Kids see that women are treated universally better, and want a piece of it(maybe even subconsciously). Perhaps this explains why male-to-female is over three times more common than female-to-male by most estimates.

tldr; cite a study or you're just spinning theories.. it's pretty plain that there are significantly more visible transgenders in the last decade(particularly the last few years), the obvious conclusion isn't that prevalence hasn't changed
Just wondering where your study is that backs up anything you just said right there...
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-11-03 14:11:47
Link | Citer | R

Just wondering where your study is that backs up anything you just said right there...

That's kind of my point(as stated in the tldr). Anyone can say a whole lot of crap that sounds rational, it doesn't make it accurate.

Liberals will gladly take Jassik's post as fact and consider mine garbage, when the reality is that neither has any credibility at all.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-11-03 14:13:47
Link | Citer | R

I hope to live long enough to see the day where men rush out in droves for a gender reassignment surgery to get all these 'perks' to being female.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Serveur: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-03 14:16:24
Link | Citer | R

I didn't propose any theory, I said that just because you are more aware of them doesn't mean that there are any more or less of them. I'd like to cite hundreds of years of scientific methodology: correlation is not causation.

Do you think that in the 1960's blacks suddenly became more intelligent because people started listening to them?

Also, more gender reassignment surgeries could simply be a result of more physicians offering them, being covered by insurance as treatment, or more societal acceptance. It's not really an indication of anything in particular.

That's kind of my point(as stated in the tldr). Anyone can say a whole lot of crap that sounds rational, it doesn't make it accurate.

Liberals will gladly take Jassik's post as fact and consider mine garbage, when the reality is that neither has any credibility at all.

Try again, there is nothing political or definitive about what I said. You just argued with me by saying basically the same thing I was saying.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-11-03 14:19:06
Link | Citer | R

I didn't propose any theory, I said that just because you are more aware of them doesn't mean that there are any more or less of them. I'd like to cite hundreds of years of scientific methodology: correlation is not causation.
You implied that there aren't any more or less than them. Unknown transgenders are not a variable you can control for(at least not in the context of a message board post), but known transgenders have rapidly increased. The obvious conclusion is that there are more transgenders, not that there are more factors resulting in their appearance. Your theory may explain the increase, but until it's demonstrated using credible research, it's only a possible explanation.

Quote:
Do you think that in the 1960's blacks suddenly became more intelligent because people started listening to them?
i love when liberal white people try to play the black card
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-11-03 14:20:28
Link | Citer | R

Except we've seen what happens when societies attempt to impose draconian, fascist, 'you must aspire to X' gender norms thrown out in this thread.

People die, massive amounts of abuse/coverups, ***gets driven underground which feeds criminality, a small cadre of winners emerges and everyone is generally gripped by paranoia/hysteria which serves to only feed the 'deviant' behavior. Why do you think the most homophobic guys tend to be secretly gay? It's all projection and posturing. People lying to themselves and others in order to appease the masses.

I for one would aspire to live in a society where people tell the truth. If you're gay, you're gay. If you're straight, you're straight. The sooner we know these things, the quicker we come to an understanding and generally quit putting the emphasis on it that mirrors racial divides.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-11-03 14:21:46
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Except we've seen what happens when societies attempt to impose draconian, fascist, 'you must aspire to X' gender norms thrown out in this thread.

People die, massive amounts of abuse/coverups, ***gets driven underground which feeds criminality, a small cadre of winners emerges and everyone is generally gripped by paranoia/hysteria which serves to only feed the 'deviant' behavior. Why do you think the most homophobic guys tend to be secretly gay? It's all projection and posturing. People lying to themselves and others in order to appease the masses.

I for one would aspire to live in a society where people tell the truth. If you're gay, you're gay. If you're straight, you're straight. The sooner we know these things, the quicker we come to an understanding and generally quit putting the emphasis on it that mirrors racial divides.

That's a great hypothesis, and I'm sure it's accurate that some amount of transexuals have lived in secrecy due to social pressure.

To claim that the increased transexuality is solely caused by coming out, you're going to need to do better than that though.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-11-03 14:24:43
Link | Citer | R

Normal is relative to society, not individuals. Individuals might have ideals or a normative perspective, though.

You are saying that the idea of normality is not an individualistic idea, but individuals can have different ideas of normality?
He did not.

He said that what is actually considered normal is relative to society not the indivudual... Having stated that though, he went on to explain that it does not always stop people from having a differing perspective...

Trying to figure out if you two are intentionally doing this or are just this incredibly dense.

I don't think murder is wrong when you kill a pedophile! (Personal perspective) This is what an idividual thinks should be normal.

Just because I think something is normal or it's normal to me doesn't dictate that it is, in fact, normal to the majority of people. Society on the whole usually develops a kind of status quo and generally the term normal is run off of that.

Putting ketchup on my hot dogs is, in my mind, normal to me. Ask anyone else within 50 miles from me and 95% of em will call me disgusting lol... The way I eat my hotdog does not actually fit into the norm.
Congratulations, you have proved my point in your post when you are trying to attack it.

Blazed1979 said: »
Now we got *** Thor becoming a female. Gonna set me back at least a month in bringing my sons up to be normal.
What do you consider normal?
Besides the obvious smart-*** remark, normal is relative, as each person's definition of "normal" is completely different from everyone else's definition.

Best to not ask what somebody else's definition of normal is, and discover your own definition.

Again, we all know you are trying to troll everyone because that's what you do best
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-11-03 14:26:06
Link | Citer | R

For flag draped freedom lovers many of you trend dangerously towards fascism.

Might wanna get that checked out.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-03 14:29:47
Link | Citer | R

You implied that there aren't any more or less than them. Unknown transgenders are not a variable you can control for(at least not in the context of a message board post), but known transgenders have rapidly increased. The obvious conclusion is that there are more transgenders, not that there are more factors resulting in their appearance. Your theory may explain the increase, but until it's demonstrated using credible research, it's only a possible explanation.

I didn't imply anything...

once they can speak about their lives without being beaten in the streets (for the most part), they become more visible, but that doesn't mean there are any more or less of them.

Seeing more of them doesn't mean there are actually more. There's no theory in that, it's a purely scientific approach, bubba. You can't pretend that standard scientific methodology only applies when it's something you agree with.

Also, people as a whole need to dispose of the idea that everything is partisan or even political.

Quote:

i love when liberal white people try to play the black card

It's called a parallel. Accusing me of pulling the race card is a pretty flaccid attempt to discredit what I said.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-03 14:35:50
Link | Citer | R

He did not.

Congratulations, you have proved my point in your post when you are trying to attack it.

Blazed1979 said: »
Now we got *** Thor becoming a female. Gonna set me back at least a month in bringing my sons up to be normal.
Besides the obvious smart-*** remark, normal is relative, as each person's definition of "normal" is completely different from everyone else's definition.

Best to not ask what somebody else's definition of normal is, and discover your own definition.

Again, we all know you are trying to troll everyone because that's what you do best

Sparth understood what I said just fine and then spoon fed it to you twice. Society determines norms. Individuals may have their own opinion.

I'll use triangulation as a good example. A device is transmitting a signal at a known strength. 3 receivers hear the signal at varying strengths and can estimate the distance from them. Combined, they determine where that signal originates. An individual places an idea at a certain normalcy, but it requires many perspectives to determine the norm. It's dangerous to equalize everyone's opinion in those terms, because the people on the fringes ideals are not normal, and should not be considered so.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-11-03 14:38:49
Link | Citer | R

Each person's definition of normal is not completely different from everyone else's though. even differeing opinions are shared to an extent as well. That is the point. It's the fact that the majority of people feel the same way about or do something the same way that makes it normal. So no. I did not prove your point at all lol...

If every person has a differing definition of what normal is the only thing that would be normal is that nothing is normal...

Also, I wasn't even responding to your post that you copy pasted into your most recent response. I responded to the reply you had to Jassik's post and then the Aetheryn guy... In any case mine most certainly did not support yours in any way...
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-11-03 14:44:34
Link | Citer | R

Seeing more of them doesn't mean there are actually more. There's no theory in that, it's a purely scientific approach, bubba. You can't pretend that standard scientific methodology only applies when it's something you agree with.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/15532730902799946

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0890856709625429

there's clearly a significantly higher prevalence of known gender dysphoria cases in recent years

you can try to explain why, but without rigid methodology not many people are going to interpret 'there are way more transgender cases' as 'there are the same amount of transgenders as always'
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-03 14:49:37
Link | Citer | R

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/15532730902799946

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0890856709625429

there's clearly a significantly higher prevalence of known gender dysphoria cases in recent years

you can try to explain why, but without rigid methodology not many people are going to interpret 'there are way more transgender cases' as 'there are the same amount of transgenders as always'

You're saying the same thing I said...
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-11-03 14:52:00
Link | Citer | R

Also, I wasn't even responding to your post that you copy pasted into your most recent response. I responded to the reply you had to Jassik's post and then the Aetheryn guy... In any case mine most certainly did not support yours in any way...
Contradiction much?

Just admit it, you are creating an argument and trying to troll people because, in essence, that's all you ever do on this forum
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-11-03 15:40:25
Link | Citer | R

Contradiction much?

Just admit it, you are creating an argument and trying to troll people because, in essence, that's all you ever do on this forum
lol... I guess I need to specify with you since you have a hard time understanding anything that's posted.

You finished off the post I was referring to referencing the original response to mine which I ignored.

I replied to your response to Jassik which only showed your inability to comprehend simple premises...

You then went on to try and twist things around which only showed further that you can't grasp simple concepts then followed it up by calling me a troll lol...

Makes you wonder who's actually doing the trolling or if you really are just that dumb.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-11-03 15:52:17
Link | Citer | R

Contradiction much?

lol... I guess I need to specify with you since you have a hard time understanding anything that's posted.

You finished off the post I was referring to referencing the original response to mine which I ignored.

I replied to your response to Jassik which only showed your inability to comprehend simple premises...

You then went on to try and twist things around which only showed further that you can't grasp simple concepts then followed it up by calling me a troll lol...

Makes you wonder who's actually doing the trolling or if you really are just that dumb.
Why are you arguing with me anyway? I said that "normal" is relative, Jassik agrees by disagreeing with me, you chime in trying to pick a fight that doesn't exist, even going further into it by saying exactly what I said to begin with, but still, you are trying to pick a fight that doesn't exist.

Seriously, what's your problem with me anyway?
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-11-03 16:07:37
Link | Citer | R

I don't treat you any differently than anyone else here with the exception of Jet because he's just human garbage...

Someone posts... Another person replies to that post... it's also a simple concept.

I'd say you're more sensitive or possibly defensive than most if you think I'm singling you out... Good luck with that though.

Also, What you still don't seem to be able to grasp is that Jassik did not agree with you at all. Neither did I but you can keep saing that all you like...
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-11-03 16:12:06
Link | Citer | R

Also, What you still don't seem to be able to grasp is that Jassik did not agree with you at all. Neither did I but you can keep saing that all you like...
What did you and Jassik said anyway?

"Normality is relative to the individual, it's not just society who dictates it"

What did I say again?

"Normality is relative to the individual"

Do you not see the similarities? Heck, it's an exact copy!
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-03 16:33:28
Link | Citer | R

"Normality is relative to the individual, it's not just society who dictates it"

What did I say again?

Normal isn't completely different for everyone, it's a composition of people's perceptions as a whole. That's the key difference between what me and Flavin have said and the point you keep making. Normal doesn't exist on the individual level, and I've explained why it's destructive to give equal credence to extremists.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-11-03 16:39:50
Link | Citer | R

Except that's not what Jassik or I said at all.

It's like I'm having a conversation with a potato...
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-11-03 16:54:15
Link | Citer | R

What did I say again?

Normal isn't completely different for everyone, it's a composition of people's perceptions as a whole. That's the key difference between what me and Flavin have said and the point you keep making. Normal doesn't exist on the individual level, and I've explained why it's destructive to give equal credence to extremists.
The concept of normal is relative to the individual and is stated by the individual.

Society doesn't dictate normality, it dictates a set standard for people to live by. That is where you are getting confused with the subject of perception (which normality is a principle of).

A person may think it is completely normal to eat hamburgers with ketchup, but to somebody who doesn't like tomatoes, that is not their standard of normality.

But if you want to tie normality with extremism, go ahead and make that argument all day. Doesn't mean that you are correct (based on the concept that normality and extremism are polar opposites).
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-03 17:07:04
Link | Citer | R

What did I say again?

The concept of normal is relative to the individual and is stated by the individual.

Society doesn't dictate normality, it dictates a set standard for people to live by. That is where you are getting confused with the subject of perception (which normality is a principle of).

A person may think it is completely normal to eat hamburgers with ketchup, but to somebody who doesn't like tomatoes, that is not their standard of normality.

But if you want to tie normality with extremism, go ahead and make that argument all day. Doesn't mean that you are correct (based on the concept that normality and extremism are polar opposites).

Someone on the fringe's idea of normal is not normal.

Quote:

Normal - conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected.

The word "Normal" deals with society. You're just using it wrong.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-11-03 17:53:14
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
I hope to live long enough to see the day where men rush out in droves for a gender reassignment surgery to get all these 'perks' to being female.

Happening in Thailand right now and to a lessor extent Philippines.
[+]
 Leviathan.Protey
user: Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2014-11-03 18:08:00
Link | Citer | R

saying "normal" is dependent on the individual is a rather self-centered viewpoint. while certain aspects of normality can be based on just oneself (i.e.: it is normal for you to eat a certain type of food everyday), generally speaking "normal" refers to a behavior that 50% +1 of people do (i.e.: going to work/school). So if you were to say "I am normal", that would have to be in relation to society. Which is why I don't care to be normal because there are behaviors in this modern day that I find unacceptable, but the majority of people do find acceptable.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-11-10 10:19:25
Link | Citer | R

Hey, I love a good ketchup only hotdog.

I have serious issue with people who are only out to deconstruct traditional gender roles under the guise of "tolerance". Acceptance to many means you have to accept me while I ***all over you. A pretty big part of the feminazi movement which often disguises itself as feminism.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-11-10 10:23:29
Link | Citer | R

Speaking of gender issues, I had someone tell me the other day that hermaphrodite is now a four letter word. Is that accurate?

Why?