Phoenix.Michiiru
Serveur: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Michiiru
By Phoenix.Michiiru 2014-03-31 12:40:20
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »
Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
He didn't say he was using the dumbbells solely for Benching. Dumbbells have more versatility, and depending on what he's trying to improve, free weights without bars is better anyways.

You can use a barbell for exercises besides benching. Obviously a combination of dumbbells and barbell is good. The reason I suggested a bench set was mainly because over time if he needs to increase the weight.

I think it'll come down to preference what the user decides, but the dumbbells are typically a better choice as each arm is doing the same load but seperately.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Serveur: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-03-31 13:00:12
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Michiiru said: »
Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »
He didn't say he was using the dumbbells solely for Benching. Dumbbells have more versatility, and depending on what he's trying to improve, free weights without bars is better anyways.
You can use a barbell for exercises besides benching. Obviously a combination of dumbbells and barbell is good. The reason I suggested a bench set was mainly because over time if he needs to increase the weight.
I think it'll come down to preference what the user decides, but the dumbbells are typically a better choice as each arm is doing the same load but seperately.

Well, that's why he linked in adjustable dumbbells that range from 10-90lbs.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Serveur: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-03-31 13:21:09
Link | Citer | R

Well, that's why he linked in adjustable dumbbells that range from 10-90lbs.

I only saw the bowflex ones. Didn't think those adjustable ones went that high- damn!

Oh hey have any of you used this brand of belt before?

Gold's Gym Leather Belt

It's on sale, and I need a new belt. I was debating between this one and the Valeo one.

Not sure if any non-online retailer sells better ones. Had got the one from GNC before but the velcro kept unfastening after a few months of use.
 Quetzalcoatl.Wulfie
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Wulfie 2014-03-31 13:27:47
Link | Citer | R

I've been working out at least every other day for 2 months now but I'm not seeing much results is there anything you guys reccommend I take or do differently?

I'm 24 6 foot 2 and 249lbs
My current workout is
20 sit ups
20 push ups
2 miles on an elipitical
2 miles of jogging outside
20 reps of 25lbs dung bells per arm
20 reps of 100lbs chest press
Squats till I get bored usually around 50
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-03-31 13:50:27
Link | Citer | R

Both those belts are good for lifting, walmart and nearby stores sell it. There are better ones for olympic lifting, but even I dont bother with those. Think i got one of those belts a few years ago, and then a nike one at ***'s sporting goods. The walmart ones are way better.

Like you, I have a cheap velcro one (actually had a great belt like the one you posted, but kept losing it) that I pretty much took from a gym buddy who doesn't lift anymore. Velcro sucks, but it does the job.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-03-31 13:57:17
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Wulfie said: »
I've been working out at least every other day for 2 months now but I'm not seeing much results is there anything you guys reccommend I take or do differently? I'm 24 6 foot 2 and 249lbs

This is difficult to answer because some information is missing:

What are you trying to achieve?
Weight/Fat loss?
Are you trying to get cut/lean/tone up?
Build muscle/Gain mass?
Improve athletic performance?
Get in shape for summer?

Also is difficult to analyze because I don't know what you are currently taking or eating, though this is a bit more technical.

Tell us what your fitness goals are and we can try to assist you.
 Fenrir.Weakness
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Weakness
By Fenrir.Weakness 2014-03-31 14:07:01
Link | Citer | R

I've been working out at least every other day for 2 months now but I'm not seeing much results is there anything you guys reccommend I take or do differently?

My current workout is
20 sit ups
20 push ups
2 miles on an elipitical

Like Buuki said, it depends entirely on what kind of results you want.

If you're looking to lose fat, diet and cardio cardio cardio really work wonders.

The tone thing I'll let other people answer because I could never master this one. (Read as, I totally suck at it and will never have a six-pack)

And for gains in muscle building and such, it takes A LOT of dedication. I would honestly recommend shopping around for a trainer if you're looking to bulk up. It isn't required by any means, but I personally found that if I have someone keeping me responsible for what I'm eating and how often/what I lift I get much better/faster results.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-03-31 14:07:48
Link | Citer | R

My current workout is
20 sit ups
20 push ups
2 miles on an elipitical

100 sit ups
100 push ups
(break down into sets of 20-25 until able to do full 100 non stop, when able to do that aim for 300 in sets of 100)

3-5 miles on an elliptical or outside.
20 miles if using a stationary bike.

30 reps of curls (10reps x 3 sets.)
30 reps of fly press (10 reps x3 sets)
30 reps of chest press (10 reps x 3 sets)
30 reps of shoulder press (10 reps x3 sets)

30 reps of back press/laying chest down on bench and pulling weight up to bottom of the bench (10 reps x3 sets)

30 reps of leg press (10 reps x3 sets)
30 reps of leg curls (10 reps x3 sets)
30 reps of squats (10 reps x3 sets)

In everything but the squats you should be upping your weights by 5 to 10 pounds every week. You may also want to do them in a circuit, moving from one to the other and taking a break in between cycles and repeat. This will build strength and get you toned. If you're trying to lose weight focus more on cycling 20mi. on a stationary (should take 45mins to 1hr) every 2 days.

If you want to see fast results incorporate "Blurpies" into your non weighted work outs.
 Shiva.Onorgul
Serveur: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-03-31 17:08:28
Link | Citer | R

My current workout is
20 sit ups
20 push ups
2 miles on an elipitical
Considering this isn't a particularly intense workout, I'm guessing you're just trying to lose some weight and/or get "toned"? I mean, it doesn't really sound like you're doing much unless you're really weak.

That said, if you are actually trying to drop weight, that is 90% food and 10% exercise. If you're trying to build muscle, you still have to eat enough/the right stuff, but you should also be doing a lot more. This is assuming that this constitutes the bulk of your exercise. If you have a highly physical job, situation changes.
 Quetzalcoatl.Wulfie
By Quetzalcoatl.Wulfie 2014-03-31 17:23:19
Link | Citer | R

Sorry kinda new to the whole thing lol.

As for my goals I'm trying to just lose weight and get cut. Not looking to gain mass or get really muscular I just want a subtle tone and be able to fit in say a medium shirt size.

My diet is generally all over the place.

Currently I am maintaining under 2000 calories a day with mostly salads with low/fat-free dressings and a lot of fruits. Only drinking water.

I'm not taking any dietary pills or muscle gaining proteins or anything to that nature because frankly I don't know enough about them and don't want to use the wrong thing and end up with crazy side effects.
 Fenrir.Weakness
By Fenrir.Weakness 2014-03-31 18:15:01
Link | Citer | R

Sorry kinda new to the whole thing lol.

As for my goals I'm trying to just lose weight and get cut. Not looking to gain mass or get really muscular I just want a subtle tone and be able to fit in say a medium shirt size.

My diet is generally all over the place.

Currently I am maintaining under 2000 calories a day with mostly salads with low/fat-free dressings and a lot of fruits. Only drinking water.

I'm not taking any dietary pills or muscle gaining proteins or anything to that nature because frankly I don't know enough about them and don't want to use the wrong thing and end up with crazy side effects.

Your diet is going to be the bulk of what you want.

Stick with lean proteins, namely chicken and turkey (can toss in the occasional pork loin to add variety). Lower your sodium intake (which means you gotta cook a lot of your own food) and plenty of dark greens like spinach and romaine lettuce. For snacks look at things like raw almonds that will fill you up without being too horrible calorie wise. And sadly, lower the carb intake as much as you can... despite cookies and ***being awesome. Don't try and cut carbs all together, but stick with whole grain breads, brown rice, etc.

Protein powders aren't some horrible thing to be scared of either. They make great meal replacements (especially a quick breakfast while running out the door) and if doing a pre/post workout drink they help add calories and minimize muscle soreness. I recommend Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey or Dymatize Nutrition ISO 100. The ON is a little cheaper, but the Dymatize tastes better in my opinion. Both are pretty top notch ***though, I personally use Dymatize but have used ON in the past.

Also, cardio cardio cardio. I'm not a big fan of elipticals honestly, but if it is what you got, use it. Stationary upright bikes with a higher resistance are nice, as is just plain old running.

I'm in the same boat as you right now. I'm 28 years old 6'2" and 245 lbs. I'm looking to drop down to the 200~215 range again and be able to run a mile flat out without feeling like I'm about to puke after. Got a year to make it happen, and according to my trainer (and my wife's) it is a reasonable goal and I shouldn't have any problems hitting it as long as I take care of what I eat and keep up with cardio 6/7 of the week and weights every other day.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-03-31 18:17:16
Link | Citer | R

Is your job sedentary?

It really sounds like you need to step up the intensity. You may also want to closely examine your diet to make sure your numbers are accurate. At your weight, under 2000 calories should easily be netting you some weight loss, though depending on your activity level you could probably racket it down to 1600-1800 and see if that kick-starts anything.

As for supplements, if you're not really trying to get big, there's really nothing worth taking. Caffeine is helpful as it helps reduce appetite, but that's neither necessary nor important. Protein is something to supplement if you suspect you're lacking in protein and need an easy way to cover the lapse, but bear in mind that given a choice between a 200-calorie protein shake and half a chicken breast, the latter is always the better option.

It might help if you describe what you're eating more extensively. Salad is a great way to get in roughage, but I would be cautious with fruit. Whole fruit is good, it has fiber and micronutrients that are often missing in juices, but fruit is a huge source of sugar, too. If you're lacking in protein intake, that could well be what is holding you back. Lots of people dieting based on popular info end up becoming carb-itarians and, even at a calorie deficit, a high-carb diet tends to discourage weight loss and hinder muscular development, especially if you're so protein-deficient that your body is forced to eat its own muscles to make aminos.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-03-31 18:19:42
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Weakness said: »
I'm in the same boat as you right now. I'm 28 years old 6'2" and 245 lbs. I'm looking to drop down to the 200~215 range again and be able to run a mile flat out without feeling like I'm about to puke after. Got a year to make it happen, and according to my trainer (and my wife's) it is a reasonable goal and I shouldn't have any problems hitting it as long as I take care of what I eat and keep up with cardio 6/7 of the week and weights every other day.
A year to pull 30 lbs. off your frame and improve your mile? At age 28? You could do that before summer is over and it wouldn't even be hard. Don't sell yourself short with too conservative a goal.
 Fenrir.Weakness
By Fenrir.Weakness 2014-03-31 18:23:33
Link | Citer | R

I completely skipped over the fruit part. Onorgul said it pretty well though.

I would try keep it to 3~4 servings of fruit a day, and replace whatever else with veggies. Baby carrots *** rock, celery, broccoli, etc etc.
 Fenrir.Weakness
By Fenrir.Weakness 2014-03-31 18:27:47
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Fenrir.Weakness said: »
A year to pull 30 lbs. off your frame and improve your mile? At age 28? You could do that before summer is over and it wouldn't even be hard. Don't sell yourself short with too conservative a goal.

I work an A shift (24 on 48 off) and go to school on B shift, and then have C shift off. And come June I start clinicals for school which will have to take up my C shifts. So I'm trying to be conservative with my goals so I don't get too discouraged since I don't have a lot of time. I unfortunately can't make it to the gym every day like my wife, so I just bum her trainer when I can to get advice. Everything I do I do in a tiny back room of the house.

New bike shows up on Wednesday, so I can stop this going outside and running nonsense. Gonna try and do as far and much as I can in 30 minutes every morning.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-03-31 19:05:19
Link | Citer | R

Yes Zero and Onorgul are correct. You should push yourself a bit more than what you're currently doing.

When it comes to protein, something cheap like chicken breast or rotisserie chicken (stores sell a whole chicken for like 5 bucks), tuna, some salmon, egg whites - this is what I call "free protein". Should get into the habit of cutting fatty meats out of your diet and work towards the leaner ones, like turkey etc.

Also, the point about protein shakes is great, but if you're unfamiliar with protein shakes, go to your local walmart and purchase something cheap, like EAS protein or Body Fortress whey protein. Taste varying, its the same sht as whats in GNC and Vitamin Shoppe, and will be lighter on your pocket too. I don't even buy name brand protein anymore, because the industry is so polluted with false advertising.

And just to comment on your caloric intake - you say 2000, but some people don't realize how little that is for a person your size. You can hit those calories off of 3 well-sized meals, depending on what you're eating.

Probably would benefit you to start counting your calories (there are apps for your phone you can download) to start getting an idea of how much you take in on a daily basis, and then from there, reduce or increase.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Serveur: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-03-31 19:16:10
Link | Citer | R

I must be getting old; got tired climbing up the stairs to go to class today. Had to take a few seconds between the second and third floors @.@
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-03-31 19:35:28
Link | Citer | R

Should get into the habit of cutting fatty meats out of your diet and work towards the leaner ones, like turkey etc.
Need to vent about something that's been bugging the crap outta me. This isn't a rant against you, you just reminded me of something that has bugged me for a long time.

I occasionally turn on the Biggest Loser and they make a big deal about a certain brand of ground turkey (because they're a sponsor and they need the money, I get it). What annoys me is the implication that ground turkey is somehow better than ground beef. When both of them have 15% fat by weight, that means they're essentially identical, especially in terms of fat content. So obnoxious. I can get incredibly lean beef, stuff that's allegedly like 4% fat, and it will topple all the ground turkey I see in the store.

People need to read the label, not just the marketing hype. Ugh.

Again, not saying anything against you or your advice, Buukki.

@Tiger: You done anything about your anemia yet?
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-03-31 19:39:16
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
@Tiger: You done anything about your anemia yet?
I picked up a different otc iron pill than the one I was taking before. Aside from that can't afford anything else.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-03-31 19:55:43
Link | Citer | R

How much iron are you taking a day?
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Serveur: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2014-03-31 20:02:38
Link | Citer | R

Consuming iron is one thing, absorbing it is something else. Check out the rest of your diet and see if it helps or hurts iron absorption.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-03-31 20:07:29
Link | Citer | R

Two 65 mg tablets; also take b12 and folic acid
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-03-31 20:12:57
Link | Citer | R

Ok, so I consulted on this.

The likelihood that you're low on B12 or folate is not very high. It won't hurt to take that, but that's probably not the issue.

Two tablets is what was suggested, but as Amandarius pointed out, absorption is important. Take some vitamin C when you take your iron, it improves its absorption.

The biggest issue is that there could be a host of different problems with your hemoglobin, not least of which are sickle cell traits considering your ethnicity. You really need to get to see a doctor by some method and get a hemoglobin electrophoresis performed to check for any errors that may be responsible. I hope it's nothing and your body has just been fighting you, but it does have me worried (in spite of just being some guy in the internet, I know).

I know the doctor is kinda hard. Give it a month with the two iron tabs and a good dose of vitamin C with it. If you're still fatigued or testing low at the plasma center, you're really going to need to get checked out. At all costs, though, don't start going crazy with iron. Iron can do lots of really nasty things when there's too much of it.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-03-31 20:18:35
Link | Citer | R

I'll pick up some vit C tablets next time I'm out and give it a whirl.

The only issue with the doctor thing is even if I can get in... let's say something were to turn up; any money needed for treatment just went into that initial appointment and I'm right back where I started.
 Bismarck.Bloodbathboy
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Bloodbathboy 2014-03-31 21:15:39
Link | Citer | R

Glad to hear your doing better Tiger. And to the guy wanting to loss weight. Up your weights bro. Since my shoulder has healed I am gain weight but losing BF like crazy. I guess the point I am trying to make is the more muscle mass you carry the more BF you burn 24/7. Eat, but kkeep it clean for the most part. And here is a lil secert. Watch your carbs before bed.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Serveur: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-03-31 22:50:58
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Bloodbathboy said: »
Glad to hear your doing better Tiger. And to the guy wanting to loss weight. Up your weights bro. Since my shoulder has healed I am gain weight but losing BF like crazy. I guess the point I am trying to make is the more muscle mass you carry the more BF you burn 24/7. Eat, but kkeep it clean for the most part. And here is a lil secert. Watch your carbs before bed.

Is fat bad before bed also? Or is it primarily carbs? I'm trying to keep my bulk cycle as clean as possible but I have to eat a fatty meal before bed so was thinking of opting to olive oil instead.
 Bismarck.Bloodbathboy
By Bismarck.Bloodbathboy 2014-03-31 23:59:35
Link | Citer | R

I believe so bro. I would not myself.I am gpoing to do a summer so I am kind of hardcore about my diet.
 Quetzalcoatl.Wulfie
By Quetzalcoatl.Wulfie 2014-04-01 00:21:19
Link | Citer | R

My job has little to no exercise involved. I'm a teacher so the most I do is go up or a down a stair case like twice a day.

I'll try eating more chicken and/or fish. But I have been watching my calorie intake. There's days where I don't eat nothing at all. Not sure if that's detrimental to my weight loss or beneficial I just normally don't have time to eat or don't want to.

I don't know what it is about running but I can't run more than a couple 100 feet before I get tired and can't do more. However I can do miles upon miles on an elliptical or on a stationary bike.

As for my fruit intake it's limited to 1-2 a day. Like an Apple or a Strawberry. I don't eat much since I started counting calories, because I noticed just about anything will make me go over.
 Bismarck.Bloodbathboy
By Bismarck.Bloodbathboy 2014-04-01 00:37:52
Link | Citer | R

Its not good. It programs your body to store calories. Thanks prehistoric man for that, lol.
 Bismarck.Ihina
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-04-01 00:43:15
Link | Citer | R

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RehCW0KM8RM

SCIENCE
First Page 2 3 ... 48 49 50 ... 61 62 63