Polearm Sam Halp!

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Samurai » Polearm sam halp!
Polearm sam halp!
First Page 2
 Hades.Kvazz
Serveur: Hades
Game: FFXI
user: kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2010-02-11 20:59:12
Link | Citer | R

OK, so.. I'm concidering to level SAM, and I would love opinions on the polearm sets I'd probably ding into, and see if there's anything I can change at that time. (Like, before kittypants)

TP:

Haste+3 Acc+7 on ASA legs!

WS:

kupo-head with str+4 wsacc+15 acc+10 atk+5
using gorget on ws.

This would be primarily for non-merit mobs, and I'd probably be eating pizza+1.
Planning on doing 4\8 polearm merits, 5\5 stp ect ofcourse.
With the amount of stp on the WS set I think I'll need to only land 2 hits, should I make it a true 5hit or do less stp ect, any help would be great ^^,
Going to bed now, I'll check back in a few hrs!

Edit: forgot Sam can use the ASA legs, switched those in for some more acc rather than stp legs + fumas!
Edit2: Fixed first ws-set and added another.
 Pandemonium.Yov
Serveur: Pandemonium
user: poff
By Pandemonium.Yov 2010-02-11 21:48:33
Link | Citer | R

Get kitty pants, fuma/usu and dusk gloves to tp.

http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=32518
http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=110931
 Hades.Kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2010-02-11 21:52:11
Link | Citer | R

Pandemonium.Yov said:

Bleh, cant sleep..
Wont get a 5hit with fumas and dusk tho <_> 14% haste 5hit -> 20% 6hit no?
Or did I get that wrong?

Edit: And yeah, kittypants is an obvious upgrade, but my sam is only 37 atm :P And no other jobs leveled that can use them!
 Cerberus.Oblit
Serveur: Cerberus
user: oblit
By Cerberus.Oblit 2010-02-11 21:58:06
Link | Citer | R

Pandemonium.Yov said:

Might as well add Usu body there also for true 5 hit build...

I think he was asking if he should tp in less stp becuase he dont have those items yet.

You should be ok if you use hachiman hands/fuma feet for tp until you get usu feet.
 Hades.Kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2010-02-11 22:05:12
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Oblit said:
Pandemonium.Yov said:

I think he was asking if he should tp in less stp becuase he dont have those items yet.

You should be ok if you use hachiman hands/fuma feet for tp until you get usu feet.

So hachi hands + fumas for tp should be enough for a 5hit while I'm using my current ws setup?
 Cerberus.Oblit
Serveur: Cerberus
user: oblit
By Cerberus.Oblit 2010-02-11 22:16:17
Link | Citer | R

Hades.Kvazz said:
Cerberus.Oblit said:
Pandemonium.Yov said:

So hachi hands fumas for tp should be enough for a 5hit while I'm using my current ws setup?

well it wont be true 5hit, but ws tp return will be enough to compensate for the tp needed to hit 100%. Unless you miss 3 hits lol
 Hades.Kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2010-02-11 22:20:39
Link | Citer | R

Lol :P
Missing 3 hits on penta will eventually happen, is it better to play this safe or just let it gimp me once in awhile?
 Pandemonium.Yov
By Pandemonium.Yov 2010-02-11 22:29:10
Link | Citer | R

Why would you worry about a 5hit set up when your set totally lacks haste/acc and acc on ws set up?
You could need 2 hits on ws to get a 5hit but I still dont get in which situation that "5hit/4missonwsandptrandomtpreturn" would help you.
 Hades.Kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2010-02-11 22:32:54
Link | Citer | R

Pandemonium.Yov said:
Why would you worry about a 5hit set up when your set totally lacks haste/acc and acc on ws set up?
You could need 2 hits on ws to get a 5hit but I still dont get in which situation that "5hit/4missonwsandptrandomtpreturn" would help you.

I'm sorry I dont have full usukane at level 37?

As said, I'll probably eat accuracy food all the time.
Will get like 90% acc with crab sushi on birds with this set.

Edit:
I allso responded to your post earlier, will a 20% haste 6hit be better than 14% 5hit?
Never really got an answer D:

Edit2: Nvm, friend of mine worked that out.
With 50% additional haste (hasso, haste, double march + haste samba) would make the 20% haste 6hit better.
 Pandemonium.Yov
By Pandemonium.Yov 2010-02-11 22:48:10
Link | Citer | R

Is not about usu or not is about actually be able to constantly hit the mob.
Once you're 75 you will use the actual tp set you posted to tp your hit rate would be 67.5% , assuming your base DEX will be 70 using crab sushi would get you at 86% only by adding Hasso you would reach the 91%.
Replacing ASA pants with kitty pants would give you a boost of 7% acc but I'm tanking about VT stuffs like birds ,if you want to use polearm on ep mobs that should work , maybe.
 Hades.Kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2010-02-11 22:55:33
Link | Citer | R

Then help me figure out what I can ding into that would make me better rather than just trying to make ma look bad! :D
I wanted help afterall ^^

Few notes:
I'm not in a position to get ace's helm.
Byakko's heidate will eventually replace asa pants.
I will work towards usukane feet.
I will work towards a tomoe.

Anything else easy-to-obtain stuff I've forgotten about that I could use to improve myself as a totally fresh samurai?
(GKT build is figured out allready, only need help with polearm)
 Fenrir.Stiklelf
Serveur: Fenrir
user: stikle
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2010-02-11 23:07:28
Link | Citer | R

Halp.
 Pandemonium.Yov
By Pandemonium.Yov 2010-02-11 23:13:16
Link | Citer | R

Hades.Kvazz said:
Then help me figure out what I can ding into that would make me better rather than just trying to make ma look bad! :D
I wanted help afterall ^^

Few notes:
I'm not in a position to get ace's helm.
Byakko's heidate will eventually replace asa pants.
I will work towards usukane feet.
I will work towards a tomoe.

Anything else easy-to-obtain stuff I've forgotten about that I could use to improve myself as a totally fresh samurai?
(GKT build is figured out allready, only need help with polearm)

Try to use a 6hit build over a 5hit then o0?
I dont have ace's for my drk or even cuchu and I still can get 95% acc w/o food on my drk.
What I'd say is try to play /drg with 248skill ,(kitty pants), +46 acc, about 90 dex base , and sushi you'll have capped acc or with /war still a 93% acc on VT stuffs without using Hasso if you want a 5 hit build.
Then if you feel like swapping to Haste set up during tp mode over that ugly JSE is up to you
 Hades.Kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2010-02-11 23:22:37
Link | Citer | R

I do have \drg leveled, and I do have the earring, that would ofcourse be an option at times.

Edited, I'm tiered.
Once again, sense hit me in the face, for the 6hit to win over the 17% 5hit would need way too much haste.

Phoenix.Mogue
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Mogue
By Phoenix.Mogue 2010-02-11 23:33:21
Link | Citer | R

This is why we can't have nice things.
 Hades.Kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2010-02-11 23:34:43
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Mogue said:
This is why we can't have nice things.

You can get a manhug?
By Audra 2010-02-11 23:45:34
Link | Citer | R

Keep in mind with a 5-hit build you have a 59.049% chance of landing all 5 hits. With a 6-hit build you have a 53.1441% chance of landing all 6 hits. (Assuming you have 90% accuracy with both setups)

I know it's just me, but I've always been a lot more fond of accuracy than haste. Maybe it's my PUP roots since we don't get that much good haste gear. All of my haste comes from usukane lol.
 Hades.Kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2010-02-11 23:48:36
Link | Citer | R

That's true, but the 5hit and the 6hit build is exactly the same except for 3% haste vs 8stp, so the acc is the same.
I'm probably gonna stick with the 5hit unless somebody can fully explain why I rather should use a 6hit <_>
By Audra 2010-02-11 23:54:56
Link | Citer | R

Honestly, there isn't really a reason to use a 6 hit build over a 5 hit if you can pull it off with only the loss of 3% haste. A 6 hit build will be 14% slower in achieving 100 TP than a 5 hit build. It also feeds more TP to whatever you're fighting in the time it takes for you to reach the said 100 TP.
By Audra 2010-02-11 23:55:51
Link | Citer | R

a 6 hit build with 3% more haste will be 14% slower in reaching 100 tp*

wish i could edit, but theres not an option for that for me, so double post :P
 Hades.Kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2010-02-12 00:01:20
Link | Citer | R

Yeah, that's what my maths said too:P
I just wanna make sure I get this right, and people (sometimes) actually get help here. When they dont get flamed for something that is.
By Audra 2010-02-12 00:08:32
Link | Citer | R

Oh, just a tip for penta thrust... Stack DEX where you can. I do it on my WAR polearm build, and it does miracles. Example: Use 2x Thunder Rings. It's 10 DEX for mod, and 7.5 ACC. Or 1x Thunder Ring and your Rajas, since you seem to already have that one.

I'd definitely replace the STR ring with a DEX ring though... And possibly make some other dex considerations, as it both increases damage and accuracy. Attack rocks for drg's on penta, but they have high polearm skill. It's all about acc for consistency.

Get Byakko's Haidates ASAP if you're able to obtain them. Use them for WS and for TP. +15 DEX rocks.
 Hades.Kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2010-02-12 00:13:39
Link | Citer | R

Audra said:
Oh, just a tip for penta thrust... Stack DEX where you can. I do it on my WAR polearm build, and it does miracles. Example: Use 2x Thunder Rings. It's 10 DEX for mod, and 7.5 ACC. Or 1x Thunder Ring and your Rajas, since you seem to already have that one.

I'd definitely replace the STR ring with a DEX ring though... And possibly make some other dex considerations, as it both increases damage and accuracy. Attack rocks for drg's on penta, but they have high polearm skill. It's all about acc for consistency.

Get Byakko's Haidates ASAP if you're able to obtain them. Use them for WS and for TP. 15 DEX rocks.

Guess I'll try to firure out how much acc I'll need for like city-dyna ect, and make a few ws sets depending on what I'm fighting. For really evasive mobs I'll probably have to use GKT anyways.
By Audra 2010-02-12 00:19:13
Link | Citer | R

Well, accuracy caps at 95%. If you can reach the cap on birds then you have a 77.37809375% chance to land all 5 hits instead of a 59.049% with 90% hit rate.
 Hades.Kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2010-02-12 00:22:42
Link | Citer | R

Yeah but I probably wont fight birds alot, as all my current jobs are fully merited, and I'll probably merit sam on COR lol.

But tbh, I think my acc-issue will be in the tp-phase, not on penta =/
The virtouso belt thingy is easy to farm, can replace triumph ring with blood ring ect ect for penta, so should be easy to get 95% for that I guess.
By Audra 2010-02-12 00:25:39
Link | Citer | R

Penta Thrust is a 5 hit WS. 90% acc is 59.049% chance to land all 5 hits... 95% acc is 77.38% chance to land all 5 hits, just like the TP phase. I wouldn't recommend using polearm on much else other than birds o.O
 Hades.Kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2010-02-12 00:29:35
Link | Citer | R

Dont underestimate polearm on other stuff than birds, with attack buffs penta get a good dmg-bonus that will out-perform gkt on weaker mobs. (like city dynamis, lower tier einherjar)

So it certainly got its uses outside of merit :P
By Audra 2010-02-12 00:35:20
Link | Citer | R

Maybe in Nyzul Isle... But I'd never use it in Dynamis o.O Hagun is just too good for that sort of stuff.
 Seraph.Greyfin
Serveur: Seraph
user: Greyfin
By Seraph.Greyfin 2010-02-12 00:40:52
Link | Citer | R

I can use polearm just fine in Dynamis and use Red Curry buns as my food. City runs at least. Dream runs too. Only things i wouldnt are Xarca and Tav, Beauc i can still pull it off, but i would use pizza instead.
 Leviathan.Celestinia
Serveur: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2010-02-12 00:41:10
Link | Citer | R

Audra said:
Maybe in Nyzul Isle... But I'd never use it in Dynamis o.O Hagun is just too good for that sort of stuff.

Depends entirely on what buffs your getting and how good your gear is. Eating pizza+1 with brd buffs I can use a 5-hit 17% haste pole and be putting out 1.3-2k penta's vs 1-1.4k gekkos vs mamools/nyzul/dyna. Again it's highly situational and depends on buffs/gear.
First Page 2