New Player Advice/help

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » New player advice/help
New player advice/help
By kota1221 2022-06-29 01:04:29
Link | Citer | R

I am curious to hear from those more experienced than I. What is a good 3 man set up with trust support for me and my partner he is currently corsair and I leveled thief but I’ve seen monk thrown around. I will be leveling and dboxing a white mage as well.

As for what we would be getting into typical story missions into ambuscade and AF reforge then working through wanted NMs and Zitah and up.

So what would be best for us to mix and match job wise.
 Sylph.Ketsui
Serveur: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Lutia
By Sylph.Ketsui 2022-06-29 01:27:44
Link | Citer | R

PLD BRD COR and Savage Blade all the things.

Or WAR BRD COR and Savage Blade all the things.

BLU BRD COR and Savage Blade all the things might also work.
 Sylph.Ketsui
Serveur: Sylph
user: Lutia
By Sylph.Ketsui 2022-06-29 01:29:41
Link | Citer | R

I forgot to mention RDM BRD COR and Savage Blade all the things. My bad.
 Leviathan.Supernads
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Supernads
By Leviathan.Supernads 2022-06-29 05:31:19
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Ketsui said: »
I forgot to mention RDM BRD COR and Savage Blade all the things. My bad.

You can't discount THF BRD COR and evade... while Savage Blading all the things.
 Phoenix.Iocus
Serveur: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2022-06-29 08:03:16
Link | Citer | R

THF is really good in the situations it's good in. But that doesn't involve taking magic damage until you can gear yourself out of that problem and that is very later in the gearing game. Definitely keep it leveled for TH, it makes a lot of content much faster that is still relevant because of Treasure Hunter alone.

What people are trying to point out with humor is that COR and BRD are basically in most optimized party comps. It's not required to pass content, but it certainly trivializes it or makes it much more accessible if you don't have a ton of gear.

If you're sticking with COR and WHM, then just take anything that can take some hits and gear it really well. Anything with any native sword skill and it on Naegling will do.

WAR hits all damage types well, RDM does too but is a lot more gear, BLU hits slashing and Blunt and is as much work as RDM, PLD does a lot more damage than it used to at top level and certainly takes hits, NIN isn't as popular as it used to be but it's still well rounded.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Serveur: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-06-29 09:00:26
Link | Citer | R

kota1221 said: »
What is a good 3 man set up with trust support for me and my partner he is currently corsair and I leveled thief but I’ve seen monk thrown around. I will be leveling and dboxing a white mage as well.

WHM + COR forms a solid core (no pun intended), so you really just need to fill it out with any DD and you're good. THF is relatively easy to use, so if you have gear for that, it works. MNK is obviously tankier, and has a lot higher dps potential starting out. Much of MNK's useful gear can be bought right off the AH after 100 JPs, so that is also a plus. The weapon choice is also not too difficult to make, since Ambuscade weapons exist. Personally, I'd go for MNK since it is a bit easier to use at this stage, but THF is perfectly fine as well. I don't know what other jobs you have available, but honestly, just about any DD can fit in a 3-man setup just fine, so long as you're getting appropriate support. You could go PLD here, but I think for what you've described, the need for a harder hitting DPS is better than a heavier tank, IMO.

As far as trust combinations go (nobody has mentioned this), Cornelia is a mandatory. Since you have a real COR and WHM, there is no need to summon either of these trusts, so personally, I would go for a RDM like Koru-Moru or King of Hearts, for Haste2, Dia3, and Phalanx. This will magic cap at least the party leader for everything. Your third trust could be optional based on what you're doing, but I personally think Sylvie is the best DD support trust, period. She heals and -nas super fast, always prioritizes you, re-Hastes you if yours falls (and may even haste other party members), and uses Indi-Fury + EnGeo-Frailty on you, when available. She also survives hits better than most other mage trusts.
[+]
By kota1221 2022-06-29 16:59:08
Link | Citer | R

I am loving all of the advice thank you all so much for giving an old FF player some new advice. As for what I can play/move around anything is up for that. To be frank none of the jobs are locked in the two character I am dboxing can be what ever and the partner isn't a die hard corsair I just made that recommendation to him due it be capable of good dps and buffs.

TLDR: make any all recommendations for us sans my initial launch of what classes we have leveled. Triple exp chain is what 2 weeks away, I can always re level then.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-06-29 17:30:21
Link | Citer | R

I'd still stick with something like WHM-DD-COR (or BRD, but that's much harder to gear). It's a solid core that can pretty much accomplish everything you asked in the OP. Like I said, practically every job is interchangeable, but I think some jobs mentioned like WAR and MNK are incredibly easy and have general appeal. Pick the job that feels the most fun for you and go with it.
[+]
By kota1221 2022-06-29 17:53:36
Link | Citer | R

Sounds good thank you Buukki and others for all the advice it means a lot! I cant wait to be overwhelmed with options as to what to do first at 99.

side note on trusts would AA-EV and/or August still be worth anything to us or just pile on the support?
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-06-29 18:02:26
Link | Citer | R

They work fine if you need a tank, but they don't hold hate really well on much of anything. Kind of a wasted slot to me. Sometimes I summon one to take the initial brunt of attacks while my other trusts buff me, but they are mostly weak and take up a spot that could be used by a support.
 Phoenix.Iocus
Serveur: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2022-06-29 21:16:40
Link | Citer | R

Trust tanks can't be charmed so they are useful at least some of the time, but they really stop being able to keep hate once you start cooking. THF trick attack and SCH Caper and Animus Augeo/Minuo spells can stretch a trust tank much further, but you will eventually outpace them in any longer content.

EV is very decent at curing and not dying, August keeps hate better in some situations, Valanareal is not very secretly an AoE death machine against trash for merits and easy content.
By Nariont 2022-06-30 01:43:40
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
(or BRD, but that's much harder to gear).

Is it though? I agree if were talking remas but 3 song with atleast +4 isnt too straining to get, would take it over cor personally just due to wider range of support that songs provide, especially once cornelia goes away again.

To OP you having a pocket whm is already a huge plus, on less intensive stuff having it able to swap to geo or brd and heal on the side can be huge too, as far as THF goes itll work but i always feel very limited with thf since beyond its high evasion it doesnt have much for utility/defense, would consider dnc or nin that can fill in as both a tank and dd effectively, but any DD can work