Forum » Windower » Support » windower crashes when updating
windower crashes when updating
 Odin.Alauna
Serveur: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Alauna 2021-10-20 15:56:02
Link | Citer | R

Hey all,

4-year itch got me again, and I'm trying to get back into the game.

I was able to get my ffxi account working again, game updated, and logging in, but I'm having an issue getting my old installation of Windower to update.

I've tried re-installing from scratch, but I get the error message that "Installation directory must be on a local hard drive", no matter which HD i try (C: or E:)

I've also tried copying the folder from C: to E:, but I end up with the same crash log error.

I know FFXI and Windower ran just fine on this machine years ago, not sure what might be causing an issue. Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Windows Vista
Windower version: 4.3.7757.25903

Crash log:

´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´
[ 4.3.7757.25903 ] 2021-10-20 20:37:49.7028151 UTC
---------------------------------------------------------------------
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Program Files\Windower4\updates\temp\70551617-01cd-4bf7-a8a6-d7a4fbeb2c06' is denied.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize)
at System.IO.File.OpenFile(String path, FileAccess access, SafeFileHandle& handle)
at System.IO.File.SetLastWriteTimeUtc(String path, DateTime lastWriteTimeUtc)
at Launcher.Tasks.FileDownloadTask.DownloadFile(HttpWebResponse response, String file)
at Launcher.Tasks.FileDownloadTask.DownloadFile(String uri, String file, DateTime modified)
at Launcher.Tasks.UpdateCoreTask.UpdateHook(String path, String tempdir)
at Launcher.Tasks.UpdateCoreTask.RunGuarded()
at Launcher.Tasks.GuardedTask.Run()
at Launcher.Tasks.Task.Run(Core core)
at Launcher.Core.Run()
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´
By Jetackuu 2021-10-20 18:24:03
Link | Citer | R

A. I may be wrong but I don't think Vista is supported anymore (if ever, really).

B. ask on windower's discord, would be a much better resource.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
By RadialArcana 2021-10-20 20:21:22
Link | Citer | R

Does it run without windower?
 Odin.Alauna
Serveur: Odin
By Odin.Alauna 2021-10-21 04:56:50
Link | Citer | R

Yes, the application should have full right/control to the folder location.

Yes, I can run the game as vanilla.
 Lakshmi.Cesil
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Valkyrie
By Lakshmi.Cesil 2021-10-21 09:56:32
Link | Citer | R

Yeah I'm wondering if Vista is the issue.

I remember back in the day I tried ffxi on Vista and it wasn't working well. I had to back to XP.

Are you able to upgrade to windows 11? :)
By Jetackuu 2021-10-21 11:07:00
Link | Citer | R

So a couple things, starting with skip the installer for now. Manually create a directory at C:\windower and place the windoer.exe there.

Windower.exe

run it as an admin, if that doesn't work then I'd probably think you have an antivirus blocking it. If that isn't the case then go to the windower discord and talk to them.

edit: I asked, the 32bit OS shouldn't be an issue.