2 People On 2 Chars On 1 Pc.

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Windower » General » 2 people on 2 chars on 1 pc.
2 people on 2 chars on 1 pc.
 Shiva.Eightball
Serveur: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Eightball 2021-10-15 14:02:49
Link | Citer | R

I searched several terms that I could think of to find something like this, I somewhat recall a discussion along these lines but idk where it is.

I was looking into a new computer just to allow my son to play with me on the 2 accounts I already have but that was looking expensive, is there any way to allow for 2 instances of ffxi on one PC with different control inputs?
 Leviathan.Boposhopo
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Boposhopo
By Leviathan.Boposhopo 2021-10-15 14:14:15
Link | Citer | R

Windows Multipoint, but I think they stopped working on that with Server 2016. Aster offers a similar option, but not sure if it's any good.
 Bahamut.Dajjal
Serveur: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Dajjal 2021-10-15 15:19:46
Link | Citer | R

I did this as a proof of concept once, but you need to be fairly techy. Here's the bullet points of what I did (not a guide):

• Build a pc with 2 GPUs (3 is better)

• Install some flavor of linux (any is fine, I used debian)

• Set up two windows virtual machines

• Use vt-d or iommu to passthrough the two gpus to the windows VMs (note if you only have 2 GPUs the hypervisor wont have one so you will have to manage it remotely)

• Passthrough a keyboard and mouse to each VM

• Plug a monitor into each GPU

• Install FFXI on the VM

This would let you each play with a keyboard, mouse and monitor. It would likely be less cost efficient than just buying an old dell off ebay and playing our 19 year old game on it. But it can be done. Linus tech tips did a setup similar to this and had 7 GPUs for 7 gamers on one pc.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2021-10-15 15:37:57
Link | Citer | R

You can play one instance with the keyboard and the other with the controller, the one in focus will be keyboard and the one out of focus on the 2nd monitor will be controller. You have to turn controller support off fore yours and then on for the 2nd instance at launching though.

I've done this while controlling two characters on the same pc.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2021-10-15 15:54:54
Link | Citer | R

You xould run the game in 2 VMs but natively there's not a simple way to split input between instances. I was talking to the good Windower folk about it awhile back, and based on the description it's beyond my skill to figure out.

You could try running a single instance of vmware player for the other account, lock it's resolution, and just assign it the inputs, it should do it as long as you have the tools installed for the direct3d acceleration.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2021-10-15 15:57:38
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Dajjal said: »
Linus tech tips
funny, as he's a hack. Like better than most though, so...

As I started typing my above before this appeared I'll just add: that works too, vut you could do it with 2 gpu, 1 for host and XI and 1 for VM, don't need linux as the host.
 Bahamut.Shozokui
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Shozokui
By Bahamut.Shozokui 2021-10-15 18:41:16
Link | Citer | R

I haven't done this personally, but the logic is sound if you meet the requirements for shared GPU & Hyper-V.

YouTube Video Placeholder

Just a heads up though, if you play anything like Escape From Tarkov, the games will flag that your computer has Hyper-V running and boot you. Not ban, but boot. An annoying little thing if use Windows Subsystem for Linux.